THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 19:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: why won't chester bennington just die already?  (Read 16114 times)

Deadpan

why won't chester bennington just die already?
« Reply #50 on: 01 Jun 2005, 11:20 »

As far as I know, Chester Bennington doesn't actually do anything in Linkin Park except "sing". I think it's Mike Shinoda who writes the music and lyrics, so if you want to blame anyone, blame him.

I used to be all over LP when I was 14-15. Upon hitting 16, I realised that there are probably 10 year olds more literate than the lyricist, and the music was just plain dull.

Merkava

« Reply #51 on: 01 Jun 2005, 13:06 »

Quote from: Shaft
If something isn't catchy, has godawful chord progressions, and sounds like it was recorded in a large tin shed with a fisher-price karaoke machine it's unlikely to be great.

"God-awful chord progressions" is an opinion, and there's nothing wrong with LoFi.

Listen to Iron and Wine's first album and tell me that the rather bootleg production hinders it. In a way, it actually helps it. XP

heretic

« Reply #52 on: 01 Jun 2005, 14:39 »

TO: everyone saying this topic sucks

Content: i started this thread because i was uber bored at work and had bullshit linkin park running through my head "LIKE IT OR NOT RIGHT NOOOOOOOOW!!!!oneoneone" since i am not allowed music at work (even headphones) all i could do was jam pointy things in my ears in an attempt to get the bad out and relieve the pain. this did not work. so i started this thread to get my mind off it and to bitch about linkin park. i never expected it to actually get replys other than, yeah, what's your point? and this was a dumb topic and then people would forget about it. i think it'sd kinda funny this got to two pages when it is obviously a pretty shallow topic. typing for the sake of typing? fine by me :)

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #53 on: 01 Jun 2005, 17:01 »

Quote from: ForteBass
That's an interesting outlook, but I'm afraid I have a problem right here:

Quote from: maxusy3k
ultimately, an artist or group is invariably releasing records to make money.

To say that all artists everywhere are releasing records simply for the sake of making money is a tad off base. It's like saying the great painters of the world are just whores. Yes, there are plenty of people making albums simply for the money, but not anywhere near all of them.

I totally agree with that. I've got a lot of friends who operate on a strict DIY ethic with their music, which in a very condensed form is about completely resisting the idea of making music for money, which is also the way I'm planning to approach things with a few musical projects I have in the pipeline.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #54 on: 01 Jun 2005, 20:00 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
But Europe and Poison totally SMOKE Nirvana! Bon Jovi I'm more indifferent to, but I'd kill (or at least injure) to have stuff like 'The Final Countdown' on the radio rather than the alt-rock and faux-indie garbage I hear today.

ok whoa, holdup.  this is where i get off.

jeney

« Reply #55 on: 01 Jun 2005, 23:55 »

what's the deal? I didn't know this band still exsisted. If you dislike them so much, then stop watching mtv and listening to the radio?

heretic

« Reply #56 on: 02 Jun 2005, 05:18 »

again.  know of them because of sibling-music-taste deficiency. i don't watch TV except cartoons and i don't listen to the radio. are they even still on it?

sp2

« Reply #57 on: 02 Jun 2005, 13:26 »

Two things:

A) Nirvana may sound trite now, but that's basically because tons of bands picked up on the alt-rock bandwagon after Nevermind hit it big.  Yes, they pretty much ripped off the Pixies.  They still managed to make a lot of good music, and are probably responsible for plenty of current alt-rock, post-grunge, and so forth.  A lot of bands have obvious Nirvana influences, even bands you wouldn't expect it from, like Radiohead.  You can't claim they suck just because they got overplayed on the radio.  Corporate radio and MTV are for tools anyways.

B)  As much as you or I would love it if Linkin Park ceased to exist, killing Bennington (or having him kill himself or die an accidental death) would only propel the band into greater stardom.  What's the saying?  Better to burn out than to fade away?  Yeah.  Let Linkin Park fade away.

Merkava

« Reply #58 on: 02 Jun 2005, 13:29 »

Actually, Radiohead cites their early sound's influences on Pixies/My Bloody Valentine. Radiohead didn't have Nirvana influences. Any that they did have were quickly removed for the brilliant The Bends.

heretic

« Reply #59 on: 02 Jun 2005, 13:31 »

while that may be the wiser choice, i feel like killing bennington would bring so much joy to so many of us audiofiles (audiophiles?) that it would be wrong to hold back. plus he's the worst part of the band. if they got rid of him i'd have a whole new tolerance for whatever formed afterwards and could give them 5 more years before offing another.

