THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 03:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommend me some good stuff =D  (Read 21994 times)

Jooooosh

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Recommend me some good stuff =D
« Reply #50 on: 07 Jun 2005, 19:09 »

I was just thinkin that
fast-food for thought

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #51 on: 07 Jun 2005, 19:44 »

Mervaka:
Quote from: Kai
Quote from: Merkava

And I'm listening to The Residents.

*yaaaaaaaaaaaawn*

What by The Residents? Some of their stuff is not nearly as good.

*Ahem*
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #52 on: 07 Jun 2005, 21:32 »

1) I second the Metric recommendation; for shits and or giggles check out DFA1979 too.

2) You may love the Minutemen, my friend.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Coonstar

« Reply #53 on: 07 Jun 2005, 22:00 »

Yeah I already listen to Metric. I used to sleep a lot to Old World Underground. Death From Above 1979 I've already heard and don't quite like.

Today I checked out the Minutemen - a few tracks off Double Nickels on the Dime. There's no love-on-first-listen going on as of now but I find them interesting enough.

Hee, I'm am acquiring some Ratatat as I type this out =D Sankyuu!

Outshined

« Reply #54 on: 07 Jun 2005, 23:11 »

Quote from: El-Rodente
im gonna suggest ratatat, as everybody loves ratatat

in fact... gimme a minute

here is their entire album, dont tell anyone though

also, my current obsession is metric, i personally thinkg old world underground is a masterpiece, you should check it out

Mmmm... Ratatat is good stuff!  The only part of that album I disagree with is the random "hip-hop shoutouts"  where they throw in dialog for no reason.  Other than that, it's gold!  

Oh!  Thought of another.  If you are remotely interested in folk music, you should check out Iron and Wine.  I'm more and more coming to believe that everyone should hear "Our Endless Numbered Days" at least once in their lifetime.

Jed

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #55 on: 08 Jun 2005, 01:13 »

Few bands you might want to check out:

Faithless
                                                           Acid Mothers Temple
Juicy Panic
                                                        Cradle of Filth
Impaled Nazarene  
                                             Yoko Kanno & the Seatbelts
Children of Bodom  
                                           Red Crayola
New York Dolls  
                                                 Hurriganes
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
"To say that Columbus discovered America is by no means inaccurate! I discover things people already knew about all the time!"

Robbo

« Reply #56 on: 08 Jun 2005, 03:48 »

Quote from: Coonstar

I've heard Damnation by Opeth before, I didn't get into it. Hmm, another album?

As I suggested, Blackwater Park. Thought if you didn't like Damnation, all Opeth is filled with soft bits, because it's part of their progressive dynamic. Though I dunno how you'd get on with the Death growls. They're easy to understand for any Death Metal fan...but for an Indie fan....

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #57 on: 08 Jun 2005, 16:29 »

Just remembering a pretty funny quote about Interpol from someone's signature just made me think of this one but you should check out Joy Division.  Also Ugly Cassinova, it has Issac Broc from Modest Mouse plus other people I can't remember.  Oh, except for Califone, which is pretty good as well.

Coonstar

« Reply #58 on: 08 Jun 2005, 17:11 »

Quote from: happybirthdaygelatin
Just remembering a pretty funny quote about Interpol from someone's signature just made me think of this one but you should check out Joy Division.  Also Ugly Cassinova, it has Issac Broc from Modest Mouse plus other people I can't remember.  Oh, except for Califone, which is pretty good as well.

Yeah I remember reading a quote that went along the lines of "Joy Division is if Interpol learned how to write lyrics, Interpol is if Joy Divison learned how to write music." Hahah that's pretty damn insulting to both bands, I forgot where I read that from. I checked out Substance but I still hadn't gotten into it, anybody got more Joy Divison to specifically check out?

Merkava

« Reply #59 on: 08 Jun 2005, 18:58 »

Mervaka:

And I'm listening to The Residents.

*yaaaaaaaaaaaawn*

What by The Residents? Some of their stuff is not nearly as good.

*Ahem*

I was listening to the first few tracks of the "Our Tired, Our Poor, Our Huddled Masses" compilation.

AMG gives God in Three Persons a 5/5, so mabe I'll try and check that out when I can find it.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #60 on: 08 Jun 2005, 19:09 »

I haven't heard those three tracks, so I can't say anything about them. Alot of their stuff is just kinda 'meh' though, after about 1980 up until now, with a few exception (Mole Trilogy [part 1], Freak show, Wormwood, etc.) Although the very old stuff, such as Meet The Residents, Not Available, Third Reich N' Roll, Eskimo, and for some people The Commercial Album (Some love it, some hate it) are very good. And, if you can find a copy of The Warner Bros. Album or Baby Sex floating around on the interweb, grab it. They were never released, although it's very good stuff.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

La Creme

« Reply #61 on: 08 Jun 2005, 22:00 »

Benny Goodman

If you're gonna hit up the King of Swing, check out "Celestial Express" by Charlie Christian, which has some of the first jazz guitar playing, along with Benny Goodman's band. It's excellent stuff.

