THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 12:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: Latest album purchases  (Read 285535 times)

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Latest album purchases
« Reply #50 on: 06 Feb 2005, 16:06 »

Bought Nine Inch Nails' Pretty Hate Machine off my friend for 3 dollars. He hated it.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
Latest album purchases
« Reply #51 on: 06 Feb 2005, 19:43 »

Quote from: mAlice aforeThought
Numb : Blood Meridian
not all i'd hoped for, but still a really good electro-industrial CD.

I really like that disc.

I bought Stars' Heart this weekend.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

mAlice aforeThought

Latest album purchases
« Reply #52 on: 06 Feb 2005, 21:57 »

Quote from: Kai
Bought Nine Inch Nails' Pretty Hate Machine off my friend for 3 dollars. He hated it.

how is that even possible?

not a purchase, but i now have almost every people like us track.  i really don't know why this stuff makes me so happy.

Cadete

Latest album purchases
« Reply #53 on: 07 Feb 2005, 05:56 »

Just bought The Libertines as a gift for myself for pulling an almost-all-nighter to study. I've only heard it once yet, and I enjoyed it.

edgar

Latest album purchases
« Reply #54 on: 07 Feb 2005, 11:44 »

Planes Mistaken For Stars, "Up In Them Guts"

really, really good stuff.

the lead singer's voice will rape your face off

Cpt.Fantastic

Latest album purchases
« Reply #55 on: 07 Feb 2005, 12:03 »

Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Kasabian - Kasabian
Athlete - Tourist

Yeah, ok, you'll have to trust me on this, SOME of the songs on Tourist are quite good...

edgar

Latest album purchases
« Reply #56 on: 07 Feb 2005, 12:50 »

Quote from: Cpt.Fantastic
Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Kasabian - Kasabian
Athlete - Tourist

Yeah, ok, you'll have to trust me on this, SOME of the songs on Tourist are quite good...

i also just got Tourist. it's ok. kinda monotonous.

Morokrat

Latest album purchases
« Reply #57 on: 07 Feb 2005, 15:32 »

flogging molly-within a mile from home
the futureheads

church

Latest album purchases
« Reply #58 on: 07 Feb 2005, 15:33 »

Air - Moon Safari (vinyl)
The B-52's - The B-52's (vinyl)
Sigue Sigue Sputnik - Flaunt It (vinyl)
Kasabian - Kasabian
Razorlight - Up All Night
Blur - Leisure

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Latest album purchases
« Reply #59 on: 07 Feb 2005, 16:08 »

Quote from: Kai

how is that even possible?

I don't think it's possible, but I'm not complaining. I'm all for people hating music if I get their cds for cheap.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

ponifa

Latest album purchases
« Reply #60 on: 07 Feb 2005, 19:35 »

Pinback - Summer in Abaddon
Death From Above 1979 - You're a Woman, I'm a Machine.

Circuit city for some reason had both of these cds for 6 bones each. I don't know how they got there, or why they were that cheap, but I'm not complaining.

CammyKnoxville

Latest album purchases
« Reply #61 on: 07 Feb 2005, 20:23 »

Paul Simon- Graceland

Oldie but a goodie

AnonymousPosterChild

Latest album purchases
« Reply #62 on: 07 Feb 2005, 21:08 »

Rheostatics: Introducing Happiness
Rheostatics: Melville
Rheostatics: 2067
Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles the Giant Robot

twogandts

Latest album purchases
« Reply #63 on: 09 Feb 2005, 05:47 »

The Killers: Hot Fuss
- already been reviewed here, awesome.

Thirteen Senses: The Invitation
- bought on spec, knew only track one (into the fire) haven't found the 'other' tracks yet but I'm thinking it may only be track two (thru the glass,) on my fourth listen now, getting something of a negative feeling about this purchase, it's all seeming a bit same-y and unexciting after the first two tracks. Maybe all it needs is time.

BehringerBoy

Latest album purchases
« Reply #64 on: 09 Feb 2005, 07:57 »

i envy you KharBevNor. i love Apocalyptica and Rammstein too...
the latest cd i bought was sonic youth -  sonic nurse... i will probably buy another of their albums pretty soon, or maybe the new apocalyptica

muffy

Latest album purchases
« Reply #65 on: 09 Feb 2005, 09:16 »

Sorry Rynne, I completely missed your post, even though it was aaaages ago!
 - I think there are a few more people on this board who like british sea power, but I have been well and truly owned by Eamon's 'other' project, Brakes - I saw them last night for the second time and I swear they are the most fantastic thing to happen to music - they have singles which last anything from 26 seconds to 3 minutes and they're all immense...
Ok, I'll stop with the plugging now, as they don't have an album out yet..

