Callid calcium Calvinist
- 1 (2.8%)
A Monty Python movie
- 9 (25%)
42!
- 9 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3781 - 3785 (9-13 July 2018)  (Read 32900 times)

Spider

• Not quite a lurker
Re: WCDT strips 3781 - 3785 (9-13 July 2018)
« Reply #100 on: 12 Jul 2018, 10:46 »

*crawls out from cave to share my thoughts*

Oh boy this strip was relatable. So. I'm autistic and I grew up pretty poor. I also have the culinary palette of a 10 year old. I'm very sensitive to certain flavors and theres only a handful of foods i enjoy that won't make me gag. I'm the worst picky eater.

These too facts combined, well, there's a lot of foods I've never eaten that have gotten me many reactions of "What!? You've never had that before!? How!?!?" and it gets extremely embarrassing.

Fruits and vegetables especially I have not much knowledge of. Because when you're poor it's smarter to buy nonperishables than food than food that can go bad in a few days. Coupled with the high likelihood that I wouldn't like whatever it is anyway, making it a waste of money, most common fruits and vegetables were simply never bought.

I've never eaten watermelon, cherries, asparagus, or mushrooms. It was only last year I tried pineapple for the first time and only a few months ago I had my first broccoli. And yes, I've never actually tried raisins before because it just looked like something I wouldn't like and I never felt like wasting the money to find out.

There's not really the point to all that I'm saying but I guess what I mean is I really connected with Brun here. Good job Jeph.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #101 on: 12 Jul 2018, 10:59 »

Thank you for climbing out of your cave! Your thoughts are really great.

(And not just because they agree with mine ;))

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #102 on: 12 Jul 2018, 12:01 »

Well we know a little more about Brun, but I’m still curious about whether she was born in the US or immigrated.  Since her full name is Brunhilde I suppose she lived for some time in Germany, but her parents originated from Turkey or possibly another Middle Eastern country.
For what it’s worth, I’ve always seen Brun as being of mixed European and African ancestry - her skin tone and hair match that. If I had to construct a headcanon for her, it would be that her African-American father was in the US Air Force and married a local girl while stationed in Germany. It’s a common enough story.

Sounds plausible and would explain why she has a German name while ethnically different.  I’m not sure if she has an accent so she may have come over with her parents when she was still very young.  It would also explain her impoverished upbringing.  Germany has a generous welfare state, but in America it varies from state to state.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #103 on: 12 Jul 2018, 12:40 »

As someone who lost both of my parents at age 19, I sympathize with Brun in that regard.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #104 on: 12 Jul 2018, 13:27 »

So I told a friend about the raisin discussion here.

She grew up in a part of the US far from raisin producing areas and with poor transportation links. There and then, raisins were really expensive. I think she did have them but a lot of people there were poorer than her.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #105 on: 12 Jul 2018, 16:07 »

She grew up in a part of the US far from raisin producing areas and with poor transportation links. There and then, raisins were really expensive. I think she did have them but a lot of people there were poorer than her.
That's got to be Alaska.  EVERYTHING's expensive up there.

Having rabbits as a kid put me off raisins.

Inconsequential

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #106 on: 12 Jul 2018, 16:58 »

Personally, I detest raisins. Just don't like 'em. Never did, never will.

I like grapes. I like other types of dried fruit. But dried grapes, bleagh. I don't know why, exactly.

I hate raisins to the point that I'll go to no small amount of trouble to pick them out of things like trail mix where the evil little wrinkly bastards have no business lurking. I mostly just skip foods contaminated by raisins.

Anyhoo, that's all beside the point...

OK, let's say you're 6 year old Brun's Mom in a grocery store. You see a sale on raisins.

"Brun, do you like raisins?"

"I don't know. They look gross."

"OK, then. We don't want to waste food, so I'm not buying them."

And thus raisins do not enter the house, and Brun ends up somewhere in her mid-20s without encountering them again.

Even in a household that isn't poor, it's quite plausible that raisins wouldn't re-appear once rejected by a kid who was probably always pretty picky about what she eats anyway.

Also, although time is hazy in the QC universe (as well as its other relations to our universe), the California Raisins craze was huge in the late '80s and was pretty much over by the time Brun was born.

In any case, it's nice to learn a little more about Brun and Clinton.

« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2018, 17:04 by Inconsequential »

Inconsequential

« Reply #107 on: 12 Jul 2018, 17:11 »

It means only that Brun told someone how to made it look like an accident, not that she actually did the Queequeg on anyone.  It's still aiding and abetting if said harpoon hurling was unlawful, but verbal instruction only would be much harder to trace back to her.

