THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What else about Marigold's family will we discover?

Mom and Aurelia are besties from childhood.
- 3 (16.7%)
Mom and Aurelia are sworn enemies from childhood.
- 1 (5.6%)
Dad knows Claire and Clinton's dad - he hated him.
- 2 (11.1%)
Dad knows Mr. Augustus - he was his boss.
- 1 (5.6%)
Dad "knows" Marten's mom.
- 0 (0%)
Mom "knows' Marten's mom.
- 4 (22.2%)
Neither parent knows anyone else in Northampton.
- 2 (11.1%)
Mom and Hannelore's mom were sorrority sisters.
- 1 (5.6%)
Something completely different.
- 4 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 4741-4745 (14-18 March 2022)  (Read 10662 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: WCDT strips 4741-4745 (14-18 March 2022)
« Reply #50 on: 17 Mar 2022, 06:34 »

There is no such thing as big evil boob demons.

Are these evil demons with big boobs, or big evil demons with boobs?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #51 on: 17 Mar 2022, 07:18 »

Maybe they’re big boobs with evil demons growing out of them.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #52 on: 17 Mar 2022, 08:29 »

Maybe they are big demons with evil boobs.

D'awww!

Also, ah dangit! My poll idea was to ask the forumites which of the following they identified as; goblin, gremlin, kobold, pixie, gnome, or other.

Other of course.

I identify as a darkelf.  :roll:
Carpe Diem

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #53 on: 17 Mar 2022, 09:29 »

Heh.  In all the D&D games I’ve done, I got rid of the “standard” dark elves.  I never liked the idea of a race of crazed murder hobos, and certainly wouldn’t think that they could be a serious antagonist if it wasn’t for them being individually over-powered.

I of course did have an empire of evil elves,[1] and yes, they are largely theocratic, but they also are extremely well-organised, and won’t kill you as soon as look at you (unless you’re a tiefling, or otherwise messing with extraplanar stuff)[2].  Lawful evil is a much more fun alignment for (most) truly fun baddies as well, especially when their motives make perfect sense as the story goes on, and they just take it too far, particularly with their methods.

[1] Physically indistinguishable from “regular” high elves, except that those who were magic users of any sort became more and more desaturated/monochrome as they became more powerful, due to their relationship with a rift of shadow/void that all sorts of daemonic or otherwise awful things came out of

[2] Their evil tends to be the sort of ruthlessness you’d expect from a society that (reluctantly) embraced becoming monsters to fight monsters.  They do have some standards.  They don’t torture people for “fun”, or because they think that it’ll get them useful information.  They just don’t *care* that the effects on the victim of having the information ripped directly from their minds are often worse.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #54 on: 17 Mar 2022, 18:59 »

New comic.

Relationship goals indeed! Reminds me of a conversation that I regularly have with my husband.

Me: "We're getting old!"
Him: "Yes, that's the plan"
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #55 on: 17 Mar 2022, 20:08 »

My late wife and I had an on again off again relationship. It's not romantic, it's exhausting.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Gyrre

« Reply #56 on: 17 Mar 2022, 20:24 »

...I didn't even know Tumblr existed in 2011.

Just checked my blog archive. My first post was May 27, 2011. It still has 0 notes.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #57 on: 17 Mar 2022, 21:10 »

GAWD those two are adorable, tho.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #58 on: 17 Mar 2022, 23:42 »

Yeah, Teen/YA Fiction romance and actual working loving relationships tend to be radically different. The adult kind, though difficult in their own way, are less stressful, as a whole.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #59 on: 18 Mar 2022, 00:41 »

Uh-hu. To each their own.

I'd much prefer the on-off thing. You'd known your partner even when they've been young and stupid.

P.s.: Only if the final result is "on", of course.

In all the D&D games I’ve done,
I really hate D&D darkelves.

But D&D isnt exactly the only system with darkelves. Elves including darkelves arent that great in D&D. For starters, they LOOK UGLY.

I like darkelves because they look cool. I dont support the idea that any sentient race is predominantly evil. That seems grossly unrealistic to me.
Carpe Diem

John Allenson

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #60 on: 18 Mar 2022, 07:12 »

Ah!  The difference between love and romance.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #61 on: 18 Mar 2022, 07:35 »

But D&D isnt exactly the only system with darkelves. Elves including darkelves arent that great in D&D. For starters, they LOOK UGLY.
 to me.

