THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: harry potter and the half blood prince - WITH SPOILERS  (Read 78426 times)

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time

so for anyone that has finished reading the book...

i was at work for the midnight release... but my parents, being as awesome as they are, bought me a copy at midnight and dropped it off for me. ^_^ so yay for that.

SPOILERS BEGIN NOW (added by Clara)

i'm really sad that she killed dumbledore. i actually cried.
i gasped aloud when the harry-ginny thing started. yaaaay!
i'm a bit disappointed that she used the word slut in the book... but not enough to make a big deal about it.

all in all, i think i liked this one best so far.... slightly better than gof i think... but i didn't feel that way until the last thrid of the book.

/geek
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

InsideOut

Re: harry potter and the half blood prince - WITH SPOILERS
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2005, 18:06 »

Quote from: toastess

/geek

Yeah, I enjoyed that too.  Until they broke up 2 chapters later.

I enjoyed the beginning of the book, then began to get frustrated as things went on.  I still liked it though.

greenblob

• Not quite a lurker
harry potter and the half blood prince - WITH SPOILERS
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2005, 18:36 »

I just finished!!!

my correct predictions:
1. dumbledore dies (kinda became obvious when JKR said something along the lines of "that'd give away the book" when she was replying to rumors about it)
2. snape is evil. I've always hated him.
3. basically all of harry's O.W.L.s (+/- 1 grade)
4. Harry<3Ginny

whee...4 is better than last year

and to copy toastess...
[/UBERGEEK]

LittleBoyLost

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2005, 18:45 »

i'm a bit disappointed that she used the word slut in the book... but not enough to make a big deal about it.

/geek

Why? It's much more real. Voldemort's mother had come from an abusive home, and I think a father calling his daughter a 'slut' show's how horrible his background was. I'm glad she used the word 'slut'. The books have really matured.

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
SLUTS IN HARRY POTTER
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2005, 20:58 »

>>i'm a bit disappointed that she used the word slut in the book... but not enough to make a big deal about it.<<

<<Why? It's much more real. Voldemort's mother had come from an abusive home, and I think a father calling his daughter a 'slut' show's how horrible his background was. I'm glad she used the word 'slut'. The books have really matured.>>

I know that it stunned me. Making it far, far  worse was that (in the US version at least) two words after the word "slut," the word "who're" appeared. As in whoAPOSTROPHEre. But still, mentally remove that apostrophe, in such close proximity to "slut" and you get a SCARY mental image for a kid's book.

My verdict on the entire book: It's only fitting that that after the weakest book in the series, HP&tOOP, comes what I feel is the best one yet.

Lee Zion.
"If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me." (Genesis 47:29 KJV)

Drewbacca

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2005, 21:02 »

Ahh, that's better. I havn't read any of the HP books yet, so I don't mind the spoilers. It will be helpful to know what happens when everyone starts talking about it tho.

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jul 2005, 22:37 »

while i personally was not put off by the use of the word slut, i know that a lot of seven year olds read these books... and i would not want to be the one to explain what a slut is to my seven year old sister/daughter/kid/etcetera....

yeah, i had an inkling that dumbledore was going to die, but i was hoping that it was wrong or that it would at least get saved until the last book.

and i never liked snape either!

p.s. i don't really have a seven year old anything. yay.
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came

Clara

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jul 2005, 23:37 »

I added that little warning before the spoilers, JUST IN CASE.

Yaaaaaay.

Okbye :)

salada

• Curry sauce
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jul 2005, 00:48 »

WHY DID I JUST READ THIS THREAD :/

I HAVEN'T EVEN TOUCHED A COPY OF THE BOOK YET

*bangs head on desk*

marenpoop

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jul 2005, 02:08 »

Seven year olds know more than you would think...

