THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Bread? Brun? Bots? Whatcha got for this week?

Bread
- 21 (65.6%)
Brun
- 3 (9.4%)
Bots
- 5 (15.6%)
Baffling Behavior By Pintsize
- 1 (3.1%)
Other
- 2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3961-3965 (18-22 March 2019)  (Read 23551 times)

Tai Fanboi

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • DeadWinter
Re: WCDT strips 3961-3965 (18-22 March 2019)
« Reply #100 on: 22 Mar 2019, 04:35 »

I got a serious Dr. Casey vibe from that mirror scene.

Oh god, I should've drunk more so I wouldn't remember that.

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #101 on: 22 Mar 2019, 06:48 »

Whoa, Roko, sick delts.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #102 on: 22 Mar 2019, 07:25 »

Dammit...
Just when we were starting to think "Hey! Looks like Roko's got a handle on this thang!"

:cry:

Honestly, that's what a lot of dysphoria feels like. For me anyway. You start to feel okay in your skin. Maybe even comfortable. Then a look in the mirror, or you catch a look at your body and suddenly your mind is screaming 'This is wrong!' Big empathy, Roko.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #103 on: 22 Mar 2019, 09:09 »

I wonder how sophisticated virtual reality is in QC; this may end up being the only solution to Roko's issues. She doesn't feel "at home" in her own body, and no amount of adjustments or fine-tuning may fix that. Her original body is gone, damaged beyond repair and almost certainly scrapped or recycled by now. So, her only solution may be to leave her body entirely and be placed in an AI VR world that she can adjust to her liking.

Either that, or her dysphoria is going to be on ongoing part of her character, like Faye's alcoholism or Hannelore's OCD, something she's going to have to deal with for the foreseeable future.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

artag

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #104 on: 22 Mar 2019, 09:35 »

Yelling Bird. Having her actually interact on a regular basis with our main characters and contribute to the plot feels weird.

I like Melon more & more. She's gone from 'kooky' to 'qwirky', and I think her deep concern for Roko has turned her into a full character instead of being just for laughs.

chetoos8

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #105 on: 22 Mar 2019, 10:30 »

I'm actually really glad that I came here to read about this, because I completely missed the dysphoria stuff in Roko's storyline, but it makes it a lot richer. I agree, I'm glad that this is getting explored someway, and I hope that Roko does talk to Claire about it.

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #106 on: 22 Mar 2019, 11:19 »

Do AIs sweat? Because that the main reason humans have to wash frequently I think. If that sweat smells differently it might feel like not owning your body.

cybersmurf

« Reply #107 on: 22 Mar 2019, 11:34 »

Do AIs sweat? Because that the main reason humans have to wash frequently I think. If that sweat smells differently it might feel like not owning your body.

Sweating is a biological cooling process (except cold sweats IIRC). Firstly, it's pressing "hot" sweat from the inside to the outside, increasing cooling capabilities from the core, and evaporation cools by using up energy for the liquid to gaseous state transition.
There are a few examples of AIs venting, because their cooling system is incapable of coping with higher processing loads, but there's no classical sweating in qc, at least not that I'm aware of.

Roko washing her face probably is more of a human imitation thing, or because she likes the sensation. (but look back after the marten/padma/Elliot/Sam/Momo hiking trip, Momo took a shower simply for cleaning purposes)
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #108 on: 22 Mar 2019, 15:08 »

I just hope Roko will not destroy her dermal cover...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

poofdepoof

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #109 on: 22 Mar 2019, 15:12 »

Oh god. She doesn't see herself in the mirror. It looks like her, but it isn't her. Not really her. And every time she looks away from the mirror, she desperately hopes that the next time she looks up she'll see herself looking back, but she doesn't. And every time it crushes her a little more.

I fucking HATE mirrors. More than anything. Except maybe fitting rooms.

While I generally really appreciate the fact that Jeph doesn't make Claire's story about being trans* (that she isn't just "the trans* character"), I think she's probably the best equipped to understand how Roko is feeling right now. I kinda hope they get a chance to talk.
Thank you for the clue-by-four.
I was just thinking she was having issues processing the way the water felt. Like it was just off. Whether it be due to the chasis or someone screwing up the chlorine levels or something for the current batch at the water treatment center.

I also needed this explanation. My initial reaction to the comic was "Is the water stuck on her chassis / did she damage the dermal covering?" I like y'all's readings better, because it "shows" what Roko's been "telling" all week about having trouble acclimating.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #110 on: 22 Mar 2019, 16:43 »

I agree. Her troubles feel a lot more tangible to me after this comic.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #111 on: 22 Mar 2019, 17:55 »

I wonder if Faye and Dora's therapist is trained to treat AIs?  Maybe a referral is in order?

alc40

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #112 on: 22 Mar 2019, 18:26 »

In regard to sweat, comic 1440 showed that Momo's first chassis could sweat.  The note under the comic said:
Chibi style AnthroPCs have an internal reservoir full of a viscous, opaque liquid they can exude through their hair follicles in order to simulate the Nervous Anime Sweatdrop. It's kind of gross, actually.
Some other comics showed her crying too.  But I don't recall any other AIs that could do either.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #113 on: 22 Mar 2019, 21:04 »