I did get the new album from The Tenderfoot, though, which is nice enough.

parasitk

Latest album purchases
« Reply #66 on: 09 Feb 2005, 12:46 »

Jesu - s/t
Converge - You Fail Me
Isis - Panopticon
The Album Leaf - In A Safe Place

I found a copy of NIN's Further Down the Spiral import with a couple different remixes for cheep, so I picked that up too.

czar0406

Latest album purchases
« Reply #67 on: 09 Feb 2005, 13:01 »

Read Yellow - "Radios Burn Faster"
Dillinger Escape Plan - "Calculating Infinity"

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
Latest album purchases
« Reply #68 on: 09 Feb 2005, 13:32 »

Ok, I didnt buy this cd per se, but it is new to me:
Kittens and Thee Glitz - Felix da Housecat

P.S. Dillinger Escape Plan = DYNO-MITE!
I like the way you work it.

czar0406

Latest album purchases
« Reply #69 on: 09 Feb 2005, 14:48 »

damn straight DEP is dynamite.  i saw them last night and im still on a personal high from it.  god damn that was off the charts.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Latest album purchases
« Reply #70 on: 09 Feb 2005, 15:10 »

I got gifted: ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of The Dead's new album was given to my by a buddy of mine who had to review it for a local publication. He had already purchased it, so he gave me the new copy.

It is very good and a lot different than what I expected it to be. Also, Pitchfork's reviewer said that Trail Of The Dead's singer is the worst in modern rock (I am paraphrasing, but not much). To this I reply that Pitchfork's reviewers are fools.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

SkepticSight

Latest album purchases
« Reply #71 on: 09 Feb 2005, 15:15 »

Underoath- Where only chaseing safety

Oerdin

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Latest album purchases
« Reply #72 on: 09 Feb 2005, 15:18 »

The last CD I picked up was Sonic Undermind - Chimpcopter.

Currently awaiting the delivery of:

Annie - Anniemal

Brian Eno - Another Green World

Rauko

Latest album purchases
« Reply #73 on: 09 Feb 2005, 17:14 »

Agnostic Front - Another Voice
Sick of it All - Life on the Ropes
Ted Leo and The Rx - Shake the Sheets
I'ms till trying to find a copy of The Slackers - International War Criminal

I'm just bidding my time until the spring when a couple big releases

swordskill

Latest album purchases
« Reply #74 on: 09 Feb 2005, 17:22 »

Check this out, all this for under 30 bucks

The Faint - Wet From Birth
Blind Melon
Lou Reed - Magic and Loss
Turing Machine - Zwei
Enon - High Society
Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die
The Walkmen - Bows and Arrows

I did good.

El Opium

Latest album purchases
« Reply #75 on: 10 Feb 2005, 20:29 »

Charalambides-Unknown Spin
Not quite as good as I hope but still pretty good. Makes good writing music, quiet extended improv with wordless vocals. The track Magnolia is really good. I think I need a cold night were I feel warm and comfy to really appreciate this.

Tanakh-S/T
I probably should have started with one of Tanakhs releases that has actual songs on it. This album has two disk with one song on each. The Muisc is mostly improvization built around an instrument built from the remains of a destroyed piano with accompaniments.

mAlice aforeThought

Latest album purchases
« Reply #76 on: 10 Feb 2005, 21:15 »

Quote from: El Opium
Charalambides-Unknown Spin
Not quite as good as I hope but still pretty good. Makes good writing music, quiet extended improv with wordless vocals. The track Magnolia is really good. I think I need a cold night were I feel warm and comfy to really appreciate this.

Tanakh-S/T
I probably should have started with one of Tanakhs releases that has actual songs on it. This album has two disk with one song on each. The Muisc is mostly improvization built around an instrument built from the remains of a destroyed piano with accompaniments.

from your reviews, i think i want both ov those.  where can i get them?

the Cure : Faith
not bad, but not particularly good, either.  i adore the cure, but this album left me wishing i'd bought joy division's closer instead (that's what i had in my hand when i spotted 'faith').

