THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 02:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 12-16 November 2018 (3871-3875)  (Read 26907 times)

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: WCDT 12-16 November 2018 (3871-3875)
« Reply #101 on: 15 Nov 2018, 19:01 »

COMIC

and Jeph has decided to reference the current Wondermark series oh god

Anyway, there's step #8, ordeal. It's all up from here.

p.s. banana latte sounds awful
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #102 on: 15 Nov 2018, 21:38 »

I've never been drug tested at work. Maybe they assumed that anyone with really interesting security clearances, and who were used to safety critical work where if you screw up, people may die, perhaps thousands of people, would be so risk averse as a matter of culture they'd be careful about any psychogenic materials, legal or not.

I have been breathalysed a dozen times or more, because we have RBT - random breath testing. Police set up a checkpoint, and pull over vehicles at random.

Personally, because I have an unusual metabolism, with non standard neurotransmitters, it's wise to play it safe. I have a strong allergy to the plant cannabis sativa, meaning dope smoke acts like tear gas on me, and I get sneezing fits if I enter a room where grass has been smoked in the last few days.

I have a high tolerance for Pethidine (Demorol), Fentanyl appears to have no effect, Morphine hyper effect, BP and heart rate crashed with a 'test to see if safe' dose, Codeine phosphate normal.

The things you learn when being taken to resusc in an intensive care ambulance. Apparently I have ridiculously large numbers of Kappa receptors, but little in the way of Mu or Delta ones.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that one should be prudent about the use of psychoactive chemicals. Humans vary in their responses. A dose that is safe for 99% of the population might be very unsafe for some of the other 1%. Best is to try microdoses first under medical supervision, or, if known to have anomalous responses like me , steer clear unless necessary.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #103 on: 15 Nov 2018, 22:27 »

I'm just going to put it out there that I've never had a single encounter with Mary Jane.

Judge away.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #104 on: 15 Nov 2018, 23:22 »

The entire first chunk of this strip tells its own, fascinating micro-plot which is this: Marten and Dora are very much over their break-up. Not exactly startling news, I suspect that it was at least a year ago in-comic time. However, it's good to see them so relaxed and able to communicate with each other without awkwardness. Heck, in panel 2, Dora even felt able to use a pet-name!

I'm still trying to work out when the other shoe will drop with Claire, Tai and Claire's mother. I suspect that Marten and Dora will need to come and collect their respective girlfriends on the grounds that they are not fit to walk anywhere unaccompanied. They may also need Faye and Bubbles to help them push the wheelbarrows they'll need to carry the unwary stoners!

I've got a feeling that Dora and Marten may find it a bit hard to handle a pair of 'snuggly' girls who doubtless want to them them what wonderful SOs they are! Doing stuff is harder when you have someone who absolutely will not release their hug attached to you! :wink:
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

chason

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #105 on: 15 Nov 2018, 23:27 »

I'm just going to put it out there that I've never had a single encounter with Mary Jane.

Judge away.

I'm still not sure why you're convinced that others are judging people for not partaking on this forum. I've seen no evidence of any such judging.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #106 on: 15 Nov 2018, 23:36 »

Who said I was convinced? As you say, there's no evidence for it.

I was just being a bit over-defensive. I suspected there might be someone out there.

Drunken Old Man

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #107 on: 15 Nov 2018, 23:53 »

Judge away.
Likewise, and given my hippie-like attitude and appearance, people always assume that I DO partake.  I've had it passed to me and immediately kept it  moving.

I feel no judgement here though... merely idle curiosity.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #108 on: 16 Nov 2018, 00:43 »

Judge away.

Expecting to be judged for an insignificant fact is pretty judgemental.  :-P

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #109 on: 16 Nov 2018, 00:47 »

Do you think so? What makes you say that?

If I told you that I was more worried it would appear insecure, would you think *that* was judgement?

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #110 on: 16 Nov 2018, 00:47 »

That last hit was a...

(wait for it...)

HEADSHOT!!!
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #111 on: 16 Nov 2018, 00:53 »

Do you think so? What makes you say that?

