THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What extinct animal would be scarier to get chased by?

T-rex
Quetzalcoatlus
Gorgonops
something else
I ain't scared of no pterodactyl
purplemonkey dishwasher

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4231-4235 (30th of March to 3rd April, 2020)  (Read 18570 times)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Quetzacoatlus was an Azhdarchid pterosaur that was the size of a giraffe and evidence on fossil specimens suggest it not only spent a significant amount of its time on the ground but could also gallop in addition to being able to fly.
For reference;
(click to show/hide)
T-rex
(click to show/hide)
Quetzalcoatlus
(click to show/hide)
Gorgonops

EDIT: Added spoiler tags to the reference pics of each and swapped a reference pic to be merciful to mobile users.
EDIT 2: Names added under spoiler tags. Also, wrong member of Inostrancevia initially pictured. Image corrected to a gorgonops.

EDIT 3: Oh right, the shipper bait.
Think Elliot will ever fess up to Clinton or Brun?
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2020, 09:36 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Autistic Vulture

• Balloon animal serial killer
Re: WCDT strips 4231-4235 (30th of March to 3rd April, 2020)
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2020, 12:37 »

EDIT 3: Oh right, the shipper bait.
Think Elliot will ever fess up to Clinton or Brun?

Ever is a long time.  It could be three, four (comic) years down the road, knowing Elliot.  Remember how much difficulty he had with Padma (although most of that was before Marten made his first trip to The Secret Bakery).

And I didn't vote because I'm incapable of outrunning a baby.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2020, 12:43 »

Bubbles. It would be scary to be chased by Bubbles.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

DashaBlade

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2020, 13:45 »

Gorgonops looks like half cat, half alligator.  Which is terrifying to me because I've been chased by a 'gator and I've been bitten twice by angry cats (hard enough to require a doctor visit).

I voted "Something else" but really it's more of an "all of the above, plus also a gator or a cat."

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2020, 15:16 »

Been watching a playthrough of Resident Evil 3 Remake. In light of this, the T-103 Tyrant BOW is now officially my nightmare fuel to run away from.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2020, 17:32 »

Bubbles. It would be scary to be chased by Bubbles.

Sorry, I had low blood sugar when I made the poll and didn't word it very well. Hence the 3 edits.

I should have just left it between the T-rex and the Quetzalcoatlus.
a real-ass gaddam sword

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2020, 18:35 »

New strip up!

I think EVERYONE hated Highschool. Even the popular kids.

Wombat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2020, 20:55 »

I actually liked high school for the most part, despite having a number of markers that would probably lead one to suspect otherwise (fat, queer, introverted, mentally ill, etc).

Middle school, on the other hand... (I was once working with some middle schoolers who asked me if I had liked middle school, and I replied "Nobody *likes* middle school. Which is probably also not universally true, and also probably not the best thing to say to kids who are near the beginning of their middle school experience.)

How old is Clinton supposed to be? I get the feeling he was older than me when first introduced and younger than me now, but I can't remember where he's at, exactly.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2020, 20:59 »

Hell is other middle schoolers.

Seriously, though, I'm pretty sure nobody likes middle school. I sure as hell didn't.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2020, 22:19 »

Wasn't Clinton in college when first introduced? The Awesome April Arcus timeline might shed some light from that point.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2020, 23:17 »

How old is Clinton supposed to be? I get the feeling he was older than me when first introduced and younger than me now, but I can't remember where he's at, exactly.
At the time of Claire's introduction he was 21. 2281. We've had a (two?) timeskip(s) since then so he's probably ~22 by now.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2020, 23:20 »

I think that we all did stupid and frankly shitty things when we're in high school. When you're in your early teenage years, you're desperate to find your place in your peer group (and a peer group in the first place). Lacking an adult's good sense, you tend to do whatever it takes to be accepted and that can lead you to bad places that, looking back, makes you realise that you were never quite the good guy in your story that you liked to imagine you were.