Nine Inch Nails : the Downward Spiral : Deluxe Edition
the redone artwork is amazing.  i can't say anything about the 5.1 mix, because i don't have a surround system.  the second disc is yummy, but most ov the tracks are available elsewhere (and i really wish that, if they had to üse tracks from further down, they could've at least üsed tracks that were only on the french öne, 'cause mine's in shit shape).  as for the three demos, 'ruiner' was interesting, but after the first minute it sounds almost exaclty like the final version, 'liar' (reptile) sounds thee exact same, except the vocals and some ov the sampling are rougher, and 'heresy' is quite an interesting look at the process--whispery vocals instead ov screamy, and more groove than noise overall.

Nine Inch Nails : the Fragile
to replace my fucked up copy.  to anyöne who does not already know:  you must obtain the fragile.  it's beautiful.

Nine Inch Nails : Leaving Hope
this is actually something i put together myself--two CDs ov some ov the prettiëst nine inch nails songs.  if anyöne's curious, i'll post the tracklist.

Sigur Ros
i only bought it because a few people have mentioned them to me.  i had no idea what to expect.  i'm listening to it now, and this is really pretty.  i like.  it soothes me.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
Latest album purchases
« Reply #77 on: 11 Feb 2005, 16:50 »

Yah, Faith isn't the greatest Cure album, I've gotta say my favourite is either Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Bloodflowers or Wish.
JOY DIVISION = Teh SEX
I like the way you work it.

Beano

Latest album purchases
« Reply #78 on: 11 Feb 2005, 17:27 »

The Walkmen - Bows and arrows
Ride - Nowhere
Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism

The Walkmen are not as good as I'd hoped having heard the singles, they've got some nice blissed out guitars but the singer's voice doesn't go with it at all.

Liked Transatlanticim on first listen, haven't listened to Ride yet.

kikanjuuneko

Latest album purchases
« Reply #79 on: 12 Feb 2005, 01:27 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Yeah, I know what you mean. I tend to like them a lot more than a lot of the other emo-type bands they're grouped with. This I found out when one of my friends found out I liked them and spent ages trying to introduce me to 'better' emo bands. I still have the scars (and the Funeral for a Friend CDs) to prove it.

Actually, Funeral For A Friend can write some good riffs when they really want to. I must say their first EP was way better, if you ask me, though. More screams = better, at least in my world.

Akbar

Latest album purchases
« Reply #80 on: 13 Feb 2005, 09:45 »

To be perfectly honest I can't remember what the last record I bought was. I'll have to think for a spell.

*rusty wheels turn*

Hmm, it might have been The Bronx's debut album actually. I'm still not sure.

I sure as hell know what my next purchase will be though. Håkan Hellstöm's Ett Kolikbarns Bekännelser is released on the sixteenth I think. Actually, I couldn't wait untill then so I 'aquired' it from other sources just the other day - and it was bloody brilliant, it was. Can't wait to get it 'for real'.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Latest album purchases
« Reply #81 on: 13 Feb 2005, 11:16 »

Quote from: kikanjuuneko

Actually, Funeral For A Friend can write some good riffs when they really want to. I must say their first EP was way better, if you ask me, though. More screams = better, at least in my world.

I have Casually Dressed and Deep in Conversation and Between Order and Model. I must admit I like a few of their songs, but a lot of it gets too samey for me. '10:45 Amsterdam Conversation' is my fave by them.

Yesterday I had the good fortune to purchase 3 Inches of Blood-Advance and Vanquish Although I've already heard it all, it was still fucking awesome. The entire feel of the album can be summed up by the first thirty seconds. 'Fear on the Bridge (Upon the Boiling Sea part 1)' starts with the sound of a fuse running down, followed by a cannon shot before instantly breaking in with intense, old-school metal riffing over metalcore screams before Cam Pipes, who sounds somewhat like Judas Priest front-man Rob Halford after swallowing a cheese-grater, screams: "TORMENTS! From the pits of HELL! In the seas where PIRATES dwell! The Armada sets its course, shadowed by SKULL and crossboned FORCE!". The album continues in much the same vein: A fusion of total 80's metal worship (Mercyful Fate, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Running Wild etc.) combined with ultra-slick modern production and encased in a thin sheen of modern brutality by the inclusion of the metalcore singer. It's got Orcs, Barbarians, Pirates, Cyborg death-robots from the year 4055, a 'Crush the enemies of metal' song (Deadly Sinners), a 'Glories of Metal' song (Crazy Nights)...In this era of NWOSDM, 'New-thrash' and prog-metal, this is the most refreshing thing imaginable to a metal-fan such as myself.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

lofin

Latest album purchases
« Reply #82 on: 13 Feb 2005, 12:15 »

Lou Reed -Wild Child (double vinyl)

-lofin

El Opium

Buyin crap again
« Reply #83 on: 13 Feb 2005, 21:39 »

Pan Sonic-Kesto
Been trying to get this beast for ages. I have listened to all of it but I was really drunk when I popped in the last two disks (The last disk which is on 60 minute ambient piece was awesome. Starting my second listen now. The whole album is dark ambient/industrial tinged stuff with no vocals or samples but it nonetheless has incredible variety to it.