Mostly a sense of humorous symmetry. Though I would argue that expecting people to judge you for something insignificant is at least adjacent to assuming that they are the kind of people who would judge you for something insignificant. Can't expect someone to do something jerkish without assuming they're at least a little jerkish.

Honestly, I didn't mean anything too terribly deep by it. I'm probably just feeling introspective. Also, you did ask us to judge away.  :-D

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #112 on: 16 Nov 2018, 00:56 »

LOL fair enough.  :mrgreen:

Anyway, let's get back to the comic. Random observation: that is rather long hair, and a quite dapper hat, in panel one.

I'm still kind of hoping she'll be fine for the exam.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #113 on: 16 Nov 2018, 01:15 »

Anyway, let's get back to the comic. Random observation: that is rather long hair, and a quite dapper hat, in panel one.

The style of those two background characters is subtly different; I'm hoping that Jeph is going to confirm that they are either a friend's OCs, based on friends or based on women he saw at a convention at some point.
~~~~

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #114 on: 16 Nov 2018, 01:35 »

Yes, the one with the long hair might be an elf, imo...

(also: I just learned the word "dapper". At last, I know what George Clooney's hair grease brand "Dapper Dan" in "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" means)

rork310

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #115 on: 16 Nov 2018, 01:41 »

Actually I can answer this one. The characters in the background are JJ and Emily from "The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the island of memories" a game by Swery. The guy behind Deadly Premonition and D4.

https://assets1.ignimgs.com/2018/10/18/themissing-thumb-1539835241345_1280w.jpg for a picture of JJ and Emily.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #116 on: 16 Nov 2018, 05:38 »

COMIC

O God indeed! I can understand it, though. If you produce a comic strip and you've seen that sick elephant line as many times as Wondermark readers have, maybe the impulse to regurgitate it is irresistible.

dutchrvl

« Reply #117 on: 16 Nov 2018, 06:18 »

Judge away.

I'm still not sure why you're convinced that others are judging people for not partaking on this forum. I've seen no evidence of any such judging.

Me neither, no judging whatsoever. I do however, sometimes feel like MJ use here is somewhat....exalted? glorified? (not sure which word is better)
Probably not the case and just my own odd interpretation though  :-\

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #118 on: 16 Nov 2018, 07:06 »

Here specifically as in this forum? Because that's surprising to me (and yes, me, from earlier in the thread) and possibly something the mods would need to chat about.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #119 on: 16 Nov 2018, 08:17 »

I wouldn't say it was exalted or glorified, but rather its more socially acceptable to talk about, even compared to a few years ago.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #120 on: 16 Nov 2018, 08:41 »

Bear in mind that the comic author lives in a place where cannabis use is legal, and it is legal in various states of the US, also in at least one European country represented here.  Any international forum is going to meet issues over which different members will have differing views and be subject to different laws.  This forum prefers to allow the union of the possibilities to be discussed, rather than restricting discussion to the intersection of the possibilities (or worse, tying it to one jurisdiction) which would amount to censorship.  Of course, this also requires the users of the forum to be aware of this, and to be prepared to learn about and tolerate local differences without inappropriate judgement.  The option to step away from a particular discussion is always there, and doing that is not a reason for anyone to be judged in turn.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #121 on: 16 Nov 2018, 08:58 »

I can't say much. I live across the street from a Dispensary. (Medical use only, of course.)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #122 on: 16 Nov 2018, 09:03 »

Thank you, PWHodges.  Ever the voice of reason. 

I'd also like to point out that everything I've mentioned in here is based on a combination of knowledge gained through curiosity over many years, and rather heavy use in my now-distant youth.  It's been about 30 years since I've had a toke, and for good reasons. 