Just finished the book, awesome but horribly depressing.

normz

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jul 2005, 05:16 »

The bit about dumbledore made me cry too :-( I dunno I'm a bit weirded out about all this 'snogging' business I mean why do the lil Hogwarts kids have to grow up dammit ...... next book Hermoine might have a pregnancy scare then again I guess it does make it more convincing and all but i dunno I think their getting more and more adult and not as kiddie friendly anymore. I still really liked it and now I'm totally hyped for the next one as it will mean hopefully be the final death of voldermort although I'm guessing we will sacrifice a few more key characters possibly Hermoine or Ron :-( But yeah Harry is totally set for some major vengence

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jul 2005, 06:39 »

Rowling basically just woke up one day and said, "Hmm... you know everything light and happy in my books?  I'd like to just discard all that."

I feel personally betrayed because I DID like Snape.  Not in a "OMG ALAN RICKMAN IS SO HOTTT!" way, but because I like good guys that aren't necessarily nice people.  And now I hate him more than Kreacher and Umbridge combined.  I hope he gets sodomized by a train.

And I'm still holding on to (probably extremely false) hope that this was all an elaborate plot and that Dumbledore had worked things out with Snape to make sure that Malfoy didn't become a murderer.  I don't hope this because I like Snape, but because I just REALLY DON'T WANT DUMBLEDORE TO BE WRONG!

Off to go light a candle and listen to "Into the West".
"It's funny how you think I'm an asshole because I've got HIGH self esteem"

Aphi

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jul 2005, 08:18 »

I found it fairly predictable, but that doesn't mean I liked what happened. What I hoped and what I expected are two different things.

Snape betraying Dumbledore----I had a nagging feeling it would probably happen, but hoped against hope that he would turn out to be the good guy all along. Yeah right.

Tonks/Lupin---TOTALLY unexpected! Whoo!

Dumbledore getting the axe---I thought it'd wait 'till the seventh book, but there you go. Now Harry's left without his mentor.

ADDITION: Oh----R:A:B, anyone?

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #13 on: 17 Jul 2005, 08:50 »

Here's what I guessed right before the book was released:

1. Dumbledore was the casualty.

2. Snape was the HBP.

3. Harry and Ginny Weasley got together.

4. Tonks and Lupin. (Well, I didn't really think there WAS anything between them, but I thought it would be cool if there was)

5. Fleur and Bill got engaged.

6. Voldemort had put part of his soul in something else (admittedly, I thought he had put part of himself in Harry, because of all the similarities between them.  I had no idea that he had six pieces of himself scattered around.)

7. Snape got to teach DADA.

Here's what I never saw coming:

1. Snape would betray Dumbledore.

2. Harry would decide not to come back to Hogwarts.

As for R.A.B., I have no idea.  I thought Regulus Black, but he's supposed to be dead, right?

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #14 on: 17 Jul 2005, 09:37 »

i thought of regulus black first too... i don't know exactly how that would work since he's dead.... but maybe it happened a long time ago? i don't know.

the more i've thought about it, the less dumbledore's death bothers me. harry's mentor is gone... i think it was the next step. when it gets down to it, i think harry needs to face voldemort alone.

LittleBoyLost

« Reply #15 on: 17 Jul 2005, 12:16 »

i thought of regulus black first too... i don't know exactly how that would work since he's dead.... but maybe it happened a long time ago? i don't know.

the more i've thought about it, the less dumbledore's death bothers me. harry's mentor is gone... i think it was the next step. when it gets down to it, i think harry needs to face voldemort alone.

I'm thinking one of the dudes who run Borgin and Burkes, the Dark Artifact, shop. Regulus Black did turn back to the good side, so it is possible, but Borgin or Burke seems likely too.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #16 on: 17 Jul 2005, 12:22 »

Just finished it. Literally within the last two or three minutes, and I didn't skip a single word, either.

Aside from the chills, and the small voice in the back of my mind that's repeating "holy shit..." to itself over and over, My response:

That is a GOOD book. I'll definitely be re-reading it in short order.

I have to admire Rowling, really - she's not afraid to Kill off major characters, and she CERTAINLY doesn't shy away from death, upheaval and all-round nastiness. HP&HBP should have a "PG" certificate, I swear. Murder, the undead, betrayal, blood blood blood...

I just hope that the seventh book lives up to the ending of this one. Rowling was definitely surfing her creative wave when she came to the last few chapters, I think.

