THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

A Spooky Wish! What should Faye ask for?

Marten and Claire stay in Northampton somehow
- 2 (6.5%)
Bubbles gets all her memories back, for good or for ill
- 3 (9.7%)
May gets a new body and the second chance she wants
- 10 (32.3%)
Roko's dysphoria should be snapped away
- 3 (9.7%)
Melon finally learn not to damage her own chassis
- 0 (0%)
Pintsize finally learn to think before he pranks (zero effect - he does that anyway)
- 0 (0%)
She can finally confront and overcome the cause of her own problems
- 6 (19.4%)
Hannelore can experience romantic love without her fears ruining it
- 4 (12.9%)
Other (please specify in comments)
- 3 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4271-4275 (25th - 29th May 2020)  (Read 10926 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
WCDT strips 4271-4275 (25th - 29th May 2020)
« on: 24 May 2020, 11:35 »

Well, Faye has encountered Yay for the first time since Bubbles's lost memory arc. Now, we know that they aren't in the habit of snapping their fingers to solve people's problems (even if they want to) because of their principles in the matter. However, if they were inclined to do so and offered to fix just one thing for Faye in a one-off no-take-back Monkey's Paw-style deal, what do you think Faye would ask for?

Although Faye has problems of her own, directly or indirectly as they afflict her friends, I think that Faye would be very, very unhappy to do anything that would be considered 'selfish' in any way. That said, I think she would probably be able to compromise so long as it is mostly for the benefit of someone else. Personally, as both her friend and as someone who has seen its' impact up close, I think that Faye would ask Yay to help Roko overcome her dysphoria in some way.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
Re: WCDT strips 4271-4275 (25th - 29th May 2020)
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2020, 18:10 »

Comic’s up. 

Jeph may not know this since he doesn’t live in Northampton any more, but the place that sold those dog treats closed last year.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Autistic Vulture

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2020, 18:43 »

I went dark on the poll:  Faye should find out, for better or worse, why her father killed herself; whether or not that is the cause of her problems is somewhat debatable.

There is one she definitely shouldn't ask for - she should want Melon to damage her body as often as possible.  Customers are customers.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2020, 18:59 »

I love how Faye assumes Spooky is up to something... nope. Dog treat run.  :lol:

awkwardness

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2020, 23:01 »

I love how Faye assumes Spooky is up to something... nope. Dog treat run.  :lol:

In her defense...the last time she met Spooky wasn't a good time, and she loves Bubbles and lays some blame on Spooky. Spooky might have grown since that time, but it's only a short time in-universe and Faye has been hurt too many times before to just trust you right away and take you at face value

Gyrre

« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2020, 23:07 »

Good plan, Roko.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2020, 23:58 »

I'm sure they are up to something. Somewhere.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2020, 00:13 »

I can see Faye's problem. Aside from the fact the only time she's met Yay before they assaulted her and her friends, and temporarily paralysed her. That sort of stuff leaves scars, even if Yay's intervention also directly led to Bubbles' current place her life. Additionally, I'm pretty sure she's having difficulty thinking of Yay as being a dog person!

Good plan, Roko.

