THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What comic books do you read?  (Read 27995 times)

kiwibrombeer

What comic books do you read?
« Reply #50 on: 31 Aug 2005, 03:00 »

@gryff
ok, saying they are crap was a little to harsh (let's just call it my opinion as one who has tried them and wasn't quite - or at all - satisfied), but, hey, you can't deny that they are pretty much mainstream, right? (no offense meant).
  i just tend to lose all interest in over-detailed comics and i guess i'm somewhat speech bubbles fixated plus beeing the thanks-but-no-action-movies-for-me-i'm-far-too-intellectual-girlie-type (urghs..).. euh, you get the picture, right?

@moiche
to continue (slowly) you might have a look at marcel ruijters 'sine qua non', a strange but quite funny comic (drawings inspired by medieval wood cuttings, all of the (little) text in latin - but rather understandable as even i without any latin classes, get the point)

Jed

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #51 on: 01 Sep 2005, 00:09 »

XIII by William Vance & Jean Van Hamme
Sin City & Hardboiled by Frank Miller
Megatokyo (vol. 3) by Fred Gallagher
Akira by Katsuhiro Otomo volumes: 1-8 at the moment.
Viivi ja Wagner by Jussi "Juba" Tuomola
Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson
Aku Ankka (Donald Duck) by Don Rosa
"To say that Columbus discovered America is by no means inaccurate! I discover things people already knew about all the time!"

TheCourtJester

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • OB/GYN/OMG/WTF/BBQ!
« Reply #52 on: 01 Sep 2005, 01:04 »

-Calvin and Hobbes...duh.
-Peanuts
-Garfield (the OLD books...when garfield walked on all fours and didn't suck so much ass)
-Johnny The Homicidal Maniac...I like Jhonen's stuff well enough...but I can't bring myself to buy Bad Art Collection...there's a reason it's called "BAD." Also, he hates his fans, which is why his projects are never finished or his "projects" are never finished.
-Too Much Coffee Man - Parade of Tirade

That's about it, really...
The sad thing about tennis is that no matter how good you get, you'll never be as good as a wall.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #53 on: 04 Sep 2005, 20:44 »

Quote from: TheCourtJester
Garfield (the OLD books...when garfield walked on all fours and didn't suck so much ass)

Fuck! Amen to that, brother. Garfield used to be my favourite when I was a kid (the all fours era), but he licks testicle-meat now.

lessthanfirst

« Reply #54 on: 05 Sep 2005, 04:26 »

I used to get Nightwing, Amazing Spiderman, Ultimate Spiderman, Batman:Gotham Knights and some other stuff. Unfortunately my local comic shop closed recently but at the time I was only getting Amazing Spiderman and Ultimate Spiderman.

From now on I'm gonna keep trying to get Ultimate Spiderman but anything else is gonna have to be graphic novels I think. I have the first graphic novel of 100 Bullets and it's really good. Next time I go to Liverpool I'll probably go to the comic shop and try out Spawn. Batman graphic novels seem like they're worth the effort and money as well. I wouldn't mind getting Mightwing again too.

Webcomics: I read Questionable Content and Nothing Nice to Say. I've had small scans of No 4th Wall to Break as well.

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
« Reply #55 on: 05 Sep 2005, 08:13 »

I used to read a lot of superhero stuff, and oddly enough, I still wish I could.  I'll pick up the odd issue of this or that, but for the big two, I've been completely turned off by most books that they've put out this year.  House of Inifinite Identity Crisis M to me, seems to just firmly establish that the crisis is that thye're just doing what they've done before to get to the automatic 'restart' button. It has this really weird feeling of not actually having to be read, dispite all of the hype and spin surrounding it.  It also seems very average and by the numbers dispite the intentions and 'shock' of it all.

Okay, that was a rant, what does everyone else think of the big events?

As to what I do read, I'm still finishing up the holes in my Shade: The Changing Man collection, as well as getting most Ashley Wood work, like Popbot and Lore.  Optic Nerve when it comes out, Blankets was excellent as well.  Y:TLM has been mentioned, I enjoy it.  And to completely blow what I said before, there are exceptions to the big two rule, like Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers books.  I've really gotten into them.

toastyghost

« Reply #56 on: 06 Sep 2005, 12:09 »

Quote from: dancarter
Optic Nerve when it comes out, Blankets was excellent as well

Seconded. Currently I'm having a bit of a Warren Ellis phase. I'm filling the gaps between new issues of Desolation Jones with re-reading all of Transmetropolitan.

I can't wait for Fell either.

I picked up some issues of Dead@17 the other day and thats really, really good too. Something about teenage girls killing zombies that does it for me.