She's like that - under normal cirumstances, I still wouldn't call her an above average writer. Her gift, however, appears to be that every so often she shifts up a gear and suddenly becomes an outstanding one, precisely when it most counts. She's like a kung fu master who strings you along and lets you think you aren't up against a challenge, and then, suddenly, it's raining fists.

Top 3 favourite points in the book:

- Weasley's Wizard Wheezes.

- The kiss.

- The last line.

I just wish she'd stop using the word "snogging". It's too vulgar.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
Deaths, maturity level
« Reply #17 on: 17 Jul 2005, 12:22 »

I knew that Dumbledore was going to die, either in this book or in the next. Much as I dislike what that SP2 guy wrote in the other Harry Potter thread, he was right in saying that the series re-uses a lot of fantasy elements. Since Harry had a mentor in Dumbledore (the same way Luke had a mentor in Obi-Wan) it was only natural that Dumbledore would have to die (the same way Obi-Wan died) so that The Hero could grow.

One thing that is truly a tragedy is that no matter how many lives Harry saves (Ginny, Arthur and now Ron) people close to him still die. And still worse, all these deaths are pointless. Cedric Diggory: nonchalantly killed because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sirius Black: Fell through a curtain. Albus Dumbledore: Weakened himself to the point where he could not defend himself while pursuing an item to kill Voldemort — an item that turned out to be a fake.

And yet, life definitely goes on. The end of the sixth book reads like Four Weddings and a Funeral, with Bill&Fleur, Lupin&Tonks, Ron&Hermione, and Harry&Ginny coupling at Dumbledore's wake.

As Harry's readers are growing up, the series is growing up with them. Many of the readers who were Harry's age when the first book came out will have children of their own by the time HP7 hits the stands.

Lee Zion.
"If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me." (Genesis 47:29 KJV)

Tactical Error

• Plantmonster
« Reply #18 on: 17 Jul 2005, 12:39 »

Just a minor correction, It is Morfin(her brother), not Marvolo(her father), who calls Marope a slut. I was only mildly taken aback thet the word actually appeared in the book. And how about them being cross-eyed due to inbreeding?
Speaking of inbreeding, Tonks/Sirius just didn't seem right to me. I didn't exactly suspect Lupin though.
The love theme was quite a bit stronger than ever before in this one. I think it was handled well enough.

On the note of borrowing from the established concepts of magic, any good fantasy fan should notice Voldemort for what he truly is now, A Lich. Also, was it just me or did the chapter "the cave" read like a D&D adventure?

It is rather definate that Dumbledore is dead but for anyone who want's to hold out the smallest bit of hope, Dumbledore's body is not actually seen at the funeral and a certain potion comes to mind(Draught of the Living Death).
Edit: For this theory to work, Snape has to be one HELL of an actor and Dumbledore would have a lot of explaining to do for sending people through such an emotional upheaval.

RAB also made me thing of Regulus first but who knows.

Despite Harry's intentions at the end, I doubt we've seen the lats of Hogwarts.
Quote from: camelpimp
Funny how recognizing the problem doesn't really help one on the road to solving it.
http://tacticalerror.deviantart.com/

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Re: Deaths, maturity level
« Reply #19 on: 17 Jul 2005, 12:43 »

Quote from: LeeZion
I knew that Dumbledore was going to die, either in this book or in the next. Much as I dislike what that SP2 guy wrote in the other Harry Potter thread, he was right in saying that the series re-uses a lot of fantasy elements. Since Harry had a mentor in Dumbledore (the same way Luke had a mentor in Obi-Wan) it was only natural that Dumbledore would have to die (the same way Obi-Wan died) so that The Hero could grow.

I noticed that too - Harry splitting with Ginny at the end, for her protection, to me reads a bit like Spider-man's relationship with MJ. Hell, Ginny's even got girl-next-door redhead thing going on...

I'd hardly say that using such established literary staples as killing off the mentor and finishing amicably with the girl for noble reasons is a bad thing - hell, without re-using certain hooks, stories would simply never get written, simple as that.

Having said that, I think having the mentor killed off by a trusted (apparent) ally, of that ally's free will is either unique or else very, very rare. I think I mostly thought that Snape, despite being an unpleasant bloke, was still mostly on the level.

