THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 22:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: why won't chester bennington just die already?  (Read 16115 times)

heretic

why won't chester bennington just die already?
« on: 31 May 2005, 12:20 »

why does linkin park continue to exist? is it just so my brother will have something god awful to play? is it to thwart my attempts at bringing him into the light?

AnonymousPosterChild

« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2005, 12:25 »

Linkin Park exists as a musical black hole to make every other band suck less by comparison.

heretic

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2005, 12:36 »

ah thank you. that explains a lot. but why must i be in such close proximity to this place so cold and desolate. the musical nether regions creep closer and closer promising to suck all talent and originality from everything they come in contact with

Titan

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2005, 12:45 »

Originally I didn't think Linkin Park were half bad - they seemed new and fresh. Then they got in that in with that MTV crowd and I realised they didn't have anything else in them - you get that idea when they start mixing up their old material and get some thick as shit rapper along to help. After that I guess I came to my senses and treated it like an antichrist does a bible.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2005, 13:03 »

Actually, "Meteora" is a good album for late-night (two in the morning) driving.

Mind you, any band whose remix album of their debut album is better than the debut album itself is a bit difficult to garner more than a smidgeon of respect for.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

ASturge

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2005, 13:21 »

Hey, I like Linkin Park!!11222

Just becasue you don't doesn't mean you should mock them!!!1111oneoneone

Merkava

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2005, 13:27 »

*hopes that was sarcasm*

Linkin Park sucks. Normally, a band/group/artist has some sort of redeeming feature, even if it's not their music. Not these guys. I can actually say "the suck" with a straight face.

heretic

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2005, 13:30 »

chester bennington should just give in and form an angst-riddled boy band already. and god i hope that was sarcasm. i can make fun of them all i want. because they suck. dicks. big ones.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2005, 13:41 »

like those to be found on donkeys!
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Aphi

« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2005, 13:42 »

Ah, see, Chester Bennington has an ego big enough to encompass about thirty people like him. Assuming this, if he were to die, he would instantly be replaced by hundreds, possibly thousands, of clones who stunk even /more/, but now it's much worse, 'cause they don't have any opinions.

So, technically, Chester Bennington is doing us a favor by living, 'cause there's only one of him. =nods=

heretic

« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2005, 13:44 »

obscure logic, brain shutting down, must make attempt to understand before it destroys me.... ok got it.

ok that makes sense, thank you chester.

Aphi

« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2005, 13:45 »

Obscurity is my middle name. ^^

And I just realized that the thinger under my name just changed to say that. I like it where it is now. =nods=

Merkava

« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2005, 13:46 »

If Chester was killed, his music would be hyped into the stratosphere. That's what happened with Nirvana and they sucked too.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2005, 13:52 »

^ Very true words!
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

ASturge

« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2005, 14:10 »

Don't worry matey, sarcasm is my middle name!

Nirvana are composed of shit and urine. At a ratio of 4:3 i belive...

Merkava

« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2005, 14:18 »

That's gotta be smooth going down.

blindsuperhero

« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2005, 14:18 »

The fact that he type the word "one" several times didn't act as a clue?

Oh, and no images in signatures. Thanks

ASturge

« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2005, 14:28 »

Yeah, I was going to say.

Also, I don't think we should just kill Chester. I mean, I wouldn't wish death upon somebody just for playing bad music.

oneoneone

Merkava

« Reply #18 on: 31 May 2005, 15:01 »

Quote from: blindsuperhero

Oh, and no images in signatures. Thanks

Well, that was embarrassing. Stupid forum habits clouding my judgement. -__-;

And some people type like that. I've seen it before.

Sturge

« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2005, 15:29 »

hey, at least we know that in his later life his voice is going to be utterly fucked and he wont even be able to speak at all!

Merkava

« Reply #20 on: 31 May 2005, 15:30 »

I'd call that poetic justice.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #21 on: 31 May 2005, 17:47 »

Nirvana =/= feces.

Quote from:  James
This is the worst thread there has ever been, on any forum, in all the inter nets. Congraturation!

I disagree.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #22 on: 31 May 2005, 18:16 »

Yeah, Linkin Park suck, blah blah.