Also, Clinton? That thing with terminology is mostly a typical technical person's react to laypersons acting as if they know what they're talking about when they don't.
~~~~

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #12 on: 30 Mar 2020, 02:41 »

Just about anything extinct that was aquatic - you can't see 'em coming and I am an awkward, splashy, terrible swimmer...

edit: Just where are Elliot and Clinton going?  Are they taking the long way home?  :-D
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2020, 02:51 by DaiJB »
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Gyrre

« Reply #13 on: 30 Mar 2020, 07:01 »

Seriously, though, I'm pretty sure nobody likes middle school. I sure as hell didn't.
Ours was pretty bad.

I've seen two suggested rearrangements for how the grades are split up.
1) Add 4th & 5th along with 6th grade to make up middle school while adding 7th to high school.
2) Keep 6th as part of elementary school and make middle school 7th, 8th, and 9th grades, while 10th, 11th, and 12th remain high school.

Not sure which I like the idea of more.

Just about anything extinct that was aquatic - you can't see 'em coming and I am an awkward, splashy, terrible swimmer...
[Snip]
Oh, good point. And here I was just thinking in terms of running away from something.
a real-ass gaddam sword

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2020, 07:29 »

I'll never understand why "High School is terrible" is so prevalent in Western media (and, it seems, in memories of people who went to HS in Western countries).

Give me High School over ANY part of my education, save perhaps university, any day. I didn't even really have any friends in High School, compared to all other schools I went to. It was still infinitely better. Elementary school, on the other hand? THAT was Hell. Small kids are little monsters, with virtually no exceptions. A child is functionally a psychopath minus the intelligence and the life experience. And they get away with enough that they don't have to limit their worst impulses in any way.

Older teenagers can be bad, but they're already a close approximation of an adult. Even when they're shitty to each other, they have some social impulse and a conscience.

Gyrre

« Reply #15 on: 30 Mar 2020, 08:11 »

Gorgonops looks like half cat, half alligator.  Which is terrifying to me because I've been chased by a 'gator and I've been bitten twice by angry cats (hard enough to require a doctor visit).

I voted "Something else" but really it's more of an "all of the above, plus also a gator or a cat."

Kaprosuchus did cross my mind, but low blood sugar. So I went with gorgonops.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2020, 08:45 »

Ah yes, elementary school. The principal lectured me that he had no obligation to intervene for my safety because it was all training in real life. Funny thing, in the many decades since leaving I have never once been assaulted in a restroom. Perhaps it was not realistic training after all.

I enjoyed reading Lord of the Flies. It was such a relief to see someone tell the truth.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #17 on: 30 Mar 2020, 09:34 »

Middle school, on the other hand... (I was once working with some middle schoolers who asked me if I had liked middle school, and I replied "Nobody *likes* middle school. Which is probably also not universally true, and also probably not the best thing to say to kids who are near the beginning of their middle school experience.)

"Junior high school" as we called it, is the deepest pit of hell.

Clinton's "It's an ongoing process" reminds me of something a friend said on Facebook some time ago: "Unfucking yourself is a life-long process."
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Autistic Vulture

« Reply #18 on: 30 Mar 2020, 10:41 »

2) Keep 6th as part of elementary school and make middle school 7th, 8th, and 9th grades, while 10th, 11th, and 12th remain high school.

This used to be the arrangement in my province, except 7-9 was called junior high.  (Grade 9 is now part of high school.)

Not that it mattered to me; my hometown is small enough that K-12 are in one building.  Being an undiagnosed autistic in the same general group of people for 13 years was torture.

Also to note - my mother was a substitute teacher for most of that time.  Junior high was bad enough that even though the school had a long roster of substitutes, only my mother and a former vice-principal were willing to do junior high.  It was known not to screw with my mother, ever.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #19 on: 30 Mar 2020, 12:47 »

Shortly after I left, my high school had grown so much that they took over the middle school next door and isolated all of 9th grade there, except for things like band and sports.  9th grade is such a *weird* time for most kids.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #20 on: 30 Mar 2020, 12:57 »

This used to be the arrangement in my province, except 7-9 was called junior high.  (Grade 9 is now part of high school.)
I went to school in California and Washington, and every school system I was in used a 6/3/3 division of grades. Elementary was K-6, junior high was 7-9 (though 9th-graders were still called "freshmen"), and high school 10-12.

A couple of years ago I drove a bus for the Forest Grove/Cornelius district here in Oregon, where it seems to be elementary school for K-4, with grades 5-6 "upper elementary", 7-8 "middle school", and 9-12 "high school".
stePH
--

notStanley

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #21 on: 30 Mar 2020, 13:06 »

"bits and bytes"  --  My first IT job was writing business applications in Assembler on IBM mainframes.  Then they started using Cobol.  Those fools used THREE BYTES for a literal "yes" or "no " flag, instead of fitting 8 bit level flags into a single byte.  On a machine with 512KB RAM (yes Kilo, not Mega or Giga, and Tera was not even being used in SciFi yet), that adds up.  As well as the CPU overhead of invoking micro-code for string compares vs a single clock cycle for a native binary test.  <huf> <huf> <rant /off>

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #22 on: 30 Mar 2020, 20:02 »

New Comic up.

Oh poor Elliot.  Wonder if he'll run back to Clinton's or...?

Gyrre

« Reply #23 on: 30 Mar 2020, 20:20 »

Renee accidentally jinxed him twice over.
a real-ass gaddam sword

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #24 on: 30 Mar 2020, 21:14 »

"Chekhov's Skunk" - Dammit, Jeph already said what immediately came to my mind!  :laugh:

That's OK, I'm sure Clinton's mother will be happy to oblige with a tomato juice bath - and with the whole Clinton/Elliot shipping thing , plus her own proclivity for younger men, it's pretty easy to see that this is going to be the most embarrassing night of Clinton's life  :-D
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #25 on: 30 Mar 2020, 23:12 »

Okay, here's my interpretation: The skunk is symbolic, in meta terms. As the strip title says, Elliot has blown it by missing several opportunities to get closer to Clinton. Being skunked and thus not able to quickly revisit those opportunities is Jeph's way of emphasising that there is no going back for now.
~~~~

