THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 11:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What will happen this week? (Select two options)

Cute Faybles pillow talk
- 30 (23.3%)
Awkward Faybles pillow talk
- 18 (14%)
The backlash starts - Not everyone is happy with the news
- 6 (4.7%)
Marten and Claire try to congratulate the new couple; this could go well or badly!
- 17 (13.2%)
Pintsize should have learned his lesson when Bubbles crushed his head!
- 6 (4.7%)
Tortura spends five strips berating Steve for not making an honest woman of Cossette (over cereal)
- 8 (6.2%)
Roko and Melon having an ironic conversation (not that they know it) about whether humans could ever be romantically interested in AIs
- 13 (10.1%)
Dora and Tai have a cute argument over who saw it coming first
- 5 (3.9%)
Brun is confused about why Elliott and Clinton are so awkward around her. Renee tries to explain
- 23 (17.8%)
Other (please specify in a comment)
- 3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3746 to 3750 (21st to 25th May 2018)  (Read 81414 times)

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
Re: WCDT strips 3746 to 3750 (21st to 25th May 2018)
« Reply #200 on: 22 May 2018, 18:56 »

I think you may have hit on the critical point, in that Momo does not have two large bags of air inside her. But I have to wonder if "density" is the right term. After all, I think of a submarine as being quite dense (and having great mass as well), but because it is filled with air, it can float. Perhaps I am just thinking of "density" in the wrong way.

I'm sorry, but you are. If the object is full of air (be it lungs or a submarine) it's less dense. That's why a ship floats, because its overall density is less than the water it's floating on. The high density of the hull is counteracted because the total volume of the ship is mostly full of air. A submarine dives by pumping sea water into ballast tanks to increase its overall density to the point where it sinks in the water, and rises back to the surface by pumping the water out again.* 

There's no way around it, if Momo sinks when a human of the same volume would float, it has to be because she has extra mass raising her density above the point where she ceases to be buoyant. Physics demands it.

*for perfect clarity, a submarine can actually dive and rise through the water by angling the hydroplanes so that the forward movement also pushes it down or up, in the same way a plane changes altitude, but sustaining depth, especially when the sub isn't moving that fast (creeping along at slow speed to keep quiet is a submarine thing) is best achieved by manipulating the level of seawater in the ballast tanks.

To turn this back to relevance, in Bubble's case her mass can't be significantly higher than Faye. In the last panel of the current comic, she's currently on top and Faye isn't being crushed.  :-P

Undrneath

« Reply #201 on: 22 May 2018, 18:58 »

They don't need the health talk or the baby-proofing talk.

WE ARE WORKING ON THAT TECHNOLOGY
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

SpanielBear

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #202 on: 22 May 2018, 18:58 »

"Will being lovers interfere with being business partners?"

How would it?

As just one example- when they had their moment of epiphany, they were alone in the shop. This will not always be the case. They might want to talk about what level of PDA they each are comfortable with.

And that's assuming everything's going swimmingly. All relationships have ups and downs. They need to be ready to work together even after a row. Which I'm sure they can do, it's just worth thinking about ways to make that more manageable, if possible.

Also, like I said before- Toto.

Vern LaVey

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #203 on: 22 May 2018, 19:00 »

The latest comic gave me an idea for the best avatar image ever.  I think I'll use it on other forums and social media as well.

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #204 on: 22 May 2018, 19:05 »

Suddenly, Faye discovers an unpleasant allergy to some of the materials that make up Bubbles dermal layer.  :-D

How would it?

There's the short term honeymoon period where they're distracted and slowing down the work. For example, they closed early today. Also too much grabby grabby kissy kissy might bother customers.

Beyond that, I can't think of anything. They're the sole proprietors, and equal partners, so there's no power imbalance, and no other employees to worry about favoritism. The occasional spat might interfere with the work, but not really more than it would have before.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #205 on: 22 May 2018, 19:06 »

Perhaps I am just thinking of "density" in the wrong way.
Density is mathematically defined as something's mass divided by how much space it takes up. Submarines are heavy, sure, but they take up more space than the same weight of water, so they're less dense, and they float. In fact, they change their depth by taking parts of their volume taken up by air and replacing them with heavier water, which increases their density so they sink.

