THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 04:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which obscene sounding town/city do you think Pintsize would want to visit the most?

Fucksburg
Pleasure Point
Fucking
Climax
Humptulips
Dicksboro
Hackballs Cross
Fartrim
Cum
Spunkane
Slutsend
Bastardstown
Muff
Intercourse
Blue Ball
Bird-in-Hand
(I've got a better one)
(pass)

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3986-3990 (22nd - 26th April, 2019)  (Read 31589 times)

TheEvilDog

Re: WCDT Strips 3986-3990 (22nd - 26th April, 2019)
« Reply #100 on: 24 Apr 2019, 21:16 »

To be fair, Tai invited them to the bar. Which from our perspective, left it leaning heavily towards Dora and Tai getting engaged. I mean, imagine how likely these two scenarios are:
Marten: "Hey Tai, why did you invite us out?"
Tai: "Well, I asked Dora if she would marry me and she said yes. We're engaged!"
Marten: "Congratulations!"

Or....
Tai: "Well, I asked Dora if she would marry me and she turned me down."
Marten: ".....Oh."

TRenn

• Plantmonster
« Reply #101 on: 24 Apr 2019, 21:18 »

It pleases me that, amongst the four primary "idiots," three have some sort of sheepish grin in panel 4, while Bubbles makes her "savings throw" statement with exactly the same expression.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #102 on: 24 Apr 2019, 22:16 »

Now that the concept of getting married is no longer ignorable, are Faye and Bubbles going to have a talk about where they are in their relationship?

Related: is human/robot marriage even legal?

Put Obergefell v. Hodges together with the AI ERA and it should be as clear cut as anything ever is in the law.

Have we ever heard of a married synthetic at all, ever? Is it something they even do?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #103 on: 24 Apr 2019, 22:20 »

Now that the concept of getting married is no longer ignorable, are Faye and Bubbles going to have a talk about where they are in their relationship?

Related: is human/robot marriage even legal?
Meh, if they don't like it they can call a cop.

cybersmurf

« Reply #104 on: 24 Apr 2019, 22:35 »

I think, they were expecting excited screaming and confetti.
What did they expect though? They probably were too busy seeing how freaked out Marten was and how he left, Claire still winding down not yet capable of being her cheerful self. Bubbles is Bubbles, and they could see why Faye might be a bit... distracted, since it seems to be her first time in a bar ever since.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #105 on: 24 Apr 2019, 22:41 »

"We didn't invite you here for honest reactions!"

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #106 on: 24 Apr 2019, 22:57 »

To be fair, Tai invited them to the bar. Which from our perspective, left it leaning heavily towards Dora and Tai getting engaged. I mean, imagine how likely these two scenarios are:
Tai: "Well, I asked Dora if she would marry me and she said yes. We're engaged!"
Marten: "Congratulations!"

Or....
Tai: "Well, I asked Dora if she would marry me and she turned me down."
Marten: ".....Oh."

Possibly, but maybe they went from engagement to married.  Perhaps they were so in the moment they went to the courthouse and sealed the deal. 

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #107 on: 24 Apr 2019, 23:12 »

This is a hilarious comic. It's the comparison of the two rows that makes it work and especially the facial expressions. If nothing else, I suspect Dora and Tai are more than a little peeved that their highly-neurotic friends are hard-pressed to make this not be about them rather than the happy couple! That said, Faye at least is offering Dora and Tai validation; she clearly thinks that Dora ought to have said yes.

A nice bonus is where Bubbles' hand is: It isn't shifting from Faye's shoulder and that's a wonderfully subtle gesture of support and protection.

"We didn't invite you here for honest reactions!"

Precisely. Sometimes, saying 'congratulations' is enough. Perhaps one should avoid more detailed commentary in situations like this! :laugh:
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #108 on: 24 Apr 2019, 23:17 »

I have a similar issue. I just sit there thinking 'you do this to yourself by choice. And it costs you so much money.'
Ditto on the I-don't-like-being-drunk train.

For me, most beers taste vile (anything not derived solely from fruit), and being drunk is more frustrating than fun. My inhibitors go up, yet I still get the impaired balance and motor skills. On the taste front, most mixed drinks and hard liquors are okay, but I'm "pretty picky" since I don't do anything bitter.

