THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 22:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Sep 27th - Oct 1st (4621-4625)  (Read 11072 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: WCDT Sep 27th - Oct 1st (4621-4625)
« Reply #50 on: 01 Oct 2021, 03:10 »

What is the deal with calling Winslow "Pinkerton", by the way? Out of curiosity.

That malebot isn't Winslow. A similar chassis model, perhaps.

Unless the quoted post is irony of some sort? I'm bad at identifying that.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #51 on: 01 Oct 2021, 03:48 »

You're right. I dunno why I thought it was. It's been awhile since I've seen Winslow, I guess.

Still lost on the Pinkerton thing, though.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #52 on: 01 Oct 2021, 04:05 »

What is the deal with calling Winslow "Pinkerton", by the way? Out of curiosity.
That wasn’t Winslow (Though he does look similar)
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Ghanima Atreides

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #53 on: 01 Oct 2021, 04:30 »

I assume it's due to him having a pink chassis.
Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #54 on: 01 Oct 2021, 04:31 »

You're right. I dunno why I thought it was. It's been awhile since I've seen Winslow, I guess.

They’re pink? I mean I think it’s just meant to be a “clever” play on words.
It’s not like we’ve seen their name used. Other people coined “Marvin” for them as another potential placeholder.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #55 on: 01 Oct 2021, 06:53 »

Poor Faye.  :laugh:

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #56 on: 01 Oct 2021, 07:44 »

I am pleased to see that Faye has professional ethics.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #57 on: 01 Oct 2021, 10:45 »

Augh, now they'll have to add a disclaimer to their website:
"We do not claim to be psychotherapists, nor do we advertise any such service. We supply physical parts, repair and maintenance ONLY."

-And if they want to be really crystal-clear:
"Any attempt to portray our business as supplying any such service will be regarded as grounds for legal action."

We may add that disclaimer to these forums too, just in case.

David F

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #58 on: 01 Oct 2021, 11:29 »

Sure, Faye knows she not only has no training in psychotherapy, but that she's also enough of a mess that advising anyone *else* on the topic seems unwise to her.

However, she'd be a great "robot life coach" - a semi-sympathetic ear and willingness (perhaps eagerness) to provide that kick in the ass you need to get moving in the right direction.

Price List
Listening to your problems: $20/hr
Listening to your problems sympathetically: $40/hr
Ass-kicking: Free

notStanley

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #59 on: 01 Oct 2021, 11:48 »

I thought "Pinkerton" was referring the rando that thinks Faye is a psychologist? 

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #60 on: 01 Oct 2021, 14:47 »

Augh, now they'll have to add a disclaimer to their website:
"We do not claim to be psychotherapists, nor do we advertise any such service. We supply physical parts, repair and maintenance ONLY."

-And if they want to be really crystal-clear:
"Any attempt to portray our business as supplying any such service will be regarded as grounds for legal action."

We may add that disclaimer to these forums too, just in case.
Couldn't hurt.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #61 on: 01 Oct 2021, 15:07 »

I wonder if Pinkerton is currently telling all his on-line 'friends' about Faye's 'wonderful reverse psychology'?

Poor Bubbles! She just can't fully believe that Faye is seriously into her, can she? There will always be a part of her that just doesn't believe that she is loveable. That's sad, but it says good things about Faye that she's sticking with what must be a very difficult relationship sometimes.

I was reading it as her trying to be reassuring to Faye. Emotional instability is a major factor in many cases of people 'falling off the wagon'.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Dynamitochondria

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #62 on: 01 Oct 2021, 15:57 »

Re: "Faye climbed up there real quick"

To be honest, if I were in a physically intimate relationship with Bubbles, I would climb her every chance I got, and likely get very quick at it.

So... go Faye.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #63 on: 01 Oct 2021, 18:01 »

I am surprised by the reaction to Bubbles here. I don't see what she said as reflecting insecurity.

Sometimes relationships end in spite of the very best of intentions in the world. Sad but true.

To simply assume that a relationship will last forever, while romantic, is not just naive; it's kinda taking someone's love for granted.

Bubbles will never do that.

