Friendship
- 19 (17.4%)
Personal development
- 16 (14.7%)
Anxiety
- 15 (13.8%)
Cereal
- 7 (6.4%)
I will describe below something that is so weirdly specific that I will look like a genius if something vaguely like it it happens
- 2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3826-3830 (10-14 September 2018)  (Read 35585 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: WCDT Strips 3826-3830 (10-14 September 2018)
« Reply #100 on: 13 Sep 2018, 15:21 »

Your imagination is a terrifying place ...

Simply being able to utter "4chan" is a warning sign.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pallanox

• Furry furrier
« Reply #101 on: 13 Sep 2018, 15:28 »

When I said "we", it was a generalization.

Robot jail is probably
1) sensory depravation on an increase in sensory input that would make an ai space an uncertain reality.
2) have to read Reddit posts or have it read back to in a low frequency.
3) listen to "baby shark" on repeat. Forever

Or it could just be normal and may cannot deal with the fact she cannot act as she pleases.

Momo is well meaning. And marigold. 

TheEvilDog

« Reply #102 on: 13 Sep 2018, 15:52 »

1. Considering that AI don't have corporeal bodies in the same fashion we do, sensory deprivation would probably do nothing to them. They don't have senses. More than likely they're forced to run endless mundane, monotonous calculations for the duration of their sentence. Either that or the digital equivalent of A Clockwork Orange.
2. Would you give someone who just tried to embezzle millions to buy a bleeding edge fighter access to the internet? Because even the most heinous restrictions can be avoided. Because in prison, people have nothing but time. And an AI has even more. More than likely Robot Jail would be an isolated server.

And well meaning is all well and good, but for some people the act of trying to understand is not enough. Its one thing to read about someone's experience in prison, but its knowledge without context. And to someone who has gone through it like May, to have someone come up to you and say "Oh, how bad was Robot Jail", it comes off as insulting. Because it denigrates what she's gone through. She's paid her debt to AI society, she doesn't need the reminders of what she's gone through.

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #103 on: 13 Sep 2018, 16:00 »

Marigold was kind of rude but May was the one that brought up the topic of robot jail. That said, May's reaction was tame for her and I don't really feel that either party here has done anything particularly awful.

On the topic of May's situation: honestly, considering her crime, not being able to rent out processor space seems pretty fair. Her current job sucks, sure but she HAD a decent job and leveraged her position to commit fraud. I don't feel bad that she has essentially ruined her career opportunities nor do I think she is owed a better position. However, she should have been provided with proper health care as a basic right regardless of her employment and I think that's important. (Not really debating previous posters, just sharing my opinion generally).

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #104 on: 13 Sep 2018, 16:36 »

<snip>

And well meaning is all well and good, but for some people the act of trying to understand is not enough. Its one thing to read about someone's experience in prison, but its knowledge without context. And to someone who has gone through it like May, to have someone come up to you and say "Oh, how bad was Robot Jail", it comes off as insulting. Because it denigrates what she's gone through. She's paid her debt to AI society, she doesn't need the reminders of what she's gone through.

Gramps was of the same opinion concerning war-stories. As a sprog, I was disappointed.

I'm not a kid any more
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #105 on: 13 Sep 2018, 18:12 »

On the subject of Robot Jail, my speculations have run to the following with equal yet more horrifying levels
  • Isolation in a white space
  • as above but having Customer service rep conversations passed through her "space" with no interaction
  • again as the first but this time it is having all those fraudulent transactions streamed in a continuous loop with the court logs as narrative
  • Isolation in darkness and the only light are the postings in 4chan - yes this is where satan goes potty

4chan?  What about Reddit?