EDIT: derped out and accidentally deleted the close quotes coding.
EDIT 2: correcting verb-noun agreement.
EDIT 3: correcting typo in previous correction
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2019, 21:13 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #109 on: 25 Apr 2019, 01:34 »

It pleases me that, amongst the four primary "idiots," three have some sort of sheepish grin in panel 4, while Bubbles makes her "savings throw" statement with exactly the same expression.

You beat me to it!  :-D
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #110 on: 25 Apr 2019, 02:19 »

Have we ever heard of a married synthetic at all, ever? Is it something they even do?
IIRC we've only seen two other AI couples: Jeremy/7 and Melon/Arthur and whether they are married or not hasn't been stated AFAIK. And IIRC we haven't seen any other AI/human relations at all.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #111 on: 25 Apr 2019, 02:46 »

IIRC we've only seen two other AI couples: Jeremy/7 and Melon/Arthur and whether they are married or not hasn't been stated AFAIK. And IIRC we haven't seen any other AI/human relations at all.

FWIW, it's not in Jeph's style to write drama of this sort. If he did decide to have a human/synthetic wedding, I think he'd prefer to (and likely have more fun with) contrasting the traditions of the two species and making jokes about the resulting hybrid ceremony (FAYE: "I am not sticking a USB cable in my ear for anyone!").

It's more in his style that he'll have a Reliable Narrator like Momo explain that this has all been sorted out ages ago, possibly including telling the tale. My favourite idea is something like that Joaquin Phoenix film, Her. A guy working for a bank that has an unembodied AI as its 24-hour trading monitoring and execution system. He pulls several night shifts and gets to know her (and the system very clearly identifies as female). Gradually, they fall in love and she ultimately takes up a buy-out of her contract, gets a anthropomimetic chassis and the two get married (and even adopt a kid).

Momo notes that the Supreme Court ruling was actually not close but that, to this day, many continue to fume about the extension of equal rights to that degree. Maybe Momo will note that the lady in question actually now teaches pure maths at Smif and all the students she's spoken to agree that she and her husband remain extremely in love. Another interesting twist would be that she was quite rich because of her bonuses from her smart trading; it was her money that partly paid for the development of highly-anthropometic chassis that exist in the present.

