THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Mandalorian  (Read 39526 times)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Re: The Mandalorian
« Reply #100 on: 27 Nov 2020, 16:03 »

I was looking forward to seeing Ashoka Tano but I felt like today's episode was kind of underwhelming even with that
(click to show/hide)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #101 on: 27 Nov 2020, 20:21 »

I actually loved this episode. It kept in the western/samurai feel of the show, gave us backstory on a key character and had 3 huge reveals:

(click to show/hide)

I was whelmed, and hyped for where we're going.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #102 on: 29 Nov 2020, 11:35 »

So I'm just watching Ep1, Season 1 and ... I'm pretty sure Werner Herzog is consciously exaggerating certain 'German' mannerisms in his pronounciation. It's actually a bit grating, tbh. I'm wondering how this sounds to Anglophones? Could it be that he does that because he thinks this sounds ... badass ... to Anglo ears?

To me, it just sounds ... well, like someone consciously exaggerating stereotypically 'German' bad pronounciation habits (or rather, what Anglophones think is a 'typically German' pronounciation). Not threatening. Not intimidating. If anything, it sounds like he badly needs to go to the restroom.
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #103 on: 29 Nov 2020, 13:04 »

So I'm just watching Ep1, Season 1 and ... I'm pretty sure Werner Herzog is consciously exaggerating certain 'German' mannerisms in his pronounciation. It's actually a bit grating, tbh. I'm wondering how this sounds to Anglophones? Could it be that he does that because he thinks this sounds ... badass ... to Anglo ears?

More 'cliche villain,' I think.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #104 on: 29 Nov 2020, 15:50 »

Ok, I'm sold. This is great SW fun.

(Han still drew first, though)

More 'cliche villain,' I think.

Hmmh. Still think like he sounds like he's holdiing in a wee.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2020, 17:38 by Case »
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #105 on: 29 Nov 2020, 17:42 »

I now need to rewatch the episode with this mental image.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #106 on: 29 Nov 2020, 19:15 »

To me, it just sounds ... well, like someone consciously exaggerating stereotypically 'German' bad pronounciation habits (or rather, what Anglophones think is a 'typically German' pronounciation). Not threatening. Not intimidating. If anything, it sounds like he badly needs to go to the restroom.

Is it weird that I didn't get "German" from his pronunciations? Honestly it seems more about his cadence, spoken prose, and enunciation that I just really dig. I could listen to him read the nutritional facts off a bag of chips. Especially in the 7th episode, but that may be more how his lines were written married up with his accent. He does remind me of a bond villain though, and if I didn't know his name was a dead give away of being German I would have thought he was Scandinavian like Mads Mikkelsen. It does seem close to his natural accent from watching him on the Late Night Show with Conan O'Brien and when he played an alien talking about human culture on Rick and Morty.
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2020, 19:25 by LeeC »
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #107 on: 30 Nov 2020, 23:18 »

I mean, to me he definitely did sound like a continental who learned english from another continental, not necessarily German though. Now that I think about it maybe he was trying to sound more Aristocratic about it, being some Imperial and all? And same as Tova, I put it up to riffing on the 'Cliche' villain' approach to accents.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #108 on: 01 Dec 2020, 03:26 »

<snip>
<snip>

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

I now need to rewatch the episode with this mental image.

This is the Way ...
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2020, 23:09 by Case »

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #109 on: 02 Dec 2020, 05:21 »

Yeah, that's just how Werner Herzog sounds, to the point that I always recognize his voice before his face. It's not a thing he did for this character. He was even on Parks and Rec! Spoilers, it's a late episode, but yeah.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #110 on: 02 Dec 2020, 09:13 »

What bugs me a bit about the Disney+ canon: It's not even been half a century and everybody is like' "Hohum Jedi? What's a Jedi? Can you eat it?" Honestly, if I'd been a Jedi Purge survivor like Kenobi, and those ingratiates had forgotten 10.000 years of service in a mere handful of decades, I'd say Fuck Those Fuckers.

YesYes Palpatine 'suppressed talk about the Jedi'. I highly doubt the Empire managed to out-compete the Stasi in terms of snitches per capita.
« Last Edit: 02 Dec 2020, 09:19 by Case »

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #111 on: 02 Dec 2020, 09:25 »

I think that the issue is that so few people actually saw a real force adept in action that they were already part urban myth at the time of the Purge and they were so easily reduced to a tattered and hidden remnant that most people question if they were ever really anything but a bunch of nutty cultists.

Then you run into Anakin Skywalker's apprentice, who is only too pleased to demonstrate why she is the Last Woman Standing from the Clone Wars.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #112 on: 02 Dec 2020, 09:42 »

Really? In 24BBY, a stroppy Padawan with a penchant for loosing his saber can go "This is Jedi business" to a packed bar and everybody goes minding their own - and not even 40 years later, nobody knows what a Jedi is anymore?

Even if Palpatine had found every last record about the Jedi in the entire Galaxy, you'd need to suppress a memory of a major pillar of Galactic society for at least three generations for it to start to die out. And there's species that live considerably longer than humans in that farfaraway Galaxy.

What do you figure how many people had seen Richard Coer de Lion in his lifetime? Or Joan of Arc?

