THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What odd things will Roko find out about her new body?

There are pre-made holes for piercings.
- 2 (4.7%)
The fart.app is now a feature, not an option.
- 3 (7%)
Her old clothes don't quite fit.
- 11 (25.6%)
Sense of smell heightened to where she can smell pumpernickel from a mile away.
- 16 (37.2%)
Every so often, she wants waffles with spathe ham.
- 3 (7%)
Something completely different (but funny).
- 8 (18.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 14-18 January 2019 (3916-3920)  (Read 30613 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
WCDT 14-18 January 2019 (3916-3920)
« on: 13 Jan 2019, 08:20 »

New week, new poll - and a new body for Roko!
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: WCDT 14-18 January 2019 (3916-3920)
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2019, 12:17 »

My guess is that the sensory net, although objectively only slightly improved, from a subjective experience is almost amazingly more acute. So, the first time Roko walks into The Secret Bakery, she faints or maybe just the smell of baking bread on Elliott is similarly intense to her now as holding a fresh-banked loaf was before the accident.

She's just going to have to acclimatise. Until then though, sensory overload white-outs may be an issue!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2019, 16:10 »

It's canon; some 'bots gots junk.  Roko's in for a wild ride getting used to this new...ah...configuration.

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2019, 19:43 »

Panel 3 reeeeeealllly got to me on this one. It just made me think on how a certain race of people in my country(USA) thinks nothing of patting, touching, grabbing, stroking the hair of another certain race's(*cough* mine*cough*) hair completely without asking, warning....

and then look at US crazy when we tell them "no" or smack their hands away. ARRRGGGHHHH...inappropriate touching is inappropriate touching. ALWAYS.

*cracks neck and knuckles*

*exhale*....../siiiiiiiiiigh

Apologies. I know there's bigger things at play here than Faye should've asked first before touching Roko's new bod. Ignore me as I return to silently lurk and grumble in the background.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2019, 19:52 »

I don't think its unreasonable to say that Faye shouldn't have been patting Roko.

What she did do was highlight every fear and concern Roko had about gaining a new body. At a time when Roko would still be quite emotionally fragile.

So yes, Ms. Whitaker continues her streak of opening her mouth and inserting her foot.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2019, 19:57 »

It wasn't as objectifying as Clinton checking out Momo's chassis but it was still a consent issue. Letting Roko finish her sentence would also have been in order.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

A small perverse otter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2019, 20:18 »

It wasn't as objectifying as Clinton checking out Momo's chassis but it was still a consent issue. Letting Roko finish her sentence would also have been in order.
This.  Roko had clearly not given consent, and was clearly taken aback by Faye's behavior.

What Faye did here is just all sorts of wrong.
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2019, 20:55 »

Yup... Looks like it's time for Bubs to sit Faye down for a talk about consent in regards to AIs. Way past time really.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2019, 20:56 »

Maybe Bubs should ask Momo to do it.  She has a way of disabusing people of the notion that they can just touch her.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2019, 21:37 »

Welp, after last week's kerfuffle, I'm just going to say that Faye means well and leave everyone else to it.

There will probably be less controversy this time, though. Bubbles has reacted for us all.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Greymoon

• Plantmonster
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2019, 23:10 »

Well, Faye, as usual, has zero chill. Damn, woman, I can't wait till Bubs hits you with that clue-by-four.
DO NOT TAINT PEGASUS COVE WITH TALK OF DILDOS

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2019, 23:21 »

Now we do get into one of Faye's behavioural flaws, which is her issues with not personifying AIs' chassis. I think the problem is that, because she's learned so much about how they are constructed and work, she has difficulty seeing them as someone's body as opposed to a really, really sophisticated domestic appliance. As we see, this is a real problem if she's manhandling someone who is already having body image issues. I wonder if surgeons have the same problem IRL?

I do like the point Jeph makes in the footer text. This isn't malicious. Faye was genuinely trying to be helpful by being positive and upbeat. The problem is that she chose just the wrong tack and may have actually intensified Roko's problems.

