THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 02:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: OAO: Mix Tape Trade Response Thread  (Read 36001 times)

Tinjessla

OAO: Mix Tape Trade Response Thread
« Reply #50 on: 24 May 2005, 12:02 »

Well, i'll post the track list at least.

1. Dead Milkmen - Stupid Mary Ann
2. Violent Femmes - Gimme The Car
3. Gang Of Four - Anthrax
4. Fugazi - Furniture
5. Les Savy Fav - Blackouts on Thursday
6. Mission Of Burma - Fame And Fortune
7. Wire  - Three Girl Rhumba
8.  Talking Heads - Life During Wartime
9.  Milemarker - Ant Architect
10. Bauhaus - Lagartija
11. The Addicts - Tokyo
12. 999 - Let's Face It
13. Buzzcockz - What Do I Get?
14. Billy Bragg - A New England
15. Pixies - I Bleed
16. Slint - Carol
17. Shellac - Dog And Pony Show
18. Nation Of Ulysses - Spectra Sonic Sound
19. Rites Of Spring - Drink Deep
20. Jawbreaker - Peel It The Fuck Down
21. Built To Spill - Stop The Show

I'm not going to do some sort of epic review as really...i'm not too great at them. I did enjoy it immensly though. And i'm not just being nice! It all seemed to flow pretty well. I especially love the last Built To Spill Track.

blindsuperhero

« Reply #51 on: 24 May 2005, 12:23 »

Okay then, Schmung's "dual CD monster mix..thing"

PART ONE

(I am listening to part 2 as I write)

CD Numero Uno : ROCK
1. Deftones - Digital Bath
2. Machine Head - Message in a Bottle
3. Primal Scream - Kill All Hippies
4. AC/DC - Back in Black
5. Iron Maiden - Can I Play With Madness
6. Faith No More - Land of Sunshine
7. Feeder - Insomnia
8. The Smashing Pumpkins - Zero
9. Auf Der Maur - Real a Lie
10. Pixies - Debaser
11. Bush - Everything Zen
12. Incubus - A Certain Shade of Green
13. Stone Temple Pilots - Dead & Bloated
14. Audioslave - Show Me How to Live
15. Soundgarden - Superunknown
16. Alice in Chains - Dam That River
17. Rob Zombie - Superbeast
18. Rammstein - keine lust

Now, I had being given the impression that this CD was going to be loud, so to do it justice, I turned my stereo up a fair way, pressed play, and stepped back to a safe distance. While I listened to it, I didn't look at the tracklisting, so as not to be prejudiced against any of the tracks, and (despite wanting to do so quite badly about 3/4 through) I didn't turn it down at all. Now, the first track I already knew and loved, and while I may have heard track 2 at some point, I was still pleasantly surprised when I realised what song it was, and it's a very interesting cover version. Track 3 was probably quite good too. Unfortunately, it all soon took a turn for a worse, now, if there's one genre of music I can't stand, it is "ROCK!" music (as opposed to just "rock" music), a genre virtually encapsulated by bands like AC/DC and Iron Maiden. I think track 6 might have been alright, but I tell you it came as quite a relief when the familiar sound of Feeder started playing. Now, I don't own any Feeder albums, but hearing this song, which I know faily well, made me think I should perhaps consider getting some. It also reminded be of this time when this girl (who I am, incidentally, very much in love with) fainted at a Feeder gig. Ah, memories... I don't think I liked the next track, but I did rather enjoy Auf Der Maur, but strangly didn't like the Pixies much. From then on I think it all got a bit "ROCK!" for my liking, I particularly remember what I think was the Stone Temple Pilots' song, having the terrible lyric "I'm smelling like a rose that someone gave me on my deathbed" or something, which later changed, presumably to really force the point home, to "I'm smelling like a rose that someone gave me on my fucking deathbed". How silly. The start of the Rob Zombie track came as quite a relief, and that, along with Rammstein, who I quite like, made for quite a nice end to the CD.
Now you must realise that when I talk about liking songs in the above paragraph, it is strictly within the confines of the type of music on the CD; I don't particularly like, enjoy or would choose to listen to that kind of music, but if I know that's what I'm going to be getting, I can appreciate some of it. I would say about half the songs on the CD I could listen to again, and I think that's not bad going. Also, in terms of mix-compiling, it was a pretty good job, in terms of how the end of one song flows into the start of the next, although I might have eased up a bit earlier at the end (not that Rob Zombie or Rammstein are particularly eased up tracks, though)

I'm quite liking what I've heard of the second CD, a review will be up soon!