With regards to R.A.B: Regulus Black would be the only name I can think of that matches, but his middle name was never mentioned, I think.  On the other hand, the impression I got (from a quick re-reading of that section in HP&OotP) was that Regulus Black probably wasn't smart, brave or powerful enough to get past the defences around that amulet. Dumbledore said that it would require a wizard of surpassing skill, plus backup, to get that far, and I got the impression from the short tale of Regulus Black that the dude was, at the very most, only an average and impressionable wizard.

It is rather definate that Dumbledore is dead but for anyone who want's to hold out the smallest bit of hope, Dumbledore's body is not actually seen at the funeral and a certain potion comes to mind(Draught of the Living Death)

He was hit with Avada Kadavra so hard that he was sent flying. Seeing as there's basically no known defence against that that doesn't make the curse rebound upon it's caster, I'd say he's dead. you certainly never saw him drink, or have time to drink, a sleep potion. I will, however, concede that you don't see his body at the funeral, merely a shroud-wrapped form that is most probably his corpse.

Besides, it'd be a real cop-out for Rowling to bring him back - SERIOUS deus ex machina. And if there's one thing we've been shown, it's that she doesn't really like to use DEM if she can help it.

sp2

« Reply #20 on: 17 Jul 2005, 13:33 »

Quote from: Switchblade
Besides, it'd be a real cop-out for Rowling to bring him back - SERIOUS deus ex machina. And if there's one thing we've been shown, it's that she doesn't really like to use DEM if she can help it.

SNRK!!!!

Also, no offense, Sideways, but you argued repeatedly that Harry Potter is a kids book.  This one definitely does not sound like a kid's book.

Just making observations.

Inanimate Object

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • http://www.psptown.com
« Reply #21 on: 17 Jul 2005, 13:36 »

I just finished about 15 minutes ago. I enjoyed it, but I think the previous 2 books were better.

I liked how we got more back-story into Voldemort's life, but other than that the lessons with Dumbledore were a little boring. I was sad to see him go though. The last part of the book had me turning the pages as fast as I could.

It seems like this one was filled with a lot more romance than the previous books. I guess one could attribute that to the "well, they're teenagers, it's natural" argument, but it seems almost as if J.K. Rowling is selling out a little.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #22 on: 17 Jul 2005, 14:23 »

Quote from: sp2
SNRK!!!!

While I'm inclined to simply invite you to fuck off and actually read the book before getting involved here, I think I'll do that after a somewhat more civil rebuttal:

Book 1: Harry got out of his encounter with Quirell by being harmful to the guy on contact. Perhaps a slight cop-out, but well justified, so I'm prepared to let it slide. Besides, he did have to get through a series of trials and locks invented by some of Hogwart's best teachers in order to get there in the first place, that probably counts for something.

Book 2: Fawkes turning up with the hat and sword - Harry declared his loyalty to Dumbledore, Fawkes turned up. Again, justified. Besides, even with the sword and phoenix, it was hardly an easy fight.

Book 3: Fought his own way out of a tight corner. No help whatsoever.

Book 4: Aided through the tri-wizard tournament by a death eater who meant him harm anyway. Subsequently got himself out of harm's way without much in the way of aid, AND helf his own against Voldemort, completely without assistance.

book 5: Hard fight, godfather killed, got out of it, but only barely. Dumbledore's arrival did little bar saving Harry's life.

book six: Hard fight, mentor killed, got the crap kicked out of him by Snape, NO HELP.

I've not seen a single example of obvious DEM in the entire series. Rowling is at least competent enough not to fall back on that tired old mechanism. Sure, she's not afraid to bring in a little extra help for Harry, but she's always sufficient justification for it, and the incoming help has never managed to single-handedly save the day and provide a happy ending - Dumbledore didn't save Sirius, for example - so it isn't DEM. DEM is the ending of "Shaun of the Dead" not of "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", which was the closest Rowling has ever come to using it.

Now for the bit where I get uncivilised.