That aside, I really want to know what Roko was going to say in panel 3. Probably 'I'm not really sure I like having human ears'. It's a bizarre thing to say on the face of it but it seems to fit how she's reacting right now.

Finally, seeing Melon and Lemon together is a nice moment. I can't help but imagine that the two of them are actually very similar in behaviour. Additionally, am I the only one that shuddered at the thought of 'playing' with a nuclear reactor control system, even an intelligent one?
~~~~

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #12 on: 14 Jan 2019, 00:31 »

I suppose Roko’s clothes not fitting is possible, but lacks the comedic potential of enhanced smelling.  She never struck me as a someone who cared much for her wardrobe so she probably wouldn’t have much to replace anyway.

TRenn

• Plantmonster
« Reply #13 on: 14 Jan 2019, 00:39 »

Finally, seeing Melon and Lemon together is a nice moment. I can't help but imagine that the two of them are actually very similar in behaviour. Additionally, am I the only one that shuddered at the thought of 'playing' with a nuclear reactor control system, even an intelligent one?

Especially an intelligent one. :-o

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #14 on: 14 Jan 2019, 00:52 »

Not really; I imagine they're coming close to Station, and that they can just let the power plant run on an autonomous subsystem, so they can play and party without any real risk to anyone.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Drunken Old Man

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #15 on: 14 Jan 2019, 01:11 »

Maybe Bubs should ask Momo to do it.  She has a way of disabusing people of the notion that they can just touch her.
Since Momo's usually method of said disabusing is to administer a painful electric shock, I'm not sure that that's a very good....

Never mind. >:)

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #16 on: 14 Jan 2019, 01:11 »

Ok, until now, I found Faye pretty likable, even if she was often really oblivious of other people's feelings and hurted them sometimes. But here, it really goes too far. You can't talk to a robot-lady, obviously considering she's a person, and then grope her like cattle. At that point, one could even consider she's putting here relation with Bubbles at risk.
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #17 on: 14 Jan 2019, 01:16 »

It's worth noting the footnote on today's comic is "She thinks she's helping"

My guess is that Faye is (VERY clumsily) attempting to do what one might do with a fellow human uncomfortable with a new look, and give enthusiastic praise and support of the change in an effort to instill confidence and make the person feel better. I've been told quite a few times in my life something along the lines of "[person] isn't really sure about how her haircut turned out and she feels kind of self-conscious about it, so be sure to tell her how good it looks"

Unfortunately, it's obviously a MUCH larger scale of things to be in Roko's situation, so Faye's approach is definitely blunt and cloddish. But then, when have her social graces been anything but?

EDIT: A day later and I only JUST noticed the formatting of this post was wonky.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2019, 20:21 by neurocase »

Fhqwhgads

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #18 on: 14 Jan 2019, 01:35 »

Panel 3 reeeeeealllly got to me on this one. It just made me think on how a certain race of people in my country(USA) thinks nothing of patting, touching, grabbing, stroking the hair of another certain race's(*cough* mine*cough*) hair completely without asking, warning....

and then look at US crazy when we tell them "no" or smack their hands away. ARRRGGGHHHH...inappropriate touching is inappropriate touching. ALWAYS.

Apologies. I know there's bigger things at play here than Faye should've asked first before touching Roko's new bod. Ignore me as I return to silently lurk and grumble in the background.

Oh. Man. WITNESS. I'm a white dude and my niece is mixed and oh man does she hate this. why would anybody think that's a good idea.

Fellow wonderbreads, protip: NEVER NEVER ask if you can touch their hair. You can't. AND FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T JUST DO IT.

Just, just no

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #19 on: 14 Jan 2019, 01:50 »

It's what we call the 'my living Barbie Doll' behaviour over on the Dumbing of Age comments threads. Basically (and this is especially a problem if the petter is much older than the pettee), I think that the problem is that some part of the mind just thinks 'pretty baby doll; want to touch!' and there is just no consideration of the other person's agency. Usually, it's symptomatic of a culture and/or upbringing where the rights of the individual are considered to be less important than the whims of authority figures such as parents and other older people.
~~~~

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jan 2019, 02:06 »

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYE!