ASturge

« Reply #52 on: 24 May 2005, 12:35 »

Nice review. Its good that people are listening to things they would usually not hear.

I'm definatly going to get involved if there's another one of these...
I didnt think anybody would actually do it.... (*is a fool* )

Azathoth

mixtape
« Reply #53 on: 24 May 2005, 12:43 »

I received a mix of international (mostly) punk tunes from jeremy.  I must say it is quite excellent.  Nearly every artist on this disc is unfamiliar to me and that is saying something.  The songs get by on more than the novelty of being international and obscure - many of them will make their way into my daily listening for some time.  Faves include (but are not limited to) De Press: Monuments, Adaptatsiya: Zhin v politseiskom and Hang on the Box: No Sexy.  Jeremy also included extensive liner notes enabling me to sink many $ and hours of free time into learning more about these bands.  Fantastic, 10/10!

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #54 on: 24 May 2005, 13:17 »

No Sexy is a great song, but there's actually a lot of other tracks on 'For Every Punk Bitch And Arsehole' that are even better! If you get hold of it, it will make you very happy indeed I imagine.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

blindsuperhero

« Reply #55 on: 24 May 2005, 13:39 »

Dual CD monster mix thing PART TWO

Numero Dos: Calm Down Dear..It's only a shoddy mixtape
1. Lemon Jelly - Kneel Before Your God
2. Röyksopp - Eple
3. Manic Street Preachers/David Holmes - If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next (The Class Reunion Of The Sunset Marquis Mix)
4. Air - All I Need
5. Doves - Firesuite
6. Elbow - Red
7. Blur - Caramel
8. Faith No More - Evidence
9. Mogwai - Dial: Revenge
10. Dirty Vega - Days Go By (acoustic)
11. Daft Punk - Voyage
12. Groove Armada - Inside My Mind
13. something indecipherable that looks vaguely like 'nanobi - kote'

A nice contrast to the previous CD, this one is filled with laid-back chill-out style music. You can't really listen to this stuff closely, so I had it on in the background while I wrote the other review, and it's very nice. Again, I wouldn't choose to listen to music like this; when I listen to music I want to listen to the music, whereas this is more suited to being in the background, but all the same, I can appreciate it. I didn't recognise the Manics song, even though I have it on CD, but I did recognise Air. Doves and Elbow lived up to my expectations of being nice in a slightly uninteresting way, given that I can't remember anything about their songs, Caramel I knew and liked, Mogwai I recognised because of the singing in Cymraeg, as it were, one thing I've never quite got about how people talk about Mogwai, I think it's mainly because of Americans, but everyone talks about them as if they're some kind of ambient post-rock band, but I've always viewed them as just another British indie band, along with, well, every other British band I know. I suppose it's because I'm not detailed enough about my genres when it comes to bands I've known about for ages. It's like when people call Hundred Reasons an emo band, and I think what? They're just a British indie band. But anyway, this was an alright song, and in the context of the CD, quite good. I really liked the ending of the Groove Armada song, I thought it would be a good place to finish the CD, but there was one more song, which, like the rest of them was quite nice. So yes, for what it is, a very good job was done with this CD, and I may well put it on in the background when I'm doing something in the future.

So overall, quite an interesting and contrasting experience with the CDs I received, but then within each CD there wasn't that much room for variety. But I've heard a lot of good stuff over the last couple of hours, and the whole experience of getting mixtapes from other people is definitely one I would like to repeat.

Having been overwhelmed by exams for the last week, I will finally post my mix tomorrow.

pistachio

« Reply #56 on: 24 May 2005, 14:27 »

After reading alll of these reviews and seeing all the work people put into their sleeves and what-not I feel like the sleeve and mix that I made are crap :(.... I could've spent more time on them.... sad Amy

Oh well, guess I'll just have to get on the next one and try harder!

Robbo

« Reply #57 on: 24 May 2005, 14:32 »

You really think people are gonna care about the sleve art (in the sense of, wow it's some 3 colour picture someone drew in 5 minutes, must mean it sucks)? It's about the music, not an art expo, so I really wouldn't worry.

