Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 25 May 2020, 11:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Damn You, Willis! (Dumbing of Age) PART 2  (Read 31776 times)

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
Re: Damn You, Willis! (Dumbing of Age) PART 2
« Reply #400 on: 22 May 2020, 04:52 »

Today's strip...   :facepalm:

OKay... You know what... for the sake of everyone's sanity/nerves, I'll probably stop commenting on this particular story.

I'm getting annoyed at Willis for taking obvious short-cuts to move forward the drama of these scenes, while wasting time with strips entirely given over to (IMO) pointless introspection at a time of high drama. Let alone the sudden impossibilities of physical spaces, the frankly unbelievable reactions of the characters in their current dilemma, the overuse of exposition to "explain" what almost amounts to 'off screen' events in an attempt to explain them, and the hugely swithering bravery/cowardice/action/inaction of the characters. (And thats without even going into examples!)

I just can't suspend my disbelief to these extremes.

All of this is reading like a "first draft" to me and I'm finding it very frustrating because I KNOW he's a better writer than this.

So, yeah, to save you having to scroll past lengthy diatribe upon lengthy diatribe... I'll just skip this particular topic for the moment.

:)

Cheers.

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

dutchrvl

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
« Reply #401 on: 22 May 2020, 07:57 »

FWIW, I agree with you on most of what you have written about the current storyline. I am disappointed by many oddities in character reactions (many almost impossible to find believable), physical space impossibilities, weird and nonbelievable story developments, etc.
Frankly rather disappointed with this story line so far, which is too bad since most of his storytelling is so good.

LeeC

• coprophage
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #402 on: Yesterday at 13:12 »

ruh roh
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LeeC

• coprophage
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #403 on: Yesterday at 22:30 »

Any guess on who is coming? I'm guessing Sal, or the cops.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up