[EDIT - PS]
Maybe this was the test case that led to the AIs being granted equal rights with humans?
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2019, 02:55 by BenRG »
~~~~

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #112 on: 25 Apr 2019, 03:38 »

I don't think it's an issue of Faye being dishonest.

You really think so?

Marten: She wants us all to come out for drinks tonight. How about I offer our place instead?

Dishonest answer:

Faye: No, no, it's fine. I can handle bein' in a bar.

Honest answer:

Faye: No, no, it's fine, but I may need some help with this.

It seems so out of character for her to decide to hide this from Marten, of all people.

I was also very surprised that Faye didn't share her concerns about the bar with Marten. Not because of any beliefs about honesty is the best policy(*) but because I felt it was out of character for her, given what we've seen of their friendship post Faye's hospitalisation. She didn't hesitate to ask him to keep an eye on her in the past.

So I guess I'm leaning towards the "thinking about it while walking to work made her realise she wasn't as okay as she said she was" theory.

*(Personally I think that honesty is usually the best policy. But not always.)

---

I wonder if we're going to have a brief weird moment when Tai (or Dora) realise that 2 out the 4 of people who have come to celebrate with them aren't drinking. Bubbles could smell some alcohol or try a robot beer if she wanted to, but I'm sure she'd see helping Faye stay sober as much more important.

I sure hope that if there is such a moment, that Tai/Dora won't say any of the various thoughtless comments I've encountered over the years when people realise I'm not drinking. I don't drink because I don't want to, I imagine such comments would be even more difficult for Faye to deal with.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #113 on: 25 Apr 2019, 03:50 »

Well now I'm wondering if Tai is going to act as the tempter for Faye later in this story, trying to get her to have a drink to celebrate the engagement.

Of course, this could be an interesting time to look at Tai's own predilection for substance use and maybe some sort of realisation.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #114 on: 25 Apr 2019, 04:01 »

Well now I'm wondering if Tai is going to act as the tempter for Faye later in this story, trying to get her to have a drink to celebrate the engagement.

Of course, this could be an interesting time to look at Tai's own predilection for substance use and maybe some sort of realisation.

Do you think any use of substance is abuse? Honest question, no innuendo intended.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #115 on: 25 Apr 2019, 04:04 »

I don't think it's an issue of Faye being dishonest.

You really think so?

Marten: She wants us all to come out for drinks tonight. How about I offer our place instead?

Dishonest answer:

Faye: No, no, it's fine. I can handle bein' in a bar.

Honest answer:

Faye: No, no, it's fine, but I may need some help with this.

It seems so out of character for her to decide to hide this from Marten, of all people.

I was also very surprised that Faye didn't share her concerns about the bar with Marten. Not because of any beliefs about honesty is the best policy(*) but because I felt it was out of character for her, given what we've seen of their friendship post Faye's hospitalisation. She didn't hesitate to ask him to keep an eye on her in the past.

So I guess I'm leaning towards the "thinking about it while walking to work made her realise she wasn't as okay as she said she was" theory.

*(Personally I think that honesty is usually the best policy. But not always.)

---

I wonder if we're going to have a brief weird moment when Tai (or Dora) realise that 2 out the 4 of people who have come to celebrate with them aren't drinking. Bubbles could smell some alcohol or try a robot beer if she wanted to, but I'm sure she'd see helping Faye stay sober as much more important.

I sure hope that if there is such a moment, that Tai/Dora won't say any of the various thoughtless comments I've encountered over the years when people realise I'm not drinking. I don't drink because I don't want to, I imagine such comments would be even more difficult for Faye to deal with.

I think the comic makes it perfectly clear that from now on, Faye will be more inclined to ask Bubbles for that sort of help.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #116 on: 25 Apr 2019, 04:15 »

Do you think any use of substance is abuse? Honest question, no innuendo intended.

I didn't say abuse, I said use. There is a difference. But a consistent trait of Tai throughout the comic is that she has and does use drugs, with pot being her drug of choice.

What I was previously trying to get at was the idea that Tai might not necessarily think of Faye as an alcoholic or an addict, simply because they aren't particularly close, it might not occur to Tai that for Faye "just one drink" is anything but that.

Tai Fanboi

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • DeadWinter
« Reply #117 on: 25 Apr 2019, 04:41 »

I doubt it.  Tai has been a few things in the comic but she's never forced anything on anyone as far as I can recall.  She's in the circle of friends, she's assumingly talked to Dora about Faye when they had issues with her being fired from the coffee shop and why Dora had to do it, she assumingly knows about Faye quitting alcohol and trying to stop.  It's at this point though, none of them but Bubbles know about the apprehension Faye has about being in the bar.  I'd more expect Dolphin guy to show up and try to get her to drink more than Tai would.   

Tai has always struck me more as someone who's experienced in many different forms of mood altering substances, but she's not a pusher trying to get others to join her in her endeavors, but if your on the same ride of your own free will and want to spend some time traveling together?  Well that's cool.