If you can make nice pictures, good for you, I can't. But if not, oh well, I got plain black text on white paper..I didn't care.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #58 on: 24 May 2005, 15:57 »

Hey, I liked the sleeve art on the mix you sent me, Amy!  Minimal but kinda jaunty.

As for the mix itself - well I'd be lying if I said I liked everything on there, but that's inevitable isn't it?  But there were several songs on there which I've known and loved for a while (Cat Power, Shins, Tenacious D, etc.), plus - and this is a big plus - I'd never heard of Great Big Sea before, and they absolutely blew me away.  I'm a Pogues fan from way back, so I'm definitely going to track down more stuff by Great Big Sea.  So in terms of introducing me to a potential new favourite, I'd call the mix a resounding success!

pistachio

« Reply #59 on: 24 May 2005, 16:53 »

well, yay! I absolutely love Great Big Sea... I'm a huge fan... especially since my dads a Newfoundlander... so I grew up listening to that style of music.... but yeah, glad you enjoyed it.

I can't wait to get my mix.. I'm a little nervous.. but I'm pretty open to all genres of music... so it shouldn't be too bad, I might even like it.. *gasp!*

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #60 on: 28 May 2005, 14:42 »

i got my mix from c1utch today.

a perfect circle - 3 libras (this is one of my favorite songs ^_^)
chronic future - time and time again
the special goodness - life goes by
jets to brazil - william tell override
the streets - get out of my house
horrorpops - miss take (radio edit)
the bouncing souls - new day
damian marley - searching (so much bubble)
division of laura lee - trapped in
the ordinary boys - over the counter culture
atmosphere - the keys to life vs. 15 minutes of fame
streetlight manifesto - everything went numb
looptroop - the struggle continues
incubus - summer romance [anti gravity love song]
eyedea & abilities - now
the mighty mighty bosstones - you gotta go!
the rolling stones - syumpathy for the devil
the weakerthans - plea from a cat named virtute
me first and the gimmie gimmies - harder they come
tool - forty six and 2
slosh - jake's song

i haven't listened to it yet, but i will soon. is it bad that i've only heard of 7 of these bands?
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

blindsuperhero

« Reply #61 on: 28 May 2005, 15:03 »

Which seven?

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #62 on: 28 May 2005, 15:20 »

a perfect circle, incubus, the mighty mighty bosstones, the rolling stones, the weakerthans, me first and the gimmie gimmies, and tool.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
« Reply #63 on: 28 May 2005, 15:21 »

I just got mine from MilkmanDan in the mail, too!  It's pretty awesome.  Also, it has a special bonus CD in addition to the main CD.  This is the track list for the main one (called "Happy Songs"):
1. 65daysofstatic - "Retreat! Retreat!"
2. Venetian Snares - "Hajnal"
3. Mr. Scruff - "Blackpool Roll"
4. Jurassic 5 - "Swing Set"
5. Lemon Jelly - "A Tune for Jack"
6. Four Tet - "As Serious as Your Life"
7. Ugly Duckling - "Journey to Anywhere"
8. Fingathing - "Walk in Space"
9. Amon Tobin - "Get Your Snack On"
10. Dosh - "Rock it to the Next Episode"
11. Random Number - "All Things Become History"
12. Plaid - "Gel Lab"
13. Prefuse 73 - "Pagina Dos"
14. Cinematic Orchestra - "Flite"
15. Aesop Rock - "Daylight"
16. Boards of Canada - "Turquoise Hexagon Sun"

I've only heard a few of them before (Jurassic 5, Lemon Jelly, Four Tet, Amon Tobin and Boards of Canada) since it's mostly outside of the genres I usually listen to, so there's a lot of new stuff for me.  I think Venetian Snares are pretty rad, and that Fingathing song is totally what space pirates listen to when they are sailing their booty back to their hideaway.

I'll post the other CD track list later since it's in my car and I'm pretty lazy.  That one has more of a hip-hop focus and is also nice.
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #64 on: 28 May 2005, 21:05 »

Bah! Looks like you won MilkmanDan... !

