THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 00:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Since Roko is ticklish and squeemish about chassis innards, does rainy weather also make her drowsy?

yes
no
good question
but she's a robot
spathe ham

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 4116-4120 (14th to 18th Dec, 2020)  (Read 50358 times)

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
Re: WCDT 4116-4120 (14th to 18th Dec, 2020)
« Reply #50 on: 14 Dec 2020, 18:29 »

I don't really understand how a changing room would help. Most of the time, the only ones in the shop are Bubbles, Faye, and Sam, and they're all going to be actively working on the procedure. Yes, the ogling was out of line, but a changing room wouldn't do anything because they'd be seeing Mille in her underwear the whole time anyway.

It’s a dignity thing. When you go to the doctor, they’re going to see and feel your body, but they leave the room when you strip.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #51 on: 14 Dec 2020, 18:44 »

Comic's up.

Nice kick Millie. Hope your myomers feel better now. Also, I like seeing Sam uphold the reduce-reuse-recycle principle :D
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #52 on: 14 Dec 2020, 18:47 »

Well, it's her last name now.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #53 on: 14 Dec 2020, 19:19 »

But for what nefarious purpose does SKULLMASTER, MASTER OF SKULLS plan to use the LEGENDARY OBSIDIAN FEMUR OF GROBULAX?

Surely, nothing good can come of this!
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #54 on: 14 Dec 2020, 19:24 »

It's the first step in her metamorphosis to SKELETONMASTER.

May God have mercy on our souls skeletons.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #55 on: 14 Dec 2020, 19:52 »

Awww. "You can pet my hair if you want."

MrSmith

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #56 on: 14 Dec 2020, 20:01 »

What exactly do you feel Faye should have 'got' as recompense for what she 'dished out'?

Thats a good question, normally for villains I like to see poetic justice dished out. I really dislike it in movies when the underlings get shot but the big boss has to be taken alive to go to court, I prefer seeing the boss get executed.

Having said that Faye isn't a villain, rather a self-absorbed, mean bully. Yeah shes getting better but that cruelty is still there and I'd say that any friendships she has is due to this being a comic and not real life. But she isn't a villain so what should Faye have 'got"

I can't say specifically, it might have been ironic to see Faye on the receiving end of some physical violence (so she can really understand what her actions were like for Marten) that she initiates ie getting drunk and harassing the wrong person   

If thats a bit much maybe Bubbles breaks off the relationship after seeing how much of a bully Faye really is or at least putting the relationship on hold to show Faye he consequences of her actions

As I say Faye has improved but that mean streak she has is still there

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #57 on: 14 Dec 2020, 20:04 »

Ask not what SKULLMASTER, MASTER OF SKULLS intends to do with that rare treasure.  Knowing can only lead to madness.

Grobulax sounds like the kind of weird word I'd make up.

anonymsly

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #58 on: 14 Dec 2020, 20:45 »

Skullmaster is very fun, but I’m here to give props to Sam for asking Millefeuille for the old bone instead of Bubbles/Faye or even just taking it. It’s no longer in Millefeuille’s body, I doubt she was going to keep it, I doubt Union Robotics would do anything with it except recycle it in some way.

But Sam asked Millefeuille if it was OK. That’s a good respectful Sam, even if SKULLMASTER did the talking.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #59 on: 14 Dec 2020, 21:02 »

Smart of SKULLMASTER to lay claim to that femur before Ruthless does.

awkwardness

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #60 on: 14 Dec 2020, 21:22 »

Fay got her ass kicked...literally. Faith in the strip is restored.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #61 on: 14 Dec 2020, 22:46 »

I hope Millie remembers to put her pants back on before she leaves…
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #62 on: 14 Dec 2020, 22:59 »

I am genuinely upset at the accusations being levelled at me. I have never said that any character in QC is terrible, and to even critique an action of theirs is rare for me. And this is what I get.

