...no?
Yes
No
NO!
maybe
space ham
I refuse to answer questions of morality

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3971-3975 (April 1st-5th)  (Read 32030 times)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
WCDT Strips 3971-3975 (April 1st-5th)
« on: 31 Mar 2019, 06:18 »

Well, Claire's going to have to face her exams sooner or later. Here's hoping Martin can convince her to get out of bed.

Anybody else tired of April Fool's Day "pranks" just being a bunch of people telling lies? We have enough of that already.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
Re: WCDT Strips 3971-3975 (April 1st-5th)
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2019, 06:58 »

On the subject of whether simple falsehood is a “good” prank, I deeply object to the insinuation that there exists such an impossible creature as a “good prank” – explicitly setting out to harm someone is otherwise called fraud or assault depending on the nature of the harm and justifying it by claiming it was all for the amusement of yourself or others is just digging the hole deeper imho.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Gyrre

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2019, 07:16 »

Swapped some things around in the poll to give the options a nicer curve, as well as adding quotation marks around "good prank".
a real-ass gaddam sword

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2019, 09:06 »

On the subject of whether simple falsehood is a “good” prank, I deeply object to the insinuation that there exists such an impossible creature as a “good prank” – explicitly setting out to harm someone is otherwise called fraud or assault depending on the nature of the harm and justifying it by claiming it was all for the amusement of yourself or others is just digging the hole deeper imho.
If the pranked party finds it amusing as well and bellylaughs are had all around, I'd call that a good prank.  I'll grant you, many are indeed undertaken in a spirit of bullying and not good humor.  Perhaps it is that sort you're thinking of.

cybersmurf

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2019, 12:04 »

Some things have to be set up by omission or bending of truths, which is okay. Flat out telling a lie is something different entirely, it always depends on what you want to do. Making the lie the punch line of your joke is probably going to backfire. There is so much that can go wrong.

A good prank works even if people know something's up.

Anyways, what do you think Claire will do with her freedom once she's passed all of her exams?
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2019, 15:08 »

A librarian I know tells me the job market in our world is grim.

I couldn't come up with a good prank this year but the comment about lying gave me an idea.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2019, 15:40 »

Once she passes, she'll start applying to college libraries at Colleges around Northampton.   So, does she take over for someone at Williston, becoming Tai and Marten's boss.  Does she go further afield?  And might that entail moving away, and what would that portend for the strip? Or would she put her career and dreams on hold or would Marten decide his best future is at Claire's side?

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2019, 16:15 »

College libraries aren’t Claire’s only options. There are also public libraries and school libraries.

That job market is still pretty grim, though.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2019, 16:39 »

Depending on the type of library science, she could find work in IT. There's library degrees that are more "techy" than "booky", especially these days. There's librarian jobs at some government agencies that are basically database management.
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2019, 18:41 by War Sparrow »

Gyrre

« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2019, 18:36 »

Once she passes, she'll start applying to college libraries at Colleges around Northampton.   So, does she take over for someone at Williston, becoming Tai and Marten's boss.  Does she go further afield?  And might that entail moving away, and what would that portend for the strip? Or would she put her career and dreams on hold or would Marten decide his best future is at Claire's side?

Thanks to some weird EC tech experiment gone wrong, she becomes a cyber sentai and fights monstrous representions of computer viruses and hackers.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #10 on: 31 Mar 2019, 19:48 »

Now this is a proper prank. Even if it did backfire a bit.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #11 on: 31 Mar 2019, 20:40 »

Do not forget your signal flares for your finals, kids.
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #12 on: 31 Mar 2019, 20:54 »

Now this is a proper prank. Even if it did backfire a bit.

It's a rather fine example of Not Thinking Things Through, that's what it is.  :laugh:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

cybersmurf

« Reply #13 on: 31 Mar 2019, 22:32 »

Your lunch, should you accept it, is to fire the signal flare at the most inopportune moment possible.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #14 on: 31 Mar 2019, 22:56 »

If all else fails, she can use the flare to simply light the stack of handed in exams at the end.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

cybersmurf

« Reply #15 on: 31 Mar 2019, 23:07 »

If all else fails, she can use the flare to simply light the stack of handed in exams at the end.

Cackling mischievously?

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #16 on: 31 Mar 2019, 23:22 »

I'm sort of disappointed that we don't get to see Marten talking Claire out of her panic attack. That said, we've already sort-of had this already and maybe there's no need to have the same strips twice. It's worth it so that we get an early view of Claire wearing her 'Lbrys R Srs Bsnss' clothes.

Bubbles is being cute to Small Friend as always. That said, I'm still trying to work out if the signal flare is an example of her taking things a bit too seriously, a subtle attempt to use humour to get Claire to acknowledge that her fears are silly or some kind of Chekhov's Gun! Her smile definitely makes me lean towards Bubbles being proud of her foresight and apparently thinking that final exams are more physically threatening than they actually are!

Cackling mischievously?

