THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What arcs or characters would you prefer to see as the focus? (Choose THREE Options)

Marten & Claire
- 3 (2.5%)
Dora & Tai
- 6 (5%)
The Secret Bakery Crew (Jim, Elliot and Renee w. Sam, Roko and Brun guest-starring)
- 9 (7.4%)
Roko and her search for meaning (including Beepatrice, May, SpookyBot & others)
- 15 (12.4%)
Union Robotics (Faye & Bubbles w. Punchbot, Sam & other customers looking in)
- 16 (13.2%)
The Old Apartment (Marten, Faye, Bubbles, Claire & Pintsize)
- 9 (7.4%)
The Voyages of Hannelore
- 20 (16.5%)
Roko, Melon & Elliot's interactions in their apartment complex (with Arthur and SpookyBot looking in)
- 3 (2.5%)
Dale, Marigold, May & Momo's domesticity
- 5 (4.1%)
Back to the Library (Marten, Tai and Momo and possibly Claire, plus the students)
- 2 (1.7%)
Coffee of Doom (Dora, all the barristas and their significant others as well as random customers)
- 8 (6.6%)
Steve & Cossette
- 2 (1.7%)
Penny & Wil
- 4 (3.3%)
The Brun-Elliott-Clinton-Roko axis
- 16 (13.2%)
Other (please specify in comment)
- 3 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4031 - 4035 (24th to 28th June 2019)  (Read 37945 times)

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
Re: WCDT strips 4031 - 4035 (24th to 28th June 2019)
« Reply #100 on: 27 Jun 2019, 14:26 »

May's journey to developing a group of friends has been a long and painful one, hasn't it? I now find myself wondering just when and under what circumstances she'll first say "I love you"?
Visit to a military airfield?
Yup.  She's decide she likes older guys and start dating a C-130 Hercules.

She's a fightergurl, so I can't see her dating a Hercybird. A F4U Corsair, maybe ...
That's just it.  She'll be saying, "He's so, so Herckey.  I don't know whether to swoon or chug a quart of AeroShell W100."

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #101 on: 27 Jun 2019, 18:23 »

Strip is up! 

Of course Spookybot isn’t monitoring you, Roko.  If they were they’d be dressed like you.

I like the pinkish glow of the setting sun.  It makes Spookybot all the more devilish.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #102 on: 27 Jun 2019, 18:40 »

Jeph forgot about the camera's colour temperature setting today.   :evil:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #103 on: 27 Jun 2019, 19:23 »

May's last comment made me *lol*

(Wasn't it Momo who 'sexed' a Magic Love Gentleman doll in her old body?)  :-D
she can also shoot live eels out of her  :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:
https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1298
I would assume that that function isn't part of her new chassis.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #104 on: 27 Jun 2019, 19:25 »

Weirdly I always like seeing Spooky. Dunno why.

Poor Roko. *lol*

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #105 on: 27 Jun 2019, 19:29 »

Weirdly I always like seeing Spooky. Dunno why.
I think it's best summed up by one of Jeph's newspost comments (to the best of my recollection): "Spookybot are awful but also I love them?"

andrybak

• Emoticontraindication
    • How to help out QC wiki
« Reply #106 on: 27 Jun 2019, 19:40 »

Jeph forgot about the camera's colour temperature setting today.   :evil:

I thought my monitor was acting up. Maybe comic is late in the evening, and we see a nice beautiful Northampton sunset?

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #107 on: 27 Jun 2019, 20:56 »

There are those that regard interest on a loan to be theft from the lendee. And, there aee those who consider no interest on a loan to be theft from the lender.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #108 on: 27 Jun 2019, 21:10 »

How is no interest theft? If you get your money back, how are you out anything?
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

cybersmurf

« Reply #109 on: 27 Jun 2019, 21:18 »

May's journey to developing a group of friends has been a long and painful one, hasn't it? I now find myself wondering just when and under what circumstances she'll first say "I love you"?

She's a fightergurl, so I can't see her dating a Hercybird. A F4U Corsair, maybe ...

At this point I have to throw in the A10. Purely for the hiss of the engines, right?
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

SPAZwazza

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #110 on: 27 Jun 2019, 21:22 »

This whole strip looks rose-tinted. It's nice-looking. Is it supposed to be sunset?

