THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Hanners and Winslow are home! What's first on the agenda?

Hanners getting used to Mr. Burny again.
- 6 (16.7%)
The Spiders. THIS time, it's personal.
- 2 (5.6%)
Winslow de-scorpioning himself.
- 10 (27.8%)
Absolutely nothing.
- 10 (27.8%)
Purple Monkey Dishwashers.
- 2 (5.6%)
Something completely Different.
- 5 (13.9%)
Crowing chromium crone
- 1 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4061-4065 (5-9 August 2019)  (Read 22507 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: WCDT strips 4061-4065 (5-9 August 2019)
« Reply #100 on: 08 Aug 2019, 01:36 »

Anyone want to know how Fairy Girl really explained the situation to Faye? The answer is in this strip!

On the flip side, I've got to say that this strip always made me feel better about Fairy Girl. Anyone who is that focussed on bringing the sort of joy that we see on Emily's face in panels 7 & 8 is a good egg in my book!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #101 on: 08 Aug 2019, 04:54 »

Anyone who is that focussed on bringing the sort of joy that we see on Emily's face in panels 7 & 8 is a good egg in my book!
Yes, though Claire is clearly not amused at FGs antics even if Emily is delighted.  I'm not against FGs little hobby - heck, we should all have a hobby that makes others happy.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #102 on: 08 Aug 2019, 05:04 »

Anyone want to know how Fairy Girl really explained the situation to Faye? The answer is in this strip!
I'm still of the opinion that Fairy Girl is still saying 'lo le la lu lu', but Emily is the only person (other than Faye, apparently) who can understand her.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #103 on: 08 Aug 2019, 05:31 »

Is it me or does Faye look particularly buxom in the last panel? Marigold-level pretty much...

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?
« Reply #104 on: 08 Aug 2019, 09:07 »

Yes.  Compare panel 3 of 4053.  But really, Faye bust size has varied quite a bit across the strips life, so it's not that unusual.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #105 on: 08 Aug 2019, 09:47 »

That reindeer is surprisingly cool about being held. Bubbles has a really soothing 'bedside manner'?

Fairy Girl's body language makes her speech superfluous.  (  and when she claims she's not a fairy she's obviously lying  )
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #106 on: 08 Aug 2019, 19:11 »

New strip, in which Miss Ellicot-Chatham is once more sorely vexed.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #107 on: 08 Aug 2019, 19:13 »

*shudders visibly*

And THAT is why I don't like coffee shop coffee. You have no idea how well maintained the equipment is.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #108 on: 08 Aug 2019, 19:57 »

But the....FLAVOUR!!!

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #109 on: 08 Aug 2019, 20:32 »

But the....FLAVOUR!!!

But... the possible illness!

Raptorofwar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #110 on: 08 Aug 2019, 20:56 »

Someone reminded me of the girl that was eaten by an Allosaurus.
Jeph, draw an Allosaurus. You'd BETTER put an Allosaurus in one of your comics.
Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.
-David Gerrold

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #111 on: 08 Aug 2019, 21:02 »

But the....FLAVOUR!!!

Naw, the steam's hot enough to scald the bacteria to death.  If it can survive that, it's not going to give a rat's about soap.

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #112 on: 08 Aug 2019, 21:10 »

Which raises an interesting point. Union Robotics is already catching on to the point that a fairy girl who sees a crashed synthetic on the street thinks of UR first. That's unusually fast for a startup but they deserve it.
Or maybe they were nearby and she saw the sign. I can't imagine she'd want to be dragging him any further than necessary.

On today's strip - I'm somewhat surprised that Dora told the truth instead of saying "oh, uh... a couple of weeks ago. Definitely."

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #113 on: 08 Aug 2019, 22:08 »

Someone reminded me of the girl that was eaten by an Allosaurus.
Jeph, draw an Allosaurus. You'd BETTER put an Allosaurus in one of your comics.

He did, but I believe that strip is still Patreon-only.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #114 on: 08 Aug 2019, 23:23 »

Wow! Hannelore has come a long way! Instead of freaking out, she's just plain annoyed at how irresponsible Dora is being! It is irresponsibility too; not just because of customer and staff health either. It only takes one decent Public Health Department inspection and Dora is suddenly looking for a new business!

This has been Dora's vice for a while, though. All throughout the history of Questionable Content, there has been an indication that Dora simply isn't a great fan of doing much; she usually has to be badgered into even the smallest and most necessary tasks. I don't think it's laziness; it's more of a case that, if she doesn't want to do something, she won't do it and retroactively find excuses for not doing so.