I don't mean to interrupt the thread by continuing with the physics, but I'm an engineering major with little to no relationship experience so this is what I can contribute to the convo at the moment  :psyduck:
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Staff_Inflection

• Plantmonster
« Reply #206 on: 22 May 2018, 19:11 »

Okay, I don't have much (okay any) experience with relationships, but...I don't really see the need to discuss anything...?

"Will being lovers interfere with being business partners?"

Basically this. They are business partners first and foremost. There are several logistical reasons why most companies I've worked for discourage "fraternization" between employees outside of work (unless its on an approved job function) every company I've worked for expressly forbade relationships when one employee had seniority over another

Aside from that, any on-screen discussion would be for the benefit of the audience. They are, as far as we know in the QC-verse, an entirely unique couple

Greymoon

• Plantmonster
« Reply #207 on: 22 May 2018, 19:11 »

Beyond that, I can't think of anything. They're the sole proprietors, and equal partners, so there's no power imbalance, and no other employees to worry about favoritism. The occasional spat might interfere with the work, but not really more than it would have before.

There is also that whole "we are a shop that exists solely for the purpose of robotics repair and a portion of our customer base may not approve of our relationship" thing that may end up being an issue.
DO NOT TAINT PEGASUS COVE WITH TALK OF DILDOS

Staff_Inflection

• Plantmonster
« Reply #208 on: 22 May 2018, 19:17 »

There is also that whole "we are a shop that exists solely for the purpose of robotics repair and a portion of our customer base may not approve of our relationship" thing that may end up being an issue.

They have a lot to consider. Their immediate social circle is one thing when it comes to approval. EX: Both Tai and Claire appear to have been "shipping" this for some time. Marten and Dora are obviously aware and others (like Clinton) obviously had their suspicions

But what about outside their immediate social circle? Like I said, they might possibly be a unique couple

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #209 on: 22 May 2018, 19:21 »

Uhh...I would have thought they were FRIENDS first and foremost?

They're not going to make out in the middle of the shop. They aren't going to do that and make everyone uncomfortable. While it's true that they did it that one time, they won't again.

Okay, fine. I guess there are things to discuss... "So let's agree, no PDA in the shop, it makes customers uncomfortable." "Okay."

...and Bubbles loves Faye.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #210 on: 22 May 2018, 19:28 »

I was so busy thinking about the humans who disapprove that I didn't even stop to consider the AIs who don't approve, I'm sure there are plenty of them. I want to think that Jeremy, Seven, Punchbot would be supportive. May obviously always shipped it. I can't imagine Momo being a jerk about it, since she had a crush on Sven. And Winslow is such a sweetie that I can't imagine him having an issue. But I'm sure there are AIs who would be assholes about it. Can they just not appear in the comic, because that would be great...

Roko, well, she likes human abs, so yeah.

It's funny noticing how many AIs actually have crushes on humans.

Undrneath

« Reply #211 on: 22 May 2018, 19:29 »

Once a friendship becomes romantic whether you want it to or not everything changes. We will see if those changes are for the better or not. (I hope they are)
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Undrneath

« Reply #212 on: 22 May 2018, 19:34 »

I would imagine AI's like PT410X will have a problem with an AI/human relationship.
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #213 on: 22 May 2018, 19:47 »

They're not going to make out in the middle of the shop. They aren't going to do that and make everyone uncomfortable. While it's true that they did it that one time, they won't again.

Okay, fine. I guess there are things to discuss... "So let's agree, no PDA in the shop, it makes customers uncomfortable." "Okay."

If they have an argument about their relationship, how will it impact their work performance? If they have an argument about the business, how will it impact their home life? What if, heaven forbid, they break up? How will that impact the shop? Will one of them leave? Who?

Will they even talk about work at home? Will they talk about home at work?

What about PDAs? OK, so no sloppy make-outs in the shop. What about kissing that doesn't rise to that level? Hugging? Touching Bubbles's butt? (HA! Bubble butt!)

And that's just making their work/home life balance work. They also need to talk about any anxieties they're bringing with them. Does Faye need a lot of physical affection? Does Bubbles prefer a little distance? How often do they prefer to have sex? (Honestly, that's an issue that can have a big impact on a relationship if one partner wants sex most days and the other is happy having sex once a week). Since they're working and living together, how do they manage having some time apart? And a million other things that they'll think of and we wont.

It's tempting to think that they can take these issues as they come, but knowing what your issues are and having a plan greatly increases a relationship's chances for success. Problems are easier to overcome when you know they're there. It also helps to create a baseline of confronting issues directly and trusting your partner to take them seriously and help resolve them.