I agree with this take. My husband and I love each other and get along well (most of the time anyway), but we do sometimes talk about 'what if our relationship falls apart?' Because it might, and we both hope that:

a. it won't be a horrendous breakup
b. we will still be friends (or at least cordial to each other)

I hope it doesn't happen anytime soon - I'd be losing one of my best friends.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #64 on: 01 Oct 2021, 22:24 »

As a streamer, that kind of forcing others to be your therapist is something I see way too often. Fortunately, not often in my own stream, but setting that boundary is something a lot of my friends and I have had to be very careful about. A quick vent about a bad day is fine, but too many people take advantage of the live nature of the medium to dump far too much personal information into chat and expect everybody to stop the flow and deal with it.

And in at least one case I know of, a streamer did the opposite of Faye and tried turning his stream into a giant open unqualified therapy session, causing all kinds of unknown damage and backlash. Fortunately that didn't last long, but he quit doing it blaming "cancel culture" rather than understanding what a bad idea it was.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Potato Farmer

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #65 on: 02 Oct 2021, 04:52 »

As a streamer, that kind of forcing others to be your therapist is something I see way too often. Fortunately, not often in my own stream, but setting that boundary is something a lot of my friends and I have had to be very careful about. A quick vent about a bad day is fine, but too many people take advantage of the live nature of the medium to dump far too much personal information into chat and expect everybody to stop the flow and deal with it.

And in at least one case I know of, a streamer did the opposite of Faye and tried turning his stream into a giant open unqualified therapy session, causing all kinds of unknown damage and backlash. Fortunately that didn't last long, but he quit doing it blaming "cancel culture" rather than understanding what a bad idea it was.
Easier to blame some enigmatic force than to acknowledge that maybe you aren't qualified for a certain task.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #66 on: 02 Oct 2021, 19:30 »

Now I'm remembering pwhodges pointing out that every relationship ends in a breakup except the ones that end with a funeral.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #67 on: 02 Oct 2021, 19:48 »

Coincidentally...

Don’t mention the pandemic: Why hairdressers want you to avoid COVID talk in the chair

(paywall, but limited number of free articles available)

Deborah Bradshaw, owner of Hair Angel in Balmain, has even launched a campaign, Keep your mane sane, to encourage “a COVID conversation-free environment in the salon”.

“We are not trained therapists and the unintentional unload of their stresses, whether it may be a marriage breakup, work challenges or health concerns, can have a huge impact on the hairdresser,” she said.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #68 on: 02 Oct 2021, 21:11 »

Yeah, I work retail. A few times I've had LONG conversations with folks who just needed to vent to someone....

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #69 on: 03 Oct 2021, 09:29 »

Everyone knows that’s what bartenders are for.  Although, therapy is generally healthier and quite a bit cheaper.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #70 on: 03 Oct 2021, 20:43 »

It has been said (many times) that there is significant overlap between the professions of counselor/therapist, priest, and bartender.  (And sometimes barber.)

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #71 on: 05 Oct 2021, 02:10 »

Holy shit, I should have knocked on wood. Just had a stream where shortly after it started, somebody said (paraphrased) "Can I talk to you after stream? I'm having a bad time and I think it would be best if I ended everything tonight"

The person previous talked in my chat (we can look up chat history in our dashboard) in January with some normal "hello, how are you" chit chat, and hasn't ever spoken up other than that. I deleted the message, and suggested calling actual professional help. And they just said "LOL, I ain't calling anybody, I'll handle it myself".

I really don't know what to say beyond that.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #72 on: 09 Oct 2021, 20:47 »

Now I'm remembering pwhodges pointing out that every relationship ends in a breakup except the ones that end with a funeral.

*cue existential crisis*
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Romanticide

• Plantmonster
« Reply #73 on: 10 Oct 2021, 13:48 »

Or maybe Claire could just acept the idea that eventully the expresso machine will stain her, or any of the food products and that clothes are ephemeral anyways and just make sure she doesn't bring out her favorites or the most expensive without something to protect them XD

ischaemia

• Plantmonster
  • Almost necrosis
« Reply #74 on: 10 Oct 2021, 17:43 »

Damned if Claire's post education experience of not being able to find a position and having to settle for a service job isn't the very definition of the millenial post college experience. I know tagging stuff with "same" "haha me" and "#relateable" is also very millenial, but I guess it would have been a more concise way to encapsulate my feelings about the most recent (Friday) comic, which I now realise I posted about in the wrong thread.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #75 on: 12 Oct 2021, 11:17 »

Ass-kicking: Free
Fixing the damage Bubbles did to your ass: quotes given free.
This space intentionally left almost blank.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up