Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 31 Oct 2020, 06:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Force is With Us! (Star Wars franchise general disucssion thread)  (Read 318 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Most existing Star Wars threads on this board are specific to a certain movie or show. I'm starting this thread to give us a place to discuss things like the broader direction of the franchise under its new management. The upcoming changes that are widely rumoured on the Internet and other general Star Wars stuff.

To start, has anyone else heard rumours of the 'Sequel Redo' with George Lucas at the helm? I'm a bit ambivalent at that because Lucas, whilst a great storyteller, is only a fair director and, unless someone is leaning over his shoulder and keeping him focussed, his projects do tend to wander a bit and get bogged down in long-winded expository monologues. One also has to wonder if Disney has the money for such a project right now.

Secondly, plese enjoy the following fan trailer for Episode IV.

~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor

GOtta love the fan film battle inserts :)
Vader on fire is pretty groovy!
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Definitely DEFINITELY not touching my balls
    • Do They Have To Use Drums?

Wonder whether Disney has the money?

Disney will own my underwear drawer before the end of the week. I think they'd be able to if they felt like it.

However I cannot imagine a more redunant idea than doing a remake of the Star Wars sequels :psyduck:
There's a difference to being bisexual and taking what you can get.
www.madcap156.wordpress.com

BenRG

• coprophage

However I cannot imagine a more redunant idea than doing a remake of the Star Wars sequels :psyduck:

Apparently, Lucas's story for episodes 7-9 bear very little similarity to what J J Abrams and Rian Johnson gave us. Almost the only point of commonality is that Luke's current Padawan Learner is a powerful girl of uncertain heritage called 'Rey'.
~~~~

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Definitely DEFINITELY not touching my balls
    • Do They Have To Use Drums?

Apparently, Lucas's story for episodes 7-9 bear very little similarity to what J J Abrams and Rian Johnson gave us. Almost the only point of commonality is that Luke's current Padawan Learner is a powerful girl of uncertain heritage called 'Rey'.

Do we really need a Star Wars Kelvin timeline?
There's a difference to being bisexual and taking what you can get.
www.madcap156.wordpress.com

BenRG

• coprophage

I think it's interesting that you should mention that because I think that there are a lot of similar commercial and artistic motivations. The Kelvin Timeline exists because J J Abrams wanted to be able to tell stories in a Star Trek-like universe without being too limited by three decades of franchise canon plus several tonnes of official supporting material. The Abrams/Johnson Sequel Trilogy had a lot of the same pressures on it: Wanting to have a distinct and clear 'Disney Star Wars' universe separate from but tangentially connected to the classic stories so that original tales could be told without being too limited by existing canon.

It seems that a lot of the same problems have also been encountered by Disney that have also been encountered by Paramount and CBS: The majority of the fan base wants stuff in line with the existing canon and response to the 'updated' universes that have been presented in the last decade or so has been increasingly lukewarm. I'm not sure what Trek's position is but I understand that Disney Star Wars is barely breaking even and may even be running at a deficit, so a radical change of direction is definitely necessary for Disney. Redoing three entire main thread films from scratch would be a hugely radical and enormously risky step, I agree. A lot depends on just how desperate Disney is to rebuild bridges with the majority of the Star Wars fan-base.

FWIW, the rumour is that the redo of the Sequel Trilogy is Lucas's condition for replacing Kathleen Kennedy and 'saving Star Wars'. I don't know how true that might be. Personally, given that he seems to have personally 'anointed' Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni as his chosen successors and heirs, I would be more inclined to give him an advisory role and give them the responsibility to move the franchise forwards. Clone Wars, Rebels and The Mandelorian suggest that they have what it takes.
~~~~

Tova

• Preventing third impact
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I strongly suspect that this is an exaggeration, though I don't doubt there are major differences. There is a gulf between idea and final screenplay across all the SW films, is there not?

Also, my understanding is that the concept of an older Luke dismayed by an ex-student is a much older concept than the two directors of the trilogy.

https://twitter.com/PhilSzostak/status/943965533623304194
'A true thing, poorly expressed, is a lie.'

BenRG

• coprophage

At the risk of  turning this thread into a fan-film rec thread, I found this one today and I fell in love:

~~~~

Pages: [1]   Go Up