THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 02:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Damn You, Willis! (Dumbing of Age) PART 2  (Read 132583 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Re: Damn You, Willis! (Dumbing of Age) PART 2
« Reply #600 on: 09 Jan 2021, 18:55 »

Imma be honest, Joyce is being a big baby and it seriously starting to annoy the crap out of me.

Whats gets me is its for her nearsightedness. So she only needs to wear it for when she's in the back of the class, perhaps driving and maybe when she's at the movie theater. She can have them off in between. As a near sighted person, I don't wear my glasses all the time, just when I need to.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #601 on: 09 Jan 2021, 22:48 »

Depends on your degree of nearsightedness. I can't do without my glasses.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #602 on: 09 Jan 2021, 23:18 »

I don't wear glasses, so maybe I a way off here, but we've seen Joyce wear sunglasses without complaint, so how is this any different? Aside from the obvious that she is actively looking for reasons to complain.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #603 on: 10 Jan 2021, 02:11 »

Off the top of my head, with no particular backing - sunglasses are because of something external, correctional lenses are because of something internal.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #604 on: 10 Jan 2021, 03:16 »

I don't wear glasses, so maybe I a way off here, but we've seen Joyce wear sunglasses without complaint, so how is this any different? Aside from the obvious that she is actively looking for reasons to complain.

The difference in my experience is that people who haven't had to wear glasses from a young age, will quite happily adopt all kinds of eye gear as a fashion choice, but will bitch about having to wear glasses when they actually need them. As long as it's a fashion choice, they can leave them off whenever; it's a choice. If you need them, it's not a choice anymore.

The same kind of people that will tell me that it's no big deal the opticians were closed for months as non essential business, because it's, like, just a fashion accessory, right?

Then again, for a lot of people, it's something they associate with aging, and so, in the age of the forever young ideal, will go any lengths to avoid acknowledging time passing. For someone I know, it was part of the midlife crisis, to leave off his glasses, to look younger. Probably helped him crash the car he bought to match the image. Just minor injuries, luckily.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #605 on: 10 Jan 2021, 08:06 »

Depends on your degree of nearsightedness. I can't do without my glasses.

That's true. I guess I was basing it on my own experience which really seemed to match up with Joyce being unable to see from the back of the large classrooms, but fine in smaller ones. We don't know her prescription or how bad her eyesight was. Perhaps we'll find out when she gets the glasses and notices how different everything looks. When I got my first pair of glasses at 17 years old, I noticed that everything looked different. I could see individual leaves on trees! It was like going from soft definition to HD. But then again, Joyce, as well as others, may have a different experience.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #606 on: 11 Jan 2021, 10:30 »

Divorce!  :-o

Yes!  :-D

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #607 on: 14 Jan 2021, 04:42 »

I find it very unlikely that Joyce would ever be able to bring herself to put something on her eyeball.
Its honestly why I don't use contacts.
Same.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #608 on: 17 Jan 2021, 06:37 »

Was Billie's tag always "jennifer" or did Willis change it?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #609 on: 17 Jan 2021, 07:11 »

They changed it. Very meta.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #610 on: 18 Jan 2021, 08:07 »

Dina is amazing and I lover her. She can disembowel me anytime.
@syleegrrl

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #611 on: 20 Jan 2021, 05:57 »

Booster is playing Pokémon Snap.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #612 on: 06 Feb 2021, 05:04 »

Does Dina have a second hat entirely for dramatic gestures?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #613 on: 12 Feb 2021, 05:00 »

Quote from: Joe
The bible is just like Superman. Us Jews created something cool and then a buncha Protestant nerds ruined it by trying to make it make sense to them.
There we go, that's the best line David Willis will ever write.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #614 on: 19 Feb 2021, 09:50 »

I oddly am missing Ethan in DoA, even though I didn't even care for him that much

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #615 on: 20 Feb 2021, 07:22 »

Hopefully he shows up

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #616 on: 27 Feb 2021, 10:36 »

So I'm not sure, does Becky know why they broke up? Does anyone besides those two? Will we ever?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #617 on: 27 Feb 2021, 11:01 »

Unless it was public, I doubt anyone knows. Jennifer cut everyone out of her life and Ruth was never friends with anyone. Asher might know if Jennifer bothered to tell him.  I am pretty sure we'll hear about it eventually.
@syleegrrl

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #618 on: 28 Feb 2021, 09:05 »

Re: sit - Gotcha, makes sense. Seems cruel even for Willis to have that happen during a time jump, but that's Willis for us I guess. Damn him.

Re: today's comic - Dina's ace, or at least on the ace spectrum, right? If so, hopefully Becky doesn't think that Dina loves her any less than she loves Dina just because her attraction works differently.

Also even if Ruth did something to cause a breakup, I still say Jenny B's being shitty towards her friends.
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2021, 09:12 by Method of Madness »

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #619 on: 28 Feb 2021, 12:22 »

Dina is cannon ace, by Word of Willis, although it has never been explicitly stated in the comic.