So there is a lot to talk about. There will always be a lot to talk about. They will need to have a big talk tomorrow and the day after and the day after that. I mean, not literally every day, but that kind of communication needs to be ongoing for the life of the relationship.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #214 on: 22 May 2018, 19:47 »

Yep. He's not in the comic much, and it seems like he's not really involved with any of the main characters other than Pintsize. It's not like he's going to stop by the shop and see Faye and Bubbles making out. But if he did, yes, he'd have some choice, colorful words to say about it. Now I'm reminded of the robot cuss, ASDF (was looking through the archives).

The rules that Bubbles and Faye will make:

Cool it on the PDA around our friends.
NO PDA in the shop. What happened earlier was just us having a moment, it won't happen again.
No lovers' quarrels in the shop. Strictly professional when we're working.
No breaking the bed. :D

hmm...that's a good start to the list.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #215 on: 22 May 2018, 19:50 »

Okay, I'm going to give the cop out answer that they aren't going to have any problems with their business because they rock at it. So they won't argue at home about it because it won't be an issue. : p

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #216 on: 22 May 2018, 19:53 »

Regarding PDAs that could make some people uncomfortable, especially in relationships that some people would disapprove of, it is very much a thing of context.  Some would be mortified or afraid, and some consider them reassuring.  It's one of those "Listen to your partner" issues where it's best to figure out what it means before going one way or the other.  So, definitely, part of the Talk.

One of my exes wanted PDAs, specifically, in front of people in both our lives, as a statement that "our relationship is not a dirty little secret and we are not ashamed to be seen together."  I didn't have a problem with that.  It was a need for reassurance and validation that grew out of lessons learned, for her.  She'd been in a furtive relationship that nobody wanted to acknowledge, and been treated badly, and was flatly refusing to be somebody's "disposable" or "secret" relationship again.   

Anyway, the reaction of people in our lives or the urge to keep things secret was a possible issue with us because her skin was a different color than mine (and that mattered to a few people around there at the time) and it had been an issue with the previous lover who hurt her because that had been a same-sex relationship.

Inconsequential

« Reply #217 on: 22 May 2018, 20:08 »

On another note, am I crazy or did anyone besides me think that Faye letting Bubbles walk in when she wasn't wearing pants was her way of trying to bring things to a conclusion? Turned out it was the back rub, but I feel like the "You said you were decent!" thing was Faye being a little mischievous.

I read that as just Faye being fairly clueless. She likely read Bubbles' discomfiture as some sort of prudishness, not attraction.

And Faye wasn't actually nekkid or anything -- she's walked around in front of Marten in a t-shirt and underwear.

And let's not forget Faye's history -- she is remarkably good at and stubborn about ignoring and diverting the contents of her own head. Up to a point.

Overall, this relationship is built on very solid foundations. They've both become much healthier and stronger people, thanks to each other and all they've experienced. Heck, they even figured out how to resolve conflict in healthy ways. How many human couples ever get that right?

They'll continue to "figure it out".

keithcurtis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #218 on: 22 May 2018, 21:04 »

You know, looking back a couple of days at the poker game, it occurs to me it might be kind of funny and cool to maybe come to some kind of arrangement with other webcomics that have AI characters or sidekicks, and have them all sit down for a poker game now and then, whenever any particular webcomic feels like doing an issue with them.

I don't know too many, personally, since I don't read a lot of webcomics anymore, but you could have Pintsize or Winslow from here, X-Bot from CAD, maybe one of the AIs from Quantum Vibe.  Like I said, I don't know of too many bots in webcomics, but I'm sure there's more.

Maybe even have guest cameos from more famous robots, if copyright isn't a big concern; like Bender from Futurama, Rosie from The Jetsons, Robot from Lost in Space, etc.
im sure David Willis wouldn't object to Ultracar(la). Some of the others in the cast have survived the Soggies.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #219 on: 22 May 2018, 21:07 »

I would imagine AI's like PT410X will have a problem with an AI/human relationship.
Yeah, but PT410x has problems with just about everyone.

Density is mathematically defined as something's mass divided by how much space it takes up. Submarines are heavy, sure, but they take up more space than the same weight of water, so they're less dense, and they float. In fact, they change their depth by taking parts of their volume taken up by air and replacing them with heavier water, which increases their density so they sink.