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #65 on: 28 May 2005, 21:11 »

I just got my cd from Robbo today. Tracklisting:

1. Fuck... I'm Dead - Twist of Death
2. Jesu - Friends Are Evil
3. Sauron - Thrash Assault
4. Ambeon - Ashes
5. Axis of Perdition - Born under the Knife - Live in Pain
6. Arcturus - Kinetic
7. Callisto - Black Hole
8. Nasum - Inhale/Exhale
9. Until Death Overtatates Me - Carelss, Painless, Far Away
10. Demichich - (Within) The Chamber of Whispering Eyes
11. Dream Theater - Instromedly (Live)
12. Ulysses Siren - Leviathan/Above the Ashes

I've only heard of two of these bands (Dream Theater and Fuck... I'm Dead), and have only listened to one (Dream Theater).  At the moment of writing this I've only listened to the first two, but they've both been awesome (Jesu has singing rather than growling! gasp! And fuck...I'm dead rules.) I'll edit this post once I finish the whole thing.

Also: Muffy, sorry about the delay, I just got it in the mail yesterday. >_<
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #66 on: 28 May 2005, 21:23 »

I haven't heard anything from the person making my mix. I really hope they do one.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

El Opium

« Reply #67 on: 29 May 2005, 00:33 »

Hey, a pack of Wolves did you manage to get mine off yet? Am I meant to send you one or is it just to the person who was below you on the list? Mine is going out to Jeremy on tues due to me being a silly person about making packaging for it and getting the tracklist right.

Robbo

« Reply #68 on: 29 May 2005, 02:53 »

Kai, I'm shocked you managed to read my crappy hand writing on the cover sheet. Sorry about that, lost the printed sheet and I was in a rush in some free type. You only missread a few things.

9. Until Death Overtakes Me
10. Demilich
11. Instrumedly (Live)

9 and 11 where probably obvious apart from my bad writing. Again, sorry about that one.

But anyway, be interesting to see your full views. Some stuff you may well ahte, but it's sort of a decent mix of soft/brutal stuff and a few odd combos, like Jesu.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #69 on: 29 May 2005, 05:53 »

Quote from: El Opium
Am I meant to send you one or is it just to the person who was below you on the list?

You only send to the person below you.  Though if you're feeling generous, nothing's set in stone!

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #70 on: 29 May 2005, 07:39 »

Quote from: El Opium
Hey, a pack of Wolves did you manage to get mine off yet?

Yeah, I sent it off last tuesday I think by airmail so it ought to be with you very soon. I have no idea if you'll like anything on it, but I hope so!

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #71 on: 29 May 2005, 19:01 »

Is it just me or does anyone else check the post every day hoping for their cd and being disappointed???
ITS BEEN 8 DAYS ALREADY! I CANT STAND IT ANY LONGER!!!!!!
Ok so I'm being pathetic, but I really am not good at waiting....
I'm going to turn into a raving lunatic...
I WANT MY CDDDDD...WHERES MY CDDD...CD...CD...CD!!!!
And yes I'm going to be jumping for joy when it finally comes...:).. It's just the damned anticipation...

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #72 on: 29 May 2005, 19:22 »

I check this thread every day - okay, every HOUR - waiting for Mnementh's response to mine.  Dammit, I wanna know what he thinks!  Stupid bloody post office, I bet they sent it by surface mail or something.

pistachio

« Reply #73 on: 29 May 2005, 20:50 »

I'm with you on that one starlight.... I can hardly wait any longer! ARGH! I'm thinking right now that it will probably arrive on tuesday... stupid holidays... but then again, I think it will arrive every day.. and then it doesn't... so excited :)

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #74 on: 29 May 2005, 21:16 »

pistachio: I haven't been able to send it yet. With any luck, I'll get it out today, so next week sometime.

I'm really sorry, I feel really bad for taking so long. :(

c1utch

« Reply #75 on: 29 May 2005, 23:05 »

I also want my CD, but canada is like a 12 hour drive from here, so if Mr. C shipped it USPS (yes, USPS from canada), it'll be here sometime in july.

I look foward to the day mail goes the way of air and space travel (both still nowhere near as independant as they need to be) and stops being a government run entity.  Fedex > USPS

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #76 on: 29 May 2005, 23:17 »

Yeah, but FedEx also costs a lung and a kidney.

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #77 on: 29 May 2005, 23:19 »

Post Count May 30th : 5 and theres still.... 6 hours of the day left...