We know you don't like J.K. Rowling, or the Harry Potter books, OR the extended franchise. We are at least sufficiently intelligent to have gotten that much into our heads the first time you said it, never mind that you've been playing the same shit like a stuck record ever since. Shut the fuck up, go back to the other HP thread and let those of us who want to retrospectively discuss THIS BOOK on its own, without your "Rowling is a hack" attitude, get on with it.

Or have you actually read HP&HBP and come up with something relevant, intelligent and useful to add to the discussion?

Now, I know I'm being nasty here, and I apologise, but while I'm prepared to hear you out on the whole "Rowling = bad" argument, you've just added one too many straw to the proverbial camel. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Don't be so quick to assume that people give a flying purple fuck about your opinion. You're not a fan, FINE. I'm cool with that. What I object to is your barging in here and beginning to spread the same old shit around all over again. We're discussing the book in retrospect here, and while you're entitled to both have and express an opinion, I really must stress that, as far as I'm concerned (obviously, I can't speak for everyone else), that your opinion will not be welcome on this thread so long as you haven't actually read the book, cover to cover, and thought about it for a while.

Anyway, rant and topic deviation over.

Quote from: Inanimat Object
I enjoyed it, but I think the previous 2 books were better.

I'd have to disagree with your saying that Order of the Phoenix was better... that one seemed to be the uninspired one to me. Rowling trotted along at a steady pace and never once seemed to hit that extra creative burst she has. Goblet of Fire, however...

Jury's still out on that, really. I think I prefer HBP, but that may be because I've always preferred stuff with a darker edge to it. Both novels were definitely written in a higher average gear than the rest of the series.

It seems like this one was filled with a lot more romance than the previous books

Tell me about it. round about Chapter 15, there was one hell of a love web going on.

Like I say, I just wish Rowling had used "Kissing" instead of "snogging". I know it's a typically Brit-kid word, but I still find it to be an uncomfortable term. In fact, her handling of the kissy stuff in that section of the book was more than a bit uncomfortable for me, simply because of the language she was using. The short space where Harry and Ginny finally got together was much more comfortable.

That may have been deliberate, mind. Using the slightly coarser language certainly created an impression of awkwardness and wrongness, so when the relationship fell properly into place, it just worked better. Interesting technique, though I think Rowling could still have been somewhat more subtle...

Whatever, I'll think about it some more...

LittleBoyLost

« Reply #23 on: 17 Jul 2005, 16:20 »

Quote from: Tactical Error

It is rather definate that Dumbledore is dead but for anyone who want's to hold out the smallest bit of hope, Dumbledore's body is not actually seen at the funeral ...

Dumbledore's body was at the funeral. Hagrid carried him to the wooden table, then there was the eulogy, then that explosion made the insta-tomb around his body.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: 17 Jul 2005, 16:23 »

Ah, but it was all wrapped in cloth.

Anyway, how come no discussion yet of the insane break of format book 7's going to be? Also the fact that Harry is never going to finish his exams, by the look of it, which means he won't probably become an Auror, especially with that mutual loathing between him and the ministry.

I predict Harry either dies or is hideously wounded in his battle to defeat Voldie next book. Even if the next book is the last...It's not inconcievable that JK might have been saying seven all along so she could throw a curve-ball or something, after all, it no longer has to be to the end of school...
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
Hogwarts, yes or no?
« Reply #25 on: 17 Jul 2005, 17:08 »

It's possible that Harry WILL return to Hogwarts, and just as posisble he WON'T return at all. On the one hand, his huge bank account and the fact that he now owns 12 Grimmauld Place means he need never return to school, and can bankroll his trip. Plus, he obviously can't search for four Horcruxes while going to classes On the other hand, he may need to revive Dumbledore's Army, and the best place to do that would be at the school. As we saw in The Cave, Potter can't do it alone.

It's possible that Ron and Hermione will go with him on his yearlong trip. Molly would probably let her son go, but how is Hermy going to explain it all to a bunch of dentists?

Lee Zion.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #26 on: 17 Jul 2005, 17:12 »

Actually, I'm thinking it'll be a happy ending to number 7. I could be wrong, of course... but I think I'll be disappointed if it isn't. Or at least, I'd certainly feel quite down for a week.

