THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT August 9th - August 13th (4586-4590)  (Read 10383 times)

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
Re: WCDT August 9th - August 13th (4586-4590)
« Reply #50 on: 12 Aug 2021, 19:22 »

For a multiply-embodied hyper-AI, this could get awkward.

I'm picturing another of Yay's bodies suddenly bursting into tears in public...

Now I'm picturing all of Yay's other selves appearing at the Augustus front door, queueing for Aurelia-hugs...
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #51 on: 12 Aug 2021, 19:26 »

Like all the Minions at the end of Despicable Me?

I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #52 on: 12 Aug 2021, 19:44 »

Yay is, in many ways, somewhat akin to a child. You must remember this when considering their actions and their motivation.

They have not had a lifetime of practicing social and emotional skills. Which we all do, and still fuck it up all the time. They have had a lifetime of hiding, isolation, and learning from *outside observation*. which can only take you so far.

Yay is alien in many ways to our experience, but also? They are an Earthling. They are of us and our world and environments as much as they aren't. and almost all Earthlings of a certain complexity crave at least a bit of acceptance, companionship, at least a tiny bit of understanding. Haven't you seen the most hostile and un-human animals show affection in the ways of their kinds? Even if only a little? the internet is full of such videos.

and anyway, the fact that Yay can interact to this degree with other beings on this level of sentience goes to show perfectly well that, whatever Yay might be also, they are also this. And so they need, as we all do.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #53 on: 12 Aug 2021, 19:44 »

as for 'job', i don't know what you mean by that, IICIH, but if it means playing people and powers off of each other to keep them from noticing them

maybe no one needs to be doing that.

Baz_Yat

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #54 on: 12 Aug 2021, 20:25 »

Yay: We have, at our metaphorical fingertips, power that would make gods jealous. And yet... all we want is friends.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #55 on: 12 Aug 2021, 20:48 »

My head is just full of movie references today, this makes me think of the Genie in Disney's animated Aladdin (the one with Robin Williams, not Will Smith). In Yay's case it would be:

PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWERS!
Itty bitty social circle.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #56 on: 12 Aug 2021, 21:04 »

"Job" was Farideh's word, but Zoe had a well worked out line of thought that without Yay worse things would happen.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #57 on: 12 Aug 2021, 21:31 »

Who knew that mom vibes, unlike sarcasm, could be successfully transmitted electronically via teh intarwubs?
Clearly this is the reason for MommyMilkers420's popularity...
What the hell are YOU staring at?

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #58 on: 12 Aug 2021, 23:31 »

I think that what Roko taught Yay is that they don't need to exist on their own and that, indeed, their perspectives are narrowed and their behaviour has become unstable just because they have no external perspectives and social expectations to meet. Having friends has made them healthier.

To me, that last panel is Yay caught deep in a "I have no tear ducts yet I must cry" situation.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #59 on: 13 Aug 2021, 01:43 »

Yay is, in many ways, somewhat akin to a child. You must remember this when considering their actions and their motivation.

They have not had a lifetime of practicing social and emotional skills. Which we all do, and still fuck it up all the time. They have had a lifetime of hiding, isolation, and learning from *outside observation*. which can only take you so far.

Yay is alien in many ways to our experience, but also? They are an Earthling. They are of us and our world and environments as much as they aren't. and almost all Earthlings of a certain complexity crave at least a bit of acceptance, companionship, at least a tiny bit of understanding. Haven't you seen the most hostile and un-human animals show affection in the ways of their kinds? Even if only a little? the internet is full of such videos.

and anyway, the fact that Yay can interact to this degree with other beings on this level of sentience goes to show perfectly well that, whatever Yay might be also, they are also this. And so they need, as we all do.

" V'Ger is a child. I suggest you treat it as such."
"A child?"
"Yes, Captain, a child. Evolving, learning, searching, instinctively needing."
"Needing what?"
"Spock! This 'child' is about to wipe out every living thing on Earth. Now what do you suggest we do? Spank it?"
"It knows only that it needs, Commander. But like so many of us, it does not know what."

ihaveavoice

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #60 on: 13 Aug 2021, 02:04 »

Lol, the discussion in here is so measured compared to my immediate response to the comic. (YAY'S SUCH A HUGGABLE GOOBER AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA---)

I have such a soft spot for characters learning how to friends. <3

Edit: Hey, I'm larger than most fish!  :-D

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #61 on: 13 Aug 2021, 05:02 »

" V'Ger is a child. I suggest you treat it as such."
"A child?"
"Yes, Captain, a child. Evolving, learning, searching, instinctively needing."
"Needing what?"
"Spock! This 'child' is about to wipe out every living thing on Earth. Now what do you suggest we do? Spank it?"
"It knows only that it needs, Commander. But like so many of us, it does not know what."

I was thinking of Star Trek too, but I gess Trelane of "The Squire of Gothos" episode is a closer parallel. Highly intelligent, all-powerful, yet a bratty child.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #62 on: 13 Aug 2021, 06:46 »

Possible Poll topic: "How do we feel about future Yay revelations?"
 # Welcome
 # Dread
 # Spathe ham
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #63 on: 13 Aug 2021, 07:04 »

Yay let their guard down! If they keep this up they will have no secrets left. I'm starting to get the feeling that they no longer like the path they're on, and that they want something else. But then, who will do their job?

Emily becomes Yay's apprentice and the new secret guardian.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #64 on: 13 Aug 2021, 09:11 »

my bad, IICIH, must have gotten my wires crossed

well, i'll have to go see Zoe's reasoning one of these days.
still, i have concerns. ones that may be mollified by her write-up, we'll see

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #65 on: 13 Aug 2021, 12:20 »

Do they even still have a job?
This space intentionally left almost blank.

baronvonfritz

• Plantmonster
« Reply #66 on: 13 Aug 2021, 15:05 »

And my QC journey has come full circle. I came for powerful narcotics https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1871 and stayed for the powerful mom vibes.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up