THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 21:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I Like Shitty Music!  (Read 63509 times)

SeanBateman

I Like Shitty Music!
« on: 30 Jun 2005, 21:52 »

Stolen from Dumbrella, but applicable here. Even for a bunch of pretentious indie kids, I am willing to bet that we all have bands that are not good that we listen to anyway. For example, I was mucking the horses earlier today(shovelling their shit) and I was rocking the most recent Blink 182 CD. Who else listens to music that they know they maybe shouldn't? And what!

lastclearchance

• Furry furrier
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2005, 22:02 »

Well I think it's kind of a defense mechanism for me, but I can point out flaws in something and rock it anyway.  Like for example.  I tend to rock things that are immaturely melodramatic, like Nine Inch Nails' The Fragile, Death Cab for Cutie'sTransatlanticism, Deftones' White Pony, and Stars' Set Yourself on Fire.  And I happen to think these are great records.  But I realize they rub others the wrong way because of the over-indulgence of the music.  

I can't really think of any albums I /shouldn't/ listen to though.
zekterellium: was kant the guy, that if you thought you were doing the right thing, even if you were feeding sailors to werewolves, then it was the right thing?
Moiche: Err. . . .no I think that's Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Signum_Tenebrae

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2005, 22:05 »

I listen to a lot of mindless music.  A lot of mediocre black metal (symphonic especially)  

A lot of the death metal I listen to is mindless as well.

but I guess other than that I don't know.

SeanBateman

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2005, 22:05 »

Aww man I jsut saw the guilty pleasures thread. Mine has a better title, but mods, lock it anyway and hide my shame.

Kanno

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2005, 22:08 »

I dunno, I listen to things that conventional indie wisdom says "completely suck".  But I don't think they suck.

Check this out:  I think Blink 182 was a good band.  They were completely mainstream, but they had some great goofy pop punk songs.  Eat it.

Here's a good motto:  What's popular (ie: opinion of bands to hate, not the bands themselves) is not always right.

Maybe some of these bands got popular because they WRITE GOOD MUSIC!

EDIT: More bands that DON'T suck:

Dave Matthews Band
Slipknot (self-titled only, everything after blew...... okay, maybe this is stretching it a bit)
fuck, what else....
Phish
Green Day
System Of A Down (not mesmerize though.. wtf happened system?)
THE SMASHING PUMPKINS (what is with all the corgan hate here?)
Tool
Foo Fighters
The Beatles (I hear this a ton)
Good Charol.... Kidding! Kidding...

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2005, 22:08 »

Listening to Blink 182 while shoveling horse shit seems somehow appropriate, really.

I really like Snoop Dogg's latest stuff - Drop It Like It's Hot is so cool. The Neptunes rule!

lastclearchance

• Furry furrier
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2005, 22:26 »

Quote from: Kanno

EDIT: More bands that DON'T suck:

Dave Matthews Band

You are entitled to your opinion, but being from Connecticut and disagreeing with you on this point I am required to hate you.  I'm really sorry about that.  :P
zekterellium: was kant the guy, that if you thought you were doing the right thing, even if you were feeding sailors to werewolves, then it was the right thing?

Kanno

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2005, 22:28 »

They don't!  Just because their fanbase is made up of drunken frat boys and idiots, doesn't mean they write bad music.  Crash is a fuckin' cool album.

stammgm

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2005, 22:29 »

thank you lastclearchance

I HATE dmb, which is anathema in these parts

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2005, 23:45 »

Well, I listen to quite a wide spread of music. A lot of it pretty pretentious, quite a bit of it 'doesn't fit', but I doubt I'll ever stop listening to:

Faux-goth-schlock (Old Marilyn Manson, newish Cradle of Filth, Jack off Jill etc. Mainly because I just think it's fun music)
Real-goth-schlock (Alien Sex Fiend, Killing Miranda, Rain Paint etc. Again, because goth is just a really fun genre)
Old hard/cock rock and hair metal (Europe, Poison, Meatloaf, Motley Crue etc. Look, my mum raised me on this stuff, ok?)
Classic punk and Oi! (The Rotters, The Anti-Nowhere League, Cock Sparrer etc. because I've GOT YOUR NUMBER OI! OI! OI!)
A very few 'modern alt. rock' or w/e bands from my mis-spent youth or that I just like. (System of a Down, The Murderdolls (Seriously, everyone's objections to this band are just because they have Joey Jordison, they're great fun), the odd bit of AFI, and of course Rammstein)

Really, I'm about as true and grim as a hamster in a KISS shirt.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Signum_Tenebrae

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #10 on: 01 Jul 2005, 01:07 »

I totally forgot about my secret closet love of heavy/power metal.

sp2

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #11 on: 01 Jul 2005, 02:16 »

They don't!  Just because their fanbase is made up of drunken frat boys and idiots, doesn't mean they write bad music.  Crash is a fuckin' cool album.

No.  They wrote one good song.  Then they repeatedly ripped themselves off.

A lot like U2, really.

