THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

End of the Month! What's been the highlight of the summer so far?

The denouement of Faye & Bubbles' first time
- 17 (32.7%)
Guest Strips!
- 0 (0%)
It's a Big Deal (Reaction to Faybles)
- 1 (1.9%)
Bubbles uses Psych Warfare on Pintsize
- 6 (11.5%)
Emily ponders mating practices of Dinosaurs
- 2 (3.8%)
Anthony Jones and Pintsize's group therapy
- 0 (0%)
"It's YOU who is the dork about it!"
- 1 (1.9%)
"Screaming Internally" face
- 2 (3.8%)
Brun, Clinton, Elliott doing the foot-in-mouth tango
- 3 (5.8%)
Roko: "You have soda bread?"
- 3 (5.8%)
Clinton explains about his father
- 0 (0%)
Bubbles gets a makeover!
- 0 (0%)
"Don't ever get romantically involved with a business partner."
- 0 (0%)
Swordsmary Stabitha gets a spray!
- 2 (3.8%)
Permanent Sex Hair
- 3 (5.8%)
Samantha vs. a Dremel
- 1 (1.9%)
"She's being brave, you twit." (with disappearing glasses!)
- 3 (5.8%)
Under the Sea with Hanners and Winslow!
- 4 (7.7%)
Claire's exam anxiety and Pintsize
- 2 (3.8%)
Pintsize gives Marten a clue-by-dildo upside the head!
- 2 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3816-3820 (27-31 August 2018)  (Read 49644 times)

Reaver

• Obscure cultural reference
Re: WCDT Strips 3816-3820 (27-31 August 2018)
« Reply #50 on: 27 Aug 2018, 14:18 »

I know Marten stuck his foot in it originally, but he already got slapped by Ursula, Claire could ease up a bit... "Not to rub it in but" "THis isn't an attack but" "and again this is NOT an attack but.."

Claire be nicer to your boyfriend that already admitted he dunked up ._.
Bravery is looking down the dark hall, knowing that you are utterly terrified of the dark, and charging in anyways.

Busch

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #51 on: 27 Aug 2018, 16:38 »

Welcome, new person!

Claire knows Hannelore. She's therefore a second-degree connection to Station on LinkedIn. Talk about friends in high places.
Thanks, old person!

I think it's kinda like people having literally 1000 friends on Facebook.

Not everyone you know is a, well, useful connection. The one friend who tells you about a job opening (possibly one they just got fired from...) is worth a thousand that technically "friended" you and that was the extent of their interaction.

Of course, sometimes it's a question of opportunity. Maybe Hannelore just doesn't have anything she can help Claire with. But Samantha is a perfect example. A kid who stayed at home and played video games and didn't know anyone wouldn't get the chance to be a budding robot graffiti artist, but she's outgoing, meets people and happened to get to be friends with a couple of people who opened a robot repair shop...

Connections!

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #52 on: 27 Aug 2018, 18:20 »

Today's strip fell really flat to me. The character voicing was off, and the 'punchline' was a bit contorted.

It's genuinely weird looking at this and remembering how recently I was blown away by the side-by-side hip panels of Bubbles and Faye after closing the shop early. Character writing is Jeph's truest strength as an author, and this arc really isn't shining in that regard.
oh god

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #53 on: 27 Aug 2018, 18:32 »

Don't do it, Claire!  Some hides handle tatts better than others, and gingers very often fall into the not-so-well end of the scale.

I know some of y'all love your ink, but it's not for everyone.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #54 on: 27 Aug 2018, 18:51 »

Ink is for whoever wants it.

Tattoos aren't a solution but they don't hurt. Except when you're getting them, and when they're healing, and possibly emotionally later if you're like, "This was silly to get. Maybe I can get it covered with a tiger or something."

TheEvilDog

« Reply #55 on: 27 Aug 2018, 19:05 »

Tattoos are a solution.

Well, technically the ink is, comprised of a carrier and colourant. But hey semantics.

Also, I have to agree with MrNumbers, this comic kinda feels a little flat. In fact, the whole storyline thus far has felt a little contrived. It feels like too easy a solution for Claire, especially considering how stressed and anxious she was a couple of strips ago.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #56 on: 27 Aug 2018, 20:07 »

Add me to the list. It feels like Jeph is trying very hard to speak through his characters instead of letting them speak.