True.  I’m just one of the many people here who immediately makes a mental jump to D&D.  And yeah, I don’t really like the idea of any sapient species being inherently evil, either, rather, national policies and the like, rather than the species.  The region with the highest number of orcs may show them in conflict with humans over resources, or cultural differences.    Of course, they also will make alliances, and even intermarry, so there are quite a few half-orcs from the region as well.

Edit:  There's really no reason that the children of Conan and Zug Zug Marrow-Drinker or Krog Bloodtusk and Conanina shouldn't have parents who raise them to drink from the skulls of their enemies in the traditional fashion.
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2022, 11:35 by hedgie »

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #62 on: 18 Mar 2022, 13:12 »

With the set of matching skulls handed down from the grandparents?

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #63 on: 18 Mar 2022, 13:19 »

It's an important rite of passage to acquire one's own collection of skulls for quaffing.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #64 on: 18 Mar 2022, 13:49 »

Both types of skulls are valued, of course.  And, again, though there would certainly be cultural and at least some religious differences, humans and orcs pushed to the sort of land where semi-nomadic is about as "settled" as they can get, again, due to resources, impassible mountains in one direction, "here there be worse than dragons" on the second, walled off from an empire on the others (who also basically control trade access), humans and orcs probably would have more similarities than difference, although how friendly either is somewhat clan dependent on both sides.  Realistically, how much conflict and brutality the two species would have would grow and ebb depending on how fierce the struggle for limited resources is, and more abundant years would be good for peace, etc.

I don't need to go into excruciating detail, but I do like to try and think of what sort of fantasy culture would evolve under certain conditions.  Specifically, I want to avoid whole-cloth real world transplants, particularly for those I'm not ripping off of theme park Europeans.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #65 on: 18 Mar 2022, 16:38 »

It's an important rite of passage to acquire one's own collection of skulls for quaffing.

Given your signature I'm not surprised 😀

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #66 on: 18 Mar 2022, 19:59 »

Given your signature I'm not surprised 😀
Keeping our traditions alive.
@syleegrrl

Gyrre

« Reply #67 on: 20 Mar 2022, 01:54 »

to me.

True.  I’m just one of the many people here who immediately makes a mental jump to D&D.  And yeah, I don’t really like the idea of any sapient species being inherently evil, either, rather, national policies and the like, rather than the species.  The region with the highest number of orcs may show them in conflict with humans over resources, or cultural differences.    Of course, they also will make alliances, and even intermarry, so there are quite a few half-orcs from the region as well.

Edit:  There's really no reason that the children of Conan and Zug Zug Marrow-Drinker or Krog Bloodtusk and Conanina shouldn't have parents who raise them to drink from the skulls of their enemies in the traditional fashion.

Reminds me of an interesting post suggesting that perhaps orcs have a massive smear campaign against them due to their having better hygiene than there fantasy-medieval human counterparts in a similar fashion to how vikings. With all of the half-orcs being the result of willing pairings. The post brings up a rather good point that they'd have some damn good surgeons and nonmagical medical technics with the cultural focus on fighting.

Personally, I like the notion of a dwarf falling for an orc and vis versa as they each appreciate the other's ability to use an axe (Dorcs and Orves would be the offspring).

EDIT: Found it Should have known it was a fillibusterfrog post. They've got dome good worldbuilding ideas.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #68 on: 20 Mar 2022, 12:33 »

I did borrow more heavily from Wowcrack than Tolkein when it comes to orcs.  I hadn't developed the world enough to write any predominately orcish nation states, although orc and half-orc NPCs (at least a stub worth of info) were in most areas I did start with.[1]  So, I figured that the one empire to the west (mentioned before) would have a sizeable enough minority of orcs/half-orcs in terms of demographics (and having a fairly Roman definition of citisenship), and basically other places they've been pushed due to fantasy racism.[2]

[1] I knew that I'd never get the game started if I had fully fleshed-out the world, but I figured that with airships (thanks Final Fantasy) being rare and expensive, travel would be slow enough that I could make things as I went, especially with the party basing itself in the first major city I built (the city map itself is 34"x70", even only partially filled)
[2] As Pratchett said, black and white get together to gang up on green

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #69 on: 20 Mar 2022, 20:15 »

And yeah, I don’t really like the idea of any sapient species being inherently evil, either, rather, national policies and the like, rather than the species.

That was one of the interesting things about Feist's Magician series - it's eventually revealed that the evil dark elves and the good light elves (and two more subgroups that nobody even realised still existed) are actually still one race and one people, but they never admit this to outsiders.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up