Merkava

« Reply #60 on: 02 Jun 2005, 13:36 »

Oddly, it was only after remembering Chester's scream that I was able to finally get into At the Drive-In and realizing what a wimp I was before. XP

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #61 on: 02 Jun 2005, 14:14 »

Quote from: sp2
B)  As much as you or I would love it if Linkin Park ceased to exist, killing Bennington (or having him kill himself or die an accidental death) would only propel the band into greater stardom.  What's the saying?  Better to burn out than to fade away?  Yeah.  Let Linkin Park fade away.

Yeah look at all the fucking (undeserved) attention Dimebag got after he died.  

OMG WE LOVE YOU DIMEBAG YOU WERE THE BEST METAL GUITAR PLAYER EVERRRR

sp2

« Reply #62 on: 02 Jun 2005, 14:20 »

Quote from: Merkava
Radiohead didn't have Nirvana influences. Any that they did have were quickly removed for the brilliant The Bends.

One word.  "Just"

blindsuperhero

« Reply #63 on: 02 Jun 2005, 16:03 »

Yeah... Just sounds just like Nirvana....

In a 'not at all' kind of way

I mean, seriously, have you even listened to Nirvana? Have you even listened to Radiohead?!

Merkava

« Reply #64 on: 02 Jun 2005, 17:30 »

Agreed. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #65 on: 02 Jun 2005, 19:25 »

Seriously the rudeness needs to stop. I mean, sarcastic, ironic, and tongue-in-cheek, okay, funny, but being an ass isn't.

And you're allowed to be influenced by a band without sounding exactly like them, you know. I mean, I know I'm influenced by bands that sound nothing like the music I make, but I strive towards their lyrical style, or their recording aesthetic, or even their approach towards making music. Maybe I'm a special case, I dunno, but that's how I write. Is it conceivable that Radiohead, for example, likes something Nirvana did enough to imitate them a wee bit? Or is that hipster blasphemy?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

sp2

« Reply #66 on: 02 Jun 2005, 22:31 »

Quote from: blindsuperhero
In a 'not at all' kind of way

The intro to Just is exceedingly grungy in a very Nirvana kind of way.  Same reliance on powerchords, same general chord progression, etc (basically it's a cross between Smells Like Teen Spirit and Aneurysm).  Several other songs on The Bends also have a very Nirvana style.  That's fine.  Not a big deal.  I'm not saying you have to love Nirvana or hate Radiohead.  I'm just saying that there is a definite Nirvana (and grunge in general) influence on about half the songs on that album.

Deal with it.

blindsuperhero

« Reply #67 on: 02 Jun 2005, 23:59 »

The point is that there isn't. I am confident that the members of Radiohead have hardly ever listened to Nirvana, unlike the bands widely accepted as their influences; Just, or for that matter any song Radiohead have ever written, does not sound 'grungy' in the slightest. True, Just and Smells Like Teen Spirit both share a 'clean-guitar sound then drums' intro, and I suppose both feature similar instruments, sadly for you, played in COMPLETELY different ways (could you imagine Kurt Cobain playing like Johnny Greenwood? I sure couldn't), the lyrics, vocal style, tempo, rhythmic features, harmony, and just overall sound are both completely different. Radiohead owe as much to Nirvana as any band in the last 10 years who play guitars, i.e. not much at all.

Deal with it.

Interesting addendum: Listen to the start of 'Pete Jackson is Getting Married' by Less Than Jake (go on, this will be fun). Now listen to the intro to 'In Circles' by Sunny Day Real Estate. Weird, huh? But that is of course because Sunny Day Real Estate were heavily influenced by Less Than Jake.

heretic

« Reply #68 on: 03 Jun 2005, 05:56 »

i listen to both radiohead and nirvana, (though nowadays mostly when Drunk with a capital unk) and i can hear where someone might be confused as to whether nirvana influenced radiohead or not. but, it's easy to think that a band influenced another when you hear them in a certain order in a certain frame of mind. i'm just going out on a llimb here but i'm guessing you were younger when nirvana was around, and maybe didn't have as strong a grasp of the subtleties of music. i know i didn't. but i don't think nirvana was too much of an influence on Radiohead, if any at all. certainly no more than just that era in general was.
for my money if you're gonna say Nirvana influenced Radiohead you might as well say they influenced just about every alt./grunge/rock band at the time.

Merkava

« Reply #69 on: 03 Jun 2005, 07:21 »

I believe some consider The Bends to be the "anti-grundge" album, or the album that came along and kind of broke up the focus on grunge at that time.

heretic

« Reply #70 on: 03 Jun 2005, 13:02 »

i think we had the forum headed that way with the last couple of posts
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up