On today's strip - I'm somewhat surprised that Dora told the truth instead of saying "oh, uh... a couple of weeks ago. Definitely."

I don't  think that Dora trusts her ability to lie her way past Hannelore's hygiene sixth sense. Besides, lying would require that there is a problem for her to lie about; I genuinely think that she'd convinced herself keeping the equipment clean isn't a problem.
~~~~

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #115 on: 08 Aug 2019, 23:57 »

But the....FLAVOUR!!!

What germs or bacteria could survive boiling hot water?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #116 on: 09 Aug 2019, 00:07 »

But the....FLAVOUR!!!

Some bacteria love boiling water as a breeding environment. They're not the sort of thing that you'd be expecting to find in a small-town independent coffee shop unless Dora had been immersing her equipment in geothermal pools at Yellowstone.

No, it isn't the stuff in the pot that's the problem. It's the stuff that bred in the mess on the outside, didn't get boiled and gets transferred over when you're pouring into the customer's cup.
~~~~

dutchrvl

« Reply #117 on: 09 Aug 2019, 05:29 »

*shudders visibly*

And THAT is why I don't like coffee shop coffee. You have no idea how well maintained the equipment is.

Meh, my experience is that the vast majority of coffee shops take good care of their equipment, including cleaning. If anything because it increases the life span of the equipment.

Frankly I am more worried about the coffee-making instruments in my own apartment  :mrgreen:

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?
« Reply #118 on: 09 Aug 2019, 05:35 »

No, it isn't the stuff in the pot that's the problem. It's the stuff that bred in the mess on the outside, didn't get boiled and gets transferred over when you're pouring into the customer's cup.
Thank you for giving me yet another reason to never drink coffee.  (Yes, I'm one of those people.) 

I like the smell in small doses, but the taste is nasty.  I don't like bitter flavors, and never have.  I've trained myself to like broccoli, and the occasional raw brussel sprout (cooked activates my texture phobia), but that's about it.

oddtail

« Reply #119 on: 09 Aug 2019, 05:35 »

Some bacteria love boiling water as a breeding environment. They're not the sort of thing that you'd be expecting to find in a small-town independent coffee shop unless Dora had been immersing her equipment in geothermal pools at Yellowstone.

I'm aware of bacteria that can survive boiling water, even for extended periods of time, but as a living environment where they can actually thrive? I'd be thankful for a citation or an example of a bacteria species. Bacteria usually survive harsh conditions by forming spores, I'd be suprised (though not shocked) to find one that can actually conduct metabollic processes "business as usual" style in 100 degrees C.

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?
« Reply #120 on: 09 Aug 2019, 05:38 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermophile    They can live in garden-variety water heaters...

dutchrvl

« Reply #121 on: 09 Aug 2019, 05:49 »

Thank you for giving me yet another reason to never drink coffee.  (Yes, I'm one of those people.) 

I like the smell in small doses, but the taste is nasty.  I don't like bitter flavors, and never have.  I've trained myself to like broccoli, and the occasional raw brussel sprout (cooked activates my texture phobia), but that's about it.

Ehm, there is really no need for coffee to be that bitter anyway, and with milk and/or sugar it'll be pretty much completely gone.
I love coffee, but I am like you when it comes to bitter tastes; okay with broccoli, strong dislike for brussel sprouts, can barely stand arugula, etc.

Perhaps it's just the specific coffee taste and not any bitterness that you dislike?

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #122 on: 09 Aug 2019, 05:55 »

But the....FLAVOUR!!!

Do your shoes stick to the bathroom floor?
If 'yes', dump it and run.

EDIT

*snip*
I'm aware of bacteria that can survive boiling water, even for extended periods of time, but as a living environment where they can actually thrive? I'd be thankful for a citation or an example of a bacteria species. Bacteria usually survive harsh conditions by forming spores, I'd be suprised (though not shocked) to find one that can actually conduct metabollic processes "business as usual" style in 100 degrees C.
Many gram negative strains are capable of forming what is called a 'capsule' which protects a portion of the bacterium from stressful environments (like boiling water or dehydration). Once the capsule reaches ideal conditions (like your mouth or bloodstream), it sheds the capsule to begin proliferating once more.
One must rupture the capsule to prevent infection. This is usually done throw a combination of heat and pressure and is the exact reason why jelly is made with a pressure-cooker and hospitals use autoclaves.
« Last Edit: 09 Aug 2019, 06:09 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #123 on: 09 Aug 2019, 06:01 »

Quote from: Wingy link=topic=34473
.msg1431457#msg1431457 date=1565354110

The trick to broccoli is to either eat it raw and dipped in ranch or steamed and drowned in cheese/cheese sauce. Brussels sprouts are best sautéed in olive oil with some garlic. But --if you insist on eating them raw -- a bit of nutmeg helps reduce the bitterness.