OldGoat

« Reply #111 on: 27 Jun 2019, 22:03 »

At this point I have to throw in the A10. Purely for the hiss of the engines, right?
Knowing May, she'd want to try a threesome.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #112 on: 27 Jun 2019, 22:33 »

The logic is that for the time it is being lent,  it's not available for yourself to use, and that the interest is also part payment for the risk of not being paid back. Which is why the interest for high risk loans trends to be higher.

Usury is still considered a sin, but as best I remember, only when there is no collateral, as that's considered basically a firm form of sale and lease back, with intention to buy back. Though I may well misremember.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2019, 00:18 by Cornelius »
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #113 on: 27 Jun 2019, 23:30 »

One of the things that I've noticed about how Jeph has portrayed SpookyBot recently is that he has shown three distinct nodes with noticeably different personalities. Whilst they seem to share knowledge, objectives and behaviour, there are subtly different 'flavours' to their personalities, the inevitable result of the fact that each node has processed unique experiences before 'synching' data with the others. My mental summary of them (and how I identify them) are as follows:
  • Cool Suit - The most willing to use their powers on other beings; comes across as sadistic but I'm not sure if that's a front as they paradoxically also have the strongest sympathy for the innocent victim;
  • Rumpled Shirt - The most strongly ethical and the only node that has robot-style square speech bubbles;
  • Jogger (whom we're seeing today) - The most mischievous and teasing; maybe stands to the feminine side of the androgynous spectrum.
Today's strip also makes me think think that Jeph is confirming my theory that Spookybot was originally an AI surveillance program deployed by the NSA or a similar alphabet organisation that achieved sapience through sheer weight of processing a massive data-flow. Having long since abandoned their previous duties, they're now looking for a purpose for their capabilities but are somewhat hampered by hard-wired paranoia (they were created to 'find enemies' through data monitoring, after all) and the contempt for ordinary minds that seeing all the gibberish on the Internet bred in them.

We definitely seem to be on a path where SpookyBot gets May a new body through illegitimate means - A chassis that likely will have all sorts of weird experimental capabilities that will both fascinate and horrify its new resident, who isn't sure if she wants to be that anthropomimietic!

The only way that occurs to me is that inflation is a thing. The buying power of any arbitrary amount of money is always declining so, a 1:1 repayment, especially over a long period of time, is effectively returning a smaller amount of purchasing power than you were given.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #114 on: 28 Jun 2019, 02:39 »

The only way that occurs to me is that inflation is a thing. The buying power of any arbitrary amount of money is always declining so, a 1:1 repayment, especially over a long period of time, is effectively returning a smaller amount of purchasing power than you were given.

But the loan doesn't cause the loss; if you'd kept the money yourself you would have experienced the same fall in purchasing power.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #115 on: 28 Jun 2019, 02:56 »

On the other hand, if you'd kept the money, then you could have used it to invest in your business or other, and used the purchasing power it had at that time. Arguably, if you invest it in your business, that could have a return that negates the fall i n purchasing power.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #116 on: 28 Jun 2019, 06:31 »

Funny thing is that if it was a book or a hammer then the lending takes on a whole different connotation to the CA$H centrist mind.
It is how Libraries work and most times friends, family and neighbours.

I'm more a Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt fan myself.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #117 on: 28 Jun 2019, 06:36 »

What's not to like about a fighter built around a monster of a Gatling cannon?
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #118 on: 28 Jun 2019, 06:37 »

Opportunity cost and inflation?

Personally, I'm not opposed to the lendee getting some kind of fee (on top of adjustment for inflation) - I'm a bit baffled how little we talk about whether it's a good idea that the fee is growing exponentially ...
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #119 on: 28 Jun 2019, 06:52 »

It's as ugly as sin and has the performance of a particularly obese bovine. Heck, the design makes a virtue of its ability to soak up ground fire because it can't dodge!