Yeah, Roko has her own problems. She doesn't have anywhere near the battery charge she needs to stand around and watch those two going at each other.
~~~~

stayctee

• Plantmonster
« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2020, 06:58 »

I'm just distracted by the fact they're both wearing sports bras.

Gyrre

« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2020, 14:02 »

I'm just distracted by the fact they're both wearing sports bras.
Eh?
So they are. I guess I'm so used to them being portrayed as such that I didn't even clock it.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2020, 18:21 »

Yay probably SHOULD apologize. Probably won't happen tho. *lol*

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2020, 19:48 »

Wait a minute - "...the one thing you know for a fact is against our principles"???
Rubbish! That is exactly what they do without a moment's hesitation! Spookybot paralysed Faye last time they met - and put Dora and Emily (and presumably anyone else in CoD) to sleep - what is that if not mind-control? Our nervous systems don't just stop at our skulls!

I've always regarded this ridiculously omnipotent AI as Jeph's biggest mistake in this strip - I do notice a definite tendency for Jeph to gradually scale back its power to a more mortal level since then.

As evidence of "Yay's" duplicity and untrustworthiness, "Faye has a point" : https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3394
and
https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3396
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Reaver

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2020, 19:53 »

Wait a minute - "...the one thing you know for a fact is against our principles"???
Rubbish! That is exactly what they do without a moment's hesitation! Spookybot paralysed Faye last time they met - and put Dora and Emily (and presumably anyone else in CoD) to sleep - what is that if not mind-control? Our nervous systems don't just stop at our skulls!

I've always regarded this ridiculously omnipotent AI as Jeph's biggest mistake in this strip - I do notice a definite tendency for Jeph to gradually scale back its power to a more mortal level since then.

As evidence of "Yay's" duplicity and untrustworthiness, "Faye has a point" : https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3394
and

I forgot that Faye had her hair in a brief boufant!
Bravery is looking down the dark hall, knowing that you are utterly terrified of the dark, and charging in anyways.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2020, 19:59 »

and

Technically that was nervous paralysis, but unconscious is still unconscious.

Spooky's principles extend to AI for the most part, also I would imagine an advanced AI mind-linking with an organic mind would lead to unpleasantness for both parties. When Spooky says that mind control is against their principles, they mean that they will not influence an AI to make a choice they wouldn't normally go for. They're not going to alter an AI's nature to something its not, for example, a pacifist, flower loving AI isn't suddenly going to switch to a rampaging KILLBOT because Spooky flipped a switch.

If Spooky helps some unfortunate AI, it has to be because the AI wants help.

And lets be honest, if Faye came barrelling at you, shouting and cussing up a storm, you'd knock her out too.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #14 on: 25 May 2020, 20:25 »

Overly powerful characters mess up storytelling and can certainly be a mistake.

Zoe came up with a good line of argument, though, that something like Eminence Grise is a logical requirement to stabilize the QC world.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2020, 21:12 »

So wait, when was Spooky's name revealed to be Yay?
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #16 on: 25 May 2020, 21:14 »

When Melon named her "Yay Newfriend".

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #17 on: 25 May 2020, 21:15 »

So wait, when was Spooky's name revealed to be Yay?

Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

DaiJB

• Utterly clueless.
« Reply #18 on: 25 May 2020, 21:16 »

And lets be honest, if Faye came barrelling at you, shouting and cussing up a storm, you'd knock her out too.

Faye was just standing next to Bubbles, which is where she'd been in the previous strip: (https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3392) - if anything, Spookybot was doing the personal space invasion.
What Spookybot did was to dismiss Faye without the explanation Faye was demanding. "Sit down please" (as though she had a choice!)

In other words, "It doesn't matter that you care about your friend - go away..."
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #19 on: 25 May 2020, 21:29 »

Zoe came up with a good line of argument, though, that something like Eminence Grise is a logical requirement to stabilize the QC world.

I cannot recall the details of that argument. It seems like a bit of a leap.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #20 on: 25 May 2020, 22:00 »

Knocking someone unconscious is not mind control. Their principles are against mind control, not nervous system twerking. What they did was functionally the same as tasing them, just less painful. Still wrong by society's standards, but not Yay's.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #21 on: 25 May 2020, 22:19 »

To me, unconsciousness and mind control are not the same thing. 

Yay uses their powers to sort of stun Faye yes when she talks back to Yay, but she never makes Faye do anything against her will. Faye seems to be implying today that Yay is mind-controlling her into talking about the situation with Bubbles, which seems to strike a chord since she was there when Yay gave her sanctity of the mind speech.

They are a g-dlike being and I think that gives them the arrogance we see early on. Also, part of me wonders if some of it was a show.

In this comic, when they are alone and away from everyone, they behave very differently: https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3403

Is it possible perhaps part of their power is the perception of their power, and thus only in private can they turn off the show?

Looking back at those comics, here's a theory...I know some people in the past have mentioned Yay might be an AI CIA/KGB/FBI but....

What if they are in cahoots with Station? We know Station is one of the most powerful AIs in existence, and he doesn't actually say he can't do it, he says he wouldn't want to try. If he knew he couldn't do it, wouldn't he just say he can't?

Now we know Station was created by the inventor of AI, so possible so was Yay, as the mentioned AI secret police. They only meddle here and there, when someone shows up on their radar for messing with the AI mind.

So my theory is based on four things

1.) They show up very quickly after Station says he "won't even try." Almost as if he made a phone call right after calling Hanners.

2.) If they were created by John Ellicott-Chatham, they would have access to the source code for every aspect of an AI. With the source code, you can understand every aspect of the program. This could also be how they develop their tools.

3.) Without knowing more about patent law in the QC universe, John Ellicott-Chatham may well have patents on the software, and thus their "sanctity of the mind" is really protecting his software.

4.) Being a smart man, he may have forseen the reality that some AIs will be bad. Alerting the mind of other AIs would cross the line that balances human and AI interactions since it could lead to fear of robot zombie armies or things like that. A secret police force that monitors things like this thus would ensure that "bad" AIs are only limited to doing similiar to human crimes.

At the least, I think Station knows who they are and has a line of communication with them.

Now for the story...

I'm wondering if we might find out a curveball like there is a procedure to possibly recover the memories by studying the quantum state of the physical storage or that when They raised Corpse Witch's offices, They found a backup of the memories but decided to let Bubbles evolve on her own.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #22 on: 25 May 2020, 22:22 »

I just noticed that Spookybot is using a round speech bubble to talk to Faye when previously we've seen them use square when talking to other AIs.  Perhaps they prefer to do this with humans. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #23 on: 25 May 2020, 22:37 »

I cannot recall the details of that argument. It seems like a bit of a leap.

I don't remember either, and I wish I did because as I remember it was worked out to the degree you'd expect from Zoe.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #24 on: 25 May 2020, 23:25 »

"... The one thing you know for a fact to be against our principles." - Actually, Yay, I don't think that you've ever told Faye that in those terms!

I honestly wonder where Jeph is taking this. If Faye needs advice or to vent, it would make far more sense to use Marten in this role. So, I'm wondering if this is more part of Yay's character arc. In which they learn:
  • Some people might not be willing to just let their past misdeeds go;
  • Love messes with your reasoning abilities pretty effectively
Both of these will be food for thought, if for different reasons.
~~~~