I also hate all things bitter (beer is the actual worst for me).
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

oddtail

« Reply #124 on: 09 Aug 2019, 06:02 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermophile    They can live in garden-variety water heaters...

Thanks for the link! Didn't even think to look it up using this term. I'm a dumbass.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #125 on: 09 Aug 2019, 06:06 »

Regarding Brussel Sprouts - cut off the hard stem and make an X incision, doesn't have be too deep. Then steam them for a few minutes, then roast them with a little sunflower oil, chopped red onion and/or bacon (that's optional).

Far nicer than just boiling them.

cybersmurf

« Reply #126 on: 09 Aug 2019, 06:34 »

I'm getting a bit of "as much as we try to avoid it, we become our parents" may be happening to Hanners...
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #127 on: 09 Aug 2019, 07:00 »

I'm getting a bit of "as much as we try to avoid it, we become our parents" may be happening to Hanners...

This is nothing new for Hannelore.  She always worries about this stuff, but not as much or with extreme reactions since her journey of self discovery.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #128 on: 09 Aug 2019, 09:54 »

There's those living around deep-sea hydrothermal "smoker" vents.  The water's scalding hot, it just doesn't boil due to the pressure.  (However, those guys might not survive up here without that intense pressure to hold their little germy guts in.)

teh pwn queen

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Capiam vos in obscurum
    • Just fucking click it
« Reply #129 on: 09 Aug 2019, 15:11 »

OK, kinda in love with Dora's "Aw heck" t-shirt and would absolutely buy it if it was in Jeph's merch store. Bring that fantasy into the RL, pl0x.
I haven't logged in on the forum in literally 10 years and my website URL was still my MySpace profile...

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #130 on: 10 Aug 2019, 03:31 »

As someone who runs a coffee shop and has taken the requisite courses on food safety, this strip makes me cringe.

First of all, there are microbes that survive just fine in boiling water, but they aren't generally the ones you need to worry about causing infectious diseases. The ones that can live in those environments usually need to live in those environments. The ones we do need to worry about mostly die off at temperatures above 140of. A decent batch brewer will hold 195-205 brewing temperature for 4-6 minutes. Mr. Coffee won't do it, but something from Bunn or Fetco definitely will. Dora's customers probably won't get sick. Probably.

As Gyrre pointed out, many pathogens can create spores or capsules to protect part of the colony in the case of boiling water. This is usually not a problem in food service because the combination of high heat in the preparation process and the acid in our stomachs kill enough of the pathogens that our immune system can easily deal with the rest. But immune compromised people may not be so lucky. That's why washing and sanitizing are so important. Washing removes soils where pathogens hide and a chemical sanitizer (we use quaternary ammonium) kills 99.9% of surface microbes. That's enough to keep people safe when drinking my coffee. Sterilization (99.99% reduction of microbes you get from an autoclave) isn't generally necessary. I wouldn't trust equipment that clearly hasn't been cleaned, though, no matter how hot the brewer gets.

But the worst part for me is imagining what that batch drip must taste like. A lot of that brown muck is going to be oil and that oil is going to be rancid. That brew basket is going to give the coffee a world of bitter, unpleasant flavors. It doesn't matter what she's roasting, all people are going to taste is that basket. If she's not going to take her brewing seriously, she might as well save some money and throw some Folgers in there instead.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #131 on: 10 Aug 2019, 07:48 »

Good points pecoros7.  My experience with brewing coffee is from the perspective of a convenience store worker so it’s not all that sophisticated, but the problem is more about taste than cleanliness.  That being said there are people who buy coffee beans that were crapped out of cats so Dora might be right.  Some people will buy anything that sounds sophisticated. 

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #132 on: 10 Aug 2019, 08:16 »

He really needs to talk to someone.

Well, Pintsize likely knows he's back. I expect he'll drop in.

Knowing Pintsize, that could be quite literal...

Winslow: "Exactly how long have you been duct-taped to our ceiling?!?"
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?
« Reply #133 on: 11 Aug 2019, 11:55 »

Perhaps it's just the specific coffee taste and not any bitterness that you dislike?
I like the smell most of the time.  It's the taste, which I perceive as bitter no matter how amended.  Coffee flavored candies and tira misu (however that's spelled) I find vile.  Just one of my particular foibles I suppose.  My wife drinks coffee regularly, but I don't hold that against her until she has to buy it instead of make it at home (I object to the price paid compared to home brewed).