Salamander Dream by Hope Larson is wonderful too, but not really a traditional comic per se. You can read it all online anyway: http://www.secretfriendsociety.com/index.php?p=2

Gryff

« Reply #57 on: 06 Sep 2005, 15:33 »

I'm just picking up Y The Last Man, and some Batman stuff.

dinosrawr

« Reply #58 on: 12 Sep 2005, 17:35 »

i'm not a traditional comic reader i guess, in the way that i buy the comic when it comes out, i buy the "graphic novel" version of it instead! i'm a fan of ultimate spider man, y the last man, runaways and uh that's about it.

Earthbound Misfit

« Reply #59 on: 18 Sep 2005, 13:03 »

Quote from: clockworkjames
i like topcow/image for the artwwork style, and the grittyness, i dont personally see it in marvel and its there, just not as much in dc.

Oddly enough, I tend to prefer Marvel and DC for exactly the opposite reason.  While I don't mind grittiness in and of itself, it seems too often that Image uses it in place of an actual storyline or as if to say "oh, look how dark we can be" and I intensely dislike comics (or just about anything else) that are gritty just for the sake of being gritty.  As long as good art and grittyness contribute to the development of a storyline, I think they're great.  But that's just me.

Earthbound Misfit

« Reply #60 on: 18 Sep 2005, 13:10 »

Quote from: Gryff
Quote from: kiwibrombeer
I don't care if reading Spiderman makes me un-indie.

That's the way it should be....  You should read what you like, not what others think you should like.  It's funny how "indie" is supposed to mean independent, but some people use it to mean that you can't be "indie" unless you like what we/I like.

Daniel

« Reply #61 on: 20 Sep 2005, 07:42 »

I always have been, and always will be a sucker for Superheroes comics, mostly of the Marvel and DC variety. Indie be damned, I say!

On my pull list at the moment:
    Plastic Man
    Daredevil
    Astonishing X-men
    Captain America
    Authority Revolution
    Runaways (soon to be dropped, I think)
    Young Avengers
    Ultimates
    Iron Man
    All-Star Batman (I'm
really looking forward to All-Star Superman)
Intimates
JLA
Silent Dragon (almost indie...)
All of the Seven Soldiers ('cos they're awesome)
Most of the Infinite Crisis stuff ('cos I'm a sucker)
Probably some other stuff that I can't remember right now[/list:u]

Quote from: My Aim Is True
Quote from: armyofwires

Marvel Knights Daredevil (bye Bendis)

:(

one more issue. it better be fucking amazing, to cap off this run.

It's the last arc, but there's five issues left to go. (and the first of the arc was great, in my opinion). And with Ed Brubaker and Micheal Larkk taking over after Bendis and Maleev go, it's only going to get better.

Adam Murray

« Reply #62 on: 23 Oct 2005, 02:59 »

100 bullets (admittadley bought in trades)
    All Star Goddamn Batman
    All Star Superman
    Amazing Joy Buzzards
    Astonishing X-Men
    B.P.R.D
    Batman
    Battle Hymn
    Daredevil
    Elks Run
    Ex Machina
    Fear Agent (its out on the 26th, but i know Ill be picking it up, Rick Remender hasnt let me down yet)
    Ferro City
    THE GOON
    Hero Camp
    Hellboy
    Malsaine
    Mora
    Night Mary
    New Avengers
    Powers
    Revelations
    Strange girl
    Seven Soilders
    The Ultimates
    Ultimate Fantastic Four
    Ultimate Spider-Man
    Ultimate X-Men[/list:u]

And I'd reccomend anything with Bryan Lee O'Malley's aname on it.  Same goes with Corey Lewis too.  Sharknife and Peng ROCK!!

And anything drawn by Seth Fisher, i'm just a sucker for.  love that guy

Also, in regards to the new DD team, i saw some preveiw art online for it and christ almighty, Lark has knocked this one out of the park.  Looks amazing

tasteslikeevil

« Reply #63 on: 24 Oct 2005, 16:52 »

Quote from: ace!sodapop
bryan lee o'malley's stuff is adorable! gogo scott pilgrim!

Scott Pilgrim (and all of Bryan Lee O'Malley's stuff in general really) is the top frickin' tier in terms of contemporary comics in my books! His art is a lot less simplistic than it initially looks, and his humour and sense of pacing are frickin' GENIUS!

Just check out this recent example from his site: http://www.radiomaru.com/comics/short/monica/

Rone

« Reply #64 on: 25 Oct 2005, 08:29 »

Finder by Carla Speed McNiel
Mister Blank by Christopher J. Hicks
Poison Elves by Drew Hayes

Those'd be my top three, although I partake of the Ultimate Spiderman regularly as well.