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #25 on: 26 May 2020, 03:05 »

Nice poll!
Hard to choose one.
(Chose May)

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #26 on: 26 May 2020, 03:10 »

I originally wasn't going to vote in the poll, partly because I don't often vote anyway, but also because Yay is not my favourite plot device character.

But I'll run with other - she shouldn't ask for anything because offers like that don't come without a price.

stayctee

• Plantmonster
« Reply #27 on: 26 May 2020, 06:25 »

"AI bullshit"?? Jesus, Faye.

chris73

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #28 on: 26 May 2020, 19:08 »

Definitely the second option

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #29 on: 26 May 2020, 19:19 »

Comic's up.

Note the change of font that suggests that Faye's imitating Bubble's voice for that line.

Also, it seems that the crux of her crisis (consciously, at least) was thinking, or wanting to think, that she's special, unique, Bubbles' destined soulmate, and ... maybe not?

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #30 on: 26 May 2020, 19:21 »

"AI bullshit"?? Jesus, Faye.
Jesus, Faye. Faye, Jesus.

“Nice to meet you.”
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

TheEvilDog

« Reply #31 on: 26 May 2020, 19:32 »

Well Spooky, its six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #32 on: 26 May 2020, 19:49 »

Next week: Faye runs out of butter.  :roll:

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #33 on: 26 May 2020, 20:29 »

Spooky/Yay: "Fuck if I know."

Faye: "WHAT."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DaiJB

• Utterly clueless.
« Reply #34 on: 26 May 2020, 21:08 »

Hey, just after I give reasons for not liking this character, and here it is, giving me more reasons!
That was totally uncalled for. Faye has unbent, told of her concerns - and gets "are you stupid?" as an answer.

This character appears to be as abusive as May, but without May's redeeming features - and a lot of power, which makes it worse!

Reaver

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #35 on: 26 May 2020, 21:13 »

Hey, just after I give reasons for not liking this character, and here it is, giving me more reasons!
That was totally uncalled for. Faye has unbent, told of her concerns - and gets "are you stupid?" as an answer.

This character appears to be as abusive as May, but without May's redeeming features - and a lot of power, which makes it worse!

Faye is literally getting what she's giving out, Yay's not obligated to give a crap about Faye's problems,  she's not one of Yay's friends, and this is clearly an area Yay doesn't have any experience in, Idk what Faye was expecting here.

"Oh yes, I actually kept a deep copy of Bubbles memories, you are in fact her one and only" ???

Point being, if you wanna yell at people, accuse them of stuff ( warrented or not tbh) you then best not be surprised when you start dumping your relationship drama on them, they question your mental capacity because WHY ???

To make it clear, I don't like Yay all that much either, but like dang I don't know why Fay's expecting them to be compassionate/to give a crap about her relationship  insecurities.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2020, 21:35 by Reaver »
Bravery is looking down the dark hall, knowing that you are utterly terrified of the dark, and charging in anyways.

immortalfrieza

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #36 on: 26 May 2020, 21:53 »

It could be worse Faye. Bubbles could have a significant other who is still alive and had Bubbles just up and disappear one day due to her PTSD mental breakdown and Bubbles having forgotten they existed.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #37 on: 26 May 2020, 22:09 »

It could be worse Faye. Bubbles could have a significant other who is still alive and had Bubbles just up and disappear one day due to her PTSD mental breakdown and Bubbles having forgotten they existed.