I don't mean to interrupt the thread by continuing with the physics, but I'm an engineering major with little to no relationship experience so this is what I can contribute to the convo at the moment
Don't apologize on my account. I understand broad concepts, such as the principles by which a submarine surfaces and submerges (and the difference between diving under propulsion and simply changing depth using the ballast tanks), but I'm not an engineering (or any other science) major, so simple terms like "density" have serious technical definitions that I've never actually needed to know. It honestly feels a bit silly, since my personal vocabulary is rather large, to not know the correct scientific meaning of such a basic term. Physics was not my strong suit in school.
When, in the course of human events,
You can keep your head when all about you
Took the one less traveled by,
It's up to you to cremate those last remains.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #220 on: 22 May 2018, 22:01 »

You're not in a minority there. The way words get used in common vernacular often differ wildly to how the same words get used in engineering terms. I think it's because words in physics and engineering contexts have to be precise and predictable because the whole point of the field is to describe phenomena as precisely and predictably as possible, whereas trying to hold that level of precision and predictability in casual conversation is difficult, unnecessary, and boring. In fact, I'm pretty sure pedants (like me!) Are just folks who are bothered by that gap in precision. Some common examples are mass vs  weight, heat vs temperature, acceleration vs deceleration, centrifugal vs centripetal. The list goes on for a long while.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #221 on: 22 May 2018, 22:05 »

The discussion is happening, but it's being expressed in the form of interpretive dance
oh god

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #222 on: 22 May 2018, 22:12 »

I want to point out that Jeeves was Bertie Wooster's valet, not his butler. Though I am told that he could butle with the best of them.
Similar social standing, though, in a tier that could generally afford bowlers but probably not Homburgs.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #223 on: 22 May 2018, 22:35 »

You know, looking back a couple of days at the poker game, it occurs to me it might be kind of funny and cool to maybe come to some kind of arrangement with other webcomics that have AI characters or sidekicks, and have them all sit down for a poker game now and then, whenever any particular webcomic feels like doing an issue with them.

I don't know too many, personally, since I don't read a lot of webcomics anymore, but you could have Pintsize or Winslow from here, X-Bot from CAD, maybe one of the AIs from Quantum Vibe.  Like I said, I don't know of too many bots in webcomics, but I'm sure there's more.

Maybe even have guest cameos from more famous robots, if copyright isn't a big concern; like Bender from Futurama, Rosie from The Jetsons, Robot from Lost in Space, etc.
im sure David Willis wouldn't object to Ultracar(la). Some of the others in the cast have survived the Soggies.

I've had Ultracar and Malaya on my mind since Bubbles and Faye just got intimate and the questions surrounding that.  As I recall Ultracar really didn't care for Malaya to do anything to her chassis, but didn't mind using her servos to pleasure her and it was a sexual relationship that worked for them.  Perhaps it's the same with Bubbles.  She doesn't need Faye to do anything we'd recognize as sexual conduct to her chassis except enjoy what pleasure Bubbles provides. 

Staff_Inflection

• Plantmonster
« Reply #224 on: 22 May 2018, 23:00 »

On another note, am I crazy or did anyone besides me think that Faye letting Bubbles walk in when she wasn't wearing pants was her way of trying to bring things to a conclusion? Turned out it was the back rub, but I feel like the "You said you were decent!" thing was Faye being a little mischievous.

I read that as just Faye being fairly clueless. She likely read Bubbles' discomfiture as some sort of prudishness, not attraction.

And Faye wasn't actually nekkid or anything -- she's walked around in front of Marten in a t-shirt and underwear.

And let's not forget Faye's history -- she is remarkably good at and stubborn about ignoring and diverting the contents of her own head. Up to a point.

Overall, this relationship is built on very solid foundations. They've both become much healthier and stronger people, thanks to each other and all they've experienced. Heck, they even figured out how to resolve conflict in healthy ways. How many human couples ever get that right?

They'll continue to "figure it out".

I got along great with my college roommates but yes I definitely saw more hairy asscrack than I ever intended

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #225 on: 22 May 2018, 23:06 »

Sometimes it's possible to be non-technical and clear.

Momo walks underwater. If she was an organic we would say she was heavy for her size.

Bubbles is much larger than Momo. If she were organic we would (presumably) say she was heavy for her size. So, she's heavy compared to what you'd expect of an organic the same large size, and you'd expect such an organic to be pretty heavy.