TorporChambre

• Emoticontraindication
  • Hannelore Enthusiast
Some people have the strangest last words;
« Reply #26 on: 31 Mar 2020, 00:59 »

If it's extinct, it can't chase me.
That's OK, I'm sure Clinton's mother will be happy to oblige with a tomato juice bath - and with the whole Clinton/Elliot shipping thing , plus her own proclivity for younger men, it's pretty easy to see that this is going to be the most embarrassing night of Clinton's life  :-D
Connaissais! (Reviendraient vers Octaviorum, Mme auront apprécié l'odeur;) c'est de fragrances meilleures.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 01 Apr 2020, 00:17 by TorporChambre »
``Remember about advanced texnics and noise?
We've hit fiction from science indistinct''
~Carl-E, QC forums

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #27 on: 31 Mar 2020, 01:20 »

Connaissais! (Lorsque reviendraient vers Octaviorum, Mme auront apprécié l'odeur;) Cette est de meilleures fragrances.
Anyone else who can't exactly make heads or tails on that french? I mean, I speak french on a daily professional basis, but really... With all due respect, but the ungrammaticality of that phrase is grating.

Edited to include the quote.
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2020, 01:27 by Cornelius »
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #28 on: 31 Mar 2020, 10:56 »

Connaissais! (Lorsque reviendraient vers Octaviorum, Mme auront apprécié l'odeur;) Cette est de meilleures fragrances.
Anyone else who can't exactly make heads or tails on that french? I mean, I speak french on a daily professional basis, but really... With all due respect, but the ungrammaticality of that phrase is grating.

Probably why they said "Pardon my French"  :-D
stePH
--

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #29 on: 31 Mar 2020, 10:58 »

Quetzacoatlus was an Azhdarchid pterosaur that was the size of a giraffe and evidence on fossil specimens suggest it not only spent a significant amount of its time on the ground but could also gallop in addition to being able to fly.

Q (1982)
stePH
--

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #30 on: 31 Mar 2020, 11:25 »

Afterwards. But appreciated.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #31 on: 31 Mar 2020, 11:44 »

Afterwards. But appreciated.
I always say "...if you'll pardon my French" whenever I use a phrase such as coup d'etat or raison d'etre.
stePH
--

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #32 on: 31 Mar 2020, 11:47 »

...That's OK, I'm sure Clinton's mother will be happy to oblige with a tomato juice bath - and with the whole Clinton/Elliot shipping thing , plus her own proclivity for younger men, it's pretty easy to see that this is going to be the most embarrassing night of Clinton's life  :-D

Somehow Clinton will manage to get skunked too in a display of bro solidarity.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #33 on: 31 Mar 2020, 11:56 »

I always say "...if you'll pardon my French" whenever I use a phrase such as coup d'etat or raison d'etre.

In my experience, the phrase is more often associated with the use of four-letter Anglo-Saxon.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #34 on: 31 Mar 2020, 12:22 »

Ours was pretty bad.

I've seen two suggested rearrangements for how the grades are split up.
1) Add 4th & 5th along with 6th grade to make up middle school while adding 7th to high school.

Not sure which I like the idea of more.
I don't think there's any arrangement that would make it better. They're just at the age where they're old enough to be capable of doing horrible things, but too young to be socialized into behaving like a civilized human being.

For what it's worth, my school was K-6 elementary school, 7-8 junior high (at the high school but in a separate building), and 9-12 high school.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #35 on: 31 Mar 2020, 12:53 »

In my experience, the phrase is more often associated with the use of four-letter Anglo-Saxon.
I'm aware of that; that's the joke - that I associate it with actual French rather than Anglo-Saxon.
stePH
--

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #36 on: 31 Mar 2020, 13:24 »

I'm aware of that; that's the joke - that I associate it with actual French rather than Anglo-Saxon.

