hot coffee
hot fancy coffee (capucino, latte, etc)
hot coco
hot tottie
other
stay strong
Clinton drink more water

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 4401-4405 (Nov 23th to Nov 27th, 2020)  (Read 18477 times)

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
Re: WCDT 4401-4405 (Nov 23th to Nov 27th, 2020)
« Reply #100 on: 25 Nov 2020, 23:31 »

Jeph is very into his characters experiencing growth 😊 I like that.

Well, the turkeys aren't talking about their junk this year. Guess that's progress ...
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #101 on: 26 Nov 2020, 00:16 »

Sven might not be in line for canonisation, but it occurs to me, yet again, to wonder exactly what it is he gets out of interacting with Dora, like, ever. A jealous kid sibling might have a tiny element of charm when you're both young, but at this point it's just rather pathetic, at least in as much as their dynamic colours seemingly every single interaction they have. Leaving aside the fact that he was a bit of a douche in the past, I don't really see why he needs her approval in any respect in the first place6, particularly when she remains so blind to her own flaws and doesn't ever seem to have done anything to improve herself.

Try living with said jealous kid sibling. Especially one who insists their older siblings were the ones who were spoiled and not their brat-ass.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #102 on: 26 Nov 2020, 00:56 »

Jeph is very into his characters experiencing growth 😊 I like that.

Well, the turkeys aren't talking about their junk this year. Guess that's progress ...

That's because their junk was chopped off before they were shoved into the oven...
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #103 on: 26 Nov 2020, 01:30 »

Oh right, it's US Turkey day tomorrow.

(Canadian)
On Patreon, Jeph commented that he had forgotten about doing the turkey comic until the last moment, since he lives in Canada now.

Well, personally, I like it. It's just so... 2020.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #104 on: 26 Nov 2020, 01:55 »

Comic up, site down

In case any people missed it, note that Jeph acknowledges the recent problems with the web site at the bottom of today's comic.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Gyrre

« Reply #105 on: 26 Nov 2020, 07:28 »

[Snip]
Oh them being siblings doesn't mean it's just okay, but (most) siblings are close enough or care enough for each other that such questionable actions are less offensive because they can trust each other to not act with intentional malice.
This largely depends on how dysfunctional your family is, --in some cases-- if one or more siblings has bothered working through any of the childhood crap, and in other cases if the one who got bipolar disorder and is borderline schizophrenic has acknowledged either and gone to a psychiatrist for help[1].

It usually is, my mother is a good cook 😊 She does tend to get a bit passive-agressive about how much work it is, and how much time she spent in the kitchen, and that it takes a day to do the cleanup... So this year we put our foot down and divvied up the tasks 😉

Everybody helping definitely helps. Learning how to cook your favorite dishes is also nice. So much knowledge has been lost already, so hang on to some of it is good. Even if it is just the perfect stuffing recipe. :lol:

[1]We all three got the hereditary depression issues, one's also boarderline schizophrenic (amongst other undiagnosed issues), and somehow I managed to be the only one w/o bipolar disorder. Yay just being depressed! ....Wait. Shit.

EDIT; I've been recently informed that my older brother only has mild depression. Apparently the mood swings were bog-standard alcoholism. Thankfully he quit drinking.
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2020, 02:13 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Potato Farmer

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #106 on: 26 Nov 2020, 09:39 »

This largely depends on how dysfunctional your family is, --in some cases-- if one or more siblings has bothered working through any of the childhood crap, and in other cases if the one who got bipolar disorder and is borderline schizophrenic has acknowledged either and gone to a psychiatrist for help[1].

[1]We all three got the hereditary depression issues, one's also boarderline schizophrenic (amongst other undiagnosed issues), and somehow I managed to be the only one w/o bipolar disorder. Yay just being depressed! ....Wait. Shit.

Yeah, that's why I added the (most). I've got three siblings myself but my oldest brother and I just do not get along at all. We're both autistic but our individual traits are completely at odds. I'm strongly inclined towards neurotic tics and he's sensitive towards stimulation. The other way around he appears to be somewhat lacking in reflexive empathy and I react very poorly to what I perceive as egocentrism.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #107 on: 26 Nov 2020, 10:04 »

Yay just being depressed! ....Wait. Shit.

Hey, this year being already depressed turned out to be an advantage - I already had all the survival skills I needed to cope with isolation. “Got the corona blues? I have so much to teach you about getting through it!”
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Gyrre

« Reply #108 on: 26 Nov 2020, 10:22 »

Things I'm thankful for......
Well, my depression is usually manageable w/o medication.
I'm too stubborn to die, so no suicidal thoughts.
Mods that correct my periodically botched thread titles (thanks pwhodges/Cold :-D)
And forumites that tolerate my inane ramblings.

Yay just being depressed! ....Wait. Shit.

Hey, this year being already depressed turned out to be an advantage - I already had all the survival skills I needed to cope with isolation. “Got the corona blues? I have so much to teach you about getting through it!”

This is true. Though there was a pointed where I probably should have beenon antidepressants in March and October.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #109 on: 26 Nov 2020, 10:30 »

It usually is, my mother is a good cook 😊 She does tend to get a bit passive-agressive about how much work it is, and how much time she spent in the kitchen, and that it takes a day to do the cleanup... So this year we put our foot down and divvied up the tasks 😉

Looks like a "Friends" Thanksgiving episode to me. Which, by the way, are the only things that make me be aware of Thanksgiving, besides Jeph's OMG Turkeys comics.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #110 on: 26 Nov 2020, 18:05 »

Comic's up.