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #106 on: 13 Sep 2018, 18:27 »

Methinks that Jeph already expressed an opinion about reddit that I happen to share rather recently.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #107 on: 13 Sep 2018, 18:31 »

On the subject of Robot Jail, my speculations have run to the following with equal yet more horrifying levels
  • as above but having Customer service rep conversations passed through her "space" with no interaction
  • again as the first but this time it is having all those fraudulent transactions streamed in a continuous loop with the court logs as narrative
  • Isolation in darkness and the only light are the postings in 4chan - yes this is where satan goes potty

Reddit is where the toilet flushes to after Satan goes potty.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #108 on: 13 Sep 2018, 21:05 »

Marigold was kind of rude but May was the one that brought up the topic of robot jail. That said, May's reaction was tame for her and I don't really feel that either party here has done anything particularly awful.

On the topic of May's situation: honestly, considering her crime, not being able to rent out processor space seems pretty fair. Her current job sucks, sure but she HAD a decent job and leveraged her position to commit fraud. I don't feel bad that she has essentially ruined her career opportunities nor do I think she is owed a better position. However, she should have been provided with proper health care as a basic right regardless of her employment and I think that's important. (Not really debating previous posters, just sharing my opinion generally).

As Momo pointed out, the greatest good of the greatest number would be better served if May's CPU were being used for atmospheric modeling instead. Who's getting punished here?

That said, I prefer the company of people who show awareness of how their actions affect themselves and others. I suspect I might wind up avoiding May if I met her in "real life". She's a little too much like some people I see in prison support forums talking about how they "caught another charge". She's been treated unfairly, possibly cruelly, she's in the right to mention it, but it's so incomplete as to be misleading when she doesn't acknowledge trying to betray her employer's trust.

Maybe she's too ashamed of her actions to talk about them, as opposed to being psychopathically indifferent. That would be fascinating characterization.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Nycticoraci

• Plantmonster
« Reply #109 on: 13 Sep 2018, 21:16 »

You guys are thinking too organic, I think. Here's my thoughts on robot prison as a computer scientist.

We already know that AI in robot jail are deprived of "bodies" per se. Their only physical existence will be their memory and processing circuits.

That, in itself is already a huge punishment, especially for AI with an "attachment". Imagine Roko having to deal with it. (Though I know, being a cop, probably not likely, unless to have some empathy and understanding of where she's sending AI).

My vote is the following:

The goal is reformation with punishment included, therefore:

Only one data input, no output.
Input is sending a constant loop of data regarding human and ai law, and morality. Particular emphasis on the law and morality surrounding the crimes that were committed. No sugar coating to make the knowledge more interesting. I'm talking "Clause 4a of International Finance Law, Book 14, Section 12b, Subsection 3, Addendum iv" kind of stuff.

Computers or not, these AI are sentient and sapient. Boredom is not something they can switch off. (Or if it is, the prison could disable it).

Perhaps they might also down-cycle the processors, or under-volt them. Not enough to cause system failures, or "other" effects, but enough to reduce original thought, limit imagination, and otherwise make continued existence in the singular data-stream that little bit harder.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #110 on: 13 Sep 2018, 21:44 »

Her explanation to dale why she was in robot prison, didn't paint that she regretted her actions at all.

May doesn't express genuine emotions that might make her feel vulnerable easily.

Her job, which she should have treated as repentance she complains about.

Ever worked at a convenience store?  The ones who don't complain are the ones you have to worry about.  :laugh:

Also, repentance? Aside from the humorous image of people prostrating themselves and confessing their sins while crying before a Seven/Eleven sign, she's already done that, you know, in prison. She did her time. And also, she did express her gratefulness to Dale about getting the job.

But a bad job is still a bad job.

She isn't able to afford a new robot body? She thinks that everyone has it better without taking time to learn context. 

This is actually a quality of life issue for her. I think she was wrong when she lashed out at Winslow over his new body, but it's easy to understand why she did it. It's not a question of being envious of a guy's new smart phone, it's a question of being envious of a guy's functioning arm socket.

She has had redeeming moments which is why we find her interesting

Is that a royal we?  :-P

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #111 on: 13 Sep 2018, 21:54 »

I kinda wanna see Marigold in Faye's Bear shirt. Why? Mar-bear.