(mostly having to do with the memory effects and the fact that I have a bad one to begin with.  Losing whole chunks of one's life was not an enjoyable side effect)
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #123 on: 16 Nov 2018, 11:12 »

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that one should be prudent about the use of psychoactive chemicals. Humans vary in their responses. A dose that is safe for 99% of the population might be very unsafe for some of the other 1%. Best is to try microdoses first under medical supervision, or, if known to have anomalous responses like me , steer clear unless necessary.

Words of wisdom from the Science Fairy.

JohnTheWysard

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #124 on: 16 Nov 2018, 14:34 »

"The number you have reached is an imaginary number. Please hang up, rotate your phone 90 degrees clockwise, and try again."

"Why clockwise?"
"If you go the other way you'll get negative results."
"And why exactly 90 degrees?"
"Well... otherwise things get complex."

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #125 on: 16 Nov 2018, 16:43 »

"The number you have reached is an imaginary number. Please hang up, rotate your phone 90 degrees clockwise, and try again."

"Why clockwise?"

Let's keep it Real, OK?
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #126 on: 16 Nov 2018, 17:49 »

Judge away.

I spent much of my twenties in a sincere, committed relationship with Ms Jane.

'Tis okay, Tova.
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
  • Speaker-to- ... um... hm.
« Reply #127 on: 16 Nov 2018, 22:54 »

ED IS THE TRUE PATH TO NIRVANA!  ED HAS BEEN THE CHOICE OF EDUCATED AND IGNORANT ALIKE FOR CENTURIES!  ED WILL NOT CORRUPT YOUR PRECIOUS BODILY FLUIDS!!  ED IS THE STANDARD TEXT EDITOR!  ED MAKES THE SUN SHINE AND THE BIRDS SING AND THE GRASS GREEN!!
?
Editor wars... Don't make eye-contact, and just keep walking.
Oh, I know. I used to use ed (and later, the improved version, ex).

An unadorned "?" was ed's standard (and only) error message, hence my "comment".

The Unix philosophy: "If you don't know what mistake you made, you shouldn't be using ed. Oh heck, you probably shouldn't even be using Unix."
:D
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2018, 15:50 by Sullivan »

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #128 on: 17 Nov 2018, 07:18 »

One last comment on the drug testing debate: CDL drivers are actually mandated to have drug tests done annually.
I've had my CDL since July/August 2017 and only been tested twice: onc as part of the DoT physical exam preparatory to getting my license, and once within a couple of hours after I ran the bus off the road into a ditch (not why I don't drive the bus now BTW.) Drivers for the company I worked for are subject to random testing, but my number never came up.
stePH
--

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #129 on: 17 Nov 2018, 08:04 »

Yeah, have an accident with a CDL and expect to pee in a cup very shortly thereafter.

If you're in one piece and survive, that is.
Just another Joe like 46

Baphomet

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #130 on: 17 Nov 2018, 09:46 »

COMIC

O God indeed! I can understand it, though. If you produce a comic strip and you've seen that sick elephant line as many times as Wondermark readers have, maybe the impulse to regurgitate it is irresistible.
I'm certainly approaching the point where my impulse to regurgitate when I read that line is irresistible. I kept expecting that it would eventually circle around to being funny again after enough repetition, but (at least as far as I'm concerned) it still feels like it's been going approximately 14 billion years too long. I liked Wondermark, dammit!

Johkmil

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #131 on: 17 Nov 2018, 12:35 »

Cannabis storylines in various media are always a mixed bag for me, as I was relatively close to one who was that 1%. Full-blown psychosis, in and out of institutions -- the whole nine yards. It isn't ever going away. What makes it insidious to me is that his brother was totally fine after spending a few years as a full-time stoner, part-time bowling alley receptionist until his band took off. It's so difficult to judge ahead of time -- your brother's been smoking for years, surely you won't react badly?

Yet, how else were we going to see Mayor Cookiemoose?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #132 on: 17 Nov 2018, 17:50 »

Welcome, new person!

The real question is whether he's a chocolate moose.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #133 on: 17 Nov 2018, 18:41 »

ED IS THE TRUE PATH TO NIRVANA!  ED HAS BEEN THE CHOICE OF EDUCATED AND IGNORANT ALIKE FOR CENTURIES!  ED WILL NOT CORRUPT YOUR PRECIOUS BODILY FLUIDS!!  ED IS THE STANDARD TEXT EDITOR!  ED MAKES THE SUN SHINE AND THE BIRDS SING AND THE GRASS GREEN!!