That is all I have to say for now.
Honest question: what made you think the accusations were directed at you? I agree, you're always one of the first to stand up for characters.

Great question. Probably a combination of not reading with care, and oversensitivity on my part. I apologise to all, and to Dandi Andi in particular.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #63 on: 14 Dec 2020, 23:19 »

Well, we can confirm that Millie's newly-repaired leg is working as intended.

Hands up anyone who, like me, is genuinely surprised that Millie followed through with Bubbles's suggestion. I'm thinking that a certain viridian scibot has some hidden depths that we're suddenly seeing come out! Probably the sort of stuff we normally only see when she uses that drunkness app.

I'm sort of looking forward to seeing what happens when Sam comes home today. I mean, Jim and Veronica must be used to her weird interests, tastes and her approach to reality. However, to have actually come home with someone's old femur to act as her fantasy-world ceremonial mace?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #64 on: 14 Dec 2020, 23:20 »

I hope Millie remembers to put her pants back on before she leaves…

At least she doesn't need bigger ones this time!

Killspree

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #65 on: 14 Dec 2020, 23:36 »

Just wondering if this behavior would have been acceptable if she had asked for a human femur?  If not then she's treating Millie as a thing and not a person.  But that's my opinion.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #66 on: 14 Dec 2020, 23:49 »

[...] Having said that Faye isn't a villain, rather a self-absorbed, mean bully. Yeah shes getting better but that cruelty is still there and I'd say that any friendships she has is due to this being a comic and not real life. [...]
Beautiful women dont get away with a lot of things in your reality ?
Carpe Diem

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #67 on: 14 Dec 2020, 23:50 »

Just wondering if this behavior would have been acceptable if she had asked for a human femur?  If not then she's treating Millie as a thing and not a person.  But that's my opinion.

You can't really compare the two, though. A human femur would be classified as medical waste (and possibly a biohazard?). So Sam might want it (I would) but she wouldn't be allowed it.

What do Faye's looks have to do with her behavior?

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #68 on: 14 Dec 2020, 23:50 »

Neither can an human femur be replaced. Are Bubbles and Faye treating Millie as a thing by offering such a service?
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #69 on: 14 Dec 2020, 23:51 »

Hands up anyone who, like me, is genuinely surprised that Millie followed through with Bubbles's suggestion.
*raises hand*
Carpe Diem

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #70 on: 14 Dec 2020, 23:57 »

I really dislike it in movies when the underlings get shot but the big boss has to be taken alive to go to court, I prefer seeing the boss get executed.

So you prefer barbaric responses to barbaric acts. Let's agree to disagree.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2020, 00:06 by traroth »

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #71 on: 15 Dec 2020, 00:11 »

Hands up anyone who, like me, is genuinely surprised that Millie followed through with Bubbles's suggestion. I'm thinking that a certain viridian scibot has some hidden depths that we're suddenly seeing come out! Probably the sort of stuff we normally only see when she uses that drunkness app.

Well, I guess she had some feelings to express about the entire experience.

Well, for kids, it's probably kind of cool. So yes, I think there might be a chance that would happen.

Incidentally, I did see a story once, about someone who had a hip replacement, and took the excised bone home to fashion into the head of his cane.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #72 on: 15 Dec 2020, 00:14 »

Hands up anyone who, like me, is genuinely surprised that Millie followed through with Bubbles's suggestion.

I was unsurprised. It's a pretty typical QC gag.

But also... Millie probably wouldn't have done it on her initiative, but with encouragement from Bubbles, I could see her going for it.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #73 on: 15 Dec 2020, 00:25 »

[...] A human femur would be classified as medical waste (and possibly a biohazard?). [...]
Well, of course you wont give a human bone to a kid to use as a toy.

But otherwise human bones are just bones. Sure, right out of surgery a complete human bone wouldnt be allowed. But you can clean it and then its no problem.

You can buy a complete human skeleton and put it on display. And if you pay enough, it can be from a real human being (though it will still be from one of the less fortunate countries, and it will be creepy, because who knows if that human being actually died from natural causes), not just synthetic. IIRC one of my schools had such a skeleton.