300 pounds would not surprise me, and somewhere around that range you can't automatically assume furniture can deal with you.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #226 on: 22 May 2018, 23:07 »

I've had Ultracar and Malaya on my mind since Bubbles and Faye just got intimate and the questions surrounding that.  As I recall Ultracar really didn't care for Malaya to do anything to her chassis, but didn't mind using her servos to pleasure her and it was a sexual relationship that worked for them.  Perhaps it's the same with Bubbles.  She doesn't need Faye to do anything we'd recognize as sexual conduct to her chassis except enjoy what pleasure Bubbles provides.
While an android would not experience things the same way humans do, the more humanoid models like Bubbles have very acute sensors that can detect even the gentlest touch, such as running one’s fingers along their arm, and the AI mind would be able to interpret that as a pleasurable sensation.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #227 on: 22 May 2018, 23:23 »

Momo walks underwater. If she was an organic we would say she was heavy for her size.

Bubbles is much larger than Momo. If she were organic we would (presumably) say she was heavy for her size. So, she's heavy compared to what you'd expect of an organic the same large size, and you'd expect such an organic to be pretty heavy.

300 pounds would not surprise me, and somewhere around that range you can't automatically assume furniture can deal with you.
To be fair to Momo, I could do nothing in the water except walk on the bottom (and I could do that quite well) until I was 17 years old, when I finally learned to keep myself afloat and swim. So in her case, it could very well be that she simply does not know how to swim. Her weight and density may be completely irrelevant.

Someone a week or two ago speculated that Bubbles was 400 pounds, and questioned the structural integrity of their bed. My wimpy little twin bed is rated for 500 pounds. Faye’s bed is bigger than mine. So I looked up full (double) sized and queen sized beds to see. The first couple beds I found in either size — just simple wood-framed beds — were rated for 800 pounds. So I have no doubts about Faye’s bed being able to handle the two of them on it (because I doubt Bubbles weighs more than 300 pounds). Besides, we’ve seen the two of them lying together on the bed a long time ago.

Edit: I just realized that my diatribe on the strength of Faye’s bed sort of ignores the first line of your post — the line about being non-technical.  ::)
« Last Edit: 22 May 2018, 23:30 by awgiedawgie »

Bad Superman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #228 on: 22 May 2018, 23:23 »

Today's comic seems almost bittersweet, as in:
"Yeah, sooner or later we have to come to the serious part... but not yet..!"

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #229 on: 22 May 2018, 23:29 »

I've got the feeling that basically Faye and Bubbles agreed that the serious, self-aware talk about relationships, boundaries and at what point do we determine if this is just lust or something deeper has to happen. However, they're going to focus on all the new fun activities that they've discovered first.

FWIW, there are plenty of RL examples of couples who are able to operate small businesses together and without problems. However, there will always be the potential for any professional disagreement to become personal. "You don't seem to doubt my workmanship in bed!" or something similarly stupid that you could really expect Faye to come out with if she was angry and/or upset. However, curiously, being in a relationship actually increases the likelihood that they'd end up resolving the matter sensibly because they'd have that much longer to discuss it sensibly and far more to lose if they can't.

With regards to AI intolerance, I suspect that a lot will depend on what Pintsize says at the poker game. Remember: AIs seem to have their own IM network so anything he says that's a sufficiently juicy bit of gossip will radiate outwards into the general AI community at a significant portion of the speed of light with the accuracy of said gossip dropping by 50% with every new iteration.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #230 on: 23 May 2018, 00:39 »

Yeah, but PT410x has problems with just about everyone.

I don't mean to interrupt the thread by continuing with the physics, but I'm an engineering major with little to no relationship experience so this is what I can contribute to the convo at the moment
Don't apologize on my account. I understand broad concepts, such as the principles by which a submarine surfaces and submerges (and the difference between diving under propulsion and simply changing depth using the ballast tanks), but I'm not an engineering (or any other science) major, so simple terms like "density" have serious technical definitions that I've never actually needed to know. It honestly feels a bit silly, since my personal vocabulary is rather large, to not know the correct scientific meaning of such a basic term. Physics was not my strong suit in school.

Just to make sure. A submarine only needs as much ballast as to make its (average) density equal to that of the sea (depends slightly on salinity and such). It most emphatically does not need more ballast to go deeper. This is because the density of sea water does not really depend all that much on the depth. Captain Nemo explained this to professor Aronnax in 20000 leagues. You control a submarine's depth by steering (once you have matched the densities).