And yea, I am hoping Becky can learn that Dina being ace doesn't mean she doesn't love Becky nor that she is interested in having sex with her. Dina has flat out and repeatedly said that she is. Currently Becky seems to be conflating Joyce not being interested in her romantically because she is straight with Dina not experiencing sexual attraction in the same way she does. These are very different scenarios and I hope she can internalise that eventually.
@syleegrrl

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #621 on: 11 Mar 2021, 11:38 »

Joyce is me as a GM, Walky is me as a player.
@syleegrrl

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #622 on: 11 Mar 2021, 14:04 »

In my experience, being a GM is spending days working out plot lines, settings, NPCs, etc.  And by the time the actual game session has lasted an hour, the players have already taken it all off the rails.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #623 on: 11 Mar 2021, 16:44 »

Our druid, who is definitely somebody else and not me, basically took up an entire session trying to figure out a springbok's stats. Our DM loves showing us around the world, which we didn't get to do because of that, so I our druid felt a little bad for it.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #624 on: 12 Mar 2021, 02:41 »

THE FOLLOWING SCENE is from a YouTube video I watched once about the impossibility of predicting your adventuring party's decisions in a stressful situation.

GM: "So, this little girl is magically and physically bound to the pedestals on which the artefacts are mounted." *Dice clatters* "Mage, your manna sense indicates that there is no way to remove the artefacts without killing her."

PALADIN: "We can't kill a child for those trinkets!"

GM: "You'll have to if you want the powers they'll give you to use against the Evil One!" (Evil grin)

BARBARIAN: "So, basically, the girl is magically bound to the pedestals and there is no way to remove the artefacts without killing her?"

MAGE: (Reads private message note from GM): "Yup. Looks like the security spells are linked to her life-force or something. Maybe some kind of ritual sacrifice connection?" (GM nods)

ROGUE: "So, what happens if we destroy the artefacts?"

LONG PAUSE

RANGER: "What do you mean?"

ROGUE: "Look, if we want to save the kid, we need to hit the thing threatening to kill her and it strikes me that it's the booby-traps on the shiny trinkets!"

MAGE: "A karmic sacrifice? Instead of sacrificing the girl for the artefacts, we sacrifice the artefacts for the girl?"

PALADIN: "I like this train of thought! I mean, I doubt those artefacts will turn out to be really useful anyway! Anything that requires the death of an innocent is almost certainly going to turn out to be foul magic anyway!"

The PARTY all make approving noises

GM: "Are you sure about this guys? I mean, those things are seriously powerful! You'd all get huge stat buffs and access to additional abilities!"

RANGER: "The cost of which would be the blood of an innocent! Nah, Paladin is right, it's some kind of trap and we're not falling for it!"

BARBARIAN: "So, what are we waiting for? I ready my +5 warhammer! I love the sound of sacred stuff going 'smash'!"

GM: "Ooo... kay... Bit of overkill, those things only have 1HP each...!" (THINKS: I spent two damn weeks designing those things and their special abilities! And for what? This lot of idiots to show off their morality!)
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #625 on: 21 Mar 2021, 01:46 »

So the meta-referential recursion loop has begun. Today's Dumbing of Age (3/21/21) is basically a panel-for-panel redo of an early Roomies strip, right down to the art style. The only difference was 'Joyce' replacing Dan with (future Starfighter Corps Captain) Julia Grey and Joe with (future Earth Alliance President) Doris Kenner.
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2021, 01:53 by BenRG »
~~~~

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #626 on: 27 Mar 2021, 05:07 »

Sarah's probably 10% mad at Joe and 90% mad at herself for setting him up so well.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #627 on: 08 Apr 2021, 05:13 »

Am I missing something or is this supposed to be confusing?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #628 on: 08 Apr 2021, 05:30 »

My guess is that, now Jennifer has seen Walky (she was shown staring at his hair in the last panel of the 4/8/21 strip), we're going to get more information from her.
~~~~

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #629 on: 20 Apr 2021, 04:31 »

"She's out of line, but she's right!"

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #630 on: 01 May 2021, 08:27 »

The straights are most certainly not okay. I should know, I thought I was one of them for like three decades.

