THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 04:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Damn You, Willis! (Dumbing of Age) PART 2  (Read 132614 times)

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
Re: Damn You, Willis! (Dumbing of Age) PART 2
« Reply #100 on: 20 Nov 2018, 00:55 »

Oop, it's looking like I might lose money now.

IIiii dunnno.
Don't think this is over yet...

(hope)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #101 on: 20 Nov 2018, 01:21 »

We've reached the point where Danny and Ethan need to pin Sal and Amber and for them and Dorothy to pound some sense and perspective into both combatants' heads with a suitably heavy and blunt instrument.

Sal - Yes, Amber stalked you and got you into the vigilante life. However, she didn't force you to do anything. You are the one who prioritised your anger and sense of violent grievance against the world's injustices over Marcie's needs. You decided that beating on bad guys was worth even her losing her job.

Amber - Yes, your life has been shit but Sal is not your enemy; Blaine's abuse and the damage it did to your mind and your emotional control are your enemies.

Both women have to understand that the other is not their enemy and never has been. If they can't tolerate each other enough to help themselves and the other heal, then they need to agree to keep away from each other in future.

You'll notice that I didn't address the issue of what happened that night at the convenience store. That's because, in a very real way, I don't think that either girl was entirely themselves. They were both in the process of finally coming loose from the end of a long tether and, whilst their choices were their own, I'm not entirely sure that either were capable or competent to make reasonable or proportionate choices at the moment.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #102 on: 20 Nov 2018, 09:36 »

Oop, it's looking like I might lose money now.

IIiii dunnno.
Don't think this is over yet...
Yeah, today it's looking like my money is well safe. Amber's got Sal on the figurative ropes.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #103 on: 21 Nov 2018, 01:25 »

Yeah, I think that  this is the point to intervene, Ethan. Mostly because, at this rate, one of them is going to kill the other!
~~~~

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #104 on: 21 Nov 2018, 07:33 »

...and another reversal! Sal is ascendant!
stePH
--

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #105 on: 21 Nov 2018, 21:10 »

Cause, effect. Cause, effect...

Sal is coming to a head.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #106 on: 21 Nov 2018, 23:17 »

I long suspected that there is a small and generally-repressed part of Amber that is suicidal. We saw it in her reckless (for her own safety) rescue of Becky. Now, with the very real possibility that someone will finally end all of her problems for good without her even having to do anything personally...? Well, she's almost happy with this outcome.

As for Sal, she's realising just how badly her every escalation has ever gone and she has to deal with the fact that, this time, she's about to murder a mentally-ill woman with only debatable control over her actions.
~~~~

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #107 on: 23 Nov 2018, 01:08 »

Why are people fixating on the fact that Sal had Amber in a (so-called) *choke hold*?
(And then exploding that into "attempted murder" etc...)

I can only think a lot of folk have never been in a stand up fight before!
Covenant

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #108 on: 23 Nov 2018, 02:55 »

Why are people fixating on the fact that Sal had Amber in a (so-called) *choke hold*?

