THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Cave critter pet(s) for Brun? (any species of the type listed)

bat
centipede
milipede
cave spider
cave fish (there are so many species)
cave shrimp
flatworm
cavesnail
cave pseudoscorpion
cave scorpion
cave crayfish
cave isopod
amphipod
spotted-tail salamander
olm
cave cricket
cave beetle
creepy crawlies, no thanks
violet flatware cleansing simian
couldn't she just get those glowing mushrooms instead?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3956-3960 (11th to 15th March 2019)  (Read 26652 times)

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
Re: WCDT strips 3956-3960 (11th to 15th March 2019)
« Reply #100 on: 14 Mar 2019, 13:12 »

I always wondered what cause the coolant vent in the first place. I know, it's a last resort cooling mechanism, but how does the whole system get that hot anyway? Intentional by design overclocking to process sensory inputs and their effects, all while staying conscious?
I'd understand blacking out of a second to preserve processing power and stop fresh input - but that may result in an input/blackout loop. Then why not disconnect the sensory input causing it? Maybe that's not available in every chassis, or it would result in a sensory brownout / pseudoblackout.

Unless JJ actually is going to answer that soon in the comics, I'll have to spin my own theories.
Mandatory Law of Funny compliance.  Kind of like OHSA posters in our universe.
This. ^

On the psuedo-technical front of speculative engineering I would hazard to guess that things like the core housing the personality matrix and all that wibbly wobbly tiddly widdley mess of actively self rewriting code webs does not have anything like an adjustable clock regulator.
I think this would have something to do with real-time processing of analogue inputs ending up phase shifted and messing up the parameters if you did do that without the added compensation circuitry for each input.
Evaporation cooling for those rare times that the standard cooling system can not handle the load would be a very effective and efficient backup safety capability.
That it just so happens that a libido trigger would cause such an occurrence was most likely unforeseen in the design stage.

If any AI chassis [or core substrate more likely] would have the capability to overclock themselves it would be military systems that would require femto-seconds of screaming fast tactical processing to react to imminent threats between eons of standby mode and talking to the janitor about the latest episode of Game of Thrones.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #101 on: 14 Mar 2019, 14:11 »

It isn't the hours that make me wonder, it's what made them go from an "artisanal" looking typefont to handwritten scribbles. Or is handwritten scribbles what kids consider hipster 10 years later? (Is hipster still a thing?)

In QC time, maybe a year passed since then, max two? As far as I can say for sure, from the beginning till now, it's been like three years, in story time, maybe four?

I always wondered what cause the coolant vent in the first place. I know, it's a last resort cooling mechanism, but how does the whole system get that hot anyway? Intentional by design overclocking to process sensory inputs and their effects, all while staying conscious?
I'd understand blacking out of a second to preserve processing power and stop fresh input - but that may result in an input/blackout loop. Then why not disconnect the sensory input causing it? Maybe that's not available in every chassis, or it would result in a sensory brownout / pseudoblackout.

Unless JJ actually is going to answer that soon in the comics, I'll have to spin my own theories.
This. ^

On the psuedo-technical front of speculative engineering I would hazard to guess that things like the core housing the personality matrix and all that wibbly wobbly tiddly widdley mess of actively self rewriting code webs does not have anything like an adjustable clock regulator.
I think this would have something to do with real-time processing of analogue inputs ending up phase shifted and messing up the parameters if you did do that without the added compensation circuitry for each input.

Software so dynamic you better keep the hardware as static as possible? Sounds reasonable to me. Will it hit its limits occasionally? Hopefully not, but you never know.

Evaporation cooling for those rare times that the standard cooling system can not handle the load would be a very effective and efficient backup safety capability.
That it just so happens that a libido trigger would cause such an occurrence was most likely unforeseen in the design stage.

give it a bit more power than it should ever need and keep the cooling system as quiet as possible? Still kinda reasonable. Emergency measures for the rare occasion.

If any AI chassis [or core substrate more likely] would have the capability to overclock themselves it would be military systems that would require femto-seconds of screaming fast tactical processing to react to imminent threats between eons of standby mode and talking to the janitor about the latest episode of Game of Thrones.

I'll flat out accept that.

Plus: they're supposed to emulate certain human parameters, too. Human...-ish by design, and by accident.