I check it even though I know nothing would have arrived but just incase I missed something...

I think this means I'm borderline obsessed.

Schmung

« Reply #78 on: 30 May 2005, 06:39 »

I too am getting increasingly jealous of all the people who've received theirs, I bound in from work every day hoping thats there's a CD there waiting for me, only to be dissapointed each time.

Robbo

« Reply #79 on: 30 May 2005, 08:02 »

*Waits for Kai to be free again to post his full thoughts on the Mix CD*

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #80 on: 30 May 2005, 10:36 »

*tries to find notes that were taken on songs*

Alright then.

I don't think there was any actual track I didn't like on here. Sauron is some fast shit and nicked their name from LOTR, Ambeon is suprisingly mellow, calm, and has singing and synthesizers. Axis of Perdition blew up my face. Arcturus reminded me of Dimmu Borgir before they sucked (Death Cult Armageddon = Ew). the Opening riff of Callisto made me think it was going to be something along the lines of the NME "saviors of rock" bastards. Until after that. Then it rocks out with growling and GEETARS.Nasum is crazy. seriously. I have no idea what the guy is saying, but I know it's not about Kittens. or Lollipops.  Until Death Overtakes me starts out with some orchestral... piano...melody.. thing. Then it sounds like an Earthquake is starting. THen back to piano. I'm waiting for the music to actually start, but I have time, seeing as it's 11 minutes. Back to the Earthquake noise. Back to Piano. Tis time it has a big drum too.then it Ends. Start next track. Demilich. I really like the opening guitar part there, I'll have to look that up. Infact, this whole song sounds awesome. And the singer sounded kinda like a Bullfrog. Like he's singing in burps. And the guitarist is still awesome. I keep cracking up at the voice. Next track. DREAM THEATER. live. So I can expect a full dose of John Petrucci guitar wankery and awesomeness. They sound alot better and more progessive live. Moving on. Ulysses Siren. They blast immediatly into the heavy, CHUG CHUG CHUG  noise. THe singer has a pretty raspy voice, but you can understand him pretty well and it fits.

And that's that.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Robbo

« Reply #81 on: 30 May 2005, 10:43 »

I'm slightly shocked you like all of it, considering some of it is sheer noise and some just ambient soundscape stuff, which you've expressive some dislike for in the past.

But cool, glad you liked it all man.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #82 on: 30 May 2005, 10:45 »

The only track that got on my nerves a little was Until Death Overtakes me, only because I was waitign the whole time for it to explode my face and it never actually got to exploding my face.

Robbo

« Reply #83 on: 30 May 2005, 10:51 »

Ahhh, yeah, UDOM is Funeral Doom stuff. It's just dark rumbling soundscapes that paint pictures of loneliness and loss for an hour or see. To be arty about it. It gets heavy at times, but it doesn't do the exploding thing.

All the tracks on there should be a decent show of the bands stuff. There may be hope for you liking Dream Theater yet maybe, heh. And yeah, Demilich have some of the most messed up Death vocals ever.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #84 on: 30 May 2005, 10:59 »

On Dream THeater: It's good music, I just never saw anything progressive or revolutionary that I already hadn't been exposed to before listening to them.

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #85 on: 30 May 2005, 11:26 »

Oh, and mine is finally in the mail, but unfortunately without all the fancy doodads I wanted to add. There is however a small letter attached. Teehee.

pistachio

« Reply #86 on: 30 May 2005, 14:14 »

YAY! *cartwheels* Happy Amy! plus I mean, letters are fun...

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
« Reply #87 on: 30 May 2005, 14:39 »

Quote from: pistachio
*cartwheels*

That must have been incredibly difficult to type.
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #88 on: 30 May 2005, 14:42 »

who got khar's mixtape?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #89 on: 30 May 2005, 15:10 »

I haven't sent it off yet ¬_¬

Eventually, I decided to send the non-evil one. Yeah, I'm a sap -_-
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #90 on: 30 May 2005, 17:56 »

Quote from: c1utch
I also want my CD, but canada is like a 12 hour drive from here, so if Mr. C shipped it USPS (yes, USPS from canada), it'll be here sometime in july.

I have no idea how it was shipped, but it got into the mail last Tuesday, I assume by Canada Post but maybe by Purolator, who knows.