Oh god, I should've drunk more so I wouldn't remember that.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #118 on: 25 Apr 2019, 06:32 »

Slow to respond to the survey and all the good ones I thought of off the top of my head were already posted so how about a subway station in Toronto
NSFW
(click to show/hide)
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #119 on: 25 Apr 2019, 06:58 »

It seemed entirely possible that Tai was calling her friends because Dora said NO and wanted to drown her sorrows... *shrug*

dutchrvl

« Reply #120 on: 25 Apr 2019, 07:14 »

I was actually wondering if Tai would act as a tempter, leading to drama betwene her and Dora when Dora realizes that Tai is trying to persuade Faye to imbibe.

Might just be thinking that because it seems to have been a while since drama.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #121 on: 25 Apr 2019, 07:33 »

I have a similar issue. I just sit there thinking 'you do this to yourself by choice. And it costs you so much money.'

Well, yeah. For most people it is fun
I drink approximately once a month, or less... It's not a scheduled event*. Last few times I didn't even get buzzed - just had a couple of tasty beers with dinner.

* New Year's Eve is the only "scheduled event" for drinking, and I don't get fucked up any more; I just get a heavy buzz on. I'll be fifty next month and realized several years ago that I can't drink like a young man any more.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

chason

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #122 on: 25 Apr 2019, 08:06 »

I drink approximately once a month, or less... It's not a scheduled event*. Last few times I didn't even get buzzed - just had a couple of tasty beers with dinner.

* New Year's Eve is the only "scheduled event" for drinking, and I don't get fucked up any more; I just get a heavy buzz on. I'll be fifty next month and realized several years ago that I can't drink like a young man any more.

In my experience young people don't know how to drink. They mistake the end result as the goal instead of enjoying the journey.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #123 on: 25 Apr 2019, 08:35 »

I'm not worried about any person trying to wreck Faye's sobriety, but does the name Pavlov ring a bell? Faye is around other people drinking, seeing liquor, hearing clinks and orders, and worst of all having her sense of smell go direct into her limbic system.

On her side, she has Bubbles, and perhaps the bartender if someone in the party was savvy enough to say "this is our designated driver".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #124 on: 25 Apr 2019, 09:02 »

does the name Pavlov ring a bell?

I'm salivating, now...

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #125 on: 25 Apr 2019, 09:07 »

I think Faye will be ok. There are many people caring for her well-being in that bar, and Faye drinking booze seems really unlikely. If she landed in a bar all by herself, it would be a different story entirely.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #126 on: 25 Apr 2019, 09:15 »

As long as Bubbles is present, there will be no drinking by Faye. For two reasons: Faye doesn’t want to disappoint Bubbles, if anyone tries to pressure Faye into drinking they will quickly find a very large robot looming over them in the most intimidating fashion imaginable. We’ve seen that Bubbles is very protective of her humans, and  Faye is by far the most important human in her life.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #127 on: 25 Apr 2019, 09:25 »

does the name Pavlov ring a bell?

I'm salivating, now...

Nonononono - when the bell rings, you have to feed the dog!
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #128 on: 25 Apr 2019, 09:45 »

Especially when the dog rings the bell.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

OldGoat

« Reply #129 on: 25 Apr 2019, 10:36 »

I can walk by the booze with no problem.  Maple bars, apple fritters, and powdered sugar doughnut holes, OTOH, take every iota of will power I can muster to pass up.

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #130 on: 25 Apr 2019, 19:51 »

New comic up!
Let the awkwardness ensue.
And the look on Bubble's face.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #131 on: 25 Apr 2019, 21:17 »

I think Jeph does facial expressions very well.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #132 on: 25 Apr 2019, 21:43 »

I'm actually wondering about the fact that no one seems to be drinking.  I understand not wanting to make Faye uncomfortable, but aren't they worried they'll get kicked out?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #133 on: 25 Apr 2019, 22:17 »

I'm actually wondering about the fact that no one seems to be drinking.  I understand not wanting to make Faye uncomfortable, but aren't they worried they'll get kicked out?

As long as they order something I don't see why not buying any alcoholic beverages should be an issue.  It's difficult to tell from the background, but it might be a bar & grill. 

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #134 on: 25 Apr 2019, 23:12 »

It's amazing how quickly sweet can turn into embarrassing, isn't it? :-P Seriously, though, just how long will Dora and Tai be not safe for outdoors because of the intensity of their feelings? I suspect that the others may need to think of locking them into their apartment until they get it out of their systems! It may take a while. :-D

Both today's and yesterday's strip are wonderful in how Jeph is doing contrasting otherwise-identical panels to communicate the characters' feelings and reactions. Once again, I think it's lovely how Bubbles isn't coming out of physical contact with Faye because she's so determined to support her. That said, it's interesting that she has a subconscious reaction to tension or embarrassment; notice that her grip tightens in panel 4 in both today's and yesterday's strip. I do hope she doesn't accidentally bruise Faye's shoulder!
~~~~