"...did the Queequeg..." LOL.   :lol:

Milayna

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #108 on: 12 Jul 2018, 19:43 »

So, here's a prediction for the rest of this arc: Clinton decides that Brun needs a hug. She asks him (in her usual way) if this is a socially-appropriate gesture of support or a prelude to a sexual advance. Clinton confirms that it's a gesture of support and so she feels safe to reciprocate, remarking that she isn't entirely opposed to the latter from him. Elliot comes over and it kind of breaks his heart because, as always, he's making assumptions without context. He wanders home in a huff and is taking off his shirt as he walks down the hall, giving Roko a good first view of Human Abs.
1 out of 3 so far, tune in next week to see if Roko makes it a 2! (half point if he accidentally flashes Melon hanging out in his place)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #109 on: 12 Jul 2018, 23:03 »

An interesting call-back to the first appearance of The Secret Bakery in today's strip. Anyone else remember Renee idly mentioning to Padma that the 'blender thing in the back' was on fire? I wonder if the same unidentified bit of bakery technology gave up the ghost for Elliot?

Meanwhile, if Elliot were to learn anything from today's strip, I hope it is this: Not every sad or awkward social interaction in his circle is his fault!

You know, panel 3 makes me think that Brun really wanted to like Raisins and that the biggest disappointment in this interaction for her was finding out this isn't the case. I guess that, ever since childhood, she had this fantasy of what these 'luxury foods' would be like only to finally try one and not like them. Emotionally, it's kind of like chasing the rainbow to its end and finding that the 'pot of gold' only contained lumps of rock that someone painted yellow!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #110 on: 13 Jul 2018, 04:41 »

In Chilean cousine, we use raisins in  salty food specially in stuffing alongside meat, onions, garlic, etc. I love it as an ingredient in that regard and brings out a nice tiny sweet flavour. But in sweet food? Nah, Don't like it.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #111 on: 13 Jul 2018, 05:03 »

I'm a fan of raisins in Moroccan couscous. And yes, in bread too.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Milayna

« Reply #112 on: 13 Jul 2018, 07:50 »

Raisins are superfluous to me, in pretty much any food where they're an option, there's better options.

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #113 on: 13 Jul 2018, 11:10 »

I wasn't entirely sure how to interpret the second panel initially.  My first thought was that both their deodorants had worn off at the same time.  And then that somehow we were going to get a touchback to the previous episode of Brun smelling him. Then I read the last panel and wasn't sure if I wanted to be amused or disappointed.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #114 on: 13 Jul 2018, 11:11 »

Raisins were a cheap way to fill out a dessert when I was a kid. Looking back, we weren't poor, but we did have a lot of work done around the house, which meant that money wasn't so much tight as it was made to stretch.

Raisins in a bread and butter pudding, worked. Or to fill out griddle cakes. That worked too.

Since then I've tried to use raisins in other ways. Throw them into a tagine, they sweeten it. I've thrown them into a roast pork dish, they plump up.

The thing to remember about raisins is that they are just dehydrated grapes. Add them to a dish with liquid in it and they take on a lot of those flavours.
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2018, 11:52 by Castlerook »

Rincewind

• Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad
« Reply #115 on: 13 Jul 2018, 11:45 »

My favorite uses for raisins are:
 1) Clusters of them dipped in milk chocolate
 B) Clusters of them dipped in white chocolate
 Tertious) In soft, chewy, buttery oatmeal raisin cookies
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #116 on: 13 Jul 2018, 13:45 »

Let's try to be cheerful... I love raisins, in pastry, in oatmeal, in chocolate, in couscous, almost anywhere, actually...

When I was a kid, my parents were laborers, and we were three kids, so we weren't exactly rich, even  if my dad worked in Germany for better money. But I must say we had all we needed, for the material part, because I can really relate with Clinton about having a shitty father...
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2018, 13:54 by traroth »
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

LustFilledRunza

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #117 on: 13 Jul 2018, 20:05 »

Foods That Should Be Banned:

1)  Onions
2)  Raisins
3)  Little Debby Snacks
4)  Pistachios
5)  Onions

OldGoat

« Reply #118 on: 13 Jul 2018, 22:30 »

1)  Onions
2)  Raisins
3)  Little Debby Snacks
4)  Pistachios
5)  Onions
HANDS OFF MY WALLA WALLA SWEETS, YOU UNCONSTITUTIONAL ONION BANNER!!  And leave the pistachios alone, too.  You may tell Little Debby to take the raisins with her and not to let the door hit her on the bum on her way out.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #119 on: 14 Jul 2018, 01:16 »

Who the heck is Little Debby?

(I realise I could just google it, but I wanted to post that for effect)

Hands off everything else on that list, you heathen.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #120 on: 14 Jul 2018, 07:25 »

"Little Debby" is short for "The Little Lady Who Brings You Diabetes."
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

OldGoat

« Reply #121 on: 14 Jul 2018, 08:07 »

Who the heck is Little Debby?

(I realise I could just google it, but I wanted to post that for effect)

Hands off everything else on that list, you heathen.
The mascot of a line of baked goods that make Krispy Kreme doughnuts look like health food.  I don't know why they bother adding preservative chemicals - any microbes present have been suffocated in high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated vegetable oil.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #122 on: 14 Jul 2018, 08:50 »

My wife’s favorite sinfully unhealthy snack:

"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #123 on: 14 Jul 2018, 11:51 »

My wife’s favorite sinfully unhealthy snack:

My wife's as well.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

LustFilledRunza

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #124 on: 14 Jul 2018, 13:44 »

1)  Onions
2)  Raisins
3)  Little Debby Snacks
4)  Pistachios
5)  Onions
HANDS OFF MY WALLA WALLA SWEETS, YOU UNCONSTITUTIONAL ONION BANNER!!  And leave the pistachios alone, too.  You may tell Little Debby to take the raisins with her and not to let the door hit her on the bum on her way out.