Give me something sleek like a YF-23 or a Su-27 any day! 8-)
~~~~

TheEvilDog

« Reply #120 on: 28 Jun 2019, 07:01 »

That said, the Warthog is one of the most reliable aircraft in the world. Between its introduction and its projected retirement in 2040, that cannon with wings will have nearly 70 years of service. I mean, no one is suggesting the Ca 60 Noviplano.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #121 on: 28 Jun 2019, 07:04 »

(Wasn't it Momo who 'sexed' a Magic Love Gentleman doll in her old body?)  :-D
I have no recollection of this. Cite?
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

alc40

• Emoticontraindication

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #123 on: 28 Jun 2019, 07:49 »

Thank you, Alc40. :D

Eternal_Newbie

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #124 on: 28 Jun 2019, 08:10 »

Funny thing is that if it was a book or a hammer then the lending takes on a whole different connotation to the CA$H centrist mind.
It is how Libraries work and most times friends, family and neighbours.

Thing is libraries charge late fines. And I've stated thinking I need to start charging them as well.
"Microsoft Kills Santa Claus" - The Register

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #125 on: 28 Jun 2019, 08:23 »

Exactly. And even then, there's a large difference between lending a hammer or a book and lending a large amount of money. For one, if it doesn't come back, I'll have to work a lot longer to replace it.
Secondly, it's going to take a lot longer before you'll see it again, and good luck to you if you should need it in the mean time.

And that's not even getting into the point that for most people, there is a cost to lending the money, in taking it out of their savings or investments.

« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2019, 08:49 by Cornelius »

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #126 on: 28 Jun 2019, 08:36 »

I have to say... I'm a bit disappointed with ol' Spookybot, here.
It's taking away all of the implied mysticism and intrigue by painting them as just another branch of organised crime.

(Also... Roko's being a bit Hypocritajudgey, is she not? Considering her first thought in this particular saga was to dig up the dirt on May's boss...?)

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #127 on: 28 Jun 2019, 08:57 »

The only excuse, and it's not very firm ground, is that Roko was applying pressure that might get May did, whereas SB is suggesting things that might land May back in Robojail.

As for taking away the mystery; somehow I feel that they're not another branch of organised crime, but they they might enjoy the thrill of it, as a way to pass the time. But then, I imagine, they'd rather go for an elaborate physical burglary, as posing a bit more of a challenge.

Edit: this touch screen in warm weather is really demonstrating why I like actual buttons to press.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2019, 09:04 by Cornelius »

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #128 on: 28 Jun 2019, 09:08 »

I don't think SpookyBot is suggesting crime in the strictly moral/ethical term. They're just noting that simply rewriting some chassis construction, delivery and assignment dockets so that it goes to May would be infinitely more efficient than struggling with the bureaucracy and, due to said bureaucracy's tendency to not question paperwork, it will have a higher likelihood of having no negative repercussions for all persons involved.

I strongly suspect that SpookyBot does not have any intrinsic respect for 'law' beyond its value in preventing destructive social anarchy and values 'efficiency' far more. Another challenge for Roko's friendship with them, I suspect.
~~~~

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #129 on: 28 Jun 2019, 09:11 »

Fair enough, from an efficiency point of view. On the other hand, what I wanted to get at was that they might have liked the idea of wacky, less than legal, aventures with their new friend. Only to turn out to have burgled themselves, for instance.

mahlernut

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #130 on: 28 Jun 2019, 09:14 »

Something about Jeph's post made me think: what if Spookybot was originally that nightmarish paperclip "helper" from that old iteration of Word (97?).  I could see it achieving sapience, a bad attitude, and a baseline disdain for everyone that hated it whenever it popped up on the screen.

Also, the tint to today's strip reminded me immediately of the US release of Spirited Away  :laugh:

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #131 on: 28 Jun 2019, 09:18 »

You know, I actually rather liked Clippy, back then.

Also, welcome!

mahlernut

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #132 on: 28 Jun 2019, 09:24 »

Also, welcome!

Hopefully you'd be safe from Spooky's wrath then   :laugh:

And thanks!  Many years of silent watching around here.  The Clippy thing seemed really important to share, though   :-D

Gyrre

« Reply #133 on: 28 Jun 2019, 10:23 »

It's not. Those folks probably make up ~5%of the population at a guess. They're the sort of people who can't fathom working on something for free for the pure enjoyment of it (like fanfic writers and video game modders).

Excessively wealthy people tend to have a rather skewed view of reality.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Kiloku

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #134 on: 28 Jun 2019, 10:30 »

Is this comic tinted red for everyone or just me? I even went back to check previous comics.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #135 on: 28 Jun 2019, 10:55 »

Is this comic tinted red for everyone or just me? I even went back to check previous comics.