cybersmurf

« Reply #135 on: 25 Apr 2019, 23:26 »

Is it just me or does that place look rather empty?
They're probably either really early in a bar, or at a bar or diner at a rather off hour....
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #136 on: 26 Apr 2019, 02:39 »

I assumed this was because the past two comics took place over a period of like ten seconds since they all arrived to meet the happy couple.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #137 on: 26 Apr 2019, 08:03 »

Yesterday: people at one side of the room being jerks

Today: people at the other side of the room being jerks

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #138 on: 26 Apr 2019, 11:24 »

I'm not saying I have been guilty of the same faux pas as Dora and Tai, but I'm not not saying it.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #139 on: 26 Apr 2019, 11:30 »

I'm not saying I have been guilty of the same faux pas as Dora and Tai, but I'm not not saying it.

I'm definitely guilty of this, I have definitely been terrible for it.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #140 on: 26 Apr 2019, 15:18 »

Get a room, you two!
stePH
--

OldGoat

« Reply #141 on: 26 Apr 2019, 15:35 »

I assumed this was because the past two comics took place over a period of like ten seconds since they all arrived to meet the happy couple.
Yup.  Beverages may even have been ordered but have not yet arrived.  An experienced barkeep might recognize what's going on and tactfully delay delivery until just before they need glasses to raise.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #142 on: 26 Apr 2019, 18:27 »

In my experience young people don't know how to drink. They mistake the end result as the goal instead of enjoying the journey.
You know, I've never really thought about it before, but I think you've got it exactly right!
stePH
--

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #143 on: 26 Apr 2019, 20:53 »

CuddleFace Claire is Best ClaireFace Ever!
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #144 on: 26 Apr 2019, 23:25 »

Get a room, you two!

They've just come from their room! I'm guessing that they just left it too soon!
~~~~

jmsr

• Plantmonster
« Reply #145 on: 28 Apr 2019, 22:12 »

What I'm really waiting for: Was Cosmo's owner found or not? That cliffhanger is killing me...

I'm pretty sure that COSMO belongs to SPOOKYBOT.  That borzoi (https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3879) looks like the dogs here (https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3418).

I dunno why Spooky sent her in; probably as another way of getting in with this group of friends because as we've since established, they're lonely (https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3924).

netcat

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #146 on: 30 Apr 2019, 04:23 »

Ditto on the I-don't-like-being-drunk train.

For me, most beers taste vile (anything not derived solely from fruit), and being drunk is more frustrating than fun. My inhibitors go up, yet I still get the impaired balance and motor skills. On the taste front, most mixed drinks and hard liquors are okay, but I'm "pretty picky" since I don't do anything bitter.

Your reaction to alcohol seems to be exactly like mine, the more I drink the more inhibited and quiet I become, which is saying alot considering I'm a 100% introvert with avoidant issues to begin with. I've never gotten to the fun part of "being drunk" if you don't count losing fine motor control as the fun part (can't grok why one would impair themselves on purpose, either, if not as ritual sacrifice). I'm not really sure whether I've actually ever been drunk in the classical sense.

Except taste-wise I like everything bitter, very much. Which is why gin is my go-to in situations where not drinking is socially awkward. At least it doesn't put me to sleep like wine does.  I can handle quite a lot of gin with no visible effect at all whereas 3 glasses of wine and it feels like overdosing on Xanax.  But I can't stand beer, either. All beer smells and tastes vile to me and not because of the bitter component at all. People have tried getting me to sample kriek saying oh it tastes like fruit, not like beer at all, but nope. Still beer, only with fruit. Seems like criminal waste of fruit.

And to get back on topic, I would very much like to know what Bubbles sees when she's sniffing the juniper extract.

Gyrre

« Reply #147 on: 04 May 2019, 17:21 »

I can't do wine because of the taste.

I know it's literally rotten fruit, but it tastes like rotten fruit. All of it. Even "sweet" wines are bitter to me. One of my cousins is the same way and has pretty similar tastes. Which is weird considering that about the only times we saw each other growing up was at relatives' funerals (great uncle, grandma, grandpa, and his father). Living seven-and-a-half hours away from each other isn't ecactly conducive for family get togethers, but there were two times when we did make the trip, and one summer when we met in  the Arbuckle foothills of Oklahoma (roughly halfway).
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #148 on: 04 May 2019, 23:41 »

Put me in the "I never drink… wine" camp as well.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up