THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If QC were adapted into a "kid friendly" animated series, how would you like to see the cast portrayed?

cartoony humans
anthropomorphic ducks
anthropomorphic dogs
anthropomorphic cats
anthropomorphic mice
anthropomorphic reptiles
an assortment of anthropomorphic animals
cutesy monsters

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3741 to 3745 (May 14th - 18th 2018)  (Read 92893 times)

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
Re: WCDT strips 3741 to 3745 (May 14th - 18th 2018)
« Reply #450 on: 20 May 2018, 14:18 »

>3589

That particular one was recalling, not imagining. It could be Faye's mind beginning to recognize that Bubbles loves her.
I interpreted Faye's smile, upon recalling Bubbles saying she was beautiful, as simply being happy that someone thinks she is beautiful, when she has long thought of herself as less than so. Lots of girls tell each other they're beautiful without any romantic intentions, so Faye may not have inferred any romance in Bubbles' comment either.
When, in the course of human events,
You can keep your head when all about you
Took the one less traveled by,
It's up to you to cremate those last remains.

Inconsequential

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #451 on: 20 May 2018, 15:17 »

Longtime reader and lurker here.

I have to say the Faye and Bubbles relationship has drawn me in like almost nothing else has.

I've read and seen a heck of a lot of great fiction, and I have to say I love the world-building in QC. Jeph has remarked a few times that he's worked out a lot more than he puts in the comics, and it shows.

I mean, I've read the Silmarillion several times, and enjoy Tolkein's universe immensely. Yeah, I love me some backstory, and I dig them details.

A couple of details I just love:

Apparently kissing a robot like Bubbles is pretty great. And as you rummage through old comics since the latest crop of humanoid chassis suddenly hit the market (when Momo got her new body) it's apparent that the humanoid versions have "real" mouths they actually use to speak, with mobile, sensitive, and expressive lips and tongues and teeth; it's not a speaker or buzzer with a face making expressions around it. (Some other robot chassis do only have a speaker, of course.) So yeah, Faye isn't just smooching a piece of plastic. She's smooching Bubbles, and Bubbles is smooching back.

And lots of other details are so well done -- the body language the last few years is superb, especially the hands. When Bubbles nervously took her hair down while talking to Tai, didn't you just melt with the sheer vulnerability expressed through such a simple act? (And dang, doesn't she look incredible with her hair down?) And as others have mentioned, a few hundred comics back Bubbles explained how she uses a special solution to grow hair, and over time she has slowly changed her hairstyle from combat-ready to more casual.

And of course, there's enough inconsistency, illogic, and such a wide range of personalities to keep things pretty "real" -- the real universe and real people don't make a lot of sense sometimes, and the QC-verse is also messy enough to be endlessly interesting and believable.

I also love how Jeph has pulled off one of the toughest writing feats ever -- making believable intelligences who aren't us. They're derived from us, sure, but they have their own points of views, their own emotional lives, and their own bizarre senses of humor.

I could go on. And on. Man, could I go on.

It's all drawn me in to the story and I'm invested to a degree I didn't expect. Faye finally figuring things out and making her "leap" hit me so frickin' hard.

This is a lot more than a good webcomic -- this is great writing, great art, and a great story.

I can't wait to see where it goes next.

Now, back to lurking...

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #452 on: 20 May 2018, 17:46 »

If QC were adapted into a "kid friendly" animated series, how would you like to see the cast portrayed?

cartoony humans    41 (36.6%)
an assortment of anthropomorphic animals    35 (31.3%)
cutesy monsters    15 (13.4%)
anthropomorphic cats    8 (7.1%)
anthropomorphic ducks    5 (4.5%)
anthropomorphic reptiles    5 (4.5%)
anthropomorphic dogs    2 (1.8%)
anthropomorphic mice    1 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 79
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #453 on: 20 May 2018, 18:30 »

Welcome, not really new person, and do feel free to keep posting if you want.