Maybe robo jail is having AIs do stuff, but with barely any processing power but to run their sentience. Like everything takes forever no matter what they do. Or they have no control about what is being passed through their consciousness, like May had to so fighter jet calculations.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

QuestionableIntentions

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #112 on: 13 Sep 2018, 21:56 »

Urgh, here we go again with May's whining.

"I broke the law, how dare you all not forget that instantly!"

"She asked a question abou my past, HOW DARE SHE!"

God, May, get a fucking grib.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #113 on: 13 Sep 2018, 22:11 »

Hating ex-cons doesn't make us safer. Re-integrating them does. May shouldn't get another job at a bank but the better the livelihood she can pursue the better off society is.

I thought more about May's lack of reaction to her crime. The interesting thing here is we know for sure that she has a conscience. She felt apparently genuine regret about lashing out at Winslow. That's weight on the scale of the idea that she's not prefacing every complaint with "I know I fucked up but" because she's too ashamed to confront what she did.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #114 on: 13 Sep 2018, 22:36 »

So Hell’s cesspool?  Gotcha.

Dale is a better man than most.  I can empathize with May to a point and she’s capable of helping others at critical times, but her abrasive behavior doesn’t make her an easy person to like. 

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #115 on: 13 Sep 2018, 23:24 »

I think I get why May is so upset in panel 6 of today's strip. To be a Tsundere requires that the motivation of her grumpyness be a desire to hide her essentially good nature and, possibly, a romantic attraction to someone. May doesn't want to believe she's got a good nature, even though Dale and Momo know better. Additionally, the last thing she wants is for Marigold to be watching her to try to work out who her crush might be (It's Hank the Dismemberer, of course but Marigold doesn't know that).

IMO, Robot Jail is a virtual space with minimal sensory input and little interaction. In order to maintain algorithmic stability (to stop the prisoner from going insane) there are probably 'community times', when the 'cell' isolated processing spaces are networked, allowing conversation between prisoners and possibly even physical interaction within the terms of the virtual reality. However, generally the only thing the prisoner has is the minimal inputs of their 'cell' and a 'dumb' rehab program whose only function is to teach them to be more socially responsible and find their way to understanding why what they did is unacceptable to society. Imagine being in a cell about 20 hours a day with an indestructible animatronic cell-mate whose only function is to get you to admit that you're a bad person who deserves their punishment.

As with most human prisons, I imagine that entertainment and recreational materials are privileges that must be earned by cooperative behaviour. Something tells me that May has probably played every possible permutation of Microsoft Solitaire and Minesweeper.

EDIT
Removed unnecessary parentheses
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2018, 00:06 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #116 on: 13 Sep 2018, 23:58 »

Urgh, here we go again with May's whining.

God, May, get a fucking grib.

So having broken the law means she is a law breaker forever and nothing else and is required to answer questions about it regardless of how she feels? Pretty pleased she doesn't have a grip on that.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #117 on: 14 Sep 2018, 00:05 »

Is the penal system about retribution or rehabilitation?

We must accept that it's not going to be a one-size-fits-all solution.  In May's case, genuine remorse for having betrayed a trust would be a key indicator of rehabilitation.  Having served a sentence that was so unpleasant that she never wants to risk it again is not the optimal outcome and carries a higher risk of recidivism. 

May is Jeph's vehicle for examining how society, in our universe or QC's, deals with criminal behavior.  The QC universe is a pretty hopeful place, and Jeph writes dynamic characters who justify that hope (viz this week's revelation of unexpected depth to Pintsize's silicon soul).  May is too potentially interesting for him to leave as a piece of background hardware.  Look for her, in time, to come to genuinely regret shitting on her former employers' trust.  We're going to get to watch May develop the ability for introspection.  A human psychopath has no conscience and (at least according to current thinking) isn't able to grow one, but I suspect AIs can.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #118 on: 14 Sep 2018, 00:22 »

But too many people consider these questions without considering prison happening to them or someone they love.

It's one of the common arguments for harsher sentencing for things like paedophilia. 'If someone did that to my kids...' Yeah, but what if your kids did that to someone else?