Kid 606-Kill Sound Before Sound Kills You
This was a totally random purchase. I was taking a quick look through the used CD store and thought, hey what the heck I heard a couple tracks by this? Its actually pretty good even. Pretty insane techno that meanders all over the place with a ton of samples and such.

Malice Afterthought:
I buy a lot of my stuff from www.midheaven.com (click on midheaven mailorder). Thats were I got the other two releases I posted about from. There are a couple full length charalambides MP3s at http://www.betterpropaganda.com/artist_page.asp?id=97. Don't know were you could hear the tanakh album though there are some samples of their older stuff hidden away on theirs lable's site at  http://www.alien8recordings.com/tanakh.php3.

mAlice aforeThought

Latest album purchases
« Reply #84 on: 13 Feb 2005, 21:54 »

yay!  thank you!

Cadete

Latest album purchases
« Reply #85 on: 14 Feb 2005, 07:56 »

I bought The Secret Migration from Mercury Rev, it's very different from what I'm used to and I'm still forming my opinion about it. It was pretty much an impulsive buy, as I went to the store to buy either Arcade Fire or Album Leaf, but they weren't there, The Secret Migration was on one of those things where you can hear the cd and I liked the first song...

From the first listening I can say I like the instrumentals, but the lyrics seem to be a bit naive... it's growing on me, thought...

MilkmanDan

Re: Buyin crap again
« Reply #86 on: 14 Feb 2005, 13:34 »

Quote from: El Opium
Kid 606-Kill Sound Before Sound Kills You

Kid 606 is most badass, and that album is one of his best. Total Recovery is Possible is one the best glitch songs ever. At least, it is if you're a pussy like me and like songs to have something aproximating a cohesive rhythm in there somewhere (Unlike some Venetian Snares or Mindflayer for example).

Anyway, my last album purchase was Sage Francis - A Healthy Distrust. I acquired a advance promo 2 months or so ago, but I still can't wait for the real deal to arrive, especially as it's on vinyl. It's hellacious, I tell thee.

aekastar

Latest album purchases
« Reply #87 on: 15 Feb 2005, 19:11 »

Quote from: Cadete
I bought The Secret Migration from Mercury Rev

I have a burned copy of this and yeah... it is rather different though I do like it... the first half is best... especially 'vermillion' despite the bird sound effect.. that was slightly cheesy.

---

My latest purchases were:
Low - The Great Destroyer
..I enjoyed it; was a bit apprehensive at first when I heard it got some bad reviews, but the few songs I sampled before getting the album convinced me enough.  sure, they're a bit more poppy and less like their old sound, but still enjoyable.

Lou Barlow - Emoh
..this one may take a second listen, but I did enjoy some of it.  nice little folky tunes.  the last track about the cat was cute.

bonnie 'prince' billy - Superwolf
..this was better than I even expected it to be... the addition of Sweeney I could distinguish right away.. it had a different guitar element added to it which added depth.  very good reading music.

---

Also, being the not so moralistic person I am, I dled a few albums in advance this weekend:
British Sea Power - Open Season
The Decemberists - Picaresque
The Books - Lost and Safe
Out Hud - let us never speak of it again

Not to mention getting ASMZ - Horses in the sky a couple weeks ago... I've listened to this daily since then... magnificent.. I cannot wait till its release; I've seen that the packaging is good.

muffy

Latest album purchases
« Reply #88 on: 15 Feb 2005, 19:47 »

I've been told that if I'm really good, I might get my very own copy of Open  Season this weekend, which makes me very happy, but should also be getting Brakes album...roll on the weekend!

shumacher

Latest album purchases
« Reply #89 on: 15 Feb 2005, 20:36 »

Gadget budget has disappeared, so I've been buying CDs.
Fatboy Slim - Palookaville (Bought it for Wonderful Night as used in the Olympus Stylus Verve commercials, but it's a pretty good album.)
Handsome Boy Modeling School - White People
Handsome Boy Modeling School - So... How's Your Girl?