Tattoos aren't a solution but they don't hurt. Except when you're getting them, and when they're healing, and possibly emotionally later if you're like, "This was silly to get. Maybe I can get it covered with a tiger or something."

But other than that, Mrs Lincoln...  :wink:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #57 on: 27 Aug 2018, 20:40 »

I do sometimes forget Claire is trans, so that also may be a source of anxiety.

Saying that, generally this plotline hasn't worked that well for me. Other than Pintsize and his bits. :D

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #58 on: 27 Aug 2018, 21:05 »

Tattoos are a solution.

Well, technically the ink is, comprised of a carrier and colourant. But hey semantics.

Also, I have to agree with MrNumbers, this comic kinda feels a little flat. In fact, the whole storyline thus far has felt a little contrived. It feels like too easy a solution for Claire, especially considering how stressed and anxious she was a couple of strips ago.

A colloid, actually.

I wouldn't be surprised if Claire has a recurrence of the anxiety.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #59 on: 27 Aug 2018, 23:29 »

I think that it was very polite of Marten not to tell Claire that his 'privilege' was realising that Tai had written the job application form in iambic pentameter.

All that aside, two things occur to me about this strip:
  • Given the number of people in various forums that have been shouting "Claire, you're projecting your fears on others", either Jeph is reading more reader feedback or we're just that good at reading his mind;
  • IMO, panel 6 proves that Claire is gradually replacing Marten as Jeph's self-insert and occasional mouthpiece.
Hands up who read Claire's suggested tattoo in panel 5 as 'Nobody's Perfect' and had to read the speech bubble slowly to see the joke. Ah, the wonders of the mind's ability to correct for what it expects to see rather than what is there! :-P
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Max Wilder

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #60 on: 28 Aug 2018, 00:26 »

Hands up who read Claire's suggested tattoo in panel 5 as 'Nobody's Perfect' and had to read the speech bubble slowly to see the joke. Ah, the wonders of the mind's ability to correct for what it expects to see rather than what is there! :-P

I was even signing on to say the tattoo should read like Eleanor's joke in The Good Place. I can't believe I didn't see the joke was already what she said!
I find your lack of pants disturbing...

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #61 on: 28 Aug 2018, 01:42 »

Shyyeaaaahhh...

This particular arc isn't making me like Claire any better...
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

RMc

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #62 on: 28 Aug 2018, 03:02 »

"I didn't want to turn this into a referendum on your privilege"?

Who talks like this? Good Lord, how tiresome this girl is.

Jakk Frost

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #63 on: 28 Aug 2018, 04:00 »

I think that it was very polite of Marten not to tell Claire that his 'privilege' was realising that Tai had written the job application form in iambic pentameter.

Indeed, as well as the fact that it was just a matter of "right place, right time".  Had Claire been in that position, she could just as easily have had the same "privilege" she accuses Marten of having. 

Now maybe someone like Brun can come along and point out to Claire about her own "privilege" of getting to have a post-secondary education, let alone one in a field that's actually useful in life, one that can become an actual career.  (Even if in low demand).

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #64 on: 28 Aug 2018, 05:51 »

It's only tuesday. So let's see where this takes us.

Much though I can understand the need, right now, for Claire to get the support she needs, she is working on assumptions based on things that developed after the fact. Part of it might be her own anxiety, her own focus on the path she's chosen for herself, but that's only more reason for her to see the true context.

That's why I wondered how much time has passed. (Thanks, dutchvlr!)
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

tbm275

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #65 on: 28 Aug 2018, 06:18 »

Ok, super longtime lurker, read through all the comments for the past 4-6 months of WCDT.

And I've gotta say....

You guys are killing the story.

Just stop psychoanalyzing every little move and every little word each one says and trying to guess and say what they should do next because you've gotten to know the characters so much that you think you can write the story better. But when it happens the way you figure it or it doesn't happen the way you figure it would you complain and argue and are out with pitchforks anytime a character seems to be given the slightest slight.

Sit back and enjoy the story, don't post for a month and see how much better you feel.

I've enjoyed every strip thus far, even Tilly, and maybe you all would again if you tried not telling jeff how to write the story.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #66 on: 28 Aug 2018, 06:19 »

she is working on assumptions based on things that developed after the fact. Part of it might be her own anxiety, her own focus on the path she's chosen for herself, but that's only more reason for her to see the true context.