I didnt said it would.
Carpe Diem

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #74 on: 15 Dec 2020, 00:27 »

You seemed to imply that Faye gets away with a lot because she is a beautiful woman. Is that not what you intended to imply? And if not, what were you trying to say?

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #75 on: 15 Dec 2020, 00:31 »

I was unsurprised. It's a pretty typical QC gag.

But also... Millie probably wouldn't have done it on her initiative, but with encouragement from Bubbles, I could see her going for it.

I'm surprised by Faye letting it happen without retaliation.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2020, 07:05 by traroth »

MrSmith

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #76 on: 15 Dec 2020, 00:36 »

I'm confused, when did I mention her looks?

MrSmith

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #77 on: 15 Dec 2020, 00:38 »

I dont consider it barbaric

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #78 on: 15 Dec 2020, 00:52 »

What exactly do you feel Faye should have 'got' as recompense for what she 'dished out'?

Thats a good question, normally for villains I like to see poetic justice dished out. I really dislike it in movies when the underlings get shot but the big boss has to be taken alive to go to court, I prefer seeing the boss get executed.

Having said that Faye isn't a villain, rather a self-absorbed, mean bully. Yeah shes getting better but that cruelty is still there and I'd say that any friendships she has is due to this being a comic and not real life. But she isn't a villain so what should Faye have 'got"

I can't say specifically, it might have been ironic to see Faye on the receiving end of some physical violence (so she can really understand what her actions were like for Marten) that she initiates ie getting drunk and harassing the wrong person   

If thats a bit much maybe Bubbles breaks off the relationship after seeing how much of a bully Faye really is or at least putting the relationship on hold to show Faye he consequences of her actions

You say she isn't a villain yet you both paint her as one and seem to she receive comeuppance.

If this is only your view relating to fiction, I think we are reading different comics.

If this 'eye for an eye' view extends to reality, then we are simply different people.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #79 on: 15 Dec 2020, 03:58 »

By the definition Killspree seems to be using, Bubbles is a thing.  Is it illegal, immoral, unethical, or fattening for a thing to offer to upgrade/repair another thing?  Does the answer change if a human is involved in the transaction?
Neither can an human femur be replaced. Are Bubbles and Faye treating Millie as a thing by offering such a service?
Well actually, Total Femoral Replacement has its own CPT code, so yes, you can.

And unrelated: Millies original femur was repaired.  The Grobulax femur does not show any sign of repair.  Have I missed something?
This space intentionally left almost blank.

BlueFatima

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #80 on: 15 Dec 2020, 04:52 »

I wish humans could make payments by fistbump. When COVID ended, shopping could become a lot more fun. “Time to pay for groceries—oh, yeah!”

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #81 on: 15 Dec 2020, 05:11 »

You seemed to imply that Faye gets away with a lot because she is a beautiful woman. Is that not what you intended to imply? And if not, what were you trying to say?
I was presented with the claim that the same behavior from different people will always result in the same reaction, and I disagree.

An infamous example is how the police will arrest a rich person, versus a poor person. They will ask the rich guy very nicely, and only once they are absolutely certain he is guilty. That will even happen if the guy did outrageous crimes, such as murder.

Likewise, a person thats attractive will get away with more things than a person thats not. That has been scientifically studied, but its already pretty obvious in regular life, too.

And yes, Faye is mentioned as relatively attractive throughout the comic.

I'm confused, when did I mention her looks?
Not sure why you would have to mention that first for others to allowed to point it out.

I'm surprised by Faye lettingit happen without retaliation.
Why, obviously she clearly recognizes that she deserved that one.
Carpe Diem

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
WCDT 4116-4120 (14th to 18th Dec, 2020)
« Reply #82 on: 15 Dec 2020, 05:22 »

And unrelated: Millies original femur was repaired.  The Grobulax femur does not show any sign of repair.  Have I missed something?