Also, *ahem ahem* YOU POWER-METAL SUPPLIERS DIDN'T RECOMMEND HELLOWEEN!!! Helloween are a perfectly stereo-typical metal band. Hair, harmonized ibanezs and jacksons, the singer has a really high ass metal scream voice, and there's a guitar solo on virtually EVERY song. I love them oh so much. And I also wholeheartedly agree to Blind Gaurdian. I also add Symphony X, but they're a whole different thing. Great introduction to prog they are. Cheap Yoda rip-off this is.

Also, as Kai to the Residents, I to the Sugarplastic. Get they're Cd "Bang, The Earth Is Round" and prepare to be indied. They are terrific. It's this awesome combination of just about everything, from Jon Brion to The Beatles to The Pixies to The Talking Heads to Elvis Costello. Amazing stuff.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #62 on: 09 Jun 2005, 13:59 »

Yeah I remember reading a quote that went along the lines of "Joy Division is if Interpol learned how to write lyrics, Interpol is if Joy Divison learned how to write music." Hahah that's pretty damn insulting to both bands, I forgot where I read that from. I checked out Substance but I still hadn't gotten into it, anybody got more Joy Divison to specifically check out?

Dead Souls, Love Will Tear us Apart, and She's Lost Control.  That is pretty insulting but amusing.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #63 on: 09 Jun 2005, 14:07 »

^ I didn't recommend Gamma Ray either.

...meh.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #64 on: 09 Jun 2005, 16:00 »

I checked out Substance but I still hadn't gotten into it, anybody got more Joy Divison to specifically check out?

Dead Souls, Love Will Tear us Apart, and She's Lost Control.  That is pretty insulting but amusing.

You forgot "Transmission".

But I think all those songs are on Substance, so Coonstar - all I can recommend is: listen more!

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #65 on: 09 Jun 2005, 16:25 »

I was listing what I could remember off of Permenent, which I lost a long time ago.

Merkava

« Reply #66 on: 09 Jun 2005, 16:28 »

I'd say that they're TOTALLY different. Interpol shares more simmilarities to Clinic than JV, I'd say. It's a lot more lush and beautiful, while JV was more rough, simple, and subdued.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #67 on: 09 Jun 2005, 16:38 »

I don't know, I've only heard a couple of songs really.  My friend thought they sounded even more like the Tragicaly Hip.

Jooooosh

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #68 on: 09 Jun 2005, 16:39 »

some good hard rock is Instruction
fast-food for thought

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #69 on: 09 Jun 2005, 16:46 »

Oh, for good rock I'll recomend Clutch.  Himsa is a good local (local as in a hour drive to Seattle, eh) band.  Can never go wrong with Mr. Bungle.

Coonstar

« Reply #70 on: 09 Jun 2005, 23:18 »

I'd say that they're TOTALLY different. Interpol shares more simmilarities to Clinic than JV, I'd say. It's a lot more lush and beautiful, while JV was more rough, simple, and subdued.

Yeah what I like the most about Interpol is the whole "lush" and beautiful sound to it, it's that really rich deep smooth sound. I just simply don't get the same effect from Joy Division- so I really don't get how Interpol = Joy Division.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #71 on: 10 Jun 2005, 15:00 »

Huh, I don't see Interpol as beutiful or lush.  Then again, I haven't heard them all that much and haven't heard Joy Divison in awhile either.  From my memory the comparison is kind of a desolate and simple sound for both of them.

Really though, I'm going to have to whore out Mr. Bungle again.  Check out "None of Them Knew They Were Robots" and "Goodbye Sober Day." Oh and "The Air-Conditioned Nightmare" is good.  http://www.bunglefever.com/ has some of them, look under the discography section under the album California.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #72 on: 10 Jun 2005, 15:35 »

Mr. Bungle rocks my fucking socks.

Coonstar

« Reply #73 on: 11 Jun 2005, 02:52 »

Oh man, I'd love to check out every single album that everyone has recommended (super thanks everyone) but I'm having a hard time obtaining most of them. If anyone is willing to assist me, my msn is: [email protected] =D

And again, sankyuu. Ratatat is not bad at all, I just never expected them to have that kind of sound due to their band name.

normz

« Reply #74 on: 11 Jun 2005, 10:13 »

Mr Bungle rocks my socks AND JOX .... HAHHAHA

No seriously Mike Patton is THE shit

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #75 on: 11 Jun 2005, 10:32 »

Mike Patton is another one of those cultural phenomena I don't get. Like novelty ring-tones.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

La Creme

« Reply #76 on: 11 Jun 2005, 16:11 »

Mr. Bungle rocks everyone's socks. Except Khar's apparently, which is really fucking surprising.

