THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Force is With Us! (Star Wars franchise general disucssion thread)  (Read 24899 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Most existing Star Wars threads on this board are specific to a certain movie or show. I'm starting this thread to give us a place to discuss things like the broader direction of the franchise under its new management. The upcoming changes that are widely rumoured on the Internet and other general Star Wars stuff.

To start, has anyone else heard rumours of the 'Sequel Redo' with George Lucas at the helm? I'm a bit ambivalent at that because Lucas, whilst a great storyteller, is only a fair director and, unless someone is leaning over his shoulder and keeping him focussed, his projects do tend to wander a bit and get bogged down in long-winded expository monologues. One also has to wonder if Disney has the money for such a project right now.

Secondly, plese enjoy the following fan trailer for Episode IV.

~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor

GOtta love the fan film battle inserts :)
Vader on fire is pretty groovy!
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Wonder whether Disney has the money?

Disney will own my underwear drawer before the end of the week. I think they'd be able to if they felt like it.

However I cannot imagine a more redunant idea than doing a remake of the Star Wars sequels :psyduck:
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

BenRG

• coprophage

However I cannot imagine a more redunant idea than doing a remake of the Star Wars sequels :psyduck:

Apparently, Lucas's story for episodes 7-9 bear very little similarity to what J J Abrams and Rian Johnson gave us. Almost the only point of commonality is that Luke's current Padawan Learner is a powerful girl of uncertain heritage called 'Rey'.
~~~~

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Apparently, Lucas's story for episodes 7-9 bear very little similarity to what J J Abrams and Rian Johnson gave us. Almost the only point of commonality is that Luke's current Padawan Learner is a powerful girl of uncertain heritage called 'Rey'.

Do we really need a Star Wars Kelvin timeline?

BenRG

• coprophage

I think it's interesting that you should mention that because I think that there are a lot of similar commercial and artistic motivations. The Kelvin Timeline exists because J J Abrams wanted to be able to tell stories in a Star Trek-like universe without being too limited by three decades of franchise canon plus several tonnes of official supporting material. The Abrams/Johnson Sequel Trilogy had a lot of the same pressures on it: Wanting to have a distinct and clear 'Disney Star Wars' universe separate from but tangentially connected to the classic stories so that original tales could be told without being too limited by existing canon.

It seems that a lot of the same problems have also been encountered by Disney that have also been encountered by Paramount and CBS: The majority of the fan base wants stuff in line with the existing canon and response to the 'updated' universes that have been presented in the last decade or so has been increasingly lukewarm. I'm not sure what Trek's position is but I understand that Disney Star Wars is barely breaking even and may even be running at a deficit, so a radical change of direction is definitely necessary for Disney. Redoing three entire main thread films from scratch would be a hugely radical and enormously risky step, I agree. A lot depends on just how desperate Disney is to rebuild bridges with the majority of the Star Wars fan-base.

FWIW, the rumour is that the redo of the Sequel Trilogy is Lucas's condition for replacing Kathleen Kennedy and 'saving Star Wars'. I don't know how true that might be. Personally, given that he seems to have personally 'anointed' Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni as his chosen successors and heirs, I would be more inclined to give him an advisory role and give them the responsibility to move the franchise forwards. Clone Wars, Rebels and The Mandelorian suggest that they have what it takes.
~~~~

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I strongly suspect that this is an exaggeration, though I don't doubt there are major differences. There is a gulf between idea and final screenplay across all the SW films, is there not?