Banana_Hammock

Latest album purchases
« Reply #90 on: 16 Feb 2005, 04:59 »

Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One
Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days
Super Furry Animals - Fuzzy Logic
The Books - The Lemon Of Pink
Grant Lee Phillips  - Virginia Creeper
Old Enough To Know Better: 15 Years Of Merge

Bob the Guitar

Latest album purchases
« Reply #91 on: 16 Feb 2005, 05:57 »

Recent albums include:

The Last Town Chorus - s/t
Rogue Wave - Into The Shadow
Ugly Casanova - Sharpen Your Teeth
Okkervil River - Sleep And Wake-Up Songs
Eggman - First Fruits (for 99p!)

The Rogue Wave album is really worth checking out, it's fantastic.

Abattur

• Furry furrier
  • CTHULHU! FUCK YEAH!
Latest album purchases
« Reply #92 on: 16 Feb 2005, 06:16 »

Aphex Twin - Windowlicker
YOUR RESISTANCE ONLY MAKES MY PENIS HARDER!

CidHighwind

Latest album purchases
« Reply #93 on: 16 Feb 2005, 15:05 »

Metallica-Load

Rammstein-Mutter

AC/DC-For Those About to Rock...  (We Salute You)

The Metallica CD was pretty good, Had some great songs, some that sucked, and some in-betweeners.  So not the greatest, but they ARE my favorite band.  I'd give it a 4/5

AC/DC is great.  I'm just starting to seriously start listening to albums for that far back, even though I have listened to Queen and Pink Floyd stuff the prerequisite number of times.  But anyway, the first song (for those about to rock) has got to be one of the best show-starters ever.  I mean... cannons!  Rest of the CD is pretty cookie-cutter AC/DC stuff.  4/5

Rammstein-Mutter has quickly become one of the best albums Ive listened to.  It is their best.  There is not a single song on here that isnt either head-bang inducing (Links 2, 3, 4), or hauntingly beautiful (Sonne).  They are now my 2nd favorite band. 5/5!

scuzzle

Latest album purchases
« Reply #94 on: 16 Feb 2005, 15:08 »

Franz Ferdinand-self titled
BOC - Dont fear the reaper
Queen - Red and Blue "best of" albums

hmmmm, i think my taste is a bit 'old-school' huh?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Latest album purchases
« Reply #95 on: 16 Feb 2005, 15:18 »

Got a pretty sweet deal, two Stormtroopers of Death albums ('Speak English or Die' and 'Live at Budokan') for only £9.99.

Some fucking cool songs on there. 'March of the S.O.D.', 'Seargeant D and the S.O.D.' , 'Milk', 'Kill Yourself' and the title track. Their live Ministry covers are pretty nice too. Lyrics range from the absurd, to the stupid, to the hyper-offensive.

All good fun ^_^
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Cadete

Latest album purchases
« Reply #96 on: 21 Feb 2005, 09:45 »

I bought three cds this afternoon:

Mogway - Happy Songs for Happy People: the only one that i've heard so far, and i'm finding it amazing.

Radiohead - Kid A: the one I was missing, still haven't listened to it.

Godspeed you! Black Emperor - Lift your skinny fists like antenas to the sky: still haven't listened to it.

muffy

Latest album purchases
« Reply #97 on: 21 Feb 2005, 09:56 »

I got the New Order(new one)today- I'm kind of reluctant to listen to it unless it turns out to be terrible, or just boring..and got the new album from The Bravery, but haven't had a chance to listen to that either..

rynne

• Hey, nice marmot!
Latest album purchases
« Reply #98 on: 21 Feb 2005, 10:18 »

Dälek - Absence

Holy crap, this is cool.  These guys are hip-hop, but the production doesn't sound a thing like it.  The main feature of the production is freakin' huge waves of processed synths/guitars/strings that recall My Bloodly Valentine or The Downward Spiral-era Nine Inch Nails.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Latest album purchases
« Reply #99 on: 21 Feb 2005, 12:49 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Casually Dressed and Deep in Conversation

I bought this one when I saw it in a music store and expected, say, Mogwai-ish stuff from the cover. I have learned how to judge covers since then.

That having been said, I enjoyed Casually Dressed and Deep in Conversation. A lot of it did indeed sound same-y, but "Your Revolution Is A Joke" blew me away.

joy division's closer instead (that's what i had in my hand when i spotted 'faith').

Joy Division kicks so much ass. Go with it next time. Also, Sigur Ros = more teh sex.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29   Go Up