Par for the course with Claire. How many times has she put the cart before the horse with regards to people, only for it to come back and smack her in the face about how wrong she was? I'd say its her major character flaw.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #67 on: 28 Aug 2018, 06:37 »

Sit back and enjoy the story, don't post for a month and see how much better you feel.

Not much point in a WCDT, then, is there?
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #68 on: 28 Aug 2018, 06:40 »

Ok, super longtime lurker, read through all the comments for the past 4-6 months of WCDT.

And I've gotta say....

Just stop psychoanalyzing every little move and every little word each one says and trying to guess and say what they should do next because you've gotten to know the characters so much that you think you can write the story better. But when it happens the way you figure it or it doesn't happen the way you figure it would you complain and argue and are out with pitchforks anytime a character seems to be given the slightest slight.

I've enjoyed every strip thus far, even Tilly, and maybe you all would again if you tried not telling jeff Jeph how to write the story.

You do realise that this is a weekly discussion thread, right? We're going to discuss the comic, in minutiae. A story will always require a level of deep discussion to really understand what is going on as well as what is going on with the characters.

Which is another way of saying that its rather brash to make your first post one telling everyone what to do.

The thing about Questionable Content is that its a five day a week comic and while it can go through storylines at a relatively faster pace than other comics, the fact is that its not really suited to a story that runs for months. It tends to drag on, the momentum of the earlier story lost by the end and with it the interest garnered evaporates. It doesn't help when a divisive character is introduced. You liked Tilly, great. Not everyone did. They came across as obnoxious or deaf to the concerns of their new employer and by the time the revelation of what Hanners mother was doing, which might have redeemed Tilly, well, the damage by then was done.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

dutchrvl

« Reply #69 on: 28 Aug 2018, 06:41 »

All that aside, two things occur to me about this strip:
  • Given the number of people in various forums that have been shouting "Claire, you're projecting your fears on others", either Jeph is reading more reader feedback or we're just that good at reading his mind;
  • IMO, panel 6 proves that Claire is gradually replacing Marten as Jeph's self-insert and occasional mouthpiece.

As for your first assertion, I think it's neither; I actually think it's a testament to how well Jeph develops his characters and makes their behavioral/thinking patterns consistent in his writing. We have come to know Claire as a certain person, and based on what we know of her and how she has behaved so far in this arc, we could surmise that she was projecting her own expectations.

tbm275

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #70 on: 28 Aug 2018, 06:46 »

You do realise that this is a weekly discussion thread, right? We're going to discuss the comic, in minutiae. A story will always require a level of deep discussion to really understand what is going on as well as what is going on with the characters.

Which is another way of saying that its rather brash to make your first post one telling everyone what to do.

The thing about Questionable Content is that its a five day a week comic and while it can go through storylines at a relatively faster pace than other comics, the fact is that its not really suited to a story that runs for months. It tends to drag on, the momentum of the earlier story lost by the end and with it the interest garnered evaporates. It doesn't help when a divisive character is introduced. You liked Tilly, great. Not everyone did. They came across as obnoxious or deaf to the concerns of their new employer and by the time the revelation of what Hanners mother was doing, which might have redeemed Tilly, well, the damage by then was done.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Discussion is fine, but when marten gets torn to shreds because hes human and doesn't notice things, when claire gets attacked because shes got human and is jealous and lets it all out. It is human emotion.

Others state that this arc doesn't feel right or feels forced, again, if you stop hyper analyzing everything you could maybe enjoy it again.

Does anyone remember The Last Jedi? It was analyzed a million times over before it was released and it let everyone down. That is what I feel happened here, you all expect so much and are constantly let down by it or get mad and argue that it doesn't happen the way you planned it in your head.

(mod edit: fixed quote tags, no other changes)
« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2018, 10:58 by Is it cold in here? »

dutchrvl

« Reply #71 on: 28 Aug 2018, 06:56 »

And I've gotta say....

I've enjoyed every strip thus far, even Tilly, and maybe you all would again if you tried not telling jeff how to write the story.

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Secondly, I don't think anyone here is trying to tell Jeph how to write the stories, we are simply commenting on them, i.e. how we feel about them, what we think is going on, analyzing why characters behave the way they do, whether we think it makes sense in the context of their prior behaviors, etc.

