THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 02:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What else is Sam no longer allowed to do?

Bring in snakes found on her way to school.
- 10 (27%)
Go on "Experiential Days" more than three times a week.
- 11 (29.7%)
Continue to have her "side job" of AI Tattoos.
- 2 (5.4%)
Wear her Skullmaster Master of Skulls mask (Bubbles has it now)
- 4 (10.8%)
Eat Spathe Ham with Waffles.
- 4 (10.8%)
Think about Purple Monkey Elephant Dishwashers.
- 5 (13.5%)
Something else (please specify).
- 1 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3806-3810 (13-17 August 2018)  (Read 32975 times)

derris_kharlan

• Plantmonster
Re: WCDT Strips 3806-3810 (13-17 August 2018)
« Reply #150 on: 17 Aug 2018, 07:55 »

Caveat for this post: I’m not yet a parent (though I hope to be someday)

Jim’s treatment of Faye is out of line.

A 'professional' in charge of my child's well-being failed miserably and caused her great pain and anxiety.

But see, that’s the key difference. Jim didn’t put Faye in charge of Sam, there was no discussion on his part about what the limits are or should be, or what he expected of Faye. When you take your child to a medical professional there is that kind of understanding both by law and by cultural custom. I could understand if Faye had actually done something seriously dangerous, but allowing a tween/teen to use a dremel is not relatively dangerous. Sam could have injured herself worse using a standard hammer. Would you say Jim’s reaction would be fair to Faye if Sam had hit herself with a hammer and broken her finger instead?  I doubt it.

Again, Faye did make a mistake IMO, but not making sure she saw Sam operating the tool safely for a bit first. But Jim is more at fault here than Faye for not properly supervising his daughter in the first place and setting ground rules. Then Sam is at fault for being an idiot when Faye gave her the opportunity to try something.  Jim needs to take responsibility for not laying down the ground rules and arranging things with Faye if he was going to let Sam freely spend time there. Not beat up on poor Faye who already feels bad and took the responsibility to go to him after the accident.

P.S. Soery to hear about your daughters and yours bad experience with the dentist, that’s awful.
Shel kek nem ron.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #151 on: 17 Aug 2018, 10:35 »

In truth, Jim's "no power tools" edict is absurd.  If you know nothing of the business but wander in there selling, what?, stubbed toe insurance or coffee service, your first impression before encountering any of the staff will be, "DAMN that's a lot of power tools!"  (That's before you catch sight of Bubbles and say, "DAMN that's a big war 'droid sans armor!")  There's be a few strips about his dialing back on it, probably with Veronica's intercession.

Jim's the grown-up, but he's out of his depth with his tomboy daughter.  Fact is, Samantha's two Xs instead of a Y and an X may actually be mediating damned fool behavior that would have gotten Samuel killed.  She's a challenge for any parent.

Veronica, OYOH, has her own stuff around not parenting Marten, at least not in any conventional way.  Sam is her opportunity for a do-over. 
(click to show/hide)

Sam, as noted in an earlier comment, has maternal abandonment issues that she's just starting to work through.

With the richly deserving exception of Corpse Witch, Jeph doesn't send his QC characters to Hell in a handbasket.  (There was Sara, but that was early on and the poor allosaurus was starving.  Yelling Bird is still around somewhere else, giving people Hell.)  Jeph's setting up an arc about their growth and development into a family.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #152 on: 17 Aug 2018, 14:31 »

In truth, Jim's "no power tools" edict is absurd.
I wouldn't say absurd, as it not only protects Sam, but also Faye, Bubbles and Dora. We have no idea what insurance they have, or if it covers injuries to people who aren't employed there. I'm not talking about Jim suing Faye and Bubbles. I mean health insurance, liability and several other problems that could have arisen. If Sam had been seriously injured, Faye and Bubbles could have been liable. A quick check and a broken arm can cost around $2500. We have no idea what kind of money Union Robotics is making at the moment, but I imagine that they can't spare that kind of money.