Also, my understanding is that the concept of an older Luke dismayed by an ex-student is a much older concept than the two directors of the trilogy.

https://twitter.com/PhilSzostak/status/943965533623304194
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage

At the risk of  turning this thread into a fan-film rec thread, I found this one today and I fell in love:

~~~~

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!

Well this was announced today!

We're getting a Rogue Squadron TV show!
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.

We're getting a Rogue Squadron movie. Ahsoka's getting expanded into a full series (and Thrwan is likely to be the big bad). Andor looks promising (if nothing else, Diego Luna is having the time of his life). Lando series (staring Donald Glover? We can hope). Hayden Christensen back to play Vader in the Kenobi series (somewhat unsure of that one, but I'm curious what he'll do when not beholden to Lucas's direction). Then there's the rest.

GET.

HYPE.
Quis pater tibi est?

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Why, if George Lucas wants to redo the Disney triology, I'd say sure, knock yourself out.

As a YouTuber (Shadiversty) stated recently, the Disney triology isnt actually canon anyway. Its just poor fanfiction. Thats how I see it, too.

The first of these movies was bad enough, being nothing more than a variation of the original movie A New Hope. But the other two movies have been plothole galore. And they destroyed the original characters, too.

I bet 95% of the people reading this posting could do better than that. And so can George Lucas.

Personally I never objected to the prequels. I dont even dislike Jar Jar Binks. So you really cannot claim I'm an overly critical watcher. But the Disney triology is utter garbage, makes no sense whatsoever, and is highly disrespectful to the originals.

Carpe Diem

BenRG

• coprophage

Any idea what 'Rangers of the New Republic' might be like? I'm sort of hoping for something about an elite military/police unit of the New Republic Armed Forces who have a variety of adventures protecting people from pirates, criminal syndicates, the Imperial Remnant and various other bad people without having to resort to flashy Space Magic Powers.

"We're nothing compared to you, Master Skywalker!"

"Maybe, but there are more of you than there are of us. That means that you can do more good for far more people than we ever could hope to!"
 -- Quote I'd love to see at the end of the pilot episode
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2020, 06:46 by BenRG »
~~~~

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

I am curious if Rogue Squadron is going to be like the novel series where its reformed post DS2, or if its going to be the original Rogue Squadron with Commander Skywalker from post IV-pre VI.

Its probably the former but either would be awesome!

Rangers is kind of up in the air, but I imagine it will be a cowboy-esque series that resembles the Arizona and Texas Rangers of the Old West. If it turns out to be the New Republic's Imperial Remanent Hunting team, that would be cool too.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter

I think it's supposed to be Cara Dune's series, but we'll see if she gets it. A lot of folks are speaking out against her and Disney might not want to take the hit of giving her her own series

Tova

• coprophage

As a YouTuber (Shadiversty) stated recently, the Disney triology isnt actually canon anyway. Its just poor fanfiction. Thats how I see it, too.

The first of these movies was bad enough, being nothing more than a variation of the original movie A New Hope. But the other two movies have been plothole galore. And they destroyed the original characters, too.

Oh, yeah, let's get into this discussion again. That would be great. I would love that.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage

I think it's supposed to be Cara Dune's series, but we'll see if she gets it. A lot of folks are speaking out against her and Disney might not want to take the hit of giving her her own series

I think that Ms Dune's place is safe enough. Disney seems to have made a policy decision of late that it is no longer playing the political game and just going to create the shows and movies that it can sell to the largest possible audience and including the most bankable stars, no matter what their Internet reputation.
~~~~

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

I can't wait to see some gritty rebellion actions pre-episode 4 (no offense Rebels).

Also the video is misleading, its not really a trailer of the show so much as a brief look behind the scenes as a trailer.

Patty Jenkins also had a small video posted about Rogue Squadrons:

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.

I think that Ms Dune's place is safe enough. Disney seems to have made a policy decision of late that it is no longer playing the political game and just going to create the shows and movies that it can sell to the largest possible audience and including the most bankable stars, no matter what their Internet reputation.

Or, since it could easily be significantly before/after The Mandalorian, they might just recast with another physically imposing woman if Carano doesn't learn to keep the more odious/idiotic of her opinions to herself. I imagine that, after the Rise of Skywalker and Gunn fiascos, the mouse didn't learn to reject internet opinions completely so much as raise the level of "the internet must be this pissed off for us to care" above the normal noise floor of bloviating bloggers.
Quis pater tibi est?

BenRG

• coprophage

Rogue Shark Productions have just announced their second film, The Mauraders' Gauntlet. It doesn't look like it's a direct sequel to 'The Lost Patrol' but the early FX shots and creature effects already shown on their YouTube channel certainly catch the eye.