?
Editor wars... Don't make eye-contact, and just keep walking.
Oh, I know. I used to use ed (and later, the improved version, ex).

An unadorned "?" was ed's standard (and only) error message, hence my "comment".

The Unix philosophy: "If you don't know what mistake you made, you shouldn't be using ed. Oh heck, you probably shouldn't even be using Unix."
:D

And even "if you make mistakes, learn to live with the consequences. We don't ask for confirmation and we don't do undo"

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #134 on: 18 Nov 2018, 14:29 »

"Why clockwise?"

Let's keep it Real, OK?

Please be rational.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #135 on: 18 Nov 2018, 14:50 »

"Why clockwise?"

Let's keep it Real, OK?

Please be rational.

It's Thanksgiving.  Why don't we discuss all this over some nice pi?

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #136 on: 18 Nov 2018, 15:21 »

I'll have the raspberry.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #137 on: 18 Nov 2018, 15:50 »

A la mod? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #138 on: 18 Nov 2018, 16:01 »

No, ala mode. You know, the highest frequency, Kenneth.
Just another Joe like 46

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #139 on: 18 Nov 2018, 16:08 »

p.s. banana latte sounds awful

:-P  True

Does the doodle of a cat with a halo mean anything?

GASP! Is Mieville okay?!?
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #140 on: 19 Nov 2018, 01:11 »

Does the doodle of a cat with a halo mean anything?

I'm taking that as Jeph's little homage to our household's recent little tragedy.

:cry:
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Johkmil

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #141 on: 19 Nov 2018, 02:30 »

Welcome, new person!

The real question is whether he's a chocolate moose.

Thank you!
I have been lurking around here for years, but realised that I had postponed making a user several times for fear of the "this guy made an account for this"-effect. I finally stopped caring.

He could be any flavour of moose, really. Especially given the situation. Perhaps his flavoral properties are more closely explored this week?

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #142 on: 19 Nov 2018, 09:00 »

Thank you!
I have been lurking around here for years, but realised that I had postponed making a user several times for fear of the "this guy made an account for this"-effect. I finally stopped caring.
Cookiemoose? You made an account to post about COOKIEMOOSE?

(I'm skidding; Saul Goodman)
stePH
--

Scarfington

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #143 on: 25 Nov 2018, 16:39 »

Hello everyone!

I am really enjoying this arc! From the beginning I knew that the mix of characters would make a fun story. Tai is a super experienced stoner and mostly functional recreational drug user. I like that she has consistently been the voice of reason and experience, and now is the one calling in "an adult" when the situation needs it.

Whatever your opinions on cannabis use, this comic has been a pretty good example of responsible drug use and safe trip practices. I appreciate that a lot!

asteroidswithwings

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #144 on: 26 Nov 2018, 04:26 »

Never mind drugs, what about that blonde in 3875? Will we see more of her in future? :D

Would have tweeted this but Twitter reckons Jeph's blocked me, which is strange as I'm fairly certain I've never had any interaction with him before and certainly can't imagine why I'd be blocked! Ah well. :(

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #145 on: 26 Nov 2018, 04:29 »

Never mind drugs, what about that blonde in 3875? Will we see more of her in future? :D

I doubt it; she and her friend with the hat are another artist's OCs, so he'd need their permission to use them.
~~~~

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #146 on: 26 Nov 2018, 05:05 »

Would have tweeted this but Twitter reckons Jeph's blocked me, which is strange as I'm fairly certain I've never had any interaction with him before and certainly can't imagine why I'd be blocked! Ah well. :(

There's some Twitter blocklists going around, and some of them have inaccurate blocks. (I know of a popular anti-GamerGate list that a TERF got control of and started blocking lots of trans people, for instance.) Could be that Jeph is using such a list.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #147 on: 26 Nov 2018, 10:08 »

Welcome, new person!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up