What I really want to know is: at what period of recent history did the Nirvana backlash begin?  Having grown up listening to 'em in my formative years, I kinda took it for granted that they were perenially popular.  I guess you have to be of a certain generation, though . . .

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #23 on: 31 May 2005, 20:53 »

Possibly when everyone realised that Nirvana was just another fucking boring alt. rock band, except with the added bonus of a singer who was somewhow 'tragic' because he blew himself away. Big whoop. Thank goodness he can no more trouble us with his incessant bloody whining.

I never really liked Nirvana to begin with. After the overplaying, I fucking hate them. Except when I'm drunk, but I love every song I know the words to when I'm drunk. And quite a few of the ones I don't.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #24 on: 31 May 2005, 20:56 »

Wow, you hardly ever hear "Nirvana" and "boring" in the same sentence.

Wait wait wait I've come this far in the topic without commenting on Linkin Park? Well then:

ANGST.

That is all.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #25 on: 31 May 2005, 21:00 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Possibly when everyone realised that Nirvana was just another fucking boring alt. rock band, except with the added bonus of a singer who was somewhow 'tragic' because he blew himself away. Big whoop. Thank goodness he can no more trouble us with his incessant bloody whining.

I never really liked Nirvana to begin with. After the overplaying, I fucking hate them. Except when I'm drunk, but I love every song I know the words to when I'm drunk. And quite a few of the ones I don't.

Yeah, see I'm 25 coming up to 26 so when I was in my teens Nirvana hadn't been played absolutely to death and the radio wasn't quite chock-full of soundalikes.  For my generation Cobain killing himself was seriously a big fucking deal - I expect most people who's now aged between 25 and 30 can remember where they were when they heard the news.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #26 on: 31 May 2005, 21:00 »

You must listen to some damn boring music then. I mean for fucks sake! I could see 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' being ok at 3 minutes long, but how long is it? 6 minutes or something? 6 bloody minutes of 'bluh bluh bluh bluh bluhbluhtain blus"

'Nevermind' is so boring I still have yet to sit through it, and yes, I am aware it is not their best record.

Mr Pink

« Reply #27 on: 31 May 2005, 21:01 »

Personaly I think that linkin parks' lyrics are meaningfull and deep. You're all just jelouse and are mad that they are so successfull.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #28 on: 31 May 2005, 21:02 »

'Nevermind' is so boring I still have yet to sit through it, and yes, I am aware it is not their best record.

So then why would you sit through it? In Utero is musically superior x30 plus contains cello. Cello!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #29 on: 31 May 2005, 21:33 »

Because it is the only one I own. And fucked if I'm buying another one. I've heard their greatest hits (About 30 times! Thank you, common room stereo) and it was all boring as poop. There are a squared infinity of better bands for me to be spending my cash on.

El Opium

« Reply #30 on: 31 May 2005, 22:05 »

linkin park are just a commercial black hole to suck in the cash of the angstful and unadventurous. I'll leave em too it, they'll not bother me so long as I never turn on my radio. If anyone plays em in my vicinity they'll get a harsh noise record to the eardrum.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #31 on: 01 Jun 2005, 00:06 »

You must listen to some damn boring music then. I mean for fucks sake! I could see 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' being ok at 3 minutes long, but how long is it? 6 minutes or something? 6 bloody minutes of 'bluh bluh bluh bluh bluhbluhtain blus"

a lot of people like Nirvana because they pretty much singlehandedly knocked crap like Europe, Bon Jovi and Poison off the radio at one point, and paved the way for more decent bands to come to the fore.  compared to the pop stuff (and i stress the "pop stuff" there) that was around at the time, Nirvana was gold.

are they earth-shattering now?  not so much.  were they interesting back then?  comparatively speaking, surely.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #32 on: 01 Jun 2005, 00:19 »

But Europe and Poison totally SMOKE Nirvana! Bon Jovi I'm more indifferent to, but I'd kill (or at least injure) to have stuff like 'The Final Countdown' on the radio rather than the alt-rock and faux-indie garbage I hear today.