Water is very different from air because it is, for the practical purposes, incompressible. Ok, the density does increase a little as you dive deeper, but the change is so minute.... let me refer you to an expert instead.

If you knew all this I apologize for the waste of time and bandwidth.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

fantasticalice

• Plantmonster
« Reply #231 on: 23 May 2018, 01:40 »

Regarding PDAs that could make some people uncomfortable, especially in relationships that some people would disapprove of, it is very much a thing of context.  Some would be mortified or afraid, and some consider them reassuring.  It's one of those "Listen to your partner" issues where it's best to figure out what it means before going one way or the other.  So, definitely, part of the Talk.

One of my exes wanted PDAs, specifically, in front of people in both our lives, as a statement that "our relationship is not a dirty little secret and we are not ashamed to be seen together."  I didn't have a problem with that.  It was a need for reassurance and validation that grew out of lessons learned, for her.  She'd been in a furtive relationship that nobody wanted to acknowledge, and been treated badly, and was flatly refusing to be somebody's "disposable" or "secret" relationship again.   

Anyway, the reaction of people in our lives or the urge to keep things secret was a possible issue with us because her skin was a different color than mine (and that mattered to a few people around there at the time) and it had been an issue with the previous lover who hurt her because that had been a same-sex relationship.

Yeah context is key. If My currently non existent girlfriend said she didn't want to kiss me i public because it made people uncomfortable it would really f@#£ing hurt. PDA has frequently been nixed in romances of mine for "discomfort" and then it's either being ashamed of me or ashamed of being gay or both.

I just can't think of a way Faye and Bubbles giving eachother a romantic peck or even a few butterfly kisses would make someone uncomfortable...... Unless it's because Faye is human, or bcause they are both women, or because they are both Big girls or all of the above.

I still remember years and years ago having someone go off on me because after she had no problem at all with holding my hand she noticed everyone was staring at us and a lot of the looks weren't very nice.

PDA is a whole different ball of wax when it's two women. And I'm sorry if my posts seem mopy today.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #232 on: 23 May 2018, 01:49 »

Re "density":  I guess a lot of people think of density initially as the property of a material rather than of a non-homogeneous object.  Given the existence of tables of the densities of materials, and the inclusion of density in lists of the properties of a material that's not all that surprising.  But the wider definition is also correct and has obvious use in engineering, for instance; it may help to think of it as "average density" in that usage.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #233 on: 23 May 2018, 01:57 »

Fweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh ....
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #234 on: 23 May 2018, 02:01 »

Well, as for density, the practical side is really rather obvious, once you come to look at shipping. Most are made from rather dense materials - though for some "unsinkable" pleasure craft, light materials are used - and yet float.

Of course, the same is true about the other kind of shipping - the denser the individual parts, the less likely the ship is to launch, unless they're combined in the right configuration.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

sniktchtherat

• Plantmonster
« Reply #235 on: 23 May 2018, 03:21 »

To be fair to Momo, I could do nothing in the water except walk on the bottom (and I could do that quite well) until I was 17 years old, when I finally learned to keep myself afloat and swim. So in her case, it could very well be that she simply does not know how to swim. Her weight and density may be completely irrelevant.

Someone a week or two ago speculated that Bubbles was 400 pounds, and questioned the structural integrity of their bed. My wimpy little twin bed is rated for 500 pounds. Faye’s bed is bigger than mine. So I looked up full (double) sized and queen sized beds to see. The first couple beds I found in either size — just simple wood-framed beds — were rated for 800 pounds. So I have no doubts about Faye’s bed being able to handle the two of them on it (because I doubt Bubbles weighs more than 300 pounds). Besides, we’ve seen the two of them lying together on the bed a long time ago.

Edit: I just realized that my diatribe on the strength of Faye’s bed sort of ignores the first line of your post — the line about being non-technical.  ::)

A couple of points on relative AI mass:  Momo is light enough that an average person can lift her.  She's also short and slender, same as Winslow - I know a person who is less than 5 feet tall, and they have trouble keeping themselves above 90 pounds.  Bubbles is well north of 6 feet, possibly approaching 7, and BUILT.  Andre Roussimoff only hit 7'4", and he exceeded 500 lbs easily. Also, http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3150 - Bubbles has serious mass, and not all of that is the armor.  Either that, or Emily is as diffuse physically as she is mentally and thus gets blown along the streets like an untethered kite.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #236 on: 23 May 2018, 03:25 »

No, it's definitely not "just lust." That's crazy. Bubbles and Faye have a very close bond that goes way beyond sexual stuff.