As far as vegetables go, I was raised eating many home-grown veggies raw.  My parents tried to get us to eat cooked veggies, and that's when I discovered I can't stand the slimey-in-my-mouth feel, no matter what the taste (my mother has many strong points; cooking is not one of them).  So I've gotten good at steaming and substituting and making two versions (with and without veggies) of many dishes, and I really don't mind.  But when I go to a restaurant, I'm a fussy eater, for sure.  So I'll eat things like zucchini (well, small amounts anyway) raw, but as soon as it starts to wilt in some dish, fuhg-ged-aboud-it!  Like I said - just one of my foibles.  Y'all can have my share, I'd really rather starve.  Really.  It saves tossing my cookies at the table, or seriously wanting to.

Beer is the same thing - I liked Bubbles description of IPAs.  Between the bitter from the hops and the fact that I've too many alcoholics in my extended family, plus the fact that I apparently have the gene that allows one to metabolize alcohol at high speed so I don't ever "feel the buzz", well I just avoid alcohol.  I'll have a glass of wine with a meal once in a great while, but that's more about toasting and being sociable than it is about enjoying the liquor.  It's way cheaper to eat out without paying that tab too.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #134 on: 11 Aug 2019, 15:40 »

I like the smell most of the time.  It's the taste, which I perceive as bitter no matter how amended.  Coffee flavored candies and tira misu (however that's spelled) I find vile.  Just one of my particular foibles I suppose.  My wife drinks coffee regularly, but I don't hold that against her until she has to buy it instead of make it at home (I object to the price paid compared to home brewed).

I was just the same a few years back. This might sound odd, but I decided one day to acquire a taste for coffee. Started with mochas, drank them for a while (couldn't stand them at first). Then as they became tolerable, moved to lattes with sugar, then long blacks with sugar, then without, then finally espresso.

An interesting side effect was that there are a few things I used to hate which I now like, including gin and olives.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?
« Reply #135 on: 11 Aug 2019, 17:53 »

OK, kinda in love with Dora's "Aw heck" t-shirt and would absolutely buy it if it was in Jeph's merch store. Bring that fantasy into the RL, pl0x.
Seems pretty similar to the one tee public is selling. 

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #136 on: 12 Aug 2019, 00:38 »

There are very very few vegetables I'd rather eat cooked than raw.  Some of my absolute favorite raw vegetables become inedible when cooked (tomatoes - tomato sauce is fine, but cooked chunks of tomato are gross - cauliflower, spinach).  I haven't tried coffee in years, and have no desire to take it up... tea and hot chocolate fulfill my Hot Drinks Need, soda fulfills my Caffeination need (with bonus carbonation!).  Coffee-flavored things, though?  Meh.  No thanks.  Cider good, beer bad has been my experience.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #137 on: 12 Aug 2019, 06:26 »

soda fulfills my Caffeination need (with bonus carbonation!).

That was in fact a big motivating factor behind taking up coffee. Carbonated sodas are pretty bad for your teeth - even the sugar free ones. And the less said about the sugary ones the better.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Wingy

• Is my cape on right?
« Reply #138 on: 13 Aug 2019, 06:02 »

soda fulfills my Caffeination need (with bonus carbonation!).

I don't have a caffienation need - it doesn't affect me for some reason.  Mountain Dew right before bed - no problem!  I'll still zonk out within a few minutes.  I think this is mostly because I start my day with a stretch/exercise routine, so I'm already revved up before I head for work.

That was in fact a big motivating factor behind taking up coffee. Carbonated sodas are pretty bad for your teeth - even the sugar free ones. And the less said about the sugary ones the better.

I actually prefer the real sugar sodas, and I drink about 1-2 a month.  The HFCS in soda runs right through my system: drink one and within 30 minutes, it's urgently time for a break.  Real sugar soda doesn't do that to me; go figure.  Once I figured that out, I started compensating by getting just water when I'm in an area/situation with little/no bathroom access.  I might have one HFCS-soda a month; probably less.  I only buy real sugar soda for me for home, and I'll take one of my stash with me if we're going to party at someone elses' place.  The number of people willing to swipe a Throwback Mountain Dew - even when labelled with my name and a whole cooler full of other flavors is freely available - is way too high, so I have to keep a close eye on it...   :-\  :x  :?  :-o :police:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up