If you know nothing of the business but wander in there selling, what?, stubbed toe insurance or coffee service, your first impression before encountering any of the staff will be, "DAMN that's a lot of power tools!"  (That's before you catch sight of Bubbles and say, "DAMN that's a big war 'droid sans armor!")  There's be a few strips about his dialing back on it, probably with Veronica's intercession.

But to Jim, its all an unknown and outside of his purview. He's right and understandable to be cautious about the equipment. Likewise, Faye and Bubbles are an unknown and from Jim's perspective, until recently they were working in an illegal fight club and workshop. That kind of thing would set alarms blaring in Jim's head.

Jim's the grown-up, but he's out of his depth with his tomboy daughter.  Fact is, Samantha's two Xs instead of a Y and an X may actually be mediating damned fool behavior that would have gotten Sam killed.  She's a challenge for any parent.

You're right. Jim is out of his depth. He runs a time intensive business with long hours. He's divorced and from what we've seen, it wasn't amicable. A bitter divorce could have had an effect on Sam. But the fact that he's protective of her doesn't mean he's bad one. Sam is probably worth more to Jim than anything else in his life and I don't mean a monetary value. Remember, Sam is his only child, but not only that, but she is still a child (or at the latest an early teen). She's rambunctious, an explorer and a little troublemaker. But he's there for her, he works mornings to spend the afternoons and evenings with her. Jim's got a bad situation, but he's making the best of it.

Veronica, OYOH, has her own stuff around not parenting Marten, at least not in any conventional way.  Sam is her opportunity for a do-over. 
(click to show/hide)
Then again, Veronica has had some major missteps in dealing with Marten, even with him as an adult, in particular when she came to visit after the Break-up and perhaps added more to Marten's suffering rather than help alleviate it.

But at the same time, Sam isn't Veronica's daughter. Yeah, she's dating Jim, but in this instance, she has an outside perspective that she's a little blind to herself when she deals with Marten. That outside perspective allows her to get to the heart of the problem a little easier. But yes, it could be that Veronica has learned from her mistakes.

Sam, as noted in an earlier comment, has maternal abandonment issues that she's just starting to work through.
Maybe she does, maybe she doesn't. The divorce could have been water off a duck's back for Sam, as she is living with her father. Sam's actions might speak more to the explorer in her, not quite having the experience to think before she leaps.

With the richly deserving exception of Corpse Witch, Jeph doesn't send his QC characters to Hell in a handbasket.  (There was Sara, but that was early on and the poor allosaurus was starving.  Yelling Bird is still around somewhere else, giving people Hell.)  Jeph's setting up an arc about their growth and development into a family.
Or its a story about Faye needing to live up to her responsibilities; as a business owner, as a friend, as a partner and as an adult. Its great that she's friends with Sam, but there comes a point where Faye can't be a friend and working at the same time when she's at UR.
Or it could be a story about Sam taking those first few steps into becoming an adult. To think before she acts. She's growing up and can't remain someone who lives on instinct.
Or it could be a story about Jim learning that he can't protect his daughter forever, but maybe its time to start trusting her to look after herself.

OldGoat

« Reply #153 on: 17 Aug 2018, 16:45 »

"No power tools" in a place full of them certainly looks absurd to me.  Jim will at some point realize this, and no-nonsense Veronica will likely be the person to have pointed it out to him, although ultra-logical Bubbles could do it, too.

As for her parents' divorce and her mother's absences from her life running off Sam like water off a duck's back - it doesn't work that way, my friend, it just does not work that way.  Some people stuff it and manage to fake it, sometimes for years, but it will sooner or later erupt. 

None of the other scenarios suggested are mutually exclusive. 

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #154 on: 17 Aug 2018, 16:49 »

This thread's storm-in-a-teacup reaction is more absurd than Jim's reaction by orders of magnitude.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

OldGoat

« Reply #155 on: 17 Aug 2018, 17:08 »

This thread's storm-in-a-teacup reaction is more absurd than Jim's reaction by orders of magnitude.
Allow me to edit that so we can get past the who was right/who was wrong business and on to speculation about where Jeph is taking the story.