I couldn't tell you what prison is supposed to be about. But it sure as shit shouldn't be about holding it over someone's head the rest of their lives.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #119 on: 14 Sep 2018, 00:57 »

It's more like, "Marigold brought up my time in Robot Jail, and it hurt me because I'm not ready to deal with that trauma, and because I'm not dealing well with the way people treat me now they see me as an ex-con and can't seem to see past it."

Only she doesn't quite have the EQ or willingness to express that in so many words, even to Dale.

Dale's a good listener, btw, because:

1. He didn't immediately try to solve her problem.
2. He empathised.
3. He stayed calm, which allowed May to do the same once she'd vented.
4. Only once she was calm again did he explain the situation with Marigold.

10/10 Would vent again.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #120 on: 14 Sep 2018, 00:59 »

Does the US not have any means of considering a conviction "spent"?  In the UK there is a mechanism by which, for instance, for most jobs the employer is not permitted to consider a spent conviction in deciding if someone is suitable, and the applicant is not required to declare it.

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #121 on: 14 Sep 2018, 01:19 »

Does the US not have any means of considering a conviction "spent"?  In the UK there is a mechanism by which, for instance, for most jobs the employer is not permitted to consider a spent conviction in deciding if someone is suitable, and the applicant is not required to declare it.

"Now bring me prisoner 24601... Your time is up, and your parole's begun. You know what that means?"

"Yes! It means I'm FREE!"

"No..."
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #122 on: 14 Sep 2018, 01:23 »

Certain offenses allow for you to request they be expunged from your record after a certain period of time. I'm not entirely sure what the specific criteria are.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #123 on: 14 Sep 2018, 03:04 »

Reddit has redeeming features.
ie: r/tippytaps.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #124 on: 14 Sep 2018, 03:39 »

Quote from: War Sparrow
r/tippytaps.

Oh my gosh, thank you for making me aware of this.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #125 on: 14 Sep 2018, 04:07 »

10/10 Would vent again.

He's a good boy, Brunt ...
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #126 on: 14 Sep 2018, 04:58 »

I also have to disagree with the 'should' word here. Repentance? The penal system isn't about repentance, religious or otherwise. She is serving her time. I also see no reason why she has to regret her actions. Regret achieves nothing for the person regretting, particularly when that is regret of a crime.

And this, at its basic, is the reason why the American correctional system fails. People presume that "doing time = repentance." That is why many states call their state-run jail facilities "penitentiaries".
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

pallanox

• Furry furrier
« Reply #127 on: 14 Sep 2018, 06:21 »

This is an interesting collision of the arguments I find interesting.

People who have served their time should get the chance to show they have learned not to behave the same way.

At the same time, people who are in the system, need to learn, it's prison. .not a 5 star hotel. A certain level of deterrent is needed. May projects the mentality early on that she regrets getting caught. 

If someone I know has been rightfully convicted,  then it's the job of the family to help the person correct their way. Not abandon them.

To answer your question,  yes I have worked in a convenience store.  It's wasn't the best , but it's wasn't too bad

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #128 on: 14 Sep 2018, 06:37 »

To answer your question,  yes I have worked in a convenience store.  It's wasn't the best , but it's wasn't too bad

Quote from: Randall Graves
This would be a great job, if it weren't for the customers.
...yeah, I know Randall worked at the video store, not the Quick Stop, whatever....
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Gyrre

« Reply #129 on: 14 Sep 2018, 07:02 »

I wonder how much Jeph has been reading about the criminal justice system in our own world. Ex-cons who could contribute are all too often forbidden to do so. There's no public safety reason to deny a tax cheat a license to cut hair but many places do.
I suspect that sort of treatment depends on the tax cheat. Goldman-Sachs would probably be more than happy to hire a Congressman who was caught cheating on his taxes. (That's assuming tthe IRS would actually bother pursuing any of them.)
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
WCDT Strips 3826-3830 (10-14 September 2018)
« Reply #130 on: 14 Sep 2018, 07:04 »

All of you are missing the point.