Often times our comments will be very positive (see the Faybles-arc and QC in general), sometimes they will be more critical about arcs/characters. the majority of the time though it's simply analysis from all of our different viewpoints, which is exactly what a discussion forum is meant for, no? the fact that many here are so involved in analyzing QC only shows you how incredibly engaged/invested we are, which to me seems the biggest compliment a comic writer can receive.
In my opinion, it would be rather boring if all everybody would do here is sing Jeph's praises.   

Finally, while I very much welcome you on the forum, it is rather odd to use a first post on a discussion forum to tell everybody they should perhaps not be discussing....or at least discussing it much less  :psyduck:

dutchrvl

« Reply #72 on: 28 Aug 2018, 07:06 »

Discussion is fine, but when marten gets torn to shreds because hes human and doesn't notice things, when claire gets attacked because shes got human and is jealous and lets it all out. It is human emotion.

Others state that this arc doesn't feel right or feels forced, again, if you stop hyper analyzing everything you could maybe enjoy it again.

Does anyone remember The Last Jedi? It was analyzed a million times over before it was released and it let everyone down. That is what I feel happened here, you all expect so much and are constantly let down by it or get mad and argue that it doesn't happen the way you planned it in your head.

I really think you are interpreting the discussions here much worse than they are. I for one have not gotten the impression at all that people here are "constantly being let down" or are mad that things don't happen the way they thought it would.

As for Marten and Claire getting "attacked" (you mean criticized yes?), well, again we are invested in the characters and thus discuss them as other human beings. As such, we discuss all their character traits, both positive and negative. Of course people behave the way they do because of their emotions, but does that mean not-great behavior should not be criticized because of it?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #73 on: 28 Aug 2018, 07:16 »

...telling jeff how to write the story.

That wouldn't work anyway, 'cos his name is Jeph.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #74 on: 28 Aug 2018, 07:19 »

You did? Like seriously:-o

Are you feeling alright? How many fingers am I holding up?
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

specter177

« Reply #75 on: 28 Aug 2018, 07:25 »

I'm just glad The Good Place appears to exist in the QC universe.

cybersmurf

« Reply #76 on: 28 Aug 2018, 07:51 »

Personally, I've got the feeling Claire is overreacting a bit, but that's on par with her current stats of mind.
Marten didn't have a friend in the building at the time, he just reacted to a job posting in a newspaper, and found the iambic pentameter, that's about all he did. Of course Claire is a bit, well probably both jealous and annoyed, to a good extent rightly so. I would consider it funny if Tai quit for whatever reason and Claire got her position.
Also, I wouldn't call Marten getting that job "privilege", it's just sheer luck. And given Claire being Trans everything probably feels like an uphill battle, even if it didn't have to be, and that adds to the whole situation. Fighting all those battles probably brought her to a better position than taking the easy route, but you're allowed a breather every now and then.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

heyjames4

« Reply #77 on: 28 Aug 2018, 07:55 »

People have been asking for awhile to see Marten and Claire being a couple. To see them doing the work of supporting each other and growing. And now this arc is that. Yay.

tbm275

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #78 on: 28 Aug 2018, 07:57 »

Read daily, after each post, for that length of time. Not actually reading them in the all at once  :laugh:
The comic itself I read over about a 2 month span and have then been following it daily since uhhh... Bembo? Give or take

pallanox

• Furry furrier
« Reply #79 on: 28 Aug 2018, 08:58 »

Unless Claire is thinking that she's entitled to a librarian position.

At which point, I wonder if Claire realises exactly how much of her work would be dealing with books and how much would be dealing with people, faculty, students, meetings and researchers and so on. As Claire has proven on a couple of occasions, she's not exactly good with people, in which case Claire might be in for a rude awakening.

This is on point.  Marten may not have had the direct qualifications but passing the interview is a lot more than thst. Claire needs to learn this. Using the privilege argument is bogus

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #80 on: 28 Aug 2018, 09:03 »

At which point, I wonder if Claire realises exactly how much of her work would be dealing with books and how much would be dealing with people, faculty, students, meetings and researchers and so on. As Claire has proven on a couple of occasions, she's not exactly good with people, in which case Claire might be in for a rude awakening.