"Jim's 'Dear daughter who is fascinated with power tools, you may go to the place full of power tools but you aren't allowed to touch any of them,' edict is absurd."

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #156 on: 17 Aug 2018, 17:33 »

Okay. Bearing in mind Bubbles' good influences and Sam's burgeoning spray business, I'll just disagree and leave it at that.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #157 on: 17 Aug 2018, 18:44 »

Just because there are power tools there doesn't mean a 14ish year old should be using them. She can be there to do sprays and socialize with Faybles but actually using the tools is a reasonable line to make to not be crossed.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #158 on: 17 Aug 2018, 19:24 »

Also, the trust he places in both Sam and Faye to respect his wishes is a good move for precisely the same reasons Bubbles had to trust Sam to fess up to the accident.

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS
« Reply #159 on: 17 Aug 2018, 19:33 »

Pintsize is an AnthroPC after all.  He just chooses to be a companion in his own peculiar way.

cybersmurf

« Reply #160 on: 18 Aug 2018, 10:05 »

Pintsize is an AnthroPC after all.  He just chooses to be a companion in his own peculiar way.

Pintsize is crude when he knows he can afford it.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #161 on: 19 Aug 2018, 13:12 »

Pintsize is always  crude.   

But he can be serious when the situation calls for it. 

Like now. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #162 on: 19 Aug 2018, 15:10 »

What else is Sam no longer allowed to do?

Bring in snakes found on her way to school.     10 (27.8%)
Go on "Experiential Days" more than three times a week.     11 (30.6%)

Continue to have her "side job" of AI Tattoos.    2 (5.6%)
Wear her Skullmaster Master of Skulls mask (Bubbles has it now)    4 (11.1%)
Eat Spathe Ham with Waffles.    4 (11.1%)
Think about Purple Monkey Elephant Dishwashers.    4 (11.1%)
Something else (please specify).    1 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #163 on: 20 Aug 2018, 01:29 »

Caveat for this post: I’m not yet a parent (though I hope to be someday)

Jim’s treatment of Faye is out of line.

A 'professional' in charge of my child's well-being failed miserably and caused her great pain and anxiety.

But see, that’s the key difference. Jim didn’t put Faye in charge of Sam, there was no discussion on his part about what the limits are or should be, or what he expected of Faye. When you take your child to a medical professional there is that kind of understanding both by law and by cultural custom. I could understand if Faye had actually done something seriously dangerous, but allowing a tween/teen to use a dremel is not relatively dangerous. Sam could have injured herself worse using a standard hammer. Would you say Jim’s reaction would be fair to Faye if Sam had hit herself with a hammer and broken her finger instead?  I doubt it.

Again, Faye did make a mistake IMO, but not making sure she saw Sam operating the tool safely for a bit first. But Jim is more at fault here than Faye for not properly supervising his daughter in the first place and setting ground rules. Then Sam is at fault for being an idiot when Faye gave her the opportunity to try something.  Jim needs to take responsibility for not laying down the ground rules and arranging things with Faye if he was going to let Sam freely spend time there. Not beat up on poor Faye who already feels bad and took the responsibility to go to him after the accident.

P.S. Soery to hear about your daughters and yours bad experience with the dentist, that’s awful.

I totally accept what you are saying above...
But when you are seeing your child in pain you have to REALLY try hard not to negate logic.

The problem with your suggestion above, is that we only have Sam's take on what Jim does or does not allow her to do. And as others have said before, he allows her to go to sword fighting lessons. Allowing one's child to go to a place where they have 'adult' friends is, in effect, placing your child in their care. As adults, that shouldn't require to be officially confirmed... it's a societal norm.

Putting it simply - Faye dropped the ball.
Not only did she deserve to be called on it, she (rightly) expected it.
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up