If you look very closely in the last panel, you can see some reinforcement in the middle of the femur.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #83 on: 15 Dec 2020, 05:54 »

Lots of folks seems to be dogpiling Faye. Again.

Bubbles started it. And was more harsh than any of us.  :-P

Personally, I feel Faye displayed absolutely terrible behavior in the past but has also grown tremendously in the past years. Seems more worthwhile to further stimulate and encourage that growth while still calling out these instances of poor behavior as they occur.

This is precisely what is happening, no? We're just calling her out for this instance of behaviour that may be detrimental to her business.

No-one is "destroying" Faye. No need to be dramatic.

Yes, many, like yourself, are just calling out the behavior, but I was specifically referring to some here that were apparently hoping for things like their shop to fail, which I don't think is "dramatic" to consider 'destroying' somebody.
ANyway, I found it annoying how some immediately called out Faye specifically for this lame and inappropriate joke while not saying anything about the terrible objectification Bubbles, Faye and Brun all did.

EDIT: read subsequent posts and wanted to point out that I wasn't specifically directing anything at the reasonable posters here, including Tova.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2020, 06:01 by dutchrvl »

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #84 on: 15 Dec 2020, 06:14 »

Thank you for actually posting your thoughts, and I mean that.

Let's just say we have very different ideas about what 'poetic justice' (or justice in general) means.
I do want to add that you say any friendships Faye has is due to this being a comic, which makes me wonder how much of a variety of friendships you have observed, because at least in my experience there are plenty of friendships with one or multiple people exhibiting this type of behavior every once in a while (not condoning it, merely stating a fact).

Anyway, I do very much realize that readers have very different perceptions of characters. For me personally, while I see Faye as a person with her share of flaws, I don't see true cruelty in her, and I see a lot of traits I value in my friends, such as fierce loyalty and willingness to help out in need.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #85 on: 15 Dec 2020, 07:06 »

I dont consider it barbaric

That's exactly my point.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #86 on: 15 Dec 2020, 07:11 »

By the definition Killspree seems to be using, Bubbles is a thing.  Is it illegal, immoral, unethical, or fattening for a thing to offer to upgrade/repair another thing?  Does the answer change if a human is involved in the transaction?
Well actually, Total Femoral Replacement has its own CPT code, so yes, you can.

I stand corrected. Incredible what medicine is capable of, nowadays. Not sure about what it changes on the ethical level...
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2020, 07:17 by traroth »

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #87 on: 15 Dec 2020, 07:16 »

Between yesterday's comic and today's, we missed the really funny part where Faye got literaly her ass kicked by Millie. I really would have want to see that...  :-D

Gyrre

« Reply #88 on: 15 Dec 2020, 07:38 »

I wish humans could make payments by fistbump. When COVID ended, shopping could become a lot more fun. “Time to pay for groceries—oh, yeah!”
Be careful what you wish for. That crap'll come with an RFID and a mini mic if you aren't super specific.

You can't really compare the two, though. A human femur would be classified as medical waste (and possibly a biohazard?). So Sam might want it (I would) but she wouldn't be allowed it.

.......So, you've never had to deal with a lady who can usually get out of most of the trouble she gets herself into by batting her eyelashes and showing a bit of cleavage?
I've have to deal with an idiot like that at work who's finally figured out it doesn't work on me after two years and I give zero fucks about who her boyfriend is. She actually tried to accuse me of picking on her[1] and management basically looked at her like she sprouted a second head because they know I do my damnedest to treat everyone equally.[2]

[1]she's a frequent GMP violator and I'm the line inspector
[2] I hate double standards and I'll be damned if I give anyone a leg to stand on with accusing me of being a hypocrite. I'm not even a hardass about any of it either.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #89 on: 15 Dec 2020, 07:54 »

Between yesterday's comic and today's, we missed the really funny part where Faye got literaly her ass kicked by Millie. I really would have want to see that...  :-D

Basically, Millie kicks Faye, hard but in an awkward and delicate way as if she isn't 100% sure of what she's doing.