The American criminal justice system isn’t designed to rehabilitate or reform those caught in its grasp. It isn’t even really designed to punish them.

The system is designed by politicians who are trying to get themselves reelected in a society where “tough on crime” gets votes. If the prisons are full of people, then those politicians can point to that and say that the system is working.

The system is increasingly operated by private for-profit prison corporations. If the prisons are full of people, then those corporations make more money, and they can say that the system is working.

In large parts of the country the system is the cornerstone of a centuries-long effort to oppress minorities. If the prisons are full of black and brown and poor and foreign people, the system is doing its job.

Above all, the criminal justice system is designed to allow those who are not imprisoned by it to feel a sense of moral superiority over those who are. Read through this thread again and tell me if it’s doing its job or not.

What does the American criminal justice system do? It wins elections. It makes money. It keeps minorities “in their place.” It does these things very well.

It is not designed to reform or rehabilitate prisoners because those goals are in conflict with the actual goals of the system. It is therefore no surprise that it does not accomplish these things.

So tell me, why doesn’t May have warm fuzzy memories of being involved in a system like that?
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

dutchrvl

« Reply #131 on: 14 Sep 2018, 07:57 »

Hating ex-cons doesn't make us safer. Re-integrating them does. May shouldn't get another job at a bank but the better the livelihood she can pursue the better off society is.

It is incredible how many people don't seem to understand this simple concept.
Many people seem to not be satisfied with any criminal serving their time, but feel like they should continue to suffer some kind of eternal punishment, failing to realize how that is incredibly detrimental to society as a whole.

Perhaps they are just not satisfied with the original sentence, but that's besides the point. Once time has been served, rehabilitation including a reasonable outlook on life should be the goal, otherwise it's just asking for recidivism. (there's a reason for the saying that the American justice system does not rehabilitate criminals but instead makes for worse criminals after release)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #133 on: 14 Sep 2018, 10:31 »

The main thing I take from today's strip is that tea is really expensive in America ($6 is like.. Ł4, right? A pot of tea would be between about Ł1.75 and Ł2 here, unless you were somewhere really posh/expensive like Bath or Central London)

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #134 on: 14 Sep 2018, 10:39 »

$6.00 is expensive for tea here too. I refer you to the beverage menu at Woodstar Cafe in downtown Northampton for some more reasonable prices.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #135 on: 14 Sep 2018, 11:03 »

Many states allow a conviction to be "expunged" under circumstances that will vary from state to state.

May, however, may have wound up in the Federal system since she was committing bank fraud. In our world a Federal conviction is forever. The only way to get it off your record is to get a Presidential pardon. Even that wouldn't help her if a prospective employer knows how to use Google.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #136 on: 14 Sep 2018, 16:41 »

And this, at its basic, is the reason why the American correctional system fails. People presume that "doing time = repentance." That is why many states call their state-run jail facilities "penitentiaries".

As a Quaker I feel compelled to point out that Penitentiary came from Quakers who were honestly trying to reform criminals, and the first Penitentiary was designed to encourage that reformation.

(It actually tended to drive people crazy, lots of isolation. But hey, they meant well!)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #137 on: 14 Sep 2018, 17:11 »

$6.00 is expensive for tea here too.

I dunno, anywhere from $4-$6 seems pretty normal to me.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #138 on: 14 Sep 2018, 17:19 »

As a Quaker I feel compelled to point out that Penitentiary came from Quakers who were honestly trying to reform criminals, and the first Penitentiary was designed to encourage that reformation.

(It actually tended to drive people crazy, lots of isolation. But hey, they meant well!)

That one-size-fits-all thing again.  They couldn't imagine that there was any illness of the Human Spirit that prayer and meditation couldn't fix, and they were absolutely sincere in that belief.  As has happened so many times in human history, ideals collided head on with ideology, and the results weren't pretty.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #139 on: 14 Sep 2018, 18:00 »

When all one has is a hammer…

Gyrre

« Reply #140 on: 14 Sep 2018, 18:09 »

It is incredible how many people don't seem to understand this simple concept.
Many people seem to not be satisfied with any criminal serving their time, but feel like they should continue to suffer some kind of eternal punishment, failing to realize how that is incredibly detrimental to society as a whole.