This is on point.  Marten may not have had the direct qualifications but passing the interview is a lot more than thst. Claire needs to learn this. Using the privilege argument is bogus

Uhuh. Sooooh - In your experience: What could I expect to be asked if I were to interview for a position as a librarian?
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

pallanox

• Furry furrier
« Reply #81 on: 28 Aug 2018, 09:08 »

Uhuh. Sooooh - In your experience: What could I expect to be asked if I were to interview for a position as a librarian?

Having a degree or dip in that field or similar may have put him in the running. Leadership and organisational skills. Does he match what they are looking for at the moment.

This is why you never date your trainees.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #82 on: 28 Aug 2018, 09:15 »

"Must... read... ALL... the posts..." ("I worry about you.")
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

pallanox

• Furry furrier
« Reply #83 on: 28 Aug 2018, 09:17 »

Personally, I've got the feeling Claire is overreacting a bit, but that's on par with her current stats of mind.
Marten didn't have a friend in the building at the time, he just reacted to a job posting in a newspaper, and found the iambic pentameter, that's about all he did. Of course Claire is a bit, well probably both jealous and annoyed, to a good extent rightly so. I would consider it funny if Tai quit for whatever reason and Claire got her position.
Also, I wouldn't call Marten getting that job "privilege", it's just sheer luck. And given Claire being Trans everything probably feels like an uphill battle, even if it didn't have to be, and that adds to the whole situation. Fighting all those battles probably brought her to a better position than taking the easy route, but you're allowed a breather every now and then.

Even though she has the qualifications on paper, I would not recommend her to replace tai. She is ill suited for management role. I know her life has been rough, but when you are a manager you have to be fair, regardless of your battles.

cybersmurf

« Reply #84 on: 28 Aug 2018, 09:22 »

Even though she has the qualifications on paper, I would not recommend her to replace tai. She is ill suited for management role. I know her life has been rough, but when you are a manager you have to be fair, regardless of your battles.

I never said it was a good idea. Might still work out since Marten probably would stand up to her and correct her ways. But that's something we'll probably never see anyway. Maybe she'll take a position in a NY theater library and run into Angus regularly. that's something I consider as probable as my previous idea.

pallanox

• Furry furrier
« Reply #85 on: 28 Aug 2018, 09:42 »

I never said it was a good idea. Might still work out since Marten probably would stand up to her and correct her ways. But that's something we'll probably never see anyway. Maybe she'll take a position in a NY theater library and run into Angus regularly. that's something I consider as probable as my previous idea.

This is a chance for her to grow as a person.  As it stands,  she is barely tolerable.  She is manipulative,  treats her Trans like a disability,  and rolls with a chip on her shoulder.

All of the attributes which make a terrible boss.  Or a perfect boss who is a tyrant

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #86 on: 28 Aug 2018, 09:52 »

She is manipulative, treats her Trans like a disability,  and rolls with a chip on her shoulder.

Come again?

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #87 on: 28 Aug 2018, 09:54 »

I remember a giant pink eraser from my childhood with the motto "Everybody makes misteaks" emblazoned on it. 

I saw the P in "pobody's" right away - took me two more readings to see the N in "nerfect"
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #88 on: 28 Aug 2018, 10:34 »

This is a chance for her to grow as a person.  As it stands,  she is barely tolerable.  She is manipulative,  treats her Trans like a disability,  and rolls with a chip on her shoulder.

I disagree with the bolded part. Claire's nature as a trans person has never been a disability and bar her family, her boyfriend and Emily, Claire has never advertised that she was trans.

Now, Claire does have something of an attitude problem and she does have a problem keeping her nose out of other peoples' business, but then again with an Augustus nose, that seems rather difficult. But the simple fact is, even with the strides made in the past few years, I would imagine that Claire suddenly using being trans to get things her way would cause her far more problems than it would ever solve.

pallanox

• Furry furrier
« Reply #89 on: 28 Aug 2018, 10:34 »

She is manipulative, treats her Trans like a disability,  and rolls with a chip on her shoulder.

Come again?

Many times she tends to lean on the fact that she is Trans is why she has it harder that everybody else.

Maybe this is a sign that USS Clarten is taking on water.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #90 on: 28 Aug 2018, 10:38 »

I remember when a much smaller proportion of the WCDT was minutely dissecting the comic, projecting one's real-world difficulties onto the comic, or dictating in detail how the poster wanted the comic to go.