Am I the only one who read Roko going to wash her face as her trying to clear her head?  Melon comes in and is herself, and Roko uses the moment to excuse herself to process thoughts?  It's a rather human behavior (for example some people pace while speaking out loud to themselves while processing difficult or confusing thoughts), but the AIs IIRC are programmed for it for better/easier integration in society.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #114 on: 22 Mar 2019, 21:13 »

Am I the only one who read Roko going to wash her face as her trying to clear her head?  Melon comes in and is herself, and Roko uses the moment to excuse herself to process thoughts?  It's a rather human behavior (for example some people pace while speaking out loud to themselves while processing difficult or confusing thoughts), but the AIs IIRC are programmed for it for better/easier integration in society.

Clearing your head does not take 20 minutes of increasingly hard scrubbing.

Let's just break the panels down.

The first panel, Roko splashes her face. She looks up, with perhaps a surprised look in her eyes.

The third panel, she splashes her face again, this time throwing in some scrubbing. She looks up again, surprise now replaced with something else, maybe fear, maybe anger, maybe disbelief.

The fifth panel is what cinches it. She's scrubbing hard and fast. Roko can't recognise the person in the mirror and as if she scrubs hard enough, she might get rid of this imposter.

This is the point where Roko needs to talk to someone about what she's going through, because its only going to get worse from her.

ihaveavoice

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #115 on: 22 Mar 2019, 23:09 »

I think Sorflakne was saying that's why Roko INITIALLY decided to go wash her face, not why she ended up having a meltdown when she saw herself-but-not-herself in the mirror. It's not like she could plan how she was about to feel. I'd been wondering last comic if there was meant to be flour on it that she wanted to get off, but there didn't appear to be any smudges, and "I'll do this thing to collect myself" is as good a reason as any for her to go in there.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #116 on: 23 Mar 2019, 04:49 »

I wonder if Faye and Dora's therapist is trained to treat AIs?  Maybe a referral is in order?
Didn’t she say she wouldn’t take on any more of the crew due to potential conflicts of interest?
Or possibly Faye reported that she said so, at least.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #117 on: 23 Mar 2019, 06:11 »

IMO, if Roko can be persuaded to seek therapy, it will probably be with Lemon who has prior knowledge of the case and apparently has some kind of official capacity with ECI, given that she was working at the facility where Roko's core was recovered and restarted before she was installed in her new chassis. I'm sort of hoping that we see her again and that we learn that she has a PhD in AI psychology.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #118 on: 23 Mar 2019, 07:15 »

IMO, if Roko can be persuaded to seek therapy, it will probably be with Lemon who has prior knowledge of the case and apparently has some kind of official capacity with ECI, given that she was working at the facility where Roko's core was recovered and restarted before she was installed in her new chassis. I'm sort of hoping that we see her again and that we learn that she has a PhD in AI psychology.
Though, Lemon stated that her usual patients were nuclear reactor AI.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #119 on: 23 Mar 2019, 09:20 »

After forty years it finally hit me.

Susan Calvin should have been written as a robot.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #120 on: 23 Mar 2019, 09:24 »

Didn’t she say she wouldn’t take on any more of the crew due to potential conflicts of interest?
Or possibly Faye reported that she said so, at least.

Your memory is correct. https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1782

Faye and Hannelore though, not Faye and Dora.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #121 on: 23 Mar 2019, 20:29 »

20 minutes of face washing we would call "OCD" if a squishy were doing it.

Does Roko have another challenge in addition to her body dysphoria?

In another line of thought I was wondering why a robot has a bathroom. Building codes probably require it, and she has organic visitors sometimes.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #122 on: 23 Mar 2019, 21:49 »

20 minutes of face washing we would call "OCD" if a squishy were doing it.

Does Roko have another challenge in addition to her body dysphoria?

In another line of thought I was wondering why a robot has a bathroom. Building codes probably require it, and she has organic visitors sometimes.
   And as we saw with Momo and the swamp, sometimes they just need to clean their dermal layer.

Milayna

« Reply #123 on: 23 Mar 2019, 22:08 »

Probably also that that apartment is just, you know, an apartment, possibly built before AI's emerged, and has the amenities that apartments have.

And also oh dang Sven. I'd forgotten that comic completely. Weird to be agreeing with him but he ain't wrong.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #124 on: 23 Mar 2019, 23:11 »

We have seen AIs go out of their way to do things like squishies even when it made no sense, such as Momo applying insect repellent to herself. Maybe renting an apartment instead of a charging cubicle with a locker for yarn is just such an attempt to blend in.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #125 on: 23 Mar 2019, 23:40 »

We have seen AIs go out of their way to do things like squishies even when it made no sense, such as Momo applying insect repellent to herself.

They probably just want to avoid bugs.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

cybersmurf

« Reply #126 on: 24 Mar 2019, 03:09 »

We have seen AIs go out of their way to do things like squishies even when it made no sense, such as Momo applying insect repellent to herself.

They probably just want to avoid bugs.

Well, Padma cracked the "software bugs" joke when she saw momo apply insect repellent.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up