Also, this is a webcomic, not the real world. We can make theories as much as we like, but there's a more powerful entity controlling what's going on, and I like to call him "Mister J".
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #102 on: 14 Mar 2019, 22:32 »

Today's comic hasn't dropped yet..odd.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #103 on: 14 Mar 2019, 23:11 »

Here's hoping everything is okay.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Lear

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #104 on: 14 Mar 2019, 23:38 »

But I enjoyed the idea of Roko trying to enter again, with exactly the same result.

cybersmurf

« Reply #105 on: 15 Mar 2019, 00:38 »

There it is.

In German, there's the expression "ins Fettnäpfchen treten", meaning literally "to step into a (small) tub of grease". The proverbial foot in mouth. Well done, Renée.
Also, good for you Roko.

There's a Roko-/Robo-bakery pun somewhere. Specialty? Baked good in the likeness of lizards.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #106 on: 15 Mar 2019, 01:18 »

New Comic Up!

Okay, now maybe the shipper in me is reading too much into stuff. However, I'm wondering if Elliott has a crush on Roko. It suddenly occurs to me that he wants to spend more time with her and really, really wants to persuade her to do so, if I'm interpreting panel 4 correctly. Of course, anything  that lets Roko be around bread and the master of making the bread she loves so much is okay by her! I'm sort of waiting for the critical point where Elliott realises that Roko is into the bread and not him or, alternately, Roko starts wondering if it is just the bread for her any more!

However, for me, the main point of this strip is Renee. Can anyone imagine Faye reacting like Renee does here during most of the run of the strip? She has awareness of her own Foot-In-Mouth Syndrome and it's a cause of some frustration to her. I kind of empathise with her here because it sometimes takes me two or three attempts to parse things that I don't want in my speech out of my speech, which is why I seem hesitant to some people.

FWIW, I really don't know if, in panel 2, Roko is annoyed with Renee or more confused about her behaviour.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #107 on: 15 Mar 2019, 01:52 »

Roko is fully living out her fantasy.
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2019, 06:02 by traroth »
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #108 on: 15 Mar 2019, 02:53 »

It's all well and good that Roko can apprentice at the bakery, but I thought the point of getting a second job was her charity work doesn't pay much so she needed to find addtional income. 

Strangely enough I'm actually sympathizing with Renee.  She can be insensitive from time to time, but this seems like an honest enough faux pas.  Is there any way to say something upbeat to someone who's chassis was crushed, but replaced a few days later? 

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #109 on: 15 Mar 2019, 02:55 »

But...
But...
But...

If Roko can turn down her sensitivity... Then her sensitivity shouldn't be a problem?

(Looks like those who were clamouring for an Elliot/Roko hook-up might be on tenterhooks at the moment!)

Interesting times.
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #110 on: 15 Mar 2019, 03:34 »

It's all well and good that Roko can apprentice at the bakery, but I thought the point of getting a second job was her charity work doesn't pay much so she needed to find addtional income.

Well, there's some indirect payment: she won't have to spend money to feed her fetish. (I'm assuming the smell is what she likes; I doubt she ingests the bread.)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #111 on: 15 Mar 2019, 03:39 »

It could lead to a paid gig in the longer term.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

cybersmurf

« Reply #112 on: 15 Mar 2019, 04:47 »

New Comic Up!

Okay, now maybe the shipper in me is reading too much into stuff. However, I'm wondering if Elliott has a crush on Roko. It suddenly occurs to me that he wants to spend more time with her and really, really wants to persuade her to do so, if I'm interpreting panel 4 correctly. Of course, anything  that lets Roko be around bread and the master of making the bread she loves so much is okay by her! I'm sort of waiting for the critical point where Elliott realises that Roko is into the bread and not him or, alternately, Roko starts wondering if it is just the bread for her any more!

However, for me, the main point of this strip is Renee. Can anyone imagine Faye reacting like Renee does here during most of the run of the strip? She has awareness of her own Foot-In-Mouth Syndrome and it's a cause of some frustration to her. I kind of empathise with her here because it sometimes takes me two or three attempts to parse things that I don't want in my speech out of my speech, which is why I seem hesitant to some people.

FWIW, I really don't know if, in panel 2, Roko is annoyed with Renee or more confused about her behaviour.

I think that's your ship there. Elliot was just too kind to say no, and probably was flattered someone wanted to be his apprentice (although the way Roko blurted the question at him, she would've asked anyone IMHO).

Also, I doubt Roko can change whether she reacts to something, only how much she shows.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #113 on: 15 Mar 2019, 06:00 »

But...
But...
But...