:facepalm:
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2019, 02:29 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Annemoon

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #21 on: 14 Jan 2019, 05:43 »

Oh. Man. WITNESS. I'm a white dude and my niece is mixed and oh man does she hate this. why would anybody think that's a good idea.

Fellow wonderbreads, protip: NEVER NEVER ask if you can touch their hair. You can't. AND FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T JUST DO IT.

My personal hair touch impulse comes in with freshly trimmed millimetre length hair (sooo soft!)
But in my experience you *can* ask if
1. You are good friends with this person, and comfortable with general touching already
2. You ask with clear and accepted option of saying no.
3. You know this person has no specific history of suffering from hair touching
"science fairy" - cybersmurf

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #22 on: 14 Jan 2019, 06:27 »

Just, just no

I don't know why this is a thing. I mean maybe its because I grew up in a diverse area and so I wasn't exposed to this but I have always been taught you don't touch a person unless they invite you to. It was quite alien to me when I saw an episode of Family Guy where Cleveland moved in and they asked to pet his hair. Some years later I saw a youtube video about an interracial relationship where the girl whispers to the camera (the proxy boyfriend) that he can touch her hair but no one else in his family/friends can nor should they ask. I was sitting there watching this thinking "Is that a thing people really ask/do?"

I don't know. I just don't get it.  :psyduck:

On topic: Faye really rubs me wrong on this. It seemed similar to when she was tossing Momo or trying to take a peak up her skirt when she was in her chibi body. It feels more like Faye is looking upon Anthros like they are hardware and not a person. Which is weird because she does talk to Anthros like they are people and even worries a bit (I mean look at her relationship with Bubbles from start to now). I can see this disconnect causing some friction with her and Bubbs later, if not with some Anthro friends.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #23 on: 14 Jan 2019, 06:52 »

On topic: Faye really rubs me wrong on this. It seemed similar to when she was tossing Momo or trying to take a peak up her skirt when she was in her chibi body. It feels more like Faye is looking upon Anthros like they are hardware and not a person. Which is weird because she does talk to Anthros like they are people and even worries a bit (I mean look at her relationship with Bubbles from start to now). I can see this disconnect causing some friction with her and Bubbs later, if not with some Anthro friends.
In this instance I think she is really trying to be supportive and reassuring, she's just awkward and has no understanding of respectful social interaction, as per usual. Plus I think she's really nervous and emotionally upset by the situation and is way overcompensating. While she does have a long history of depersonalising AI people and this is similarly very poor behavior, in this case it's not coming from a mindset of disrespect.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #24 on: 14 Jan 2019, 06:57 »

Poor Roko.

Cut Faye a BIT of slack, too. She did kinda see Roko pancacked so her relief at that is understandable...

Lear

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #25 on: 14 Jan 2019, 07:13 »

Just, just no
But that's just generalisation, too. When I first met my black wife, she would not take her wig off, like, ever. She thought her natural hair was disgusting, and everyone would hate her if they saw it. At that point in time, I'm pretty sure she would have freaked out if someone touched her. (mostly because they took her wig off).
IIRC the transistion began when she watched a German video where a white blonde used curlers to get very finly curled hair. She just couldn't understand why anyone would do that to themself - she had such nice, straight hair, why ruin it? How could curly hair be considered beautiful?  :? It did not fit her worldview...
When she came to live with me in Austria, I told her she does not need a wig. Having people ask to touch it and admire it did a lot, as it helped her understand that, quite genuinly, her hair is beautiful and nobody hated it. People even told her they would like to have it. It's still a pain to treat it, but by now she only wears wigs as a fashion item, not to hide her hair. And she never complained about anyone wanting to touch her natural hair here.

So my take on it: Appearently young black girls get peer-pressured into thinking their natural, curly hair is ugly, and from there, they either hide it or use products on it. They are ashamed of their hair in it's natural state, and to me, that explains why they would not want anyone to touch it. I might be completely wrong - but as a guy with long hair who had people ask to touch my hair, I wouldn't know what's wrong with that. (Then again, "Your tits look amazing, can I touch them?" is surprisingly similar...)