I agree entirely. Bubbles is drawn and developed and given dialog that is engaging and proof the artist has Mad Skillz. I am constantly wanting to see her character explored more.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

fayelovesbubbles

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #454 on: 20 May 2018, 18:35 »

I interpreted Faye's smile, upon recalling Bubbles saying she was beautiful, as simply being happy that someone thinks she is beautiful, when she has long thought of herself as less than so. Lots of girls tell each other they're beautiful without any romantic intentions, so Faye may not have inferred any romance in Bubbles' comment either.

But...she blushed...what does that tell you?
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #455 on: 20 May 2018, 18:38 »

None of us imagined how things would end up.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #456 on: 20 May 2018, 18:47 »

I missed that! It was subtle but unmistakable once it's pointed out.

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #457 on: 20 May 2018, 19:18 »

I'm reasonably sure that this was discussed at the time, but blushing does not necessarily imply romantic thoughts.

It does tell me that Faye was deeply flattered at being thought to be attractive.

It's reasonable to assume that the exchange was a part of their growing attachment to each other.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #458 on: 20 May 2018, 19:37 »

Her blushing doesn't really tell me much of anything. If someone unexpectedly said I was attractive, I'd blush too. It wouldn't matter if it was my best friend, or a woman I'm attracted to, or my own mother (yes, she has said it, and yes, I did blush). In my own experience, it's the unexpectedness of the remark - and not knowing how to respond - that inspires the blushing.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #459 on: 20 May 2018, 19:49 »

I don't know. The expression on her face, the blushing, the fact that she took the time to imagine Bubbles yet again, makes me think...yeah, there was more there.

We never really saw Bubbles imagining Faye. She said "I had accepted that I would never be able to act on my feelings," so maybe it was easier for her to just not do it, it would only feel worse because she couldn't be with Faye.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #460 on: 20 May 2018, 19:58 »

We never really saw Bubbles imagining Faye. She said "I had accepted that I would never be able to act on my feelings," so maybe it was easier for her to just not do it, it would only feel worse because she couldn't be with Faye.
True, we didn't see her imagining Faye, but she did make a couple comments that gave a pretty good indication that she was indeed thinking about her, even if she tried not to. I can relate... thinking about someone you'd love to have a relationship with, but being pretty sure it's just not feasible. You try not to think about them, but sometimes those thoughts just pop in there.

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #461 on: 20 May 2018, 20:11 »

I don't know. The expression on her face, the blushing, the fact that she took the time to imagine Bubbles yet again, makes me think...yeah, there was more there.

Upon looking back with 20/20 vision it is easy to say it was a precursor to their current entanglement but at the time it could have meant anything.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #462 on: 20 May 2018, 20:12 »

I think Bubbles was trying not to think about Faye that way. I said that if the kissing was a fantasy, it was Faye's and not Bubbles' because Bubbles simply wouldn't have fantasies like that, or would try really hard not to.

Honestly this really could have gone any way. It really WAS looking like Faye was not interested in Bubbles at all. Right up until they were about to kiss. All of the "just friends" people had a point, in my mind, even I was thinking it wasn't going to happen.

It was so beautiful in a way, because in real life, when it seems like it isn't going to happen, it usually doesn't.

Once the shoulder rub incident happened it did seem possible, for the first time, really. But none of us knew. I'm just glad it ended up the way it did. And that I don't have to register a new username...

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #463 on: 20 May 2018, 20:14 »

Upon looking back with 20/20 vision it is easy to say it was a precursor to their current entanglement but at the time it could have meant anything.

At the time it happened, without knowing what would happen next, I honestly did think it was a sign that Faye had caught feelings.

It's one thing to blush at an unexpected compliment, as Faye did at the time, but another to replay it in your mind while in bed, while half asleep, with your guard down. Thinking about someone while you're in bed might mean you wish they were in your bed with you.

It would be pretty gnarly for me to fantasize about someone while they're in the room.