It's possible that Ron and Hermione will go with him on his yearlong trip. Molly would probably let her son go, but how is Hermy going to explain it all to a bunch of dentists?

I doubt she'll bother, actually...

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #27 on: 17 Jul 2005, 17:39 »

I would still like to meet Hermione's parents properly...I hope that happens in the next book, however briefly. Culture shock is the the best kind of shock!
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #28 on: 17 Jul 2005, 17:41 »

We did, remember? Book 2. They were in Diagon alley with Hermione when Arthur Weasley and Lucius Malfoy busted it up in Flourish and Blott's.

Uhm... I think I'm a bit too good for my own good at this trivia shit...

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #29 on: 17 Jul 2005, 17:49 »

No, I meant properly...I want to see Harry and Ron holing up in their house wierding 'em out properly.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #30 on: 17 Jul 2005, 18:02 »

Considering that they probably had a pretty freaky parenting experience with a poweful junior witch in the house (things flying around, exploding, etc) coupled by a flotilla of owls arriving one summer and explaining that their daughter had a place at a school for magic, coupled with meeting the Weasley's the following summer... Something tells me that encountering Ron and Harry, who're pretty normal next to people like Hagrid, Tonks and Arthur Weasley, and whom they've already met, really wouldn't phase them as much as you think.

Patatat

« Reply #31 on: 17 Jul 2005, 18:31 »

so for anyone that has finished reading the book...

i was at work for the midnight release... but my parents, being as awesome as they are, bought me a copy at midnight and dropped it off for me. ^_^ so yay for that.

SPOILERS BEGIN NOW (added by Clara)

i'm really sad that she killed dumbledore. i actually cried.

all in all, i think i liked this one best so far.... slightly better than gof i think... but i didn't feel that way until the last thrid of the book.

/geek

You space fucking spoilers a little farther than that

Jesus fuckin' christ I just wanted to know a little about the book.

I tried to scroll down and there it fuckin' was in my face.

Thanks for ruinng the book for me.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #32 on: 17 Jul 2005, 18:39 »

See the thread title?

With the words 'WITH SPOILERS'?

See the OTHER Harry Potter thread?

With no 'WITH SPOILERS'?

WHICH THREAD DOES THAT INDICATE ONE SHOULD HAVE GONE TO TO DISCUSS THE BOOK AND NOT GET SPOILERS?

*beats you with the stupid stick*

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #33 on: 17 Jul 2005, 18:41 »

Yeah - seriously dude, don't be rude and obnoxious to someone just because you've fallen victim to your own foolish behaviour.

Patatat

« Reply #34 on: 17 Jul 2005, 20:32 »

Go play with your ass.

I am sorry I missed the thread, because its at the bottom of the fuckin' page.

Mrs. Firefly

« Reply #35 on: 17 Jul 2005, 20:42 »

You know, it was really kind of obvious right off the bat that Dumbledore was going to die. All of a sudden, he's popping up everywhere in the book, as opposed to OoTP where he all he did was show up every once in a while.

But jeez, it still hasn't really sunken in that he's not going to be in the last book. (Unless he comes back as an Inferi. Wouldn't THAT be interesting?)

And Snape. Man, I liked Snape. When I read 'Spinner's End', I had to convince myself that he was just acting along. (Also, whatever happened to Pettigrew locked up in the closet? I feel we haven't seen the last of him. He still has that 'debt' to repay to Harry, after all.) But now, I really don't know what to think.

AND I AM SO PISSED THAT PERCY DIDN'T DIE.

DIE, PERCY, DIE.

Also, didn't Rowling say that the HBP was a new character? LIES. Or mabye she was telling the truth and it's just someone DISGUISED as Snape?

Also also, what was Dumbledore's brother's name? Aberforth? I hope he turns up. (Or is he dead? I don't remember.)

InsideOut

« Reply #36 on: 17 Jul 2005, 20:55 »

A few points.  

-  I don't think snape IS evil.  I think instead of begging for his life, Dumbledore was begging for Snape to kill him, instead of revealing which side he really is on, or forcing Malfoy to become a murderer.  Dumbledore would never beg for his life..even Harry saw that.  Dumbledore was sacrificing himself to save Malfoy and to allow Snape to carry on his charade.  Besides, if snape hadn't killed Dumbeldore, he would have died too, thanks to the Vow.  Think, now Voldie will NEVER doubt snape again.  He's the perfect spy, its just that noone knows it except Dumbledore.