Explaining the joke makes it funnier. This is just a hard fact of the universe.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #37 on: 31 Mar 2020, 13:34 »

Also I stole it ("...if you'll pardon my French") from Neil Gaiman, who used it in the story "Keepsakes and Treasures" (in the collection Fragile Things).
stePH
--

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #38 on: 31 Mar 2020, 15:12 »

I'm appreciating just how well written the Faye/Bubbles storyline was.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #39 on: 31 Mar 2020, 15:35 »

I'm appreciating just how well written the Faye/Bubbles storyline was.
Yeah, people were still denying the inevitable right until the strip where they kissed for the first time even as other people had metaphorically already ordered gift baskets, set up the champagne glass pyramid, and hung the Arbor Day banner.

This time it’s more a question of who’s going to be more surprised by the first kiss, Elliot, Clinton, or Brun…
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #40 on: 31 Mar 2020, 16:50 »

Yes, but not just that. In that storyline, Jeph was able to develop multiple story threads at the same time and express those through Faye's and Bubbles' developing relationship. Faye's battles with alcoholism and intimacy, Bubbles' locked off memories and dealing with Corpse Witch, fending off Basilisk.

Whereas here, if you're not entertained by the shipping storyline, there's not much else going on.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #41 on: 31 Mar 2020, 17:17 »

Whereas here, if you're not entertained by the shipping storyline, there's not much else going on.

stePH
--

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #42 on: 31 Mar 2020, 17:56 »

Well, if you’re tired of that ship, you can try the one in the new update on for size... :psyduck:

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #43 on: 31 Mar 2020, 18:04 »

Maybe QC is not for me after all, I dunno.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #44 on: 31 Mar 2020, 19:13 »

New strip.

Can robots turn their noses off, or are they stuck with skunk stink?

Autistic Vulture

« Reply #45 on: 31 Mar 2020, 19:24 »

New strip.

Probably depends on the model.  Most likely can, but a May or other low-end make might be stuck.

Yes, but not just that. In that storyline, Jeph was able to develop multiple story threads at the same time and express those through Faye's and Bubbles' developing relationship. Faye's battles with alcoholism and intimacy, Bubbles' locked off memories and dealing with Corpse Witch, fending off Basilisk.

The storyline needed something to happen as it had been gone for nine months.  There are twists that could happen.  Thing is, to be honest, it's difficult to see a pairing that would end in a happy long-term relationship.  But maybe that's the ultra-cynic in me.  (The ultra-cynic in me also thinks that Jeph doesn't know how to proceed.)

After nine weeks, it's time to head elsewhere for a while, but let's not drop it for nine months again.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #46 on: 31 Mar 2020, 19:50 »

I'm perfectly happy for something to happen with this story line. I'm maybe not being as clear as I think. I want more storylines to progress concurrently - not fewer!

I know.  I just want everything!  :-D

I think the issue is that May, for example, does have a dramatic plot in progress, but no romantic subplot. Whereas Elliot and Clinton are the other way around - all romantic subplot with no dramatic plot sitting on top. So we're cutting back and forth and progress on both is slow. If we could just combine the two somehow...

Gyrre

« Reply #47 on: 31 Mar 2020, 20:37 »

I'm perfectly happy for something to happen with this story line. I'm maybe not being as clear as I think. I want more storylines to progress concurrently - not fewer!

I know.  I just want everything!  :-D

I think the issue is that May, for example, does have a dramatic plot in progress, but no romantic subplot. Whereas Elliot and Clinton are the other way around - all romantic subplot with no dramatic plot sitting on top. So we're cutting back and forth and progress on both is slow. If we could just combine the two somehow...

Incidentally, it looks like Elliot and Yay will become acquainted.
a real-ass gaddam sword

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #48 on: 31 Mar 2020, 20:59 »

re the bottom right note:

I would have thought he was closer to Desire.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #49 on: 31 Mar 2020, 23:20 »

I suspect that this will be the storyline where Yay realises that the universe is not only stranger than they imagine, it is stranger than they can imagine. Melon has already made them suspect that but the interactions of Elliot with... well with everyone and anyone will probably be a significant new data-point. Yay never really understood romantic interactions. Then they inadvertently got roped into helping Elliot untangle his knotted relationships!

Jeph noted that Elliot actually came close to death when he came up behind Yay in panel 2. We know that chassis has electromagnetic inductors in the hands. I wonder what other advanced technology with combat applications are hidden away in that chassis?

Well, Melon obviously likes it and Yay's chassis is clearly different enough in its base technology and concept that I image they do not necessarily react to sensory data in the same way as other synthetics do.

That said, yes, I can see Roko, with a clothes peg on her nose, helping a couple of Yays and a disappointed-looking Melon to scrub Elliot down with stiff-bristled brushes and several dozen cans of pureed tomato.
~~~~

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up