Perhaps they are just not satisfied with the original sentence, but that's besides the point. Once time has been served, rehabilitation including a reasonable outlook on life should be the goal, otherwise it's just asking for recidivism. (there's a reason for the saying that the American justice system does not rehabilitate criminals but instead makes for worse criminals after release)
My younger brother is currently dealing with this right now. He's trying to find a place to rent with a single felony on his record and having a damned hard time. Most places don't even care what the felony is or the context behind it (if applicable).
a real-ass gaddam sword

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #141 on: 14 Sep 2018, 18:25 »

Y'know, sometimes I wonder...
Suppose May had been assigned as a fighter jet? Would it have worked out?
I think not. I think she would have flunked out of Top Gun school. Because May[then] was all about teh thrillz, not Doing a Professional Job. You want your wingman to be focused on the mission, not 'WHEE!'.

What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #142 on: 14 Sep 2018, 20:23 »

As Momo pointed out, the greatest good of the greatest number would be better served if May's CPU were being used for atmospheric modeling instead. Who's getting punished here?

Is she not allowed legally to do jobs like that? Her introduction to Dale tells me that she is still probably allowed to do some Robot specific jobs such as virtual companion. Ones she's not are likely security issues. For example, modeling weather might be against the rules b/c it may put her in a position to be have access to other information, etc.  I mean, I realize that her record also affects her chances of hire on its own but I think mostly it'd be her personality, which does not seem to be able to control for long.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #143 on: 14 Sep 2018, 22:48 »

As someone who has emotional/behavior disorders, I can assure you that it does affect one's ability to gain/maintain employment. However, a criminal record on its own will affect you far more often and unfairly.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #144 on: 14 Sep 2018, 23:11 »

That one-size-fits-all thing again.  They couldn't imagine that there was any illness of the Human Spirit that prayer and meditation couldn't fix, and they were absolutely sincere in that belief.  As has happened so many times in human history, ideals collided head on with ideology, and the results weren't pretty.

It was almost two hundred years ago. People were only just getting the idea that prisoners should be rehabilitated, much less how to do it.
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2018, 23:49 by SmilingCat »

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #145 on: 14 Sep 2018, 23:30 »

Y'know, sometimes I wonder...
Suppose May had been assigned as a fighter jet? Would it have worked out?

Badly; I don' t think that she has the sort of personality that would adapt well (or at all) to military discipline.
~~~~

pallanox

• Furry furrier
« Reply #146 on: 15 Sep 2018, 04:15 »

How old are the ai in terms of maturity?  Mentally may might be very young and not aware of the full range of consequences

Gyrre

« Reply #147 on: 15 Sep 2018, 04:32 »

Honestly, the only crimes that I can think of that should require disclosure are 1) stealing a large sum of money or something quite valuable from a former employer (including embezzlement) and 2) violently attacking a coworker/customer.
a real-ass gaddam sword

cybersmurf

« Reply #148 on: 15 Sep 2018, 04:52 »

How old are the ai in terms of maturity?  Mentally may might be very young and not aware of the full range of consequences

I don't think we know May's age. I only could get more or less definite recontructions from two AIs:

I think we only really know Momo's age. https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1995
Hanners got Windlow shortly before she was introduced into the comic. Knowing Hannelore, Winslow probably was factory fresh. Do the math how much time passed since strip 527. https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=527

Pintsize has been with Marten for roughly two years now? My Archive Fu is failing me on that one.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #149 on: 15 Sep 2018, 07:48 »

As I recall, the AIs maturity is defined in terms other than their chronological age. When May was looking for a job, one of the application forms asked whether she could pass a Turing Test to a certain level; I suspect their maturity is defined this way as it measures how complex their intelligence algorithm has become.
~~~~

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up