Netherdan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #26 on: 14 Jan 2019, 07:32 »

The touching without consent is an issue, sure, but there's a bigger issue here and that's everyone is constantly reminding her that she was really integrated to her body that got crushed and it's making her feel like an alien in her new body and generally making her acceptance of it worse with every new interaction of people comenting it.
Should people stop at the "I'm so glad you're okay" it could make her integration go faster than reminding her of said body crushing

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #27 on: 14 Jan 2019, 08:50 »

<snip1>I don't know why this is a thing. I mean maybe its because I grew up in a diverse area and so I wasn't exposed to this but I have always been taught you don't touch a person unless they invite you to.</snip1>

<snip2> It feels more like Faye is looking upon Anthros like they are hardware and not a person. Which is weird because she does talk to Anthros like they are people and even worries a bit (I mean look at her relationship with Bubbles from start to now). I can see this disconnect causing some friction with her and Bubbs later, if not with some Anthro friends. <snip2>

Snip1 response: The problem is not strictly interracial and can absolutely come up with transplants from even just another city 30 minutes away. I had a friend who grew up in a city 30 minutes south of the town in which I live. The friend moved north for college, and stayed. I was attending a party at her place after graduation, and she came up behind me silently and started separating my hair for braiding with absolutely zero asking or conversation beforehand. I had grabbed her wrist and dropped to the floor about to throw her over my shoulder onto the ground out of reflex. I have since fallen out with her for reasons unrelated to this story.

Snip2: The problem here, in my opinion, is more Faye doesn't quite grasp 'bodily integration' the way it's being used here.  her primary AI interaction in her life has been PINTSIZE. He's chassis-swapped once with ZERO angst after a total parts failure. Momo and Winslow are secondary AI interactions in her life, and they ASKED for their chassis swaps, and considered them upgrades. Winslow's technically swapped three times!

Roko has been put into chassis with better stats on after a total parts failure, and her 'bodily integration' MUST mean that all those improvements are even BETTER because, being tightly integrated, Roko MUST be super aware of how much better she can feel everything, right?

On the other hand... Faye's a bright girl. She should have put this together after seeing Roko freaking faint from seeing her own detached foot.
Just going through life.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #28 on: 14 Jan 2019, 09:32 »

Snip1 response: The problem is not strictly interracial and can absolutely come up with transplants from even just another city 30 minutes away. I had a friend who grew up in a city 30 minutes south of the town in which I live. The friend moved north for college, and stayed. I was attending a party at her place after graduation, and she came up behind me silently and started separating my hair for braiding with absolutely zero asking or conversation beforehand. I had grabbed her wrist and dropped to the floor about to throw her over my shoulder onto the ground out of reflex. I have since fallen out with her for reasons unrelated to this story.
You see I still just don't get it. Why is someone just walking up to you and touching your hair. It just boggles my mind that someone would just do that. Its like seeing someone in a grocery store open a milk carton and drink it then put it back (At least The Dude" bought his). Who does that? :psyduck: I probably would have done something similar Tyr.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #29 on: 14 Jan 2019, 10:23 »

Maybe it's just me but is it possible that everyone has been missing the obvious here?
Yes Faye snafu'ed on the not asking bit for sure but it may not have been her words that was the instigator of the panic.

When she was still in the white zone, she was stressed, and after the install she was still very anxious but appreciative.

Now here is my take in what may have  happened here.
She displayed some surprise on the emotional hug from Faye but the panic started with the close inspection of her well formed ear.

Remember that it was mentioned this new chassis has an upgraded sensory net and a bit more topological detailing. Nipples and possibly other details?
With more surface sensors that better reflect the sensor map of a human, she may be feeling and responding to things in whole new ways compared to what she was used to.

A close hug, a gentle touch of the ear may be more stimulating than what they were.

We need bagels STAT! ...... What? I'm hungry.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #30 on: 14 Jan 2019, 11:21 »

I am wondering about the display of plants behind them.  Are they also AI body models?  Do AIs want to be plants?