Because it is fairly easy to go from a choke hold to 'choke to death', especially if the person doing it is angry and not monitoring the other's state. Additionally (and most importantly), I think that Amber wanted it to be 'to death'.
~~~~

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #109 on: 23 Nov 2018, 13:16 »

An improperly applied chokehold can easily turn fatal unintentionally. There was a case not so long ago in the States where a police officer put a detainee in a chokehold and the man died shortly thereafter as a result. It's really easy, especially when angry, to do serious damage that way.

That being said, I agree that a lot of readers are blowing it out of proportion and I don't think Sal was ever at serious risk of killing Amber, even if that's what Amber wanted.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Vurogj

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #110 on: 28 Nov 2018, 00:57 »

I guess I picked a REALLY good week to finally take Jeph's twitter hints and actually read DoA.

It's pretty freakin' good, right?

I'll just hang out for a bit and read the room before I contribute anything to the discussion tho.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #111 on: 28 Nov 2018, 06:06 »

I can't explain it, but Sal's head scarf thing looks adorable on her. I wonder how many strips before Ruth shows up to mediate all this. Well at least there's fuckface right?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #112 on: 30 Nov 2018, 21:24 »

Anyone else noticing Dina's "Coffee of Doom" shirt?

Also I like that Sal is approaching this calm and cool. Amber is too wound up but I hope it passes with the talking of pachycephalosaurus.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #113 on: 01 Dec 2018, 03:34 »

Maybe she got it off Emily a while ago.

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #114 on: 01 Dec 2018, 13:05 »

My money's on Amber.
stePH
--

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #115 on: 01 Dec 2018, 21:46 »

Amber is too wound up but I hope it passes with the talking of pachycephalosaurus.
Not to toot my own horn or anything but...

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #116 on: 01 Dec 2018, 22:02 »

Dina is the best.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #117 on: 03 Dec 2018, 18:10 »

So I realized this weekend that I was two months behind. And then soon I wasn't. I should come to the forum more, it was how I always remembered to read the new DoA, I rarely got more than a few days behind.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #118 on: 04 Dec 2018, 21:11 »

Huzza! The pact has been sealed and the team has been formed.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #119 on: 04 Dec 2018, 22:38 »

This went a lot better than expected. Good job, those two.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #120 on: 05 Dec 2018, 01:28 »

It seemed pretty obvious that they would follow the "We have battled - we are now friends!" route, but the additional Roller Derby denoument was class. (And Carla!)  :)

Marcie's smile made it all worth it, even if I *did* have problem with her "prove your worthy to be my friend" stance. :)

Covenant

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #121 on: 05 Dec 2018, 07:47 »

My money's on Amber.
stePH
--

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #122 on: 05 Dec 2018, 07:56 »

My money's on Amber.

You sure?
You lost the last one!  :)
Covenant

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #123 on: 05 Dec 2018, 12:42 »

My money's on Amber.

You sure?
You lost the last one!  :)
Double or nothing!
stePH
--

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #124 on: 10 Dec 2018, 07:28 »

...in true Zen fashion, Mike is Mike.
stePH
--

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #125 on: 26 Dec 2018, 06:04 »

It's still a nerd thing, Billie, it's just that "nerd" has been a meaningless word for years. Also wow, angery Joyce.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #126 on: 26 Dec 2018, 06:24 »

"...what the shit, Walky?!"-Joyce 2018

BenRG

• coprophage
Re: Damn you, Willis! (Dumbing of Age)
« Reply #127 on: 08 Feb 2019, 05:28 »

Oh... OWWW! :cry: Today's strip (2/8/19) was brutal but so was the whole micro-arc of about three or four strips leading up to it. In the final few panels, Billie's desperate unspoken plea for Ruth to change her mind about drinking turning into resignation and then anger and then her just walking away with a curt accusation of ruining her plans for day followed by Ruth clearly just standing there for a few seconds before even beginning to think of a reply just cuts to the heart.

I count myself blessed that I've never had to handle a friend or loved one with a serious addiction like Billie's. I don't know if I'm wise enough or level-headed enough not to lose it with them too often and I know that's the worst thing that you can do.

It's rare that a strip cartoon can pile so much emotion into an edition but this was one of those times.
~~~~

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
Re: Re: Damn you, Willis! (Dumbing of Age)
« Reply #128 on: 08 Feb 2019, 05:47 »

Billie is sure ruthless  :claireface:
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #129 on: 08 Feb 2019, 06:41 »

I count myself blessed that I've never had to handle a friend or loved one with a serious addiction like Billie's. I don't know if I'm wise enough or level-headed enough not to lose it with them too often and I know that's the worst thing that you can do.

Been there. It wasn't easy.  If the other person doesn't recognize that they have a problem nothing will change.  They will also get defensive and/or aggressive if you address it too.

Honestly I think this is the best thing for Ruth. She is trying hard not to go to the bottle, and Billie was not making that easy. She needs a non drinking or at least understanding support network ... especially with her home situation.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #130 on: 11 Feb 2019, 00:31 »

Hmmm...
Now what's going on here Amber/Sal/Danny?

I've made no secret that I always felt Danny/Sally relationship from an earlier version of the Walkyverse was cruelly torn apart, when neither of them really wanted it to be. I just believe they could be good together.

BUT, I'm wondering of Amber's casual "He needs someone good and pure", is about to lead into machinations to throw him and Joyce together...?

I'm not sure what I think of that.
Covenant

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #131 on: 11 Feb 2019, 01:08 »

BUT, I'm wondering of Amber's casual "He needs someone good and pure", is about to lead into machinations to throw him and Joyce together...?

I'm not sure what I think of that.

Some on Willis's own site have said the same thing.