I first logged on during the fading echoes of what was called the Dorapocalypse, so I think the WCDT might have been dialing itself back. It was certainly more laid-back and humorous then.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

judemorrigan

« Reply #91 on: 28 Aug 2018, 11:00 »

Come again?

Many times she tends to lean on the fact that she is Trans is why she has it harder that everybody else.

I feel like you're engaging in some fairly serious projection here.  I haven't particularly noticed her doing that at all.  I mean, heck, if that was the sort of thing she *was* prone to - don't you think the possibility of having to deal with bigoted hiring managers would be something she'd be bringing up in the conversation she's having?  As like, her first point?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #92 on: 28 Aug 2018, 11:04 »

Come again?

I can't think of an example of her doing that.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #93 on: 28 Aug 2018, 11:07 »

Come again?

#meneither

dutchrvl

« Reply #94 on: 28 Aug 2018, 11:10 »

Come again?

#meneither

#orme

The only instance I remember where Claire talked about issues related to being trans is her convo with Pintsize, and she never talked about any issues she herself may have had in that convo.

dutchrvl

« Reply #95 on: 28 Aug 2018, 11:42 »

Today's strip fell really flat to me. The character voicing was off, and the 'punchline' was a bit contorted.

It's genuinely weird looking at this and remembering how recently I was blown away by the side-by-side hip panels of Bubbles and Faye after closing the shop early. Character writing is Jeph's truest strength as an author, and this arc really isn't shining in that regard.

The current storyline, as well as the one with Clinton/Brun/Elliott, feel a little too forced for me. To me it feels as if Jeph has been wanting to address privilege for a while, perhaps partially due to it being part of public conversation for a while now (to some extent). He more or less started addressing that with the Winslow-getting-a-body arc around comic 3550.
While I think it's great he wants to address the various forms of privilege, it feels like the 2 recent narratives I mentioned were a little too contrived, which makes them feel a tad preachy. In the current arc, it's barely even a privilege thing, but perhaps that's where Jeph is going with this, to address Claire unjustly giving Marten a hard time for landing his job. 

cybersmurf

« Reply #96 on: 28 Aug 2018, 12:03 »

The current storyline, as well as the one with Clinton/Brun/Elliott, feel a little too forced for me. To me it feels as if Jeph has been wanting to address privilege for a while, perhaps partially due to it being part of public conversation for a while now (to some extent). He more or less started addressing that with the Winslow-getting-a-body arc around comic 3550.
While I think it's great he wants to address the various forms of privilege, it feels like the 2 recent narratives I mentioned were a little too contrived, which makes them feel a tad preachy. In the current arc, it's barely even a privilege thing, but perhaps that's where Jeph is going with this, to address Claire unjustly giving Marten a hard time for landing his job.

A Hannelore privilege arc could go horribly wrong here.

I remember when a much smaller proportion of the WCDT was minutely dissecting the comic, projecting one's real-world difficulties onto the comic, or dictating in detail how the poster wanted the comic to go.

I first logged on during the fading echoes of what was called the Dorapocalypse, so I think the WCDT might have been dialing itself back. It was certainly more laid-back and humorous then.

doralocalypse? was that when they split up? I started reading QC roughly around the time they made up as friends at that one house party.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #97 on: 28 Aug 2018, 12:27 »

Yes, that's what the term means. Several things went wrong at once and the flame war was a thing of horror that almost got the forum deleted. I cannot remember seeing anything worse in over thirty years online.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #98 on: 28 Aug 2018, 12:45 »

Provide evidence (for what no one else can remember), or expect to be laughed out of court.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

bovinity

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #99 on: 28 Aug 2018, 13:19 »

The only thing that bugs me about the recent panels is this idea that Marten has some kind of amazing job just because it's in a library. His job is basically a "Library Assistant" at best if I remember right. It's as entry level as you can get, no qualifications, no real career path for most.

No one actually going through school for their MLS would even want that job. Claire - or any other person going through school for their MLS or other library related degree - being jealous of that just because it's "in a library" would be like someone getting an MBA and aiming for a C-level position but being jealous of someone in the mail room just because it's "in a corporation".

Not sure if that's an issue on the part of the writer or the characters, but it irked me so I just had to vent. :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up