THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 Apr 2024, 19:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alt Country  (Read 7091 times)

SeanBateman

Alt Country
« on: 30 Jun 2005, 15:15 »

I am a fan of this genre of Music. I have trouble encountering other people who are. Are any of you?

Praeserpium Machinarum

Alt Country
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2005, 15:19 »

only Will Oldham really, I have heard good things about The Willard Grant Conspiracy and the Handsome Family but I haven't really heard them...

StrikeThePostman

Alt Country
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2005, 15:23 »

Will Oldham is great; "I See a Darkness" is a fantastic record.  I don't really know much of anything else about the genre though.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Alt Country
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2005, 15:37 »

Definitely, but I always have trouble categorising stuff as alt-country... I tend to have a vague concept of alt-county that encompasses the folky stuff and rocky stuff on either side as well.

Some artists that I dig, whether they're technically alt-country or not: Ryan Adams, Kathleen Edwards, Bright Eyes (on "I'm Wide Awake..."), Sun Kil Moon, American Music Club, Loretta Lynn's latest album, the Pernice Brothers, Uncle Tupelo, Silver Jews.

Willard Grant Conspiracy is good too. And anything Will Oldham.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Alt Country
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2005, 15:57 »

Big fan - of alt country, and of real country also (not Nash-trash).  I am the proud owner of pretty much every album Will Oldham's put out, a couple of Silver Jews albums, both The Early Year and Massachusetts by the Scud Mountain Boys (as well as a coulpe of Pernice Brothers albums - but I wouldn't really call them alt country) - Uncle Tupelo, of course . . . Bunch of other stuff.

saturnine1979

Alt Country
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2005, 18:03 »

I <3 Lucinda Williams.

I'm sure there's others...but like you said, I have hard time labeling something Alt-Country.

El Opium

Alt Country
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2005, 23:54 »

I have a few albums lieing around by the likes of The Silver Jews, The Court and Spark and My Morning Jacket. My Fave alt. country is probably The Handsome Family, though they're a total turncoat on what even alt-country bands tend to sing about. Most of their songs are about death over a background of crass consumerism plus they have one song that vaguely sounds like Joy Division.

myfriendthelily

Alt Country
« Reply #7 on: 01 Jul 2005, 00:14 »

definitely.

Bill Mallonee and Ryan Adams are two of my favorite songwriters of all time.

also, i suggest David Eugene Edwards (sixteen horsepower/woven hand) and his peculiar brand of southern gothic. the simple fact that i feel compelled to use caps when spelling his name is indicative of the impression this man has left on my conciousness. he's like the Flannery O'Connor of the musical world....sorta.

Inlander

• coprophage
Alt Country
« Reply #8 on: 01 Jul 2005, 00:21 »

Quote from: myfriendthelily
David Eugene Edwards (sixteen horsepower/woven hand)

Fuck yes x 1000!  How the bloody hell did I forget 16 Horsepower??

myfriendthelily

Alt Country
« Reply #9 on: 01 Jul 2005, 00:46 »

Quote from: Inlander

Fuck yes x 1000!

precisely.

My Aim Is True

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.ospreyradio.com
Alt Country
« Reply #10 on: 01 Jul 2005, 05:18 »

someone made me an alt.country mix, and I really liked almost every song on it, but in that corner of th emusic world, I tend to lean towards either just straight up folk, bluegrass, or old country.
Broken hearts are for assholes. Are you an asshole?

Spencer

Alt Country
« Reply #11 on: 01 Jul 2005, 07:54 »

I like Ryan Adams early stuff. Conor's Alt-Country stuff is probably the best songwriting he has ever done. Neko Case fills me with longing. Havent really encountered too much other stuff (wilco sucks). I'd listen to a "best o' alt.country" mix if someone were so inclined to make one. I would probably like it as well.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Alt Country
« Reply #12 on: 01 Jul 2005, 09:05 »

Does Backworld come into this wierd sort of over-genre?

Tell you what, I hardly know anyone else who likes Neo-Folk.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

lastclearchance

• Furry furrier
Alt Country
« Reply #13 on: 01 Jul 2005, 09:24 »

I keep trying to get into alt-country but it hasn't happened yet.  WHat got all of you into alt-country?  I'm looking for a good album to cross me over.
zekterellium: was kant the guy, that if you thought you were doing the right thing, even if you were feeding sailors to werewolves, then it was the right thing?
Moiche: Err. . . .no I think that's Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

SeanBateman

Alt Country
« Reply #14 on: 01 Jul 2005, 18:23 »

I got started off of Ryan Adams and Wilco, and I'd say that's the easiest place to start. You can get used to their new stuff, then check out the more country music. From there, I went to their old bands, Uncle Tupelo and Whiskeytown. After that, it was hard to stop, but Old 97's are another good bridge band.

Inlander

• coprophage
Alt Country
« Reply #15 on: 01 Jul 2005, 19:01 »

For me, it all started with Lost Blues and Other Songs by Palace Music (or Will Oldham, if you prefer).

zefferoni

Alt Country
« Reply #16 on: 11 Feb 2006, 19:21 »

I started out with the Drive-By Truckers.  I don't really consider them as alt.country so much as I do Southern Rock, but they opened me up to the general sound.
My biggest recommendations (in no particluar order) are the Drive-By Truckers, Uncle Tupelo, and Son Volt.  Also high on my list are Whiskeytown, Old 97's, Centro-matic, Neko Case, Lucinda Williams, The Sadies, Trailer Bride, South San Gabriel, and Wilco.  I'm not sure if I like Ryan Adams very much.  I loved him when he was with Whiskeytown though.