Gryff

« Reply #65 on: 03 Nov 2005, 14:49 »

I've just been reading through my old Hellboy trades. Man, that's some good stuff! Mike Mignola's artwork is so striking - kinda simple but dramatic and "gothic" (for want of a better word). I need to get the last few that I don't have.

Has anyone read the BPRD books? How do they compare to Hellboy?

clerise

« Reply #66 on: 06 Nov 2005, 19:17 »

Sandman byNeil Gaiman
Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis
Early 90's Batman
Kingdom Come by Elliot S. Maggin
Buddha by Osamu Tezuka

heh. that's a bout it, i think.

iKitten

« Reply #67 on: 23 Nov 2005, 00:27 »

I'm following the new B.P.R.D. storyline right now.  Can't speak for what came before, but they're doing some very good stuff (and some not so good "oh s***" stuff too) with this one.  And if the Island is happening prior to or concurrent to this storyline, we may be looking at a return of Hellboy himself to the action.

Other than that, I'm mostly following Infinite Crisis right now, along with the lead in series (Day of Vengence, OMAC Project, Villains United, and tie-ins).  Some great writing is going on there, the likes of which I've always wanted to see.

ggeorge2814

Ummm
« Reply #68 on: 23 Nov 2005, 06:24 »

Ok, my list (I'm just gonna go ahead and be the generic guy here):

1) Green Lantern in the mothaf'in hizzouse!
2) Green Lantern Corps (once again in the said mothaf'in hizzouse... you know)
3) Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder (Frank Miller... get this book)
4) Justice (Alex Ross's new gig with DC.. mmm... I'm totally hetero, but Alex Ross's watercolor skills make me wanna be turned into a great big soylent green cracker, so Mr. Ross could eat me up... teehee)
5) I also find myself always re-reading Watchmen and Kingdom Come.
6) Also, I devour anything I can find that says Madman... oh Madman, where did you go?!? It is the east, and Allred is the Sun.

I'm not too big into Marvel anymore. In Jr. High and High School I liked Marvel, mostly spidey and x-men, but not so much anymore... the old school majestic DC heroes really take me in now.

There it is. No obscure references, no foreign imports... just plain ol' DC.

"G"

Tre

« Reply #69 on: 23 Nov 2005, 12:26 »

I think someone else already said this but I pretty much only buy the tpbs (I live on a small british island with no comic shops)
I love: Preacher (All tiime favourite series)
The Ultimates
Y the last man
Walking dead
any Batman (Hush is AWESOME)
and Sin City
among others...
has anyone else read steve niles' 'remains'? it rocks hard

unhealthyaddiction

« Reply #70 on: 09 Dec 2005, 11:17 »

Quote from: clerise
Sandman byNeil Gaiman

my good friend raves about gaiman's sandman. i should probably check it out. but i pretty much just read comics for the sentimental aspect. i was one of the many that read anything spider-man or x-men related (incl. x-factor, x-force, excalibur) and dabbled in everything else marvel. in the last year or so, i've started picking up TPB's of the old series i used to read and the newer iterations of those characters. here are all of the TPB's sitting on my bookshelf...

x-men: fatal attractions   (by far my favorite x-men story arch)
spider-man: maximum carnage   (venom's a good guy!)
x-men legends: vol 1. mutant genesis   (the beginning of the 1991 x-men comic, the art style i grew up on)
x-men legends: vol 2. the dark phoenix saga   (story from a good 10 yrs before i started reading, but such a good one)
x-men & ghost rider: brood trouble in the big easy   (great crossover that picks up where mutant genesis left off)
x-men: age of apocalypse, the complete epic. vol. 2   (fun alternate reality, after the second x-men legends game, i had to buy this)
x-men: dream's end   (colossus' death)
astonishing x-men: vol 1. gifted   (joss whedon rocks!)
astonishing x-men: vol 2. dangerous   (beast finally acts like a beast)
the ultimates: vol 1. super-human   (the guy at the comic shop told me i would like this)
the ultimates: vol 2. homeland security   (the guy at the comic shop was right)
new avengers: vol 1. breakout   (OMG! wolvey, spidey, cap, and iron-man together!)

StupidityKills

« Reply #71 on: 09 Dec 2005, 13:02 »

A bit of an odd selection but:
Jeffrey Brown
James Kochalka
Dan Clowes
Preacher
Transmetropolitan
Lenore

We have a great comic shop here in Bristol though, the guys in there love Jeffrey Brown and we chat about having odd rare stuff by him. Last time I went in and bought 'Damn You Frida Kahlo' and the guy was like, I knew when you came in you'd get that. And ok yeah I pretty much have a huge crush on him. :blush:

cacahuate

« Reply #72 on: 10 Dec 2005, 08:34 »

I like to read Jhonen Vasquez's stuff.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up