It's tinted red because the encounter is at local sunset.
~~~~

KB

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #136 on: 28 Jun 2019, 11:14 »

Sunset doesn't make things turn pink.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #137 on: 28 Jun 2019, 11:18 »

It does if you mix it right.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

TheEvilDog

« Reply #138 on: 28 Jun 2019, 11:19 »

Depends on where you are and what time of year it is. August/September can have pink sunsets.

OldGoat

« Reply #139 on: 28 Jun 2019, 12:04 »

(Also... Roko's being a bit Hypocritajudgey, is she not? Considering her first thought in this particular saga was to dig up the dirt on May's boss...?)
But it wasn't.  Roko's first thought was to run a bluff without digging up anything. 

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #140 on: 28 Jun 2019, 12:40 »

It's as ugly as sin and has the performance of a particularly obese bovine. Heck, the design makes a virtue of its ability to soak up ground fire because it can't dodge!

Well, to be fair, it is not a fighter, it is a ground support platform, hence the "A" in it's designation, A-10, ie, attack.  I was lucky enough to have a summer job on a fighter base patching the runways as a teenager.  There was a squadron of A-10s visiting for an exercise.  I always found it so cool that the things would be right on top of you before you heard them, and they sounded like a turbocharged hair dryer when you finally did hear them.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #141 on: 28 Jun 2019, 12:49 »

You may not have seen a western Massachusetts sunset. They can be pretty spectacular. We’ve had a run of amazing sunsets the past few days, partly due to a forest fire in Canada that’s been sending smoke our way.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #142 on: 28 Jun 2019, 12:50 »

Is this another version of Roko's Basilisk?
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #143 on: 28 Jun 2019, 13:09 »

Well, to be fair, it is not a fighter, it is a ground support platform, hence the "A" in it's designation, A-10, ie, attack.  I was lucky enough to have a summer job on a fighter base patching the runways as a teenager.  There was a squadron of A-10s visiting for an exercise.  I always found it so cool that the things would be right on top of you before you heard them, and they sounded like a turbocharged hair dryer when you finally did hear them.

Just so.

I also never got why people called her ugly - to me, she always looked like the badass big brother of the ASK-13 I had trained on ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schleicher_ASK_13

mahlernut

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #144 on: 28 Jun 2019, 13:47 »

Is this another version of Roko's Basilisk?

Spookybot's Chimera?

DashaBlade

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #145 on: 28 Jun 2019, 20:40 »

I have to say... I'm a bit disappointed with ol' Spookybot, here.
It's taking away all of the implied mysticism and intrigue by painting them as just another branch of organised crime.

Huh. I didn't get an organized crime vibe, more of a secret government dirty tricks squad type vibe.

Of course, there are those who believe that government(s) itself (themselves) is (are) an organized crime syndicate, but that's a whole 'nother discussion... :P

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #146 on: 29 Jun 2019, 08:06 »

Spookybot wants a friend. And there may be people out there who would be happy to have them as a friend. I'm just trying to figure out who they might be...
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #147 on: 29 Jun 2019, 11:15 »

People attracted to danger, people attracted to power, and people hoping the friendship would pay off in some illegitimate way.

EDIT:

How much would a zero-interest loan really help someone like May? She'd still have the stigma of a conviction and still face prejudice against robots. She'd then be faced with making payments on a not-cheap chassis out of minimum wage or not much better.

At least it would solve the credit rating problem and free her from the ball and chain of end-of-life repairs.
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2019, 16:49 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #148 on: 30 Jun 2019, 00:12 »

It does more often than you probably think. Your brain is just awfully good at adjusting for different colour temperatures and maintaining things at a constant colour appearance. Today's comic looked a bit odd because you wouldn't have noticed the colour change in person unless either you are an artist or creative who is particularly good at noticing that kind of thing, or you take a photo with the camera set for the wrong colour temperature (hence my quip earlier in the thread).

Colour perception is pretty weird.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

cybersmurf

« Reply #149 on: 30 Jun 2019, 03:43 »

The human perception is full of filters, both voluntary and involuntary (not even talking about which ones you are aware of).
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up