TheCourtJester

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • OB/GYN/OMG/WTF/BBQ!
« Reply #33 on: 01 Jun 2005, 00:34 »

Maybe I just like playing Devil's Advocate...but are there any real REASONS everyone is jumping on the "fuck linkin park" bandwagon? Pretty much EVERY band has angst of some sort..or angst's older (only slightly less annoying when over-used) cousin, emotion. What makes 'em so much worse than anyone else?

Next up... Nirvana VS. Ace of Base, who does everyone hate more?

oneone....z0rz
The sad thing about tennis is that no matter how good you get, you'll never be as good as a wall.

Robbo

« Reply #34 on: 01 Jun 2005, 00:49 »

*Looks at CD collection....looks at a Linkin Park CD.....looks at CD collection, looks at Linkin Park*

Yes, beacause angst is why a Prog and Tech music fan things "fuck Linkin Park" rather than them being a musical waste.
As for the Nirvana side thread that poped up, Khar's said it all really.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #35 on: 01 Jun 2005, 03:04 »

this topic sucks.

Shaft

• Obscure cultural reference
    • Bass Cleft
« Reply #36 on: 01 Jun 2005, 08:14 »

Wuuurgh Linkin Park are gheyyyyy.

Metora is a great album. It is catchy, there are some really nice chord secquences in it, and the production is fantastic. I'm not out to sodomise LP (The stuff they did with Jay Z was... Well you know...) I almost want to agree with people who say everyone is jealous of them.

When Hybrid Theory was released, Linkin Park were another alt rock band that all the alt rock kids were into. Then - Commercial success - ARRRGHHHHHH NOOOO, THE FACT THAT AN 8 YEAR OLD MIGHT BE ENJOYING THE SAME MUSIC THAT I ENJOY IS TOO MUCH FOR ME TO TAKE! MUST... FIND... MORE... OBSCURE... MUSIC! I am just waiting for the day an artist like Merzbow is played on the radio, and people condemn it for being too catchy.

Nirvana's songs were uninspiring, the recordings really weren't that great, and Kurt's voice - Ugh, Kurt's voice. *Grind grind grind*

Having said that, Heart Shaped Box is a halfway decent song. I still don't like them, though.

"Because you care what I think"
Quote from: tommydski
i realise that i am slightly buzzed on coffee in the toliets of a boeing 737 rubbing a wet rock on myself. if you've ever had a similar moment of clarity i think you may be able to relate to the feeling.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #37 on: 01 Jun 2005, 08:25 »

1) What's with all the "this topic sucks?"

2) The "angst" issue I brought up was the fact that every song of theirs that I've heard (all of Hybrid Theory, the singles from Meteora) is pretty much constructed out of cliched angst - not even angst put across in a convincing or interesting or witty manner or anything, just "RHOAHHHH, HEAR ME OUT NOW, YOU GOT TA LISTEN TO ME I'VE HAD ENOUGH RIGHT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW" voiced with a throaty X-TREME scream.

If I can dislike emo's angst for being cliched and wrapped up in shimmering guitar, I can dislike Linkin Park's angst for being cliched and wrapped up in nu-metal.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #38 on: 01 Jun 2005, 08:39 »

Quote from: Shaft
When Hybrid Theory was released, Linkin Park were another alt rock band that all the alt rock kids were into. Then - Commercial success - ARRRGHHHHHH NOOOO, THE FACT THAT AN 8 YEAR OLD MIGHT BE ENJOYING THE SAME MUSIC THAT I ENJOY IS TOO MUCH FOR ME TO TAKE! MUST... FIND... MORE... OBSCURE... MUSIC! I am just waiting for the day an artist like Merzbow is played on the radio, and people condemn it for being too catchy.

What the hell? Okay, leaving aside the fact that I have no clue what an 'alt rock' kid listens to (although I'm guessing it's the Smashing Pumpkins), I heard that first Linkin Park single when it came out. It was nu-metal, really really blatant nu-metal. Happily it had a catchy chorus, so I didn't really mind it. It was an ok bit of fluff. But critical credibility? Oh come on, they never had that.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Robbo

« Reply #39 on: 01 Jun 2005, 08:43 »

As fair as I remember, Nu Metal is mostly a bastardised form of Alt. Rock with a few other things thrown in like Rap or whatever.

