Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do we have free will?

Yes
- 11 (26.8%)
No
- 2 (4.9%)
Yes, but since God is omniscient the outcome of our free choices is already known
- 7 (17.1%)
No, but we should act as though we did
- 13 (31.7%)
Cobranded cobalt kobold
- 8 (19.5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 4171-4175 (6 to 10 Jan 2020)  (Read 25729 times)

Y

• Curry sauce
Re: WCDT 4171-4175 (6 to 10 Jan 2020)
« Reply #150 on: 10 Jan 2020, 18:02 »

Some years ago, I bought a laptop.  I found the damn thing locked.  I had to call the manufacturer and get a password, just so I could access the BIOS to install an operating system!

I would likely just short the little battery so it resets.

It's less polite, too. Pain reflexes are powerful things.
It looked like she's missing out on the whole dimension of pain receptors. The feature would be better if it simulated the pain it would bring. As otherwise you have that feeling of never having to feel responsible for your actions, also imagine Pintsize unable to do 'pap pap pap...'

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #151 on: 10 Jan 2020, 19:29 »

Huh.
Weird how the randomly-chosen poll fits in neatly with the subsequent events...

Apparently, Jeph's answer is: "No"
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #152 on: 10 Jan 2020, 20:02 »

I feel like this plot twist has been introduced purely to give Spookybot something new to do.
There's a simpler solution that doesn't require Spookybot: Roko has the means to support a chassis' maintenance, but wants out of her chassis; May can't afford to support her chassis. If they swap, then May gets a chassis that requires a lot less maintenance, and Roko gets a different chassis (not necessarily better for her, but at this point she may be willing to take the chance).

I think the situation would be worse.  May’s low grade chassis is likely less sensitive and thus Roko would feel constantly numb.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #153 on: 10 Jan 2020, 20:16 »

I have been mentally constructing scenarios where Roko gets a different chassis that she feels comfortable with and May gets Roko’s current one. Not sure how that works though.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #154 on: 10 Jan 2020, 20:22 »

I feel like this plot twist has been introduced purely to give Spookybot something new to do.
There's a simpler solution that doesn't require Spookybot: Roko has the means to support a chassis' maintenance, but wants out of her chassis; May can't afford to support her chassis. If they swap, then May gets a chassis that requires a lot less maintenance, and Roko gets a different chassis (not necessarily better for her, but at this point she may be willing to take the chance).

I think the situation would be worse.  May’s low grade chassis is likely less sensitive and thus Roko would feel constantly numb.
I do seem to recall Roko complaining that the sensors in her current chassis being too sensitive. May’s chassis would probably be too far in the opposite direction, but Roko may be willing to take that chance just to get out of her current situation.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

TheEvilDog

« Reply #155 on: 10 Jan 2020, 20:54 »

Yeah but the problem is that May's chassis is failing apart. Even the mechanic who took a look at it said she would be better off scrapping it rather than throwing good money after bad.

If anything, a chassis swap would likely exacerbate Roko's problems. Imagine being in a body that is literally falling apart and imagine the horror combined with Roko's trauma.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #156 on: 10 Jan 2020, 22:54 »

Some years ago, I bought a laptop.  I found the damn thing locked.  I had to call the manufacturer and get a password, just so I could access the BIOS to install an operating system!

I would likely just short the little battery so it resets.

It's less polite, too. Pain reflexes are powerful things.
It looked like she's missing out on the whole dimension of pain receptors. The feature would be better if it simulated the pain it would bring. As otherwise you have that feeling of never having to feel responsible for your actions, also imagine Pintsize unable to do 'pap pap pap...'

I asked Jeph once in a Q&A years ago whether QC synthetics perceived damage as pain, and he said something close to "No. They're computers."

That may be their largest difference from us on a day to day basis.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #157 on: 11 Jan 2020, 03:23 »

Maybe that firmware is part of the reason she's having a hard time integrating in the first place. With how integrated she was with the last one, it's possible she did with the new body enough to have some sense that she didn't have 100% control, but couldn't place it exactly.

Yes. The added/enabled abstraction layer, making it feel remote controlled, like almost unperceivable input lag. "drive by wire" instead of direct control. Whether the OopsieGuard was disabled for the Police package, or may just be a newer addition, or maybe just the fancier models, we can't say. But I can really understand what made Roko feel being misplaced in a foreign chassis.

Of course, you would have thought this pop-up would have occurred during her self-destructive face-washing episode.
There might have been a new update released since then.

Personally, I think the OopsieGuard would only sprung into action right before she would have cut into her dermal covering. Nothing before that would've left (lasting) damage.

This seems like the sort of feature that would have to be disabled before the body were ever issued to a serving police officer.  Which Roko was, at the time she got it.
I believe she’d already quit the police force when her accident happened.

Didn't the Crushbot incident happen right after she went to Union Robotics and told them she was no longer police?
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #158 on: 11 Jan 2020, 09:34 »

Just so

EDIT:

The display did close by urging her to consult her user manual. Maybe it says something helpful like "hold down the shift key to override". If there's no override, then false alarms are crippling.
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2020, 22:23 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #159 on: 12 Jan 2020, 06:41 »

Let's be optimistic, here. Maybe it's precisely that firmware that made her feel so foreign to her new body, and removing it will improve things?
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

TheEvilDog

« Reply #160 on: 12 Jan 2020, 08:16 »

Or it was installed after one of her traumatic episodes by someone thinking they were helping Roko.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #161 on: 12 Jan 2020, 08:36 »

It has an entry in the user manual. That doesn't mean it's standard issue though. Maybe it's an optional feature that the insurance company sprang for.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #162 on: 12 Jan 2020, 08:43 »

I'm pretty sure it's standard issue. However, you might be able to control the sensitivity from the options/settings screen. After all, some residents of Philomena-Gs might have a somewhat-hazardous job. The last thing they want is their 'self-preservation instincts' preventing them from doing that job anymore!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #163 on: 12 Jan 2020, 19:14 »

By contrast, OopsieGuard would be really useful for people like Melon.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #164 on: 12 Jan 2020, 21:27 »

Okay.  Angry Roko is angry.  That's a huge relief.

The alternative being curled up in a little ball, unable to speak coherently and unresponsive to all attempts to communicate.

Which you know, was also an option.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #165 on: 13 Jan 2020, 03:07 »

pssst this is last week's thread
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up