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #31 on: 14 Jan 2019, 11:28 »

Sometimes an AI wants a cactus named Arthur.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #32 on: 14 Jan 2019, 11:31 »

Now we do get into one of Faye's behavioural flaws, which is her issues with not personifying AIs' chassis. I think the problem is that, because she's learned so much about how they are constructed and work, she has difficulty seeing them as someone's body as opposed to a really, really sophisticated domestic appliance. As we see, this is a real problem if she's manhandling someone who is already having body image issues. I wonder if surgeons have the same problem IRL?

I do like the point Jeph makes in the footer text. This isn't malicious. Faye was genuinely trying to be helpful by being positive and upbeat. The problem is that she chose just the wrong tack and may have actually intensified Roko's problems.

That aside, I really want to know what Roko was going to say in panel 3. Probably 'I'm not really sure I like having human ears'. It's a bizarre thing to say on the face of it but it seems to fit how she's reacting right now.

I'd be fascinated to hear from medical people about this question. All I know is an anecdote from "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks". Her autopsy was going on routinely, taking out each part and weighing it and examining it, and then someone caught sight of her painted toenails and suddenly the perception changed from a goblet into two faces. They were faced with the emotional impact of dismembering a deceased human being.

If I'm wheeled in after a heart attack or a car crash, I _want_ to be treated like a piece of machinery until I wake up in the ICU. From then on, I'd want much more respectful interaction than Roko got from Faye.

It occurs to me that whether "May I touch your hair?" is acceptable depends on whether the owner of the hair knows for certain that the asker will obey a "No" instantly and without question. That is not something that can be taken for granted most places.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

SordidEuphemism

• Plantmonster
  • Treguna Mekoides Tracorum Satis Dee
« Reply #33 on: 14 Jan 2019, 11:39 »

I used to work summers at the city morgue. Good pay, decent hours, and I have a strong stomach for what others might consider morbid topics. My job was, functionally, a receptionist. I'd receive the incoming from the city / coroner / etc, confirm data on file, label the gurney, put it in storage, move on to the next. Never really phased me.

I remember the day I quit, vividly.
(click to show/hide)
After an hour or so I managed to make it back in and formally quit. Boss was very chill, said it happened to most eventually. Paid me for the rest of the week.

OldGoat

« Reply #34 on: 14 Jan 2019, 12:07 »

I used to work summers at the city morgue. Good pay, decent hours, and I have a strong stomach for what others might consider morbid topics. My job was, functionally, a receptionist. I'd receive the incoming from the city / coroner / etc, confirm data on file, label the gurney, put it in storage, move on to the next. Never really phased me.

I remember the day I quit, vividly.
(click to show/hide)
After an hour or so I managed to make it back in and formally quit. Boss was very chill, said it happened to most eventually. Paid me for the rest of the week.
I hear ya.
(click to show/hide)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #35 on: 14 Jan 2019, 13:52 »

The touching without consent is an issue, sure, but there's a bigger issue here and that's everyone is constantly reminding her that she was really integrated to her body that got crushed and it's making her feel like an alien in her new body and generally making her acceptance of it worse with every new interaction of people comenting it.
Should people stop at the "I'm so glad you're okay" it could make her integration go faster than reminding her of said body crushing

You blew my fucking mind a little bit here and I feel like all the trans regulars on the forum are going to turn and looked at me disappointedly.

You see I still just don't get it. Why is someone just walking up to you and touching your hair. It just boggles my mind that someone would just do that. Its like seeing someone in a grocery store open a milk carton and drink it then put it back (At least The Dude" bought his). Who does that? :psyduck: I probably would have done something similar Tyr.

Not wanting to 'not all men' this post, but it's not a unique black experience either. I've only got a couple of tattoos, but more tattooed people I know talk about people just touching their tattoos or grabbing their limbs to look closer. And then there's just, you know, being a woman.

In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #36 on: 14 Jan 2019, 14:02 »

... people I know talk about people just touching their tattoos or grabbing their limbs to look closer...

Just...WHY!?

