THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Nov 7th - Nov 11th (4911-4915)  (Read 19270 times)

dawolf

• Not quite a lurker
Re: WCDT Nov 7th - Nov 11th (4911-4915)
« Reply #50 on: 09 Nov 2022, 23:20 »

This whole thing about therapy, if Elliott wants it fine but trying to push him into it is very dubious from a non-american perspective. After all, crazy amounts of therapy haven't lead to a psychologically balanced and happy population, whereas countries with good work/life balances and friendships do ...

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #51 on: 10 Nov 2022, 07:16 »

It's too bad the obvious hubris means Yay is bound to hit a wall and find out they really can't just fix the whole situation "just like that," because they could have been the perfect entity for Elliot to talk this out with.

And as a very cuddly, affectionate introvert who's very into her alone time and isn't a fan of the pressure of "a lot of attention," citation needed on the frequency of the whole cuddly = needy thing. The people I've met who have way too many requirements for how often and in what ways they want the people in their lives to pay attention to them have not been what I'd call overtly affectionate.

Sorry for not snipping, but I’m on my phone and hate touch screens and trying to cut text. I totally get the feeling of people pressuring you to hang out.  I’m just glad that my actual friends (rather than just acquaintances) can put up with me disappearing off the face of the planet, and are willing to pick up where a concentration left of months or even years before.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #52 on: 10 Nov 2022, 20:02 »

Yay, you are really, REALLY bad at this.

But hey, you're on a roll...
What the hell are YOU staring at?

A_S00

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #53 on: 10 Nov 2022, 20:43 »

Yay, quasi-omniscient machine god, is too naive to have read the top 10 posts on r/thanksimcured and considered why they exist?

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #54 on: 10 Nov 2022, 21:38 »

On the other hand, Yay's bumbling intervention has put the main issue clearly on the table while simultaneously given all parties involved a nice side topic (Yay's said intervention) to relieve some of the tension of the situation.

It's a bold strategy, Cotton!
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #55 on: 10 Nov 2022, 23:17 »

I am once again reminded of a classic and extremely relevant xkcd.

baronvonfritz

• Plantmonster
« Reply #56 on: 10 Nov 2022, 23:59 »

Oh Yay, there's the arrogant spookybot, swanning around with the air of smug self congratulatory satisfaction that I fell in love with. I was a bit worried that Jeph had retconned that out of you in the re-tooning event. Hand wavey plot device didn't work so well for you this time, did it?

Dinaverg

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #57 on: 11 Nov 2022, 02:53 »

It's too bad the obvious hubris means Yay is bound to hit a wall and find out they really can't just fix the whole situation "just like that," because they could have been the perfect entity for Elliot to talk this out with.

And as a very cuddly, affectionate introvert who's very into her alone time and isn't a fan of the pressure of "a lot of attention," citation needed on the frequency of the whole cuddly = needy thing. The people I've met who have way too many requirements for how often and in what ways they want the people in their lives to pay attention to them have not been what I'd call overtly affectionate.

to be clear, I'm not at all thinking of it in terms of the idea of being the extroverted, center of attention at a party sort of thing. (might also just be a projection from personal experiences *shrug*)

Oh Yay, there's the arrogant spookybot, swanning around with the air of smug self congratulatory satisfaction that I fell in love with. I was a bit worried that Jeph had retconned that out of you in the re-tooning event. Hand wavey plot device didn't work so well for you this time, did it?

eh, they just show a different side of their personality around Roko, which is the only place we've seen Yay recently before this. (and Aurelia, but that's mostly to reinforce the 'mom vibes' motif.) Around others for whom they don't have the same level of...respect/affection/questionmark, we do see this. 

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #58 on: 11 Nov 2022, 11:38 »

Yay is great at summarising things.
I am not hiding. I am maintaining a respectful distance.

notStanley

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #59 on: 11 Nov 2022, 11:40 »

Your fears are therefore unfounded

Oh, if it were that easy :{

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #60 on: 11 Nov 2022, 14:23 »

Elliot most likely knows that his fears are unfounded, but that doesn't stop him from having them.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #61 on: 11 Nov 2022, 17:01 »

I now imagine Renee rolling her eyes so hard you can only see the whites of her eyes. Or bursting out laughing. Maybe both.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #62 on: 11 Nov 2022, 18:25 »

Your fears are therefore unfounded

Oh, if it were that easy :{

Elliot most likely knows that his fears are unfounded, but that doesn't stop him from having them.

I muttered a snarky "Now tell that to my limbic system", then had a horrifying vision of Yay doing (or attempting) exactly that.

Farideh

• Global Moderator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • La li lu le lo
« Reply #63 on: 11 Nov 2022, 23:09 »

"Very well, we will now hack into your central nervous system. You might feel a slight tingling sensation."

immortalfrieza

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #64 on: 12 Nov 2022, 00:23 »

To be honest, getting straight to the point would probably help me a lot if I were in Elliot's situation. It doesn't help that I have autism and thus getting to point is probably the only way I'd be able to pay attention long enough to really listen to what the other person is telling me.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #65 on: 12 Nov 2022, 14:28 »

Dunno who the guest artist is, but top notch parody of how QC characters' problems are normally solved, five stars.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #66 on: 14 Nov 2022, 19:35 »

Guest artist?

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #67 on: 14 Nov 2022, 19:39 »

Guest artist?
Tova is being snarky.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #68 on: 15 Nov 2022, 04:05 »

Yeah, sorry.

There's a commonly used template for QC mini-arcs. Two characters have some kind of conflict, they go separately to their respective friends, they receive sage counselling from said friends with a sprinkling of QC humour, they get back together, and apologise amorously. Problem solved!

This is following a similar pattern except the Yay is the friend on both sides, and is acting as though deeply rooted issues are so easily solved. "THAT WAS EASY"

I honestly can't tell if Jeph is making gentle fun of Yay or his own comic. Hence my remark.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

ihaveavoice

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #69 on: 15 Nov 2022, 05:29 »

to be clear, I'm not at all thinking of it in terms of the idea of being the extroverted, center of attention at a party sort of thing. (might also just be a projection from personal experiences *shrug*)

I also didn't mean anything like that. I noted the introversion because it means recharging alone, not requiring the energy of other people, so it's not just a party thing. In fact, the extrovert/introvert thing has nothing to do with the "center of attention" thing in general. It's kind of annoying to me how shyness (or even social anxiety) and introversion get conflated. I can happily be the center of attention if I'm in the mood for it, either while specifically performing or just telling a joke or story to a group. Doesn't mean crowds don't tire me out super fast. My extrovert brother is the one who's been known to get shy in these situations, at least as a kid, but he would be WIRED from being in a big crowd at a party.

I assumed that the attention you meant was the kind of attention to keep a relationship going. Needing more checking in, more reassurance, etc. I was pointing out that being openly affectionate and cuddly doesn't mean you need more of that, and that in fact, too much of this particular good thing would feel invasive and uncomfortable to me, or like my partner didn't trust me to trust them. It's been people who are far less of the "cuddly" type that I've known to be really demanding of that kind of attention - not consciously, but just...a lot.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up