It's interesting because, in the very first of Willis's strips in the Walkyverse, Roomies, Joyce was crushing on and stalking Danny. This didn't go anywhere because she was abducted, mindwiped and forcibly inducted into SEMME where she met Walky and imprinted on him. One of the stated objectives of Dumbing of Age from the start was Willis's desire to see what would happen to the characters if the war against the Aliens had never happened. Given th at DoA!Joyce is a very different person from the one she was portrayed as in Roomies, as is Danny, Willis may be intending to spend at least some time addressing whether time and maturity may have seen them work out together.
~~~~

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #132 on: 19 Feb 2019, 08:17 »

From today's strip (2/19), I desperately want Willis to illustrate a couple of scenes from Commander Julia Grey - Space Ace!. I'm sort of seeing Joyce in a sci-fi jumpsuit with Sal-style long hair, a 1950s-style ray gun and Jacob (in a similar sci-fi jumpsuit) clinging to her for safety.
~~~~

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #133 on: 01 Mar 2019, 08:33 »

I am glad Billie and Ruth are on the out. I feel like they both need different things than each other.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #134 on: 01 Mar 2019, 08:39 »

Yeah, they're both going to hurt for a long while but the fact is that they more-or-less only worked together when they were self-destructive co-dependents. That's not to say that they can't work together as they're trying to escape from their demons but Billie has got to admit that they are demons first and I don't think that she's ready for that yet.

Maybe the shock of Ruth not willing to compromise will make her think about her own issues more seriously. We'll have to wait and see.
~~~~

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #135 on: 02 Mar 2019, 07:24 »

Today's strip (2 March) ...

What the fuck?!  :?

Who or what is a "Rich Mullins"?
stePH
--

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #136 on: 02 Mar 2019, 08:16 »

I had the same question. From the comments section I gathered that he is a some sort of musician popular among evangelical christians.
@syleegrrl

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #137 on: 02 Mar 2019, 12:30 »

I had the same question. From the comments section I gathered that he is a some sort of musician popular among evangelical christians.
And he apparently shows up in college classrooms, I guess?
stePH
--

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #138 on: 02 Mar 2019, 12:37 »

It's another Joyce dream sequence. There is no way Dotty would say that line in waking life.
@syleegrrl

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #139 on: 02 Mar 2019, 15:18 »

Joyce is dreaming this. (Additionally, it would be very improbable for Rich Mullins to show up in a college classroom, considering he's dead.)
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #140 on: 02 Mar 2019, 21:04 »

Didn't know who Rich Mullins was, but apparently he died before any of these characters were born (well, at least these characters as of a year or two ago).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #141 on: 02 Mar 2019, 22:03 »

Joyce is wigging out hard core. This dream may shake her up a bit for the next few in-comic days.  :-(

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #142 on: 04 Mar 2019, 21:15 »

This seems big.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #143 on: 05 Mar 2019, 01:31 »

So are we watching Joyce (read "Willis")'s extraction from God Bothering?

Part of me thinks it's a bit sudden, but.. you know... dramatic timing and all that.
Covenant

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #144 on: 05 Mar 2019, 06:18 »

I am guessing (hoping) he is going to tell Joyce that the person she can trust and look to for guidance is herself. Or he leaves a cryptic message about it that sticks with her. Like Ghostface in the Boondocks, or the stereotypical Buddhist monk that imparts wisdom in the astral plane type deal.

Also, is anyone else noticing that Joyce's clothes change every few panels during this entire dream sequence?

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #145 on: 05 Mar 2019, 07:41 »

I am guessing (hoping) he is going to tell Joyce that the person she can trust and look to for guidance is herself. Or he leaves a cryptic message about it that sticks with her. Like Ghostface in the Boondocks....
LOL "Why are you here? Ghostface Killah isn't dead!" I loved that show.
stePH
--

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #146 on: 06 Mar 2019, 06:33 »

Today's strip. Wow. Poor Joyce. Her world was shaken a bit before, but now its shook. I am invested in what is going to happen next for her.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #147 on: 08 Mar 2019, 00:49 »

Today's strip. Wow. Poor Joyce. Her world was shaken a bit before, but now its shook. I am invested in what is going to happen next for her.

And, of course, just as it gets interesting...

THE EXPLOITS OF BECKY!   :)

(I 'am' wondering if Joyce is going to run to her first about her own "crisis of faith".)
Covenant

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #148 on: 08 Mar 2019, 06:59 »

...did she ever get to have that Lesbian Brunch? With Lesbian Toast?
stePH
--

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #149 on: 11 Mar 2019, 21:50 »

Has Joyce always had platform shower shoes...that she wears with socks for some reason?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up