If Roko can turn down her sensitivity... Then her sensitivity shouldn't be a problem?

(Looks like those who were clamouring for an Elliot/Roko hook-up might be on tenterhooks at the moment!)

Interesting times.

He makes bread and has six-pack abs... It really was predictable.
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2019, 06:08 by traroth »

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #114 on: 15 Mar 2019, 06:07 »

But...
But...
But...

Interesting times.

Plot twist: she needs heavy duty tools in order to turn down her sensitivity.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #115 on: 15 Mar 2019, 06:19 »

You see, the switch is really hard to reach, and you need something to help you reach it. Yes, that dough hook ought to work... No, no need to wipe off the dough first...  Oh yeah, Just like that... Yessssss....

:evil:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Gyrre

« Reply #116 on: 15 Mar 2019, 06:46 »

Shame on you.

Also, most dough hooks are a weird elongated spiral. Her psychosomatic aspects would make that super uncomfortable.
(click to show/hide)
And, as you can see in the spoiler, dough hooks are also kind of big.
a real-ass gaddam sword

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #117 on: 15 Mar 2019, 06:54 »

On the other hand, making a job out of a... let's say, passion... can be really disappointing in the long run. Will Roko still feel the same toward bread, once she will have to bake a certain amount of loafs per day?

cybersmurf

« Reply #118 on: 15 Mar 2019, 07:16 »

On the other hand, making a job out of a... let's say, passion... can be really disappointing in the long run. Will Roko still feel the same toward bread, once she will have to bake a certain amount of loafs per day?

Working your passion may burn out your passion.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #119 on: 15 Mar 2019, 07:38 »

Just a reminder that in the States and Canada, clocks go forward on the second Sunday in March, whereas in Europe, they go forward the last Sunday in March

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #120 on: 15 Mar 2019, 08:08 »

But...
But...
But...

Interesting times.

I suspect that turning down her sensitivity may be undesirable, possibly even unpleasant - like deliberately numbing a limb or dulling sensitivity to light. She'll do it because she has to - to avoid "embarrassing" both Roko and Elliot .... which also makes me wonder - embarrassing how?
The imagination could run riot here.  :-D
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #121 on: 15 Mar 2019, 10:42 »

Possible consequence of turning down her sensitivity: a quick trip to Union Robotics to replace burnt dermal covering.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #122 on: 15 Mar 2019, 10:49 »

Youth programs, religious groups, law enforcement activities, recreation organizations, educational institutions - all have to screen volunteers very carefully.  If you do a word-association test on most police officers words like "scout leader" & "youth pastor" will be associated with something like "pedophile."

As a former cop, Roko knows all too much about people who accept unpaid or low paid employment in order to have access to things they find sexually attractive.    She may have some inner conflict with the baking arrangement. 

OTOH, bread isn't sentient (at least not that we know of).  But will Jim feel obliged to notify his customers, "This loaf was rubbed on a robot's rump"?  No doubt there are people who'd pay a premium, but he may of may not want it to be THAT kind of a bakery.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #123 on: 15 Mar 2019, 14:02 »

Pretty sure selling bread that's been rubbed on a butt, even a robot butt, would be a serious health code violation
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

A small perverse otter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #124 on: 15 Mar 2019, 15:12 »

Pretty sure selling bread that's been rubbed on a butt, even a robot butt, would be a serious health code violation
Yeah, and Roko being Roko, that would stop her in her tracks.
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

Gyrre

« Reply #125 on: 16 Mar 2019, 08:41 »

Just a reminder that in the States and Canada, clocks go forward on the second Sunday in March, whereas in Europe, they go forward the last Sunday in March
We used to start ours the last Sunday of Marchuntil the Energy Policy Act of 2005. When it DST first got started on thiss side of the pond, it didn't start until the last Sunday of April.

Granted, most sane folks think the whole thing is stupid.

The rationale is certainly unsound AND it throws 2nd and 3rd shift employees under the bus.

EDIT: fixed link by actually pasting it in this time (I'm usually asleep right now).
EDIT 3: NOW it's fixed. Like I said, I'm usually asleep at the time when I posted it.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2019, 19:19 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #126 on: 16 Mar 2019, 09:11 »

The rationale is certainly unsound AND it throws 2nd and 3rd shift employees under the bus.

Your link seems to be broken.

Gyrre

« Reply #127 on: 16 Mar 2019, 10:06 »

It's sorted now.