That's why this relationship feels so different. Faye never had such a close friendship with Sven or Angus prior to sleeping with either of them.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #237 on: 23 May 2018, 03:50 »

And you know what? Those guys can go to Ernie’s Garage on King Street for all their health care needs.

Or they can swallow their bigotry and go to skilled robot repair specialists who will give them top-quality care. Their call.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #238 on: 23 May 2018, 04:22 »

Right riiiiight, she totally lied! Oh no, this isn't setting a good precedent! Fay-yye!! How could you?

Maaaaaaybe you're overreacting?

Pretty sure all I did was point out that she has insecurities she hasn't addressed yet that she and bubbles will have to work on. Congratulations, she shares that in common with everybody starting a new relationship since the invention of dating.

I think it was more "Faye realizes there is something there, she needs time to sort it out in her head but will then sit down with Bubs to talk it out" than "Faye is lying because she didn't immediately try to jump to The Talk when she got back".

Essentially. The worst possible thing one could say about it is that she omitted mentioning a momentary bit of doubt.

I would even say that not seeing Bubbles at the workshop was the electroshock she needed to make up her mind about what she really wanted, and now that she decided, what she previously thought is mostly irrelevant. Personaly, I don't think people have to confess all their passed irrelevant thoughts (because it was only a thought: Faye said internally she wanted to wait before taking any decison in regard of Bubbles, but it never came to it). I even don't think it would be very healthy.
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

heyjames4

« Reply #239 on: 23 May 2018, 04:24 »

Yo feelings are complicated y'all

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #240 on: 23 May 2018, 04:43 »

Thats why I try to stamp them down and lock them in a little bottle inside a little cabinet, I don't need any more complications, I like things simple.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #241 on: 23 May 2018, 04:49 »

When I say make people uncomfortable, I meant full on making out, groping, and so on, not a peck.

It's gonna be tough because they're in the exciting, butterflies stage of their relationship, but they'll have to figure out how to keep their hands off each other.

Granted, some would just giggle if they saw them like that--Tai, Dora and Claire being good examples. But others would be like "ummmm..."  Not about them being two women, or a human and an AI, but simply the awkwardness of two people all over each other.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #242 on: 23 May 2018, 05:24 »

A sweet memory I wanted to share.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #243 on: 23 May 2018, 05:52 »

And you know what? Those guys can go to Ernie’s Garage on King Street for all their health care needs.

Or they can swallow their bigotry and go to skilled robot repair specialists who will give them top-quality care. Their call.

I can't see PT410X being overly mean, just curmudgeonly. I don't recall him ever being super mean to anyone, just generally grumpy. He doesn't approve of their relationship, but I can't see him, like, doing something horrible to them, like a hate crime.

It would be nice to see a storyline involving him. It would be nice to see him become a happier person.

Pennepasta

• Plantmonster
« Reply #244 on: 23 May 2018, 07:09 »

I can't see PT410X being overly mean, just curmudgeonly. I don't recall him ever being super mean to anyone, just generally grumpy. He doesn't approve of their relationship, but I can't see him, like, doing something horrible to them, like a hate crime.

It would be nice to see a storyline involving him. It would be nice to see him become a happier person.

Wasn't he the robot that was going on about robots being enslaved, and that the free will of robots was just an illusion that was coded in by the oppressors? Doesn't sound curmudgeonly to me. Sounds conspiracy theory nutjob to me.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #245 on: 23 May 2018, 07:42 »

A generally harmless tinfoil hat guy.

I don’t seriously see him turning violent.

SpanielBear

« Reply #246 on: 23 May 2018, 07:55 »

It's 2032. The new president has just been sworn in...

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #247 on: 23 May 2018, 08:00 »

The U.S. government spends all its money and time on converting everything to Linux and gets nothing else done.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

SpanielBear

« Reply #248 on: 23 May 2018, 08:07 »

The U.S. government spends all its money and time on converting everything to Linux and gets nothing else done.

They still insist this will be far more efficient once they finish rewriting the code. The Library of Congress goes offline, but at least everyone can play Wesnoth.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #249 on: 23 May 2018, 08:09 »

The world's open source fanatics see that this conversion has no beneficial effect, and become suicidally depressed at the realisation that they've been wasting their lives.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up