If you're unawares:  Uncle Tupelo broke up into two bands:  Son Volt and Wilco.

sandocho

Alt Country
« Reply #17 on: 11 Feb 2006, 20:16 »

I love 16 Horsepower and Woven Hand (moreso the former).

Lambchop!

Also, Calexico and all those related bands; Giant Sand, solo Howe Gelb, Rainer Ptaceck, M. Ward, etc.  That whole Tucson scene just makes some amazing music.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Alt Country
« Reply #18 on: 11 Feb 2006, 20:43 »

I think The Sadies count. Okkervil River's new, fucking brilliant record Black Sheep Boy is very definitely alt-country; it reminded me of what Bright Eyes and Wilco might sound like if they had a baby but didn't want it so they left it in the woods but it got raised by wolves and came back and was taught by a beautiful lady how to be civilized and they fell in love but the beautiful lady left so the kid's just really fucked up now.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Field Fire

Alt Country
« Reply #19 on: 12 Feb 2006, 01:26 »

I love Bright Eyes, but I always considered him more alt-folk than alt-country, but I guess it's neither here nor there. I also love Okkervil River and Wilco. Songs: Ohia (or whatever they're called now) and Silver Jews are okay too.
And Johnny C hit the nail on the head with his description of Okkervil River.

almost thursday

Alt Country
« Reply #20 on: 12 Feb 2006, 06:52 »

i only listen to 16 horsepower and okkervil river but i love them both. maybe i'll check out some more artists that were mentioned in this thread. who knows?

Field Fire

Alt Country
« Reply #21 on: 12 Feb 2006, 09:53 »

Quote from: almost thursday
i only listen to 16 horsepower and okkervil river but i love them both. maybe i'll check out some more artists that were mentioned in this thread. who knows?

I don't know 16 Horsepower, but if you like Okkervil River you should like Bright Eyes, Band Of Horses, John Vanderslice and My Morning Jacket. Wilco's a must too.

saturnine1979

Alt Country
« Reply #22 on: 12 Feb 2006, 10:07 »

M. Ward and Andrew Bird!

Gryff

Alt Country
« Reply #23 on: 12 Feb 2006, 14:21 »

I saw Bonnie "Prince" Billy (AKA Will Oldham) last weekend. The best show I've been to in quite a while. Man, the band he had with him was just awesome, and the female singer was mind-blowingly good.

Borondir

• Furry furrier
    • My Last.Fm
Alt Country
« Reply #24 on: 12 Feb 2006, 14:50 »

I enjoy Wilco, but haven't really explored alt-country otherwise...

I also love real country, not Nash-trash, but good stuff from Cash (of course), but also Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, and Hank Williams.

tweedyfarrar

LOVE ALT. COUNTRY
« Reply #25 on: 12 Feb 2006, 16:11 »

Uncle Tueplo, Son Volt, Wilco, The Jayhawks, Whiskeytown, Ryan Adams, MMJ, Anders Parker, Richard Buckner, the Old 97's, Lucinda Williams, Kathleen Edwards, Neko Case, Jesse Malin etc.

Gryff

Alt Country
« Reply #26 on: 12 Feb 2006, 18:00 »

Has anyone else noticed that we're replying to a thread that's over six months old? Just askin'.

Hey seanbateman. Go back in time and be interested in this thread all over again. I DARE YA!

Inlander

• coprophage
Alt Country
« Reply #27 on: 12 Feb 2006, 18:16 »

I've noticed that someone's been going around reviving a bunch of old-and-mouldering threads all over the place in the last few days.

Gryff

Alt Country
« Reply #28 on: 12 Feb 2006, 19:25 »

GORRAM N00BZ!

I guess it is better than starting a new thread? Or is it? What is the nettiquette here?

neologisms ftw

SeanBateman

Alt Country
« Reply #29 on: 12 Feb 2006, 22:11 »

WOAH!

Where the hell did this come from?

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
Alt Country
« Reply #30 on: 12 Feb 2006, 23:08 »

Quote from: Gryff
I guess it is better than starting a new thread? Or is it? What is the nettiquette here?

I think six months is long enough to warrant starting a new thread.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Field Fire

Alt Country
« Reply #31 on: 13 Feb 2006, 00:48 »

Sorry it might've been me who revived the thread. It was only about halfway down the first page when I posted on it. I'm new here so I don't know how quickly these forums move.

Gryff

Alt Country
« Reply #32 on: 13 Feb 2006, 12:52 »

Never mind!

zefferoni

Alt Country
« Reply #33 on: 13 Feb 2006, 19:29 »

Quote from: Inlander
I've noticed that someone's been going around reviving a bunch of old-and-mouldering threads all over the place in the last few days.

Probably me.  I just signed up over the weekend and did a search for alt.country to see what came up... I just couldn't resist posting.

Rogue42

Alt Country
« Reply #34 on: 19 Feb 2006, 09:59 »

Check out Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers.  Some call them alt-country, although I don't know that I would.  They have some really good stuff though.

www.azpeacemakers.com

www.nemosgoodies.net  for some live bootlegs

http://www.myspace.com/azpeacemakers
Pages: [1]   Go Up