Also why does nobody post in this thread anymore?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #631 on: 01 May 2021, 10:42 »

The straights are never okay, but Joyce's straightness is dubious at best.
@syleegrrl

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #632 on: 07 Nov 2021, 14:30 »

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #633 on: 07 Nov 2021, 14:58 »

He looks like he lost weight
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #634 on: 07 Dec 2021, 07:40 »

Ethan being "stabbed in the back" by Danny seems a bit over dramatic.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #635 on: 07 Dec 2021, 12:00 »

Maybe, but Danny did hurt him.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #636 on: 07 Dec 2021, 12:09 »

To be fair, these are supposed to be 18- and 19-year old kids. I had no sense of proportion when I was 18, either.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #637 on: 07 Dec 2021, 16:13 »

Maybe, but Danny did hurt him.
I'm completely blanking, what did Danny do?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #638 on: 07 Dec 2021, 16:54 »

Danny went to visit Ethan in the hospital while Mike was in the coma, and then proceeded to stick his foot so far in his mouth that his toes were poking out of his *ss:

1. https://www.dumbingofage.com/2020/comic/book-10/04-is-a-song-forever/alonetime/
2. https://www.dumbingofage.com/2020/comic/book-10/04-is-a-song-forever/alderaan/
3. https://www.dumbingofage.com/2020/comic/book-10/04-is-a-song-forever/hospitalized/

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #639 on: 08 Dec 2021, 04:33 »

Oh right, I always forget about that. Ethan was kinda shitty then, too.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

dutchrvl

« Reply #640 on: 08 Dec 2021, 07:18 »

Danny went to visit Ethan in the hospital while Mike was in the coma, and then proceeded to stick his foot so far in his mouth that his toes were poking out of his *ss:

1. https://www.dumbingofage.com/2020/comic/book-10/04-is-a-song-forever/alonetime/
2. https://www.dumbingofage.com/2020/comic/book-10/04-is-a-song-forever/alderaan/
3. https://www.dumbingofage.com/2020/comic/book-10/04-is-a-song-forever/hospitalized/

I was thinking of those comics too, but Ethan talks about Danny stabbing him in the back. Since that is not what happened in those comics (I mean it was just in-your-face lack of consideration for Ethan's feelings, but nothing back-stabbiness), so  am wondering what Ethan is referring too. I am sure somebody here will know...

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #641 on: 08 Dec 2021, 11:54 »

It might be that I'm thinking of the wrong occurrence, but IIRC that was the last interaction that Danny and Ethan had?

'Back stabbing' can mean different things to different people, and to me it translates to 'you hurt me badly and unexpectedly' which would fit the hospital incident.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #642 on: 08 Dec 2021, 12:16 »

It could be he's referring to Danny getting him to trust him and like him and think he's a really nice guy only to turn around and hurt him later. Or he was simply playing off Amber's mention of the knife with a little word play, sacrificing accuracy and precision for poetics
@syleegrrl

dutchrvl

« Reply #643 on: 08 Dec 2021, 13:10 »

I suppose there is some flexibility with interpretation of "back-stabbing", so ok maybe it is that last interaction.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #644 on: 12 Jan 2022, 19:05 »

Joyce hasn't experienced any music outside of christian music. You're Dorthy. What song do you play for her?

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

dutchrvl

« Reply #646 on: 13 Jan 2022, 10:59 »

Dvorak's new world symphony of course: her mind will be blown around 1:57

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qut5e3OfCvg

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #647 on: 31 Mar 2022, 20:49 »

I always forget that Jennifer's old nickname and Walky's current one are based on their last names. Also, great, Billie's back. That great is not sincere.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #648 on: 06 Apr 2022, 07:27 »

I grew up in a household where my parents would spank us for being disobedient. I remember growing up and thinking it was normal. That it was the best way to teach kids to behave and not grow up being a bad person. That if x person who got in trouble with the law was hit as a child, they never would have become a criminal. I am a father of two girls (a 4 and a nearly 3 year old) and I can attest that it was all bullshit. A lie my parents (and probably others) were themselves indoctrinated by their parents as "ok," when really it was a loss of patience on the parent's part. I have found myself very close to loosing my patience with my girls a number of times, but I never hit them, even if I lost my patience. I take a step back (mentally) and reflect where loosing my patience will get us. I realize now that those spankings were because A) My parent lost their patience and so hit the kid to make me stop or act right, or B) They didn't want to take the time to teach me WHY we behave or why what I did was bad or potentially dangerous. Hitting was the shortcut. The only punishment I do with my kids is usually take them to their bed and tell them they can come out when they've calmed down. I'm usually in the hallway just outside their room until they're ready which can be anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour (depending on how upset/bratty they were being can effect how long it takes themselves to calm down). Most times the misbehaving is due to them being over stimulated and being removed from that stimuli (or an audience that is fueling the misbehavior) and allowed to calm down allows you to explain what the kid did wrong and why we don't do it. Every time I have done this, my kid has learned why and have corrected their behavior. No "beating" required, no feeling like I am mad at them or that I don't love them. They also reflect on what they did and would often apologize for it without prompting. Kids are smarter than given credit for, especially on an emotional level. You just have to take the time to explain it to them. My parents didn't. It was for "my own good." In reality, it was trauma, normalized trauma.

Edit: For context, my father was not a very patient person in general. For anything. My mother tended to prefer shortcuts for anything.
« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2022, 07:35 by LeeC »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #649 on: 16 Apr 2022, 07:18 »

Well, fuck. So that's why she was called Billie. Damn you, Willis :/

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up