Which makes me wonder - There is a bona fide Jedi Rebellion Hero around in 10ABY. Apparently, everybody knows what they were doing when the second Death Star blew up - but nobody knows that the guy who blew up the first one and who takes half the credit for defeating Palpatine is a Jedi? IIRC, in the EU, Mon Mothma was only too happy to fling her Jedi sibling heroes into everybodies' faces, to reassure the systems of the Republic so they wouldn't go Separatist.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 02 Dec 2020, 10:00 by Case »

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #113 on: 02 Dec 2020, 16:38 »

I think most places that are like, "What's a Jedi," are the Outer Rim where few people are or go

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #114 on: 02 Dec 2020, 19:29 »

I think most places that are like, "What's a Jedi," are the Outer Rim where few people are or go
Pretty much this. Also During the Clone Wars, Republic propaganda down played the deeds of the Jedi and mostly focused on the Clones and other Republic related actions. Post-Jedi Purge there was a huge Imperial propaganda goal to demonize them, in hopes of getting people to flush out and report any survivors. It's one of the reasons why the Rebel Alliance venerated them, as a symbol of the old republic. Which is why they really picked up on using "May the Force be with you" as a phrase. We the audience know very well what a Jedi was and unless you were in the core or mid rim worlds, or actively participated in the Clone Wars with a Jedi around, you may not have heard of them, had a limited understanding of them, or heard what was assumed to be exaggerated stories. The outer rims were pretty lawless and largely ignored by the old republic. The Empire on the other hand made sure their presence was felt everywhere.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #115 on: 04 Dec 2020, 02:59 »

Unless you're in one of the few series of the Extended Universe that didn't get nixxed (Alien Chronicles). Then it's "What's the Force?" while some characters are still Force-sensitive.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #116 on: 04 Dec 2020, 14:30 »

This may be my favorite episode of the Mandalorian so far, until next week maybe

(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: 05 Dec 2020, 19:03 by Blue Kitty »

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #117 on: 04 Dec 2020, 21:38 »

(click to show/hide)
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #118 on: 05 Dec 2020, 08:25 »

[snip]Honestly it seems more about his cadence, spoken prose, and enunciation that I just really dig. I could listen to him read the nutritional facts off a bag of chips.[snip]
I suppose I can see where you're coming from with that. Though, for me, that accolade goes to 'Mr. Shoes' voicing Amaroq.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #119 on: 05 Dec 2020, 08:49 »

Cowboy BeeBop style Mandalorian Season 1 intro

Spoiler from Season 2 Episode 5
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 05 Dec 2020, 12:05 by LeeC »

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #120 on: 05 Dec 2020, 19:04 »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #121 on: 05 Dec 2020, 23:07 »

Ah, I get you now.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #122 on: 12 Dec 2020, 21:34 »

I think episode 7 is the best episode of season 2 so far. Especially with how the prisoner character was handled. Really humanized them.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #123 on: 12 Dec 2020, 22:57 »

Also, nice 'Office Space' reference 😁
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #124 on: 13 Dec 2020, 02:28 »

Relevant Side Note:

Two of the new series announced by Disney+ this week are likely direct spin-offs of The Mandelorian. I'm sure that the golden handcuffs that are being offered to Dave Filloni and Jon Favreau will be impressive to see!
~~~~

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #125 on: 13 Dec 2020, 08:15 »

Also, nice 'Office Space' reference 😁

I genuinely loved that line! I squealed with laughter. Not sure if it was in the script or if he improvised the line, but it was damn good.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #126 on: 15 Dec 2020, 21:09 »

I think episode 7 is the best episode of season 2 so far.
Agreed. After this episode, I hope Mayfeld ends up being the Doug Judy to Mando's Peralta, and shows up once a season. I'd be surprised if that doesn't happen, but I really hope it does.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #127 on: 18 Dec 2020, 20:57 »

I loved the finale. It was great! I went on twitter afterwards and was kind of surprised to see a lot of cynicism towards it. Personally I thought it was fun, intense, and dramatic. I am curious on what they're going to do for season 3 though...

(click to show/hide)

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #128 on: 18 Dec 2020, 21:01 »

I went on twitter afterwards and was kind of surprised to see a lot of cynicism towards it.

I can't say that I am. It seems inevitable.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #129 on: 18 Dec 2020, 22:08 »

It's twitter. Twits are gonna tweet.

(click to show/hide)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #130 on: 19 Dec 2020, 06:53 »

Yeah those are valid nitpicks but some people are treating this season likes its season 8 of GoT. This baffles me.

(click to show/hide)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #131 on: 19 Dec 2020, 09:16 »

Soooo....

(click to show/hide)

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #132 on: 19 Dec 2020, 11:55 »

(click to show/hide)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #133 on: 20 Dec 2020, 05:58 »

Soooo....

I said as much to my wife after the episode. However we don't really know. There's a lot that can happen between now and then.

(click to show/hide)

I am sure Rebels fan are confused about the ending with Bo-Katan though
(click to show/hide)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #134 on: 20 Dec 2020, 06:21 »

Soooo....

(click to show/hide)

For what it's worth...
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2020, 09:54 by BenRG »
~~~~

TheEvilDog

« Reply #135 on: 20 Dec 2020, 13:54 »

Soooo....

I said as much to my wife after the episode. However we don't really know. There's a lot that can happen between now and then.

(click to show/hide)

So I checked the timeline.

(click to show/hide)

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #136 on: 20 Dec 2020, 19:49 »

(click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up