-  I'm glad about H+G, but I felt it was extremely cliched to do the whole "noble breakup" thing.  I, too, immediately thought of Spiderman.  Also, it doesn't make sense for them to break up, the whole freaking school, Snape and Malfoy included, know that they were dating...its not like Vold wouldn't find out how much they like each other.

-  Dumbledore isn't gone.  He should, theoretically, be able to talk to harry out of his portrait, just like every other headmaster of hogwarts.  That is, unless Rowling explains in the next book why that isn't the case.

-  If school happens next book, Hagrid is totally going to be head of Gryffendor.

-  I'm thinking the real necklace was in Regulus's hands at some point, and is currently probably hidden in Harry's new house.

Edit:  Oh, and I think it WAS aberforth, and no, as far as we know he isn't dead.  Moody just said he disappeared after the last war.

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
Who is Snape, really?
« Reply #37 on: 17 Jul 2005, 21:10 »

>>I don't think snape IS evil. I think instead of begging for his life, Dumbledore was begging for Snape to kill him, instead of revealing which side he really is on, or forcing Malfoy to become a murderer. Dumbledore would never beg for his life..even Harry saw that. Dumbledore was sacrificing himself to save Malfoy and to allow Snape to carry on his charade. Besides, if snape hadn't killed Dumbeldore, he would have died too, thanks to the Vow. Think, now Voldie will NEVER doubt snape again. He's the perfect spy, its just that noone knows it except Dumbledore.<<

There is definitely something going on with Snape. yes, he definitely killed Dumbledore. But during the final battle, he had an opportunity to take out a whole bunch of other people as well. He only Stupefied Flitwick rather than kill him outright. A true supporter of Voldemort, once he reveals himself, would not hesitate.

BUT!

BUT! BUT BUT!

He takes pride in what he's done! He haughtily and arrogantly taunts Harry over it in the end! A truly good man would not do that, either.

Maybe he's still on Dumbledore's side; maybe he's a true Death Eater. Either way, he's a dead man.

Lee Zion.

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #38 on: 17 Jul 2005, 22:01 »

Quote from: Patatat

You space fucking spoilers a little farther than that

Jesus fuckin' christ I just wanted to know a little about the book.

I tried to scroll down and there it fuckin' was in my face.

Thanks for ruinng the book for me.

wow... you didn't have to leap down my throat about it. it's not my fault you didn't read the warning before clicking on the thread. let's try to be civil with each other, okay? no need to swear so much.

anyway, back on topic....

even if he doesn't go back to hogwarts and he goes off and kills voldemort... i would think the ministry would let him be an auror anyway even though they don't exactly get along. killing the most powerful dark wizard that has tormented the wizarding world for years.... sounds like enough qualification to me.

a lot of people are saying that they think that dumbledore isn't really dead. the more i think about it, the more i disagree. i really think he's dead. same with sirius. i could be wrong of course, but i think that bringing either of them back would be a cop-out on rowling's part.

deus ex machina that seems to have been forgotten in this discussion - the ford anglia showing up in the forest to rescue harry and ron from aragog's descendants. i know i groaned aloud when i saw this in the theatres.... by the way i didn't start reading the books until after the third movie came out.

Mrs. Firefly

« Reply #39 on: 17 Jul 2005, 22:32 »

a lot of people are saying that they think that dumbledore isn't really dead. the more i think about it, the more i disagree. i really think he's dead. same with sirius. i could be wrong of course, but i think that bringing either of them back would be a cop-out on rowling's part.

I agree. Like others said, Harry's still got the picture of Dumbledore, so he's not COMPLETELY gone. It'd be stupid to bring him back.

This might just be my creepy, dramatic tendencies taking over, but I think it'd be really REALLY interesting if Voldermort brought Dumbledore's body back as an Inferi.