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #37 on: 14 Jan 2019, 15:08 »

Yeah, this strip hit a bit hard for me. I got my first mostly visible tattoo almost ten years ago and have got more since and strangers have grabbed my arms more times than I can remember. This happens to me mainly at work in a shop and it can be dodgy telling customers to not touch me, because they think I'm being rude and that can get me in trouble. One man was pissed at me for telling him it's inappropriate to grab people and pull up their sleeves. He said he wanted to see how high up my tattoo went.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #38 on: 14 Jan 2019, 17:10 »

Have I mentioned what a great job Jeph has been doing with the facial expressions lately?
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Netherdan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #39 on: 14 Jan 2019, 17:55 »

You blew my fucking mind a little bit here and I feel like all the trans regulars on the forum are going to turn and looked at me disappointedly.

They could even go a bit further and compliment with a "you look awesome" instead of a "your new body looks awesome", but let's hope Bubbles shove that knowledge into Faye and anyone else ignorant to Roko's feelings at the moment. I really want to see her reaction to someone acknowledging that this is she and now just "her new body"

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #40 on: 14 Jan 2019, 18:14 »

How is grabbing somebody anything other than assault? Anyone does that to me, I'll be in fight or flight mode on my next heartbeat.

I've been impressed with how Jeph does facial expressions for many years.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #41 on: 14 Jan 2019, 18:25 »

The two main points here is that Faye inappropriately invaded Roko's personal space and at the same time highlighted (and possibly reinforced) Roko's fears and concerns about integrating into a new body.

Faye, of all people, should be the one who wouldn't start pawing at someone without asking. After all, her usual response was to punch the offender in the face. So it just seems...wrong...that she would be the one doing it to someone else.

Likewise, as someone who has woken up in hospital on two occasions (her car crash after her father's death and her alcohol poisoning incident), she should be aware of how fragile someone would be after that kind of accident. And I don't mean physically, I mean mentally and emotionally. And from the look of it, she's run roughshod over Roko's emotional state.
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2019, 07:57 by Castlerook »

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #42 on: 14 Jan 2019, 20:46 »

Honestly, Faye is getting off easy. I’d expect a more in-detail lecture from Bubs.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #43 on: 14 Jan 2019, 20:48 »

That'll happen later. Right now there are too many witnesses.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #44 on: 14 Jan 2019, 21:16 »

I wonder iif the increased hearing sensitivity could be causing Roko's general discomfort. Now having an antihelix, antihelix fold, antitragus, tragus, external auditory meatus, fossa, and (presumably) concha would 100% change the amount of and sound of background  noise.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

OldGoat

« Reply #45 on: 14 Jan 2019, 21:22 »

Honestly, Faye is getting off easy. I’d expect a more in-detail lecture from Bubs.
It's only Monday.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #46 on: 14 Jan 2019, 21:42 »

Given that Bubbles has clearly now spoken to Faye, and Faye has realised she stuffed up, I can't begin to imagine why we would see another lecture from Bubbles on the same incident. What would the point be exactly?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #47 on: 14 Jan 2019, 22:44 »

Faye, of all people, should be the one who wouldn't start pawing at someone without asking. After all, her usual response was to punch the offender in the face. So it just seems...wrong...that she would be the one doing it to someone else.

Not really, though. In my experience the people who feel free to touch anyone, seldom bear being touched themselves.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #48 on: 14 Jan 2019, 23:26 »

Must be tough being the only adult in the room Bubbles.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #49 on: 14 Jan 2019, 23:28 »

The more I see Ms Random Event Generator (Melon), the more I think Jeph has found his new random comedy character to replace Pintesize. That said, there is something deeply cute about her genuinely nice personality combined with her total disconnect from observational reality.

I'm wondering if Bubbles gave Faye a lecture 'off-screen', based on her reaction on panel 1. That said, panel 3 does suggest to me that she has some deep-rooted and occasionally-offensive assumptions about synthetics (basically 'computers that look like people') that aren't borne out by reality. Even her relationship with Bubbles hasn't rid her of them. I wonder if she's ever said to Bubbles 'but you're different' without a hint of irony?

Must be tough being the only adult in the room Bubbles.

I really thought that she would have gotten used to it by now!
~~~~

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up