Anyhow, Azathoth's took a week to get here and it's pretty dern awesome, so yours should arrive probably within the next week, c1utch! (I will post a response to Azazoth's mix later.)
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #91 on: 30 May 2005, 18:55 »

Quote from: Signum_Tenebrae
who got khar's mixtape?

The girl whose avatar seems to be completely the opposite symbol for Mr. Khar's taste in music is supposed to be getting it. You shoulda sent the evil one as well, I can handle it! If not, I have friends who would appreciate it.

I haven't sent mine out yet because it's awful. The order of the songs really suck, but in any case I'm sending it tomorrow, though possibly with the request to just hit "random" or "shuffle" when he plays it.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

c1utch

« Reply #92 on: 30 May 2005, 20:18 »

Quote from: BrittanyMarie
though possibly with the request to just hit "random" or "shuffle" when he plays it.

Suprise!  Haha, thats how I decided on the order to the mixtape i sent to toastess.

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #93 on: 31 May 2005, 05:04 »

awww, the non evil one?

please tell me you put the Fuck You track on the "non evil one" also.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #94 on: 31 May 2005, 05:09 »

lol, if she can handle the evil one too, then she'll get it. I remind you that 'nice' wasn't exactly a picnic though.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

MilkmanDan

« Reply #95 on: 31 May 2005, 09:24 »

I have received my mixtape! Exciting, no?
First thing to mention is that the packaging is awesome. Even the envelope is sweet, as it says 'New Zealand' on it about 6 times, just to reinforce how badass it is. Hell, the stamp has a picture of somewhere called 'Cape Kidnappers'. That's cool. Anyway, open up the envelope, and you get this:

It's bright, it's colorful, it has my name on it. What more could you want? Some sort of guarantee that it's gonna be hellacious, that's what. Fear not, it states that is 'THE BEST CD EVAH * infinity'. This is the kind of reassurance I want, even before you take the '* infinity' into account. So then I open the case. Dry ice billows everywhere, the camera cutting to a higher vantage point in order to get the birds eye view. Emotional piano starts up, and the figure of a crazy, telepathic girl named River takes shape through the white fog. No wait. That's Firefly. This is what was in it:

Tracklist and cunningly origami'd letter. Also, copious liner notes about every song in extremely bright colours. Some serious effort going in here. First impressions from the tracklist:
I've listened to 3 of them before (The Album Leaf, The Flaming Lips and The Arcade Fire). I like the first two, but the arcade fire I thought were kinda meh, even putting aside the massive hype. Most of the rest I've heard of, in a positive way, mainly mentioned on this very forum, but haven't checked out. So now I'll actually know what you guys are talking about. My views will follow. I took notes as I listened and everything. Hardcore.

1. Hot Hot Heat - You Owe Me An IOU
Twas funky. The intro was excellent, and the vocals a lot less unpleasant than most bands. Hell, even the bits with singing were pretty good.

2. AC Newman - Miracle Drug
Alright. Didn't really do much for me.

3. Decemberists - Los Angeles I'm Yours
Grew on me. Still not too sure about the intro, but when the drums kick in it's all good. I only really got into it for the last chorus bit, but on the relisten, the whole song is great. Except the intro.

4. Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism
My friend is always telling me to listen to DCFC, but I've always been hesitant. The singing is alright, but the instrumental interlude bit is pretty kick ass. It's good.

5. Chopin - Prelude No. 15 Op. 28 "Raindrop"
As usual with classical music, I appreciate what I'm hearing, but I just can't get fully into it. However, the liner notes state "My favourite composer & song to play on the piano", so I spent most of it going 'Woah, you can play that?' I'm easily impressed by musical talent, probably due to my total lack of it. I was humming it when I ate lunch, so I guess I was into it more than I thought.

6. The Album Leaf - On Your Way
I really like The Album Leaf, so this was all good. Not much else to say, as I liked it already

7. The Postal Service - The District Sleeps Alone
Wow. I love this song. It's got enough glitchy weirdness and bleeps to excite the electronica kid in me, and its also got a funky, bumping groove.  I even like the vocals. The switchup at about 2:15 is KICK ASS. Best track on the CD so far. More! I'll check these guys out Fo' Sho'.