Though I presume they had underground fans like most bands do in some ways. Those poor people.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #40 on: 01 Jun 2005, 08:50 »

But surely no-one who wasn't creaming over Limp Bizkit or Papa Roach could have ever liked them... right?
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #41 on: 01 Jun 2005, 09:02 »

Quote from: Johnny C
1) What's with all the "this topic sucks?"

Because it kind of does. It's all pretty much one big bitch fest, and certain people just trashing anything they choose not to listen to.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Robbo

« Reply #42 on: 01 Jun 2005, 09:07 »

Meh, seen as the mods want us to all be freaky happy clappy people, we need negative venting.

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #43 on: 01 Jun 2005, 09:13 »

Quote from: Shaft
Metora is a great album. It is catchy, there are some really nice chord secquences in it, and the production is fantastic.

Of course.

Since, you know, those traits are what makes a good album.

Shaft

• Bass Cleft
« Reply #44 on: 01 Jun 2005, 09:27 »

If something isn't catchy, has godawful chord progressions, and sounds like it was recorded in a large tin shed with a fisher-price karaoke machine it's unlikely to be great. I'm sure you will prove me wrong by naming one or two albums that you love because they are so "raw" but I stand by that ^.

I mentioned those aspects of it because you can't really argue with most of it. I guess you could if you really wanted to, but I tried to avoid saying things like "It has good songs" because that would be much more opinion-based.

Yeah, you know, those traits do help add up to a good album, sarcast-o-pants.
i realise that i am slightly buzzed on coffee in the toliets of a boeing 737 rubbing a wet rock on myself. if you've ever had a similar moment of clarity i think you may be able to relate to the feeling.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #45 on: 01 Jun 2005, 10:11 »

No, that's completely opinion-based. Objectively, you can prove the worth of nothing really, so trying is pointless.

Shaft

• Bass Cleft
« Reply #46 on: 01 Jun 2005, 10:56 »

I can prove the worth of socks. Without them you are nothing. You know it. You so know it.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #47 on: 01 Jun 2005, 11:04 »

For the most part, I like Linkin Park... I don't think I've heard anything of theirs (yes, including the Jay-Z stuff) that I didn't at least like. I don't rave about them and I've calmed down about them since the days when I first heard them and I was just starting to listen to the music I wanted to listen to, but I still think they're ok...

Fairly valid points all round, though... I've never been a fan of the whole screaming thing and yeah, the lyrics are pretty cliche, but then, in my opinion, that's what the music is for. It's not groundbreaking in any way, sure, but it's still good to listen to.

I think this whole mentality of either 'band = popular therefore band = teh suck' or 'band = not entirely different from X bands on the market therefore band = teh suck' is pointless anyway... ultimately, an artist or group is invariably releasing records to make money. Holding that against them is self destructive.

And I've gone off on a tangent away from the point I was originally trying to make... hmm...

Yeah, so, that's that.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #48 on: 01 Jun 2005, 11:11 »

I don't hate anything because it's mainstream, yet I hate or at least dislike a vast majority of 'mainstream' stuff: and it's not like I'm indulging in the hypocrisy of just liking the bands that sound like the mianstream bands except no-one's ever heard of them: I don't like most of that stuff either. I only like stuff I like: I'm actually very un-elitist in that way, I like bands like Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir and Nightwish (up to a point anyway) despite the fact that they're all 'mainstream' and 'sellout' (they've all charted...somewhere), but I mean, just because I listen to Illnath, Gloomy Grim and Epica as well as a vast array of stuff that sounds nothing like those three, doesn't mean I should stop liking them.

Or something.

Anyway, what I was trying to say was something like "Your opinions are respectable, but Linkin Park are still a giant steaming turd on the collective chest of humanity"

yahr.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #49 on: 01 Jun 2005, 11:14 »

That's an interesting outlook, but I'm afraid I have a problem right here:

Quote from: maxusy3k
ultimately, an artist or group is invariably releasing records to make money.

To say that all artists everywhere are releasing records simply for the sake of making money is a tad off base. It's like saying the great painters of the world are just whores. Yes, there are plenty of people making albums simply for the money, but not anywhere near all of them.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up