~~~~

TheEvilDog

Gina Carano will not be appearing in the third season of the Mandolorian, having been fired by LucasArts for her behaviour on social media. The most recent incident was where she compared being a Republican to being a Jewish person during the Holocaust.

BenRG

• coprophage

Actually, that isn't what Lucasfilm's press release said at all. If anything, I understood that she'd been let go before this particular incident. Why? Because the story of Din Djarin and his friends has ended. We're moving onto Boba Fett now.

That said, yeah, she made it pretty much politically impossible to rehire her for future appearances of that group.
~~~~

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

Theres a Mando season 3 though... So Din's story isn't over yet.

TheEvilDog

And there was supposed to be a Cara Dune centric series that ended up being cancelled late last year, precisely because of her behaviour on Twitter.

So Ben, read between the lines.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

She’s a toxic arsehole and Disney doesn’t want that attached to the Mouse?  Q’uelle suprise.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

The original sequel trilogy (fucking hell I can't believe I just typed that) very badly lacks focus and was planned out far worse than any other movie (aside from Solo).

EDIT: avoiding double post.

I think it's interesting that you should mention that because I think that there are a lot of similar commercial and artistic motivations. The Kelvin Timeline exists because J J Abrams wanted to be able to tell stories in a Star Trek-like universe without being too limited by three decades of franchise canon plus several tonnes of official supporting material. The Abrams/Johnson Sequel Trilogy had a lot of the same pressures on it: Wanting to have a distinct and clear 'Disney Star Wars' universe separate from but tangentially connected to the classic stories so that original tales could be told without being too limited by existing canon.

It seems that a lot of the same problems have also been encountered by Disney that have also been encountered by Paramount and CBS: The majority of the fan base wants stuff in line with the existing canon and response to the 'updated' universes that have been presented in the last decade or so has been increasingly lukewarm. I'm not sure what Trek's position is but I understand that Disney Star Wars is barely breaking even and may even be running at a deficit, so a radical change of direction is definitely necessary for Disney. Redoing three entire main thread films from scratch would be a hugely radical and enormously risky step, I agree. A lot depends on just how desperate Disney is to rebuild bridges with the majority of the Star Wars fan-base.

[Snip]
But they have so much to work with already with SW and they just want to cast it all away save a few names and nostalgia beats? They could have easily worked well within what already was and could have done their own take just fine. Rogue One was probably my favorite of the recent-ish Star Wars movies mostly by virtue of it actually having a solid coherent story to tell on top of it's strengths.

That's kind of the thing with why there's some incredibly disappointing works that try to establish themselves as part of the original Oz books mythos (Oz the Great and Powerful). They try to add a bunch of new stuff while all but ignoring what's already there to work with.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage

Signal-Boosting a brilliant audio-visual essay on the alternative nature of heroes, heroism and good as exemplified by Luke Skywaker in the Star Wars original trilogy. I, at least, came away from this acknowledging that maybe I didn't understand the story that Lucas was telling with the Skywalker Saga anywhere near as well as I thought.

~~~~

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

The Book of Boba Fett trailer came out today.

Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

BenRG

• coprophage

Maybe Boba is honest in wanting to be a good guy, of sorts, like the protagonist of Mafia 3. However, it is hard to rule equitably over a kingdom of thieves who wish to only become rich no matter what it costs everyone else.
~~~~

Gyrre

Maybe Boba is honest in wanting to be a good guy, of sorts, like the protagonist of Mafia 3. However, it is hard to rule equitably over a kingdom of thieves who wish to only become rich no matter what it costs everyone else.

He did have quite a bit of time for self reflection while stuck in that Sarlacc (sp?) Pit. The only other thing he really had to do doen there was go a bit mad from isolation (unless there were a few others down there with him).
a real-ass gaddam sword

Blue Kitty

• Twitter

Looks like Rangers of the New Republic is officially dead

Blue Kitty

• Twitter

Overall Book of Boba Fett was just okay. I'd say the last 3 episodes are its best episodes, though the flashbacks were the better parts of the series

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo

I'll reserve judgement on Boba Fett until season 2. The first season was just 'meh' for me. I'm not a big fan of excessive flashbacks.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

I kind of gave Boba Fett a pass as I wasn't really interested in it. I may watch it at some point but its not high priority. The Kenobi trailer on the other hand, gave me chills.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

I will watch anything with Ewan MacGregor in it, even if I think that it's going to be terrible.  He's pretty much always a delight.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Blue Kitty

• Twitter

It's kind of funny the whiplash we've gotten with Mando and Fett being all after Return of the Jedi going back to the days before New Hope now. I can't wait, I'm always up for new Star Wars, and we get to see some live action Inquisitors

I wonder if they'll do the lightsaber thing or if that's too silly in live action

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Ewan McGregor back to make another generation of queer kids have The Realisation, I see

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

Episodes 1 and 2 for Obi-Wan came out today. They were great. I am a bit confused on the ending of episode 2 considering what I know about the Inquisitors from Rebels.

(click to show/hide)

Tova

• coprophage

I enjoyed the first two episodes as well. Solid. The excitement meter isn't redlining yet, but I have some hopes for the remaining episodes.

And seeing as I'm back here, I'll mention that could only get through the first two episodes of Boba Fett because I found them to be a bore.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel

Unfortunately, the way they did it, almost half of Boba Fett will be required continuity to understand the Mandalorian timeline for future "boxed sets" of that series.

Edit: should also add, enjoying Obi Wan as well. At first I was starting to wonder
(click to show/hide)
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Tova

• coprophage

Unfortunately, the way they did it, almost half of Boba Fett will be required continuity to understand the Mandalorian timeline for future "boxed sets" of that series.

Eh, I'm happy to drop Mandalorian in that case, which I feel is past its best regardless. I resent that kind of thing (which is why Marvel remains firmly off my watch list).

BenRG

• coprophage

(click to show/hide)

I think that you're misunderstanding the timeline.

(click to show/hide)

Also, Jedi: Fallen Order 2 has been announced for some time in 2023
~~~~

Tova

• coprophage

(click to show/hide)

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

So.

Obi-wan huh?
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

Just watched episode 3 of Obi-Wan. I am loving this and based off the formula of the heroes journey they seem to be doing I am pretty sure in the next episode
(click to show/hide)
Its just a guess, I have no fore knowledge, but being that we've seen elements of it in the first two episodes
(click to show/hide)
I have a feeling it will happen.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.

(click to show/hide)
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Gyrre

Has anyone else been reading any of the stories in the AU where Darth Vader picks Luke up from Tatooine to become the new head Engineer of the Executor (a.k.a. The Lady)?
I'm currently reading through How To Give A Presentation To The Imperial Court While Accidentally Committing Light Treason By Making A Friend by AO3 user Jackdaw_Kraai.

[Yes, these have pretty much all had lengthy titles.]
a real-ass gaddam sword

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

I just finished and wow. I loved it. I was not expecting what happened with Reva, but the whole episode was great and the endings all were perfect. I think episode 6 is more or less what fans wanted as a Kenobi show since the conclusion of Revenge of the Sith.

(click to show/hide)

I know people will nitpick the entire 6 episode series apart, but in all honesty, I loved this series. The final episode was wonderful.  O0

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I watched the last episode tonight, and I concur.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Tova

• coprophage

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

I’m finally getting to the end of the “Obi-Wan”, and I have enjoyed the series thoroughly thus far.

Edit:  Sigh.  I saw on Wikipedia that the actress playing Reva got a lot of hateful crap.  Personally, I thought that she made a great antagonist for most of the series, playing the kind of character that you love to hate and doing so very well.  Toxic fandoms really do ruin everything.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2022, 22:40 by hedgie »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up