MILLIE: "I'm sorry!"

FAYE: "OW! Uh... It's... okay?"
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #90 on: 15 Dec 2020, 08:31 »

If you look very closely in the last panel, you can see some reinforcement in the middle of the femur.
I finally saw that.  Guess I'm getting old - black on black is getting harder to distinguish than it used to be.
This space intentionally left almost blank.

MrSmith

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #91 on: 15 Dec 2020, 09:51 »

That's exactly my point.

The issue is it isn't barbaric

MrSmith

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #92 on: 15 Dec 2020, 09:55 »

Not sure why you would have to mention that first for others to allowed to point it out.

Sorry I'm still not getting what your point is

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #93 on: 15 Dec 2020, 09:56 »

That's exactly my point.

The issue is it isn't barbaric

That isn't an argument.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

MrSmith

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #94 on: 15 Dec 2020, 09:59 »

You say she isn't a villain yet you both paint her as one and seem to she receive comeuppance.

If this is only your view relating to fiction, I think we are reading different comics.

If this 'eye for an eye' view extends to reality, then we are simply different people.

An 'eye for an eye' can mean different things, in this instance I don't believe Faye has fully realised the consequences of her actions and still acts, and gets away with, being 'snarky' because its her 'thing' whereas in reality its still just being mean albiet at a lesser level than before

Maybe it shows growth

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #95 on: 15 Dec 2020, 10:09 »

Mille, don't give the old femur to Sam. See if UR will give you a materials credit for it. Kind of like some shops will give you credit for an old car or tractor battery when you buy a new one.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

MrSmith

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #96 on: 15 Dec 2020, 10:28 »

That isn't an argument.

Agree to disagree

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #97 on: 15 Dec 2020, 11:23 »

Mille, don't give the old femur to Sam. See if UR will give you a materials credit for it. Kind of like some shops will give you credit for an old car or tractor battery when you buy a new one.

That's usually the case either because you can refurbish the old part (usually why things like alternators have a refundable core charge) or the materials themselves can be recycled and reused (why things like batteries have a core charge). There's not currently a supply chain for industrial-recycling carbon fiber, but then, there's not sapient robots walking around IRL, either, so who knows what's the case in QC-land.

Edit to add that you definitely wouldn't be reusing a "refurbished" carbon fiber strut; Once a crack exists in carbon fiber, it is very difficult to stop it from propogating, and faith in the integrity of the repaired piece would be very low.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #98 on: 15 Dec 2020, 11:32 »

I was presented with the claim that the same behavior from different people will always result in the same reaction, and I disagree.

Ah, but that's not the claim you were presented with, now, is it? That's a strawman. Tut tut.

The claim was:

[...] any friendships she has is due to this being a comic and not real life.

In other words, that Faye would not have friends if she were a real person. And by the way, I don't know how I missed this post originally, because I agree 100% with Dandi Andi's reaction to it.

I guess my reasons for disagreeing are markedly different from yours.

The reason Faye has friends in the comic, and would have friends in real life, is that (just as we saw with May), she has a lot of positive qualities which her friends have seen and embraced.

What is true, I guess, is that in real life, there are some people who just can't see past the surface.

That's their loss.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #99 on: 15 Dec 2020, 12:34 »

.......So, you've never had to deal with a lady who can usually get out of most of the trouble she gets herself into by batting her eyelashes and showing a bit of cleavage?

Not that I'm aware of? Perhaps my question should've been more along the lines of: "Why should Faye's looks be able to get her out of trouble?" That sort of thing has always puzzled me, that people can get away with stuff just because they're considered attractive. That might have something to do with the fact that I don't really see people as 'beautiful' or 'ugly'. They look how they look, and I don't seem to quantify them that way. I do consider my husband attractive, but that has more to do with the fact that I'm in a relationship with him.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up