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #464 on: 20 May 2018, 20:17 »

At the time it happened, without knowing what would happen next, I honestly did think it was a sign that Faye had caught feelings.

So did I if I'm being honest but it could have meant anything.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #465 on: 20 May 2018, 20:20 »

Closing your eyes, smiling and blushing like that usually means you have feelings for the person you're imagining. Faye wasn't able to accept it yet. After her sister visited and said things, she had another moment, then said "it can't be." At that time she realized she had feelings.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #466 on: 20 May 2018, 20:56 »

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3589

This is when people should have realized that Faye didn't just like Bubbles in a friend way.

"But friendship is sacred and romance is lower form of love!"  :roll:

I'd just like to say that all of these sarcastic asides casting shade on those who were happy with Bubbles and Faye enjoying a close friendship are getting a touch tiresome. I personally am genuinely pleased for Bubbles and Faye as well as those who got the outcome they wished for, but is this continued gloating really necessary?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #467 on: 20 May 2018, 21:32 »

Closing your eyes, smiling and blushing like that usually means you have feelings for the person you're imagining. Faye wasn't able to accept it yet. After her sister visited and said things, she had another moment, then said "it can't be." At that time she realized she had feelings.
Again, I had read that differently. I thought that Faye suddenly realized what Amanda had been trying to say back at the diner. But her "it can't be" was because she still didn't see it that way. I honestly don't think Faye consciously knew there was anything there until the backrub moment, when she suddenly looked back with 20/20 hindsight, and realized that all those subtle little hints had been pointing to something real all along, and not just her imagination running amok.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #468 on: 20 May 2018, 21:54 »

I normally don't post on the forums. But I felt compelled to register at this Bubbles/Faye turn of events because we talking about a robot/human pairing. Jeph is normally pretty smart about this sort of thing so I hope he's worked out the science behind this arc or I'm going to be really disappointed.

When you eliminate all the romanticized nonsense behind human coupling, the bottom line is that humans are driven to pair up because of hormonal and chemical influence. It is literally a biological physical need for oxytocin, dopamine, serotonin, endorphins, and other mood stabilizing chemicals that produces the pain and longing we feel when we are lacking physical affection. Faye I can understand because she hasn't gotten laid in months and really isn't all that affectionate with her circle of friends. She is touch starved and her body is responding to any physical stimulus.

Bubbles on the other hand is a machine. A sentient and sapient machine with an artificial, humanlike consciousness to be certain, but a machine nonetheless. She has no biological needs, because she is not a biological being. What logic processes are being satisfied by this interaction and why do those processes exist in the first place? This is not a matter of "just feeling it" because feelings are tied directly to the physical body through the chemicals that are produced during moments of intense emotion, and you can't have emotion without internal biological organs. So outside of a bunch of algorithms designed to mimic or present a simulacrum of human emotion, even with a humanlike consciousness, a machine can not feel the same way a human does. So what is Bubbles getting out of her relationship with Faye turning physical?

The narrative needs to address the science in some way because right now it feels like lazy fan-fiction.

Sorry, I came to this a little late, but I felt it necessary to address.  I have one thing to say;

Yes, the single most linked comic in the forum (which is why I didn't bother, the mere number is enough). 

And at the bottom is Jeph's entire explanation of what Bubbles gets out of it, and I quote: 

"No one is quite sure who decided it would be useful for artificial intelligences to possess libidos, but it is generally agreed that it would be more trouble than it is worth to remove it. Besides, the horny little buggers would revolt."

Jeph has been able to write fantastically believable AI by doing just this - it's a wave of the hand, a non-explanation treated as fact.  And it works.  We don't know how these "horny little buggers" came about or how they work, but like the two facebook bots that were developing their own language, we don't need to understand it to know that it happened.  It's fact. 

Now, it's true that libido could be a liability for a combat bot, s it can be for a soldier.  That's part of military training, though.  I doubt it's actually non-existant, but in Bubbles' case I'm sure - along with many other emotions - it's been pushed way, way down. 