EDIT: now it's sorted.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2019, 01:31 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #128 on: 16 Mar 2019, 12:55 »

It's sorted now.
It goes to an essentially dead Wiki page with no information on the rationale.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #129 on: 16 Mar 2019, 15:27 »

Now it's fixed. The link up there had an unnecessary "
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Gyrre

« Reply #130 on: 16 Mar 2019, 19:21 »

Now it's fixed. The link up there had an unnecessary "

I was getting coding types mixed up. HTML's <a href> requires quotes around the link.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Cheetaur

• Plantmonster
« Reply #131 on: 16 Mar 2019, 19:48 »

I thought she was going to get paid? It seemed that way when Eliot talked to the boss.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #132 on: 16 Mar 2019, 22:49 »

Didn't Jim say he couldn't afford another person on the payroll?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #133 on: 17 Mar 2019, 01:05 »

Elliott offered to take a pay cut so that Jim could afford to pay Roko. Given what is said in Friday's strip, I suspect that Jim (rightly) told Elliott that this was a silly idea and that he shouldn't allow his compassion for (and, possibly, his attraction to) Roko to hurt him.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2019, 01:42 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

cybersmurf

« Reply #134 on: 17 Mar 2019, 02:48 »

Elliott offered to take a pay cut so that Jim could afford to pay Roko. Given what is said in Friday's strip, I suspect that Jim (rightly) told Elliott that this was a silly idea and that he shouldn't allow his compassion for (and, possibly, his attraction to) Roko to hurt him.

I think it's waaaaaay more (com-)passion than attraction, if any. I think Elliot is just easily excited.
And I think it's some kind of "as long as you don't neglect your duties, do whatever you want" situation, hence no pay.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #135 on: 17 Mar 2019, 05:19 »

Or it might just be that the Secret Bakery has three full time staff that we know of (Jim, Elliott and Renee) and can't really afford to take on someone new. I mean, how long has it been since Padma left and no one has been taken on to replace her? But if its just the experience of professionally making bread that Roko is looking for, Jim might just be amenable to letting her learn there for a time.

Gyrre

« Reply #136 on: 17 Mar 2019, 06:49 »

It looks like 'bat' and 'spotted-tailed salamander' are tied as clear winners for Brun's pet.
The question becomes what kind of bat?

I'm personally suggesting the Honduran white bat. They're adorable puffballs and primarily eat fruit.
a real-ass gaddam sword

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #137 on: 17 Mar 2019, 09:26 »

It looks like 'bat' and 'spotted-tailed salamander' are tied as clear winners for Brun's pet.
The question becomes what kind of bat?

I'm personally suggesting the Honduran white bat. They're adorable puffballs and primarily eat fruit.
Australian flying foxes would look like Satanic inverted puppy dogs if they weren't so damn cute.

The Portland OR zoo had a bat house last time I was there several years ago.  They had lines strung across the ceiling and the little critters would follow their favorite keepers around.  If I had the right kind of space I wouldn't mind having one for a pet.

Gyrre

« Reply #138 on: 17 Mar 2019, 19:32 »

*snip*
 If I had the right kind of space I wouldn't mind having one for a pet.
Hence me suggesting the Honduran white bat. They're body length is 37–47 mm (1.5–1.9 in).

EDIT: I was doing an image search and found some plushies of them that are bigger than the actual animal.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2019, 21:16 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #139 on: 18 Mar 2019, 03:42 »

Did you mean to post in this week's thread?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

« Reply #140 on: 19 Mar 2019, 01:51 »

a real-ass gaddam sword

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #141 on: 19 Mar 2019, 04:49 »

That question was actually directed at a different poster who has since deleted their post from this thread and reposted in this week's.

Gyrre

« Reply #142 on: 19 Mar 2019, 08:19 »

That question was actually directed at a different poster who has since deleted their post from this thread and reposted in this week's.
Ah.
BTW, how do we link specific posts from a thread?
a real-ass gaddam sword

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #143 on: 19 Mar 2019, 10:28 »

Right-click the title at the top of the post concerned and select to copy the link.  (It's orange because it's a link.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Hoodiecrow

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #144 on: 25 Mar 2019, 23:20 »

To wit, it was this nitwit (me), showing off my newbieness.

I thought it was better to make as little noise as possible, so I just "liked" the note and deleted my post. I didn't mean to cause confusion, sorry.
ADD, ASD, AvPD, OCD
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up