No, screaming: "You can't mark those! I messed up! I won't let that be my answers on the record!"
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #17 on: 01 Apr 2019, 01:33 »

Chekhov’s Signal Flare! The real question is; what counts as the third act here?
That said, I'm still trying to work out if the signal flare is an example of her taking things a bit too seriously, a subtle attempt to use humour to get Claire to acknowledge that her fears are silly or some kind of Chekhov's Gun!
Yes. All three.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #18 on: 01 Apr 2019, 01:36 »

Claire will kick ass and eat snacks during her finals.
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #19 on: 01 Apr 2019, 02:37 »

College libraries aren’t Claire’s only options. There are also public libraries and school libraries.

IIRC, Claire's real interest is more in the preservation and care of ancient books. The idea of ancient knowledge in her hands seems to be something that fascinates her. So she could easily end up working for a museum archive or even a private collector who wants to keep their books in good condition.

Naturally, she would find the Ancient Cursed Tome of Forbidden KnowledgeTM or something similar.
~~~~

TheEvilDog

« Reply #20 on: 01 Apr 2019, 02:39 »

Your lunch, should you accept it, is to fire the signal flare at the most inopportune moment possible.

Obviously the flare is to distract any wandering T-rexes that assault the exam hall.

cybersmurf

« Reply #21 on: 01 Apr 2019, 04:17 »

IIRC, Claire's real interest is more in the preservation and care of ancient books. The idea of ancient knowledge in her hands seems to be something that fascinates her. So she could easily end up working for a museum archive or even a private collector who wants to keep their books in good condition.

Naturally, she would find the Ancient Cursed Tome of Forbidden KnowledgeTM or something similar.

The Indiana Jones of library sciences?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #22 on: 01 Apr 2019, 05:19 »

I personally carry reflective triangles myself. Less dangerous.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #23 on: 01 Apr 2019, 05:34 »

Throw the veggies in water, use the signal flare to heat it and make soup.

Cue the fun-at-parties brigade to post walls-o'text as to why that's impossible.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #24 on: 01 Apr 2019, 05:59 »

A smoke grenade would be more useful. If ever Claire needs to sneak out...

rtmq0227

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #25 on: 01 Apr 2019, 06:53 »

Her smile definitely makes me lean towards Bubbles being proud of her foresight and apparently thinking that final exams are more physically threatening than they actually are!

I'd imagine Bubbles' final exams were fairly physically threatening, clearly she still holds certain assumptions based on her own experience.
The best lore starts as an off-handed comment or joke.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #26 on: 01 Apr 2019, 07:48 »

Is she Squirrel Girl now?
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

SeaWoodStage

• Emoticontraindication
  • I make a lovely cuppa.
« Reply #27 on: 01 Apr 2019, 08:09 »

What I like most about this strip is that I honestly can't quite tell how serious Bubbles is, which speaks well for her character development over the last few years. Is it really a signal flare? Possible. Is it an emergency wrap with some light but tasty protein? Also possible.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #28 on: 01 Apr 2019, 08:59 »

“I’m here to kick ass and eat snacks, and I’m all out of ass!  .... Wait, that came out wrong.”
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

SeaWoodStage

• Emoticontraindication
  • I make a lovely cuppa.
« Reply #29 on: 01 Apr 2019, 10:47 »

I'm here to kick snacks, and eat... Lalala biscuits. Has anyone tried these things? Sailors used a basic version in the nineteenth century to stave off scurvy, and these things are great! Lembas bread, but not quite as tasty.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #30 on: 01 Apr 2019, 11:32 »

Bubbles has shown leadership qualities before, and a former Marine told me long ago that humor was among the tools non-coms used.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

OldGoat

« Reply #31 on: 01 Apr 2019, 11:48 »

Bubbles has shown leadership qualities before, and a former Marine told me long ago that humor was among the tools non-coms used.
If Bubbles wasn't a NCO she was being groomed for promotion.

SeaWoodStage

• Emoticontraindication
  • I make a lovely cuppa.
« Reply #32 on: 01 Apr 2019, 11:49 »

I'm taking that to mean that Bubbles did pack a sensible wrap with light protein! (When presented with options, I tend to go for the clean option.)

I've never been in the military or been close to anyone who was, but I suppose a certain type of joke gets very old very fast. I imagine humour is extremely important in military relationships, and it must keep evolving.

SordidEuphemism

• Plantmonster
  • Treguna Mekoides Tracorum Satis Dee
« Reply #33 on: 01 Apr 2019, 11:55 »

I'm taking that to mean that Bubbles did pack a sensible wrap with light protein! (When presented with options, I tend to go for the clean option.)

I've never been in the military or been close to anyone who was, but I suppose a certain type of joke gets very old very fast. I imagine humour is extremely important in military relationships, and it must keep evolving.

The puns. My god. The puns. I have several relatives, including my father, in/retired from the Navy (and other, lesser armed forces) and the 'bored guy doing repetitive job keeping his mind active' leads to some of the absolutely worst, groan-worthy punning. It's a delight.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #34 on: 01 Apr 2019, 13:29 »

On the prank front

Didn't pull either at the office this year but was an instigator at someone else's by giving them ideas.
(click to show/hide)

With respect to librarian positions

Commercial publishers also have libraries of still photos, filler stories, artwork, ad copy, various media.
Same goes for companies that work in media or marketing.
These days there are also just raw files on desktops or servers, placed in various user folders as well as the general directory where you are no supposed to save anything, that need to be moved, renamed, indexed and archived.
(click to show/hide)

On the sensible lunch option
I can never understand these diet fads and their twisting of language by marketing types
Light protein - what does that even mean?
Clean option - does that imply that contaminated lunches are standard and clean is an option?
I tried a quick lookup on healthy exam foods but the first few pages were all blogs and commercial diet sites and I don't have the energy to dig deep enough to find actual nutritional information not contaminated by pseudoscience or marketing or both.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

SeaWoodStage

• Emoticontraindication
  • I make a lovely cuppa.
« Reply #35 on: 01 Apr 2019, 13:49 »

I can never understand these things either.

ETA: I suppose I'm thinking of some lean steak with some beetroot and rocket in a wrap?

And some mayonnaise or something. I mean, come on. ETA: I've gone over to chatter with my amazing sandwich recipe.
« Last Edit: 01 Apr 2019, 13:56 by SeaWoodStage »

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #36 on: 01 Apr 2019, 19:32 »

New comic up. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #38 on: 01 Apr 2019, 20:01 »

Yeah, that last tar-and-feathering made national headlines. Turned out it was one of the Kennedys.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #39 on: 01 Apr 2019, 23:11 »

Marten and Claire are very cute together aren't they? I'm pretty sure that they're in for the long run now. They've reached this level of comfortable with each other where they aren't treading on eggshells but can tease and unseriously mock without fear of offence

I'm also pretty sure that it's pretty much in-character for Marten that losing a school library book way back when has inspired him to research quantum dynamics to see if he can convince himself that a book can exist both on the shelf and with a lendee without violating some law of physics! Mr Marten Neurosis Reed, ladies and gentlemen!
~~~~