Just wait.  Our day will come.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #126 on: 14 Jul 2018, 18:12 »

Little Debbie anything is disgusting. Everything else on that list is amazing.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #127 on: 14 Jul 2018, 19:41 »

So, just for stamps, I typed "raisin-filled" into the google search box so that I could see what search suggestions popped up.

There were ten of them. They were all variations on "raisin-filled cookies."

I admit that I am disappoint.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #128 on: 15 Jul 2018, 00:44 »

Had a raisin-and-cinnamon bagel on Friday. I loved it but boy, the sticky crust sticks to the inside of your mouth!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Milayna

« Reply #129 on: 15 Jul 2018, 18:13 »

....Ughhhh. I saw a thing on Twitter that reminded me of why I prefer media like comics and anime - I can actually figure out what expressions mean due to their exaggerated nature. A case in point: https://twitter.com/MarkJKremer/status/1018659320580444160 Near as I can tell, that's a grin. You grin when you're happy or confident. If it weren't for the additional context, that's how I'd interpret it. This is one of the reasons I feel I can relate to Brun. I can parse the expressions in media like this comic more easily as an outsider but in the context, I'd probably fuck it up. I don't know if anyone was side-eyeing that or not but..yeah.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #130 on: 15 Jul 2018, 18:54 »

....Ughhhh. I saw a thing on Twitter that reminded me of why I prefer media like comics and anime - I can actually figure out what expressions mean due to their exaggerated nature. A case in point: https://twitter.com/MarkJKremer/status/1018659320580444160
She got a boob job
She got a what?
A boob job
No!
Yeah!
Put a pad of silicone up against her breastbone
Treat her like a man-made thing

- Keller Williams
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2018, 08:23 by Theta9 »
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #131 on: 15 Jul 2018, 19:21 »

....Ughhhh. I saw a thing on Twitter that reminded me of why I prefer media like comics and anime - I can actually figure out what expressions mean due to their exaggerated nature. A case in point: https://twitter.com/MarkJKremer/status/1018659320580444160 Near as I can tell, that's a grin. You grin when you're happy or confident. If it weren't for the additional context, that's how I'd interpret it. This is one of the reasons I feel I can relate to Brun. I can parse the expressions in media like this comic more easily as an outsider but in the context, I'd probably fuck it up. I don't know if anyone was side-eyeing that or not but..yeah.

The lack of wrinkling around that eyes that tends to happen in a genuine smile suggest that this is being put on for the camera. Add in the context, and that's probably what led this person to interpret her expression as uncomfortable.

oddtail

« Reply #132 on: 17 Jul 2018, 01:17 »

The lack of wrinkling around that eyes that tends to happen in a genuine smile suggest that this is being put on for the camera. Add in the context, and that's probably what led this person to interpret her expression as uncomfortable.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the INTENDED meaning to convey is "smile", but it's a forced one (the rest of the face isn't smiling, just the mouth). I interpret this expression as uncomfortable, too. Even slightly frightened. But I'm pretty sure that's not the intention.

dutchrvl

« Reply #133 on: 17 Jul 2018, 12:29 »

In Chilean cousine, we use raisins in  salty food specially in stuffing alongside meat, onions, garlic, etc. I love it as an ingredient in that regard and brings out a nice tiny sweet flavour. But in sweet food? Nah, Don't like it.

Perhaps this is a Dutch thing, but I always have raisins in homemade apple pie, which is a great combo with the apples and sliced almonds...

Also good in boboti by the way.

Apart from that I think I also only use them in oatmeal raisin cookies.

SpanielBear

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #134 on: 17 Jul 2018, 12:37 »

Perhaps this is a Dutch thing, but I always have raisins in homemade apple pie, which is a great combo with the apples and sliced almonds...

Also good in boboti by the way.

Apart from that I think I also only use them in oatmeal raisin cookies.

Boboti! I only discovered this recently, but it is my favourite comfort food now! If only it didn't take every pan and spice in the kitchen to make properly...

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #135 on: 17 Jul 2018, 21:50 »

I thot "Boboti" were those prepackaged pizza crusts.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

dna_level_c

• Not quite a lurker
  • I am a dude-type person. I just like Emily.
« Reply #136 on: 18 Jul 2018, 03:37 »

I thot "Boboti" were those prepackaged pizza crusts.

No, that's a Bubula.
Apes in the plan, and we're all here to prove it.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #137 on: 19 Jul 2018, 18:28 »

Having rabbits as a kid put me off raisins.

And I had guinea pigs. I learned very quickly that if you drop a raisin on the floor, you don’t pick it up and eat it, ‘cause it probably won’t be a raisin.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up