That's pretty much what several of us were saying last week. Faye's fear is centred on the idea that if she isn't Bubbles' first love, there could be someone waiting in the wings to come back in and take Bubbles from her.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #38 on: 26 May 2020, 23:05 »

Yeah, that's the crux of the matter and it makes sense with the character of Faye. She isn't specifically worried about Bubbles possibly having a former partner. She worried about herself and whether this proves she isn't worthy of Bubbles. Faye's self-esteem issues have been the centre of most of the problems in her adult life and that isn't likely to stop any time soon.

I think it's worth noting that Faye's first response to Yay was to panic and think that the distributed-AI was up to no good (and effectively demand that Roko arrest them). So, yeah, Yay isn't obliged to be nice in return and I found their question in panel 4 to be in-character. As I've said before, I suspect that Yay is going to be learning a lot about how humans process (and often fail to process) data in their romantic relationships in this conversation.
~~~~

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #39 on: 27 May 2020, 02:18 »

That's pretty much what several of us were saying last week. Faye's fear is centred on the idea that if she isn't Bubbles' first love, there could be someone waiting in the wings to come back in and take Bubbles from her.

Or, if we can imagine Faye being a bit more noble... That Bubbles should BE with her 'true' love...???

(Hell, *I* don;t know if I could be that noble!  :)  )
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #40 on: 27 May 2020, 05:03 »

One possible outcome is that Yay does some deep diving and finds some pictures from Bubbles's unit of her with another soldier. A little email-hacking shows that, yes, they were in a relationship and, yes, they are now KIA. After asking Faye, Bubbles asks for their details and the last strip in the arc is Bubbles and Faye at Arlington, putting some flowers on a grave.

Maybe, as Faye lays her flowers, she says something like: "You can trust me, buddy. I'll look after her; I swear it."
« Last Edit: 27 May 2020, 05:22 by BenRG »
~~~~

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #41 on: 27 May 2020, 06:35 »

Uhmmmmmh - Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Bubbles' memories were gone, kaput, irreplaceably lost? So if a former soulmate turns up, Bubbles might be prone to feel attracted to them, but she wouldn't experience the complex network of memories and emotions we call love?

TL;DR - Even if a former lover would still be alive, Bubbles' love for them would still be dead as a doornail?
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

TheEvilDog

« Reply #42 on: 27 May 2020, 07:21 »

Uhmmmmmh - Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Bubbles' memories were gone, kaput, irreplaceably lost? So if a former soulmate turns up, Bubbles might be prone to feel attracted to them, but she wouldn't experience the complex network of memories and emotions we call love?

TL;DR - Even if a former lover would still be alive, Bubbles' love for them would still be dead as a doornail?

I know that, you know that, but Faye hasn't had the best of luck with romance and is likely to look at the worst case scenario.

immortalfrieza

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #43 on: 27 May 2020, 08:14 »

Well, so far I don't get that. Based on Faye's statements in this comic she's worried that Bubbles might have an earlier love out there who is dead and she, whether Bubbles realizes it or not, is just a replacement. As far as Faye has shown the idea that there could be someone else out there who loves Bubbles and is alive doesn't seem to have occurred to her... yet.

notStanley

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #44 on: 27 May 2020, 10:37 »

The "just here / default" insecurity was a factor when my last SO left because my dating history was small enough she did not feel the pool was large enough to be considered the one-in-a-million. 

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #45 on: 27 May 2020, 11:55 »

The more I look back at Faye and Bubbles, the issue isn't worrying about being soulmates with Bubbles, but that she is the one who taught Bubbles how to love. She was just a solider before and then working for a criminal enterprise. Then she meets Faye, starts a business with her, and falls in love.

Bubbles could have loved before, and thus Faye isn't Bubble's savior who taught her how to love.

The question becomes, can Faye learn to deal with this?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #46 on: 27 May 2020, 17:42 »

Faye perhaps doesn't realize that there is no risk of losing Bubbles to a past love or anything else.

Bubbles has taken a commitment vow and of all people in the strip I think of her as the one who would take that most seriously.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

haikupoet

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #47 on: 27 May 2020, 18:15 »

Yes, Faye, not only have you always been bi, it shouldn’t even be that surprising given that your sister is gay and queerness sometimes runs in the family.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #48 on: 27 May 2020, 18:59 »

Yay holding up a mirror and Faye looking for the "I'm in this picture and I don't like it" button.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #49 on: 27 May 2020, 18:59 »

...wait, what?  Unless there's a story here we haven't been told, it almost sounds like she's just realized she should have put more stock in Dora's flirting.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up