Because a zombie Dumbledore would be COMPLETELY RAD. I'd let him eat MY brain.

patch

« Reply #40 on: 18 Jul 2005, 00:42 »

i think what is interesting is that voldemort and snape were so similar.
what is the deal there, i wonder?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #41 on: 18 Jul 2005, 02:10 »

Of course, Dumbledore could very well come back as a ghost...he's an unavenged murder victim after all. And teeeeeribly powerful.

moley

• Plantmonster
    • http://www.moley3d.be
« Reply #42 on: 18 Jul 2005, 03:39 »

Just finished it. Awesomeness. Yes, lots of lovey dovey in this book. Snogging is just the british term for making out. It was horribly clear that Dumbledore would die in this book as you are reading it, all those references to Dumbledore becoming older and slower, and his what appeared to be half-dead hand all were shouting DUMBLEDORE DIES AT THE END. No Dumbledore nor Sirius will come back. Dumbledore wont be an Inferi. It does all end happily, I saw an interview where J.K told us that she has written the final chapter of the final book already and that it basically tells us what happens to the three main characters after they become fully fledged wizards.

Horcruxes.Horcruxes.Horcruxes.Horcruxes. I had a thought that Harry himself might be the final Horcrux and that he might have to extract Voldemort's soul from inside himself somehow. But after thinking about it some more it seems very unlikely. I am also looking forward as to how J.K explains Harry and Co. being able to find the final four Horcruxes in the space of a year when it took Dumbledore himself a good 6 years to find two (one of which being a fake).

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #43 on: 18 Jul 2005, 04:09 »

deus ex machina that seems to have been forgotten in this discussion - the ford anglia showing up in the forest to rescue harry and ron from aragog's descendants.

Oh yeah, kinda forgot about that.

Okay, make that MOSTLY doesn't use DEM. I always thought that HP&CoS was the weakest book of the series anyway. I'd order them, at the moment, in descending order:

1: Half-blood prince.
2: Goblet of Fire.
3: Prisoner of Azkaban.
4: Philosopher's Stone.
5: Order of the Phoenix.
6: Chamber of Secrets.

Snogging is just the british term for making out.

Basically, yeah, though I still maintain that it's quite a coarse term. In fact, it's been a long time since I last heard anybody use it.

Of course, Dumbledore could very well come back as a ghost...he's an unavenged murder victim after all. And teeeeeribly powerful.
My reading of ghosts in the Harry Potter world was that they were the ones who were too afraid to pass over into the afterlife, rather than having any kind of noble unfinished busioness thing going on.

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #44 on: 18 Jul 2005, 05:45 »

Dumbledore isn't coming back.  What Rowling did was take away the safety net for Harry and the readers.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but there was the thought was always in the back of my head that nothing terrible would happen to the kids with Albus there.  He was like the bedsheet protecting us from the monsters in the closet.  

With him gone, I'm finally starting to feel a sense of doom.

I really hope that Snape isn't on Voldemort's side, but at the same time, I don't really care.  The fact remains that he murdered him, tortured Harry, and escaped into the night with a heap of death-eaters.

By the way, did anyone else find Greyback the werewolf as terrifying as I did?

Aphi

« Reply #45 on: 18 Jul 2005, 06:36 »

Absolutely terrifying.

Oh, and the thing that really scared me was when they were in the cave, and---and Dumbledore was afraid.

And, of course, fear just humanized him all too much.

normz

« Reply #46 on: 18 Jul 2005, 06:43 »

Yeah I agree with you Aphi .... the cave scene was horrible ...... I could totally feel Harry's pain at seeing his mentor like that and at the same time I saw Dumbledore as weak and human and no longer this untouchable figure of all that was good :(

Aphi

« Reply #47 on: 18 Jul 2005, 06:48 »

=snorts=

Oh. I opened my book to a random page.

"There's no need to call me sir, Professor."

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #48 on: 18 Jul 2005, 07:25 »

Yeah, that bit was pretty cool.

As was "have some purkey, Or a little tooding... I mean..."

Aphi

« Reply #49 on: 18 Jul 2005, 07:27 »

^^
Loved that.

Hey, for anyone who's interested in the fourth movie, a trailer's been released...

GobletOfFire(dot) com.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up