Kanno

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #12 on: 01 Jul 2005, 02:55 »

What was the one good song, pray tell?

Holy hell.. why am I trying to defend DMB in an indie rock forum?  It'd probably be easier to prove the existence of God.

And Jesus H. Christ, what's with all these religious words I'm using?  I need sleep.

My Aim Is True

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.ospreyradio.com
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #13 on: 01 Jul 2005, 04:50 »

Quote from: KharBevNor

Really, I'm about as true and grim as a hamster in a KISS shirt.

Young Ones reference?
Broken hearts are for assholes. Are you an asshole?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #14 on: 01 Jul 2005, 05:41 »

Quote from: Signum_Tenebrae

Come out of the spiked steel closet of metal and headbang with us brother!

*puts on 'All Men Play on Ten'*
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #15 on: 01 Jul 2005, 06:50 »

Phish
The Beatles (I hear this a ton)

How can someone hate the Beatles? I mean, sure, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da and Octopus' Garden are two of the worst songs on Earth, but they wrote some damned good stuff. Also, Phish effing rules.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Praeserpium Machinarum

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #16 on: 01 Jul 2005, 06:54 »

I actually think Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da is a fun song but you're right about Octopus' Garden, it is kinda dumb...

Schmung

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #17 on: 01 Jul 2005, 09:05 »

Everyone seems to think I should hate Dire Straits and Fleetwood Mac, but I really, really like them both. I've also got a few Offspring CDs and more than a little Greenday, but I feel thats justified on the basis that Dookie is actaully pretty good, even if it is 'simplistic and immature'. A lot of people have this problem where they take music way, way too seriously, but sod them, they're no fun anyway.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #18 on: 01 Jul 2005, 09:08 »

Fleetwood Mac have their off moments, but how can you rag on Dire Straits? They're the Sultans of Swing ffs!

sp2

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #19 on: 01 Jul 2005, 09:45 »

What was the one good song, pray tell?

I was giving them the benefit of doubt.

Basically, every last one of their songs sounds the same.

sp2

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #20 on: 01 Jul 2005, 09:47 »

Quote from: Kai
How can someone hate the Beatles? I mean, sure, Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da and Octopus' Garden are two of the worst songs on Earth, but they wrote some damned good stuff.

Bill Hicks said it best, "The Beatles were so high they let Ringo sing a couple of tunes."

Patatat

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #21 on: 01 Jul 2005, 10:17 »

Why would I listen to something if I know it sucks?

Schmung

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #22 on: 01 Jul 2005, 10:37 »

Fleetwood Mac have their off moments, but how can you rag on Dire Straits? They're the Sultans of Swing ffs!

You forget Khar, this is a board full of indie kids to them, Dire Straits is just over produced 80s stadium rock, or something. I'm sure someone will correct me on that.

But yes, awesome. Love Over Gold, quality stuff.

lastclearchance

• Furry furrier
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #23 on: 01 Jul 2005, 10:40 »

Quote from: Schmung
You forget Khar, this is a board full of indie kids to them, Dire Straits is just over produced 80s stadium rock, or something. I'm sure someone will correct me on that.

More like "the guys who did 'Money For Nothing,' that video with the terrible computer animation and the drawn-on Day-Glo."

I have a love-hate relationship with Dire Straits.  Also, I like to wonder how Garden State would have been different if Zach Braff had been listening to Mark Knopfler instead of Colin Hay.

Merkava

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #24 on: 01 Jul 2005, 10:45 »

Before These Crowded Streets = epic

My sister and I love the band. They have really good musicians and write pretty damn good songs.

Kanno

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #25 on: 01 Jul 2005, 11:38 »

Dire Straits = yes.  How could anyone deny that?

And finally, someone to back me up on the DMB issue.

AnonymousPosterChild

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #26 on: 01 Jul 2005, 12:13 »

I still listen to Men Without Hats.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #27 on: 01 Jul 2005, 12:35 »

Yeah, but that's because they're still ace.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

TheGasherman

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #28 on: 01 Jul 2005, 13:50 »

Men Without Hats are awesome stuff.

I'm not an Indie Kid. I just listen to stuff no one has ever heard of. But not an Indie kid.

call it glitter

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #29 on: 01 Jul 2005, 13:55 »

I found myself listening to HIM earlier.

The 69 Eyes are a much better band, but I still actually rather like HIM (but I shouldn't because they 'sold out', are 'rubbish' and the singer is 'a skinny woman')

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #30 on: 01 Jul 2005, 17:12 »

MONEY FOR TNOTHING AND MY CKICKS FOR FREEE ANFD SOME SHIT ABOUT MTV FUCJ YEAH FUCK WOO

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #31 on: 01 Jul 2005, 17:20 »

I adore Kelly Clarkson.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

TBW

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #32 on: 01 Jul 2005, 21:15 »

In general I like The Mighty Mighty Bosstones even if their music can come off as corny. There is one song by them however called "High School Dance" that is probably one of the lamest songs ever written. It's a song that I really feel bad for liking, I listen to it often in my I-Pod rotation but when I really listen to the lyrics... I cringe.