OldGoat

« Reply #40 on: 01 Apr 2019, 23:54 »

In the US military a good joke or prank is nearly immortal.  There's a constant turn-over of personnel and the victim can always look forward to pulling it on some poor Sad Sack who takes their place as the newbie, so classics are constantly recycled.  For example, the Air Force and aviation branches of the other services all take fiendish delight in sending new arrivals for ten gallons of prop wash or a few hundred feet of flight line.  There's a female civilian employee at many facilities named Ms H. Wate, usually in the supply or personal equipment section.  Noobs and even others who become a little too impatient to obtain a popular given item or items of issue will be told to go to Helen Wate.

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #41 on: 02 Apr 2019, 00:54 »

Noobs and even others who become a little too impatient to obtain a popular given item or items of issue will be told to go to Helen Wate.
I assume she's a (distant) relative of Michael Hunt?
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #42 on: 02 Apr 2019, 01:08 »

Is taring and feathering some kind of tradition? We don't do that on our side of the Atlantic. Well I sure heard about it in comics or western movies, but it really seems kind of unhealthy, or even deadly. Isn't the tar hot? Can such an ordeal be survived?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #43 on: 02 Apr 2019, 01:46 »

Tarring and feathering is a traditional US means for communities to express extreme disapproval of certain individuals who have caused (or are believed to be causing or likely to cause) great harm to the community. Traditionally, it's aimed at con-artists and persistent low-level troublemakers. However, it can also be targetted at unpopular travelling preachers, vagrants and members of minorities that the community rejects.

Yes, it is dangerous and can be deadly. The tar will cause body-wide burns and people have lost large chunks of skin and been permanently scarred and crippled. Think of it as a method of lynching that is not at least intended to be lethal.
« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2019, 01:52 by BenRG »
~~~~

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #44 on: 02 Apr 2019, 02:36 »

Ok, after a quick search, it seems that we do that on this side of the Atlantic, too. The last reported case was in Ireland in 2007...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarring_and_feathering

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #45 on: 02 Apr 2019, 04:33 »

Yes, it is dangerous and can be deadly. The tar will cause body-wide burns and people have lost large chunks of skin and been permanently scarred and crippled. Think of it as a method of lynching that is not at least intended to be lethal.

Nope, they used wood-tar rather than bitumen - the former is viscous at room temperatures.

"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

cybersmurf

« Reply #46 on: 02 Apr 2019, 04:38 »

Nope, they used wood-tar rather than bitumen - the former is viscous at room temperatures.

Still hurts like a bitch unless you use solvent and/or heat/warmth to remove it.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #47 on: 02 Apr 2019, 04:56 »

Still hurts like a bitch unless you use solvent and/or heat/warmth to remove it.

And here I was thinking of it as harmless fun for the family ...  :roll:

TheEvilDog

« Reply #48 on: 02 Apr 2019, 05:08 »

Well yeah, it was an incredibly cruel form of punishment. It was public torture and humiliation.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #49 on: 02 Apr 2019, 07:10 »

Also, even when you get most of it off, it'll take weeks before it's entirely gone. Some one I know well, crewed on a traditional tall ship. Tarring the rigging is just simple upkeep and maintenance; however, tarred rigging in a hot summer means every one gets more or less tarred.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up