It's good to see her able to feel again.  Perhaps for the first time. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #469 on: 21 May 2018, 11:57 »

Now, it's true that libido could be a liability for a combat bot, s it can be for a soldier.  That's part of military training, though.  I doubt it's actually non-existant, but in Bubbles' case I'm sure - along with many other emotions - it's been pushed way, way down. 
Having spent what was at the time 1/5th of my life in the military, I feel qualified to say that trying to push down a GI's libido is a fool's errand (not that there aren't fools willing to make the attempt).

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #470 on: 21 May 2018, 12:06 »

I'd just like to say that all of these sarcastic asides casting shade on those who were happy with Bubbles and Faye enjoying a close friendship are getting a touch tiresome. I personally am genuinely pleased for Bubbles and Faye as well as those who got the outcome they wished for, but is this continued gloating really necessary?

I’m sorry but...a little?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #471 on: 21 May 2018, 16:01 »

Well, thanks for your honesty. Welcome to my ignore list.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #472 on: 21 May 2018, 16:55 »

Oh wow. Yikes. It’s like that? I thought we were cool...

I don’t think this is something to block people over? I’m not trying to fight with anyone here.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #473 on: 21 May 2018, 17:28 »

Reading a story isn't a competitive event.  Pretending to have  "won"  is  ugly and dumb.  A spot on a block list shouldn't be a surprise if you go so far as to treat someone badly about it.

I'm happy to see the ship get launched.  Honestly, I am.  It's a nice moment for these two characters, and has some warm fuzzies attached.  But it got really tedious in here with people declaring that they wanted it to happen, or it had to happen, or they'd be mad if it didn't happen, instead of having the common respect to just wait for the artist to tell the story before feelings of vast entitlement made them feel like they had a right to demand that the artist give them a particular story. 

And treating the start of a romantic relationship as a resolution of anything doesn't work either.  What happened without conflict isn't resolution, it's progression.  The ship getting launched is either part of the "happily ever after" coda from the Corpse Witch story - although it comes a bit too long after it for that to really work -  or part of the setup of a new story. Either way, it's a minor event in terms of story plotting, however nice it is for the characters.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #474 on: 21 May 2018, 18:19 »

I agree with all of this. I think it has been one of Jeph's better stories. Watching Bubbles open up has been satisfying, as well as Faye's gradual realisation that she does indeed love Bubbles. Now they face significant challenge as they navigate a new relationship while both living and working with each other. It will be interesting to see it unfold.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #475 on: 21 May 2018, 18:19 »

Global Moderator Comment I'm worried this is heading toward getting personal. It's Just A Comic. It's a remarkably good one, especially now, but when you list things to get bent out of shape over, QC should not be on the list.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #476 on: 21 May 2018, 18:22 »

Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm not as bent out of shape as you're perhaps thinking. I've just chosen to stop reading posts I'm no longer interested in seeing.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #477 on: 21 May 2018, 19:50 »

I think blocking me is a little much. Especially when I haven’t been intentionally gloating or anything. I was being tongue in cheek but now I’m blocked by someone. Jeez.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #478 on: 21 May 2018, 23:28 »

I think blocking me is a little much. Especially when I haven’t been intentionally gloating or anything.

You literally responded to the question "is gloating necessary" in the affirmative. Unless that was an accident, I'm not sure how to interpret it as anything but intentional.

If it were me, and I asked if people felt doing a thing that was getting on my nerves was necessary, I'd feel okay about blocking anyone who said "yes," too. Because they evidently feel it's necessary, so they're going to do it - or keep doing it, as the case may be - and I don't want to see it anymore, so the only solution for me to not see it is to block/ignore them.

It's nothing personal. It's just logical.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #479 on: 22 May 2018, 00:35 »

Global Moderator Comment I removed a post which amounted to encouragement to continue bad behaviour. Since this thread is last week's in any case, and is no longer constructively discussing the comic, I think it's time to close it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up