I also liked/like some stuff from Blink 182.

Merkava

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #33 on: 02 Jul 2005, 09:07 »

Holy shit. We MUST get Khar on a 12-step program.

Though his drunken antics DO tickle my funny bone. :P

Kanno

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #34 on: 02 Jul 2005, 09:32 »

::Whips out 12 shot glasses and a bottle of Jack::

Here's your steps, all 12 of them.  Let's go.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #35 on: 02 Jul 2005, 11:05 »

I like the way this man thinks!

And is that an emogame avatar?

Patatat

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #36 on: 02 Jul 2005, 11:08 »

Khar don't be fooled by his 12 step program. I have a one-step program that is much better.

::gives Khar bottle of Jack's::

Thats the mans way.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #37 on: 02 Jul 2005, 11:18 »

*drinks it through his eyes*

kikanjuuneko

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #38 on: 02 Jul 2005, 11:49 »

And is that an emogame avatar?

Yeah, it's Jeremy Enigk, if I'm not mistaken. And how the fuck do you pronounce "Enigk" anyway?

Hector Gilbert

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #39 on: 02 Jul 2005, 21:17 »

Quote from: sp2

No.  They wrote one good song.  Then they repeatedly ripped themselves off.

A lot like U2, really.

I don't understand this comment at all, I've heard it a lot but it does not appear to have any logical basis.  They do have a style that is quintessentially theirs, but still have a notorious record for changing musical direction and upsetting their own fans as a result - they even went for a quite complex and confrontational epic studio album (Before These Crowded Streets) almost as if they had to prove the point that they weren't being formulaic.

For the record, I kind of enjoy Crash but I REALLY like:

Under The Table And Dreaming
Before These Crowded Streets
The Lillywhite Sessions

Those albums stand up very well against the vast majority of the others in my collection.  Any studio material after that, I could personally do without.  But I digress.

I agree with most of the bands on Kanno's list, that's a great post.  Although I must add that having heard every Foo Fighters album except for their latest they always struck me as utterly mundane, they never seemed to have much to say.  Their new acoustic stuff has surprised me a bit, though, from what little I've heard.

Not An Addict

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #40 on: 02 Jul 2005, 22:26 »

Two words: Paula Abdul. I own not one, but two Paula Abdul CDs. Two. And neither one is the Greatest Hits. Does this thread have a winner? Yes, I think it does.

And anyone who doesn't like Fleetwood Mac gets taken off my Blackberry. I mean, really.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #41 on: 02 Jul 2005, 22:32 »

Rick Springfield.  REO Speedwagon.  Ah-Ha.  Duran Duran.

thank you, goodnight!

ASturge

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #42 on: 03 Jul 2005, 12:03 »

TAKEEEEE OOOOOON MMEEEEE

my band covers that

lastclearchance

• Furry furrier
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #43 on: 03 Jul 2005, 12:19 »

Quote from: Not An Addict
Two words: Paula Abdul. I own not one, but two Paula Abdul CDs. Two. And neither one is the Greatest Hits. Does this thread have a winner? Yes, I think it does.

I think that the phrase "Paula Abdul" should become slang.  Like if you want a regular latte ("straight up" if you will) it should be called a Paula Abdul latte.

Borondir

• Furry furrier
    • My Last.Fm
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #44 on: 03 Jul 2005, 12:26 »

Quote from: Signum_Tenebrae
There's nothing to be ashamed of with power metal. Come on, IT'S THE POOOOOWWWWEERRRR OF THE DRAAAAAAGGON FLAAAAME!  ;)  

I don't actively listen to any bands I myself consider shitty, but I listen to plenty of bands that all the cool kids think are shitty. And of course, bands that indie kids would think are great, but my metal brothers in arms would think are crap.  

I occasionally listen to Coheed and Cambria, AFI, Thrice, Coldplay or even Green Day. And I don't care what you think.

Oh yeah, and U2 is great even though they are one of the most popular bands in the world.  Don't hate on them just because they are awesome arena rock.

Not An Addict

I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #45 on: 03 Jul 2005, 15:43 »

Quote from: Borondir
Don't hate on them just because they are awesome arena rock.

Of course not. Hate on them because they're shitty arena rock.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #46 on: 03 Jul 2005, 15:50 »

Actually, I kinda like AFI.

You may kill me now.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #47 on: 03 Jul 2005, 16:22 »

AFI leads to screamo, screamo leads to plain ol' emo, emo leads to being an emo kid.

AFI is a gateway band.
also israel

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #48 on: 03 Jul 2005, 16:42 »

The only thing AFI ever led me to was The Misfits.

Thank fuck.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
I Like Shitty Music!
« Reply #49 on: 03 Jul 2005, 16:45 »

Quote from: BrittanyMarie
I adore Kelly Clarkson.

THANK YOU! I so got wailed on when I said I liked her....in the back of my mind.... Haha, but I definately shouldn't.

For me its gotta be random top-radio hip hop songs. They're just really catchy. SNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPP!
I like the way you work it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up