8. Modest Mouse - Bukowski
My initial reaction was 'meh'. Second time I listened to it I liked the intro alot, but thought the main song was boring. Third time, quite like it. Still think the intro is better than the main song though.

9. The Exploding Hearts - Sleeping Aides & Razor Blades
My first thought was that teh intro sounded just like Blur - Parklife. But it doesn't really. Not sure why I thought that. Whatever, not great. Bad vocals.

10. The Shins - Know your onion
Ok. Didn't grab me.

11. The Flaming Lips - Do you realise?
The Flaming Lips doing their thing. One of my favourite tracks by them, so yeah. Good stuff.

12. Iron & Wine - Such Great Hights
Acoustic guitars and whispery vocals aren't my scene. I like the imagery of the lyrics though. Just need to sing them better over a decent tune.

13. The Arcade Fire - Rebellion (Lies)
I'm not invulnerable to indie hype, so i know that these guys are supposed to be the saviours of the best thing ever. I gave them a try a while back, and thought they were meh, but this is a tune. I'll have to go and recover 'Funeral' from my broken harddrive and give them another go.

14. Ted Leo & the Pharmacists - Timorous Me
For about 2:30, its a great voice and an average song. Then it comes in kinda funky and it's a awesome track. Then it ends. The good bit is too short, only 1:30ish. But it's good.

15. The Black keys - 10AM Automatic
Kinda reminded me of The White Stripes, with the retro, raw vibe. Probably blasphemy or something to compare them, which shows how much I know about this kind of music. That's the fell I was getting. Meh song.

16. Wilco - Just a Kid
On the Spongebob Squarepants OST apparently. The song's alright. Spongebob is better.

17. The Magnetic Fields - Absolutely Cuckoo
This song made me laugh, because I was supposed to be revising magnetic fields, among other things, for my Physics exam in a few weeks while I was listening to this CD. The song was alright. My Anecdote was better.

18. Sunny Day Real Estate - 8
Louder. The name rings a bell, but I'm not sure where I've heard of them. Uninspired.

19. The Clean - Anything Could Happen
Too quiet, unimpressive vocals. Reminds me why I don't like bands with singers, which the rest of the CD was doing a good job of making me forget.

20. Greg Johnson - Ball Gowns & Small Towns
Not sure about the 'trippy' effects bit in the middle, or the woman saying "Sometimes you don't know anything until you dance". It sounds like something out of Flashdance, or some crap like that. The rest of the song is good though.

Favourite tracks:
The Postal Service, The Arcade Fire, Decemberists, Hot Hot Heat.

Overall, I really liked the CD. I've listened to it about 4 times now, and I only got it today. I don't like every track, but there aren't any I really dislike, just a few that don't really do anything for me. Loads of stuff I haven't heard before, and some of it was awesome. Bring on the mixtape exchange round 2!
In other news, my fingers are now covered in glitter from the sparkly orange pen in the liner notes, and tired from typing this enormous review up.

Overall Score: scores-out-of-ten-are-silly / 10

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #96 on: 31 May 2005, 11:54 »

Now that I think of it, I should've just done something by hand. :(

Revenge_Therapist

« Reply #97 on: 31 May 2005, 17:55 »

I really can't write my posts after drink espresso all day at work.
Okay well number these points to aid those sans ADD
1. Spring is the season of LUV. As suck idiotic marketeers have put out a compliation called the 25 best love songs. This was primarily comrpised of Celine Dion and other crap.
2. I want anothe tape trade I thought this was great fun and I was glad I popped the idea to the board. So I wantred to try something a tad bit more complex. Songs about love, an oft musical subject.
3. I advised a humorous variety of scenrios, break up songs (I did lose control here and threaten any one who used Bright Eyes with sendign an army of hobo punks. Albiet in bad taste.) BEst sex songs, and even crazy stalker songs.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #98 on: 31 May 2005, 18:05 »

Whoa, slow down there fella!  Sounds like a grand idea, but I think this one's still got a way to go before it's all finished.  Anyway, you can have love song outside of spring - love's a 12-month season!

Damned if I'm gonna listen to any fuckin' Barry White, though.

pistachio

« Reply #99 on: 31 May 2005, 18:18 »

I can dig it :) then again... Im just plain excited for round 2 all together.. so yeah.. as soon as everyone recieves/rates their mixes... let do it!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up