"Goooo-ooood Byyye a-Sober Day..."

Chakchakchakchakachakachakachakachaka.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #77 on: 11 Jun 2005, 16:48 »

'tis ok I guess, I've only really heard one track, and have never been inspired to get any more, which for me is the measure, really. It's not like, keeping it in the avant-garde field, Crotchduster, where immediately upon hearing 'Let Me Into Starfish Land' I simply downloaded all their album and started rocking backwards and forwards in anticipation of their next effort.

"BOBA FETT! BOBA FETT! VADER AND BOBA FETT! BOBA FETT! BOBA FETT! AAARRRGGGHHHH!"

Most I'll say for Patton, is that his EP with Dillinger Escape Plan is probably the least shite DEP stuff I've heard. Roughly.

Come to think of it, yeah, Crotchduster - Big Fat Box of Shit

Funniest album ever, in a good way.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #78 on: 11 Jun 2005, 17:13 »

Please tell me you didn't just use avant-garde and Crotchduster in the same sentence seriously.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #79 on: 11 Jun 2005, 18:17 »

I did, because, believe it or not Crotchduster are actually avant-garde.

All those songs about rimming grandmas and killing the Dutch seems to blind people to this fact.

Peter Linfield

« Reply #80 on: 11 Jun 2005, 22:26 »

These are the albums that I've been most into lately, they're all good, but wander around the spectrum a bit.

Dredg - El Cielo
Eagles of Death Metal - Love, Peace, and Death Metal
Matthew Good Band - The Audio of Being
Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabies to Paralyze
Radiohead - OK Computer
Rammstein - Reise, Reise
System of a Down - Mezmerize

La Creme

« Reply #81 on: 12 Jun 2005, 01:03 »

Radiohead - OK Computer

Such a fucking good album!

Jazz for someone who likely doesn't listen to much:

Grant Green - Blue Breakbeats
Karl Denson - Dance Lesson No. 2
The Bad Plus - These Are The Vistas
The Bad Plus - Give
Miles Davis - Live Evil
Miles Davis - The Birth Of The Cool
John Coltrane - Giant Steps
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters
Oscar Peterson, Joe Pass, Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen - The Trio (best jazz players ever, likely the best piano, guitar, and bass players [respectively] in history)
Charlie Christian - Celestial Express
Wes Montgomery - The Incredible Jazz Guitar
Wes Montgomery, Jimmy Smith - The Dynamic Duo
Jimmy Smith - Who's Afraid Of Virginia Wolf (may only be available on LP)
Jimmy Smith - The Sermon
Miles Davis - Seven Steps To Heaven
Miles Davis - Get Up With It
Stan Getz, Kenny Baron - People Time
<last but not least> Lee Morgan - Cornbread

many others.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #82 on: 12 Jun 2005, 01:28 »

(resisting so hard the urge to be an outrageous jazz-snob)

Coonstar

« Reply #83 on: 12 Jun 2005, 01:52 »

Dredg - El Cielo <-- will check out. Heard mucho good stuff about Dredge.
Eagles of Death Metal - Love, Peace, and Death Metal <-- hmm.
Matthew Good Band - The Audio of Being <-- I don't really like Matt Good, listened to maybe 3 albums, I like their sound but something about Matt Good's kind of drawn out vocals I don't like- especially with his solo Avalanche album.
Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabies to Paralyze <-- heard it. Rated R is way better.
Radiohead - OK Computer <-- heard it. Good stuff, just can't listen to it often.
Rammstein - Reise, Reise <-- s'okay.
System of a Down - Mezmerize <-- SOAD's not really my thing anymore

I shall check out more of those jazz albums. But dayum, soulseek needs to get way more jazz =P[/i]

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #84 on: 12 Jun 2005, 07:49 »

Quote from: La Creme

Miles Davis - Live Evil
Miles Davis - The Birth Of The Cool
Miles Davis - Seven Steps To Heaven
Miles Davis - Get Up With It

What, no Bitches Brew?

Merkava

« Reply #85 on: 12 Jun 2005, 08:55 »

yeah, wtf? That's a classic.

Coonstar

« Reply #86 on: 13 Jun 2005, 02:13 »

I've just listened to some Kraftwerk for the first time today. Oh man, they are the super cool.

Not An Addict

« Reply #87 on: 20 Jun 2005, 11:54 »

Garbage - Beautiful Garbage

[Takes CD. Breaks it in half. Gives Coonstar copy of Version 2.0.]