Don't be a snob Dora. Sven's songs might be in bad taste, but all his money has been earned legally and above board. It's not like the flower arrangements are funded by human trafficking.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #111 on: 26 Nov 2020, 18:40 »

May: "Wait a minute. Donating for my body fucked up Dora's wedding too? Well SHIT."

Hopefully no one tell her....

Romanticide

• Plantmonster
« Reply #112 on: 26 Nov 2020, 20:15 »

By this point Dora has probably  throw enough stupid ideas for dire songs that she probably deserves that a cut of those goes to her wedding xD XD

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #113 on: 26 Nov 2020, 21:30 »

1) Know a guy who used to draw cartoons for Hustler. His wife was a teacher. She held up one of hubby's cartoons, smiled and said: "This paid for the new living room."
1a) Some of his tamer stuff gets merchandised by Hallmark. I saw one of his cards in the local Hallmark store. The rather prim-looking lady running the store said brightly: "That's our best seller!"
2) I was talking to the septic tank guy as a few years' worth of life's by-products flowed out of our septic tank and into his pump truck. The hose couplings did a decent job, but some smell still got through. I asked him if the smell ever got to him. "Smells like money to me," he said.
Pull the stick out, Dora.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #114 on: 26 Nov 2020, 23:04 »

I've got a feeling that 'funding Dora and Tai's wedding' is going to be an arc of sorts. Enough characters are going to end up assisting from their own future event funds that someone is going to come up with the idea of a multiple wedding to maximise the pooling of funds to the best possible event despite the expenditures on someone else. Taira, Claireten, Daligold and Faybles weddings all at the same combined event?

You know, I do wonder if Dora's cynical ideas are the source of many of Sven's best song titles!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #115 on: 27 Nov 2020, 00:45 »

The recording company that buys Sven's music would have people on the payroll whose misfortune it is to have to play it. Imagine the poor aspiring musician (who took the job just to make ends meet), after years of playing this dreck, finally meeting the author. Would Sven survive?  :-D
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #116 on: 27 Nov 2020, 00:52 »

Here's a solid prediction: Sven actually records "I Went Down..." and it's a hit! "A welcome return to form after a dubious experimental phase", according to the pundits. Sven, being Sven, signs all the profits for the track over to Dora. He even insists that the dedication 'For Dora' appear on the liner notes.

Just how does Dora react to this?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

« Reply #117 on: 27 Nov 2020, 02:29 »

So, in light of Turkey Day being yesterday, if anyone's interested, here's the link to the Mashpee Wampanoag tribe's website. Yes, you can donate to the tribe if you're willing and able.

Without their help[1] in 1621, those Brownist Seperatists[2] would had starved to death.

[1]and help from Tisquantum "Squanto", the sole survivor of the village at Plymouth rock prior to the Pilgrim's arrival. He and Samoset had been escaping slavery in Spain at the time.
[2] the pilgrims weren't Puritans. I have no idea why we get taught that.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #118 on: 27 Nov 2020, 06:47 »

Taira, Claireten, Daligold and Faybles weddings all at the same combined event?
Taira, obviously, and Faybles I'll sign up for.  The others still have things to work out before they get hitched.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #119 on: 27 Nov 2020, 08:44 »

So, in light of Turkey Day being yesterday, if anyone's interested, here's the link to the Mashpee Wampanoag tribe's website. Yes, you can donate to the tribe if you're willing and able.

Without their help[1] in 1621, those Brownist Seperatists[2] would had starved to death.

One of my several-greats grandmothers was a Wampanoag.

What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #120 on: 27 Nov 2020, 12:31 »

1) Know a guy who used to draw cartoons for Hustler. His wife was a teacher. She held up one of hubby's cartoons, smiled and said: "This paid for the new living room."
1a) Some of his tamer stuff gets merchandised by Hallmark. I saw one of his cards in the local Hallmark store. The rather prim-looking lady running the store said brightly: "That's our best seller!"
2) I was talking to the septic tank guy as a few years' worth of life's by-products flowed out of our septic tank and into his pump truck. The hose couplings did a decent job, but some smell still got through. I asked him if the smell ever got to him. "Smells like money to me," he said.
Pull the stick out, Dora.

Pecunia non olet (money doesn't smell)

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #121 on: 27 Nov 2020, 12:47 »

I think Sven just got his next song idea. He better give Dora writing credit, particularly if she doesn't want it.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #122 on: 27 Nov 2020, 16:19 »

The recording company that buys Sven's music would have people on the payroll whose misfortune it is to have to play it. Imagine the poor aspiring musician (who took the job just to make ends meet), after years of playing this dreck, finally meeting the author. Would Sven survive?  :-D
"Smells like money," as the septic tank guy said.
Or, as our artist was once wont to say: "How are those Bullshit Artistic Integrity Dollars spending at the grocery store?" Although I think he did draw a line in the sand on that.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #123 on: 27 Nov 2020, 17:03 »

Pecunia non olet
`Unusually large' transactions, tend to reek---say some nosier, but mine suggests the ranker scents, becoming more thoroughly clean, ought worry some.. Of course, intelligent laundrers avoid such error: to not the most perfect anolfaction, but a careful, trace scent, of a mild-mannered history inferred.
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #124 on: 30 Nov 2020, 07:32 »

I dont really like the last Sven-May arc.

It feels very contrived and forced to me.
Carpe Diem
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up