You'll thank me later. ;)

If you're willing to delve into a bit of electronica (or hell, if you're willing to delve into genius music period), I'd recommend Bjork's Homogenic or Post.

Coonstar

« Reply #88 on: 20 Jun 2005, 16:56 »

Quote from: Not An Addict
Garbage - Beautiful Garbage

[Takes CD. Breaks it in half. Gives Coonstar copy of Version 2.0.]

You'll thank me later. ;)

If you're willing to delve into a bit of electronica (or hell, if you're willing to delve into genius music period), I'd recommend Bjork's Homogenic or Post.

Pfffft. Garbage was the first band I ever loved. Yes of course I know Garbage, and Version 2.0, and the current one (which I do not like at all). And yes I think Beautiful Garbage is superior to all of them.

Now apologize for breaking my favorite Garbage album in two! :(

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #89 on: 20 Jun 2005, 17:13 »

Electronic=Good.  Jazz=Good.  Nu-Jazz = spectacular

Koop: Waltz for Koop
Jazzanova - In Between
Truby Trio - Elevator Music
Slowpho - Hotel Sleep
Suba - Sao Paolo Confessions
Bebel Gilberto - Tanto Tempo/Tanto Tempo Remixes/Self-Titled
Bugge Wesseltoft - Moving/Film Ing
Eivind Aarset's Electronic Noire - Light Extracts
St. Germain - Tourist

What's your opinion about mellower music?  I've got a ton of suggestions if you're into that sort of thing.

slumlord

« Reply #90 on: 20 Jun 2005, 21:36 »

Faith No More - Angel Dust
Mono - Walking Cloud And Deep Red Sky, Flag Fluttered And The Sun Shined
Gorguts - Obscura
Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
Pelican - everything they've done
Burnt by the Sun - The Perfect is the Enemy of the Good
Cryptopsy - None so Vile
Origin - Informis Infinitas Inhumanitas
Melt-Banana - Teeny Shiny

BillyxRansom

• Furry furrier
« Reply #91 on: 22 Jun 2005, 13:23 »

Quote from: Revenge_Therapist
From the belted vocals and noisy guitar catagory
Shellac- At Action Park
Naked Raygun-Basement Screams (this is their only album i certify as cool)
Jawbreaker-24 Hour Revenge Therapy
Fugazi-Red Medicine
YOU WIN.
kjodshfoasdjoJKK.;;;''''""////////32xX

BillyxRansom

• Furry furrier
« Reply #92 on: 22 Jun 2005, 13:24 »

Quote from: slumlord
Faith No More - Angel Dust

Pelican - everything they've done
Burnt by the Sun - The Perfect is the Enemy of the Good
Cryptopsy - None so Vile
Melt-Banana - Teeny Shiny
yes. even to melt banana, only because i believe mike patton has worked with them. (who HASN'T he worked with, though?)

BillyxRansom

• Furry furrier
« Reply #93 on: 22 Jun 2005, 13:33 »

MARE. MARE. MARE. MARE. PELICAN AND ISIS.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #94 on: 22 Jun 2005, 13:45 »

I can't remember Patton ever working with a decent band...

(flamebaitburn)

Congratulations on your triple post, the EDIT button is your friend.

BillyxRansom

• Furry furrier
« Reply #95 on: 22 Jun 2005, 13:47 »

edit. stupid me haha.

punkpoet

« Reply #96 on: 22 Jun 2005, 13:52 »

musical suggestions from the punk poet

awsome powermetal abnds
-falconer
-nightwish
-brainstorm
-children of bodom
-dark tranquility(more deathmetal)
-suidakra

Rocka/Psycho billy bands
-big john bates
-reverend horton heat
-horrorpops
-the cramps
-the meteros
-the matadors
-cadillac bill
-zombina and the skeletons

other badns that are pretty damn good
-16 horsepower
-Motion city soundtrack (i am the movie or commit this to memory)
-Brand new
-calexico
-nathan wiley
-death from above
- i voted for kodos
-K-os
-Mclusky
-ra
-the von bondies

allright theres my list of listenables

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #97 on: 22 Jun 2005, 13:58 »

The Murder City Devils are a good choice.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #98 on: 22 Jun 2005, 14:09 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
I can't remember Patton ever working with a decent band...

(flamebaitburn)

YEAH? WELL UR DUMB

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #99 on: 22 Jun 2005, 14:21 »

Quote from: punkpoet

-suidakra

The only Suidakra track I have is a cover of 'Skyclad's' 'The One-Piece Puzzle'. Not that I need anymore endorsement than that they have the taste to cover the fucking 'clad, but I'll take that as endorsement to add them to 'the list'.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up