THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: harry potter and the half blood prince - WITH SPOILERS  (Read 78414 times)

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
Lots of catching up to do...
« Reply #150 on: 07 Aug 2005, 12:59 »

>>This randomly just popped into my head as my favorite harry potter moment of all time.
At the end of one of hte chapters in TOTP whenever dumbelldore escapes from the minestry and one of the paintings of the former headmasters goes
"You know...i dont agree with albus on much. BUt you gotta admit he's got style."
The only part of the series that actually made me crack up.<<

There were several that made me laugh out loud. the Ton-Tongue Toffee in the fourth book (and the entire scene that led up to it) and the whole bit with the rogue fireworks in the fifth book stood out. When I read that, i said out loud, "Fred and George have outdone themselves."

>>Hmmm...and I wonder about Grindelwald? Is he /dead/? Aside from a passing mention on a chocolate frog card, it never said what became of him after he was 'defeated'.<<

What I enjoyed about that bit in the first book is that Dumbledore defeats an evil wizard with a German name in 1945. Rowling implies, without saying outright, that British wizards were working side-by-side with the Allies, in secret, defeating the evil wizards who aligned themselves with the Axis.
As to whether Grindelwald is truly dead, my guess is what happened is Grindelwald was defeated 50 years ago (in Harry Potter time) and the young Voldemort began his rise to power 50 years ago. So Voldy sought out the remnants of Grindelwad's army in his rise to power.

>>Oh, I read the book; my parents sent it up a couple of days after it came out. I was pretty sad that Dumbledore died, and I don't quite see the previously discussed Obi-Wan connection since there's a major difference: Obi-Wan promised that it would make him stronger, while Dumbledore merely pleaded for his life.
And Snape is a turd-face.<<

<<Dumbledore did /not/ plead for his life!
Okay, so all the evidence points at it, but I just don't think he would, after all that preaching he did.>>

There is an excellent Web site called DumbledoreIsNotDead.com, which goes through all the points raised in The Half-Blood Prince, precept by precept, line by line. It is entirely possible that Dumbledore wasn't pleading for his life — he was instead pleading with Snape to carry out what he had promised to do.

>>i was re-reading chamber of secrets the other day and i got to the ned where dumbledore says that voldemort left some of his powers in harry when he tired to kill him

so i think harry is one of the horcruxes and harry's going to have to nobly sacrifice himself like arnold schwarzeneggar in T2, lowering himself into a cauldron of liquid metal, with ginny and hermione and ron crying on the sidelines, all of them looking buff like linda hamilton.<<

Harry is not the Horcrux, for several reasons already discussed in this forum, chief among them that if Voldemort wanted to assure his own immortality, he would not put part of his own soul into something that was mortal, and especially someone he wanted to kill.

>>Am i the only one who got a reallfeeling of "readying for war" from the final book? Esecially from the final pages. ... I certainly don't see Harry returning to Hogwarts. I got the impression it would be a frodo-style mission across mountains, oceans etc.<<

My guess is Harry will go back to Hogwarts guess is Harry will be the next Dark Arts teacher. With the teachers afraid the school will be closed, and with the parents afraid ofhat will happen to their children with Dumbledore gone, the teachers will seize on The Chosen One, and practically beg Harry to take the position. If anyone can break the longstanding Dark Arts curse, it's Harry.

In his free time, he'll be allowed to Apparate all over the countryside in search of the remaining Horcruxes, Ron and Hermione at his side. Harry won't have to frodo himself over mountains if he can zap himself there instantaneously.

>>Was anyone else a wee bit suprised that Harry tried to use Unforgivable Curses on Snape, by the way?<<

No. He tried Crucio on Bellatrix LeStrange in the previous book, and that was truly surprising.
"If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me." (Genesis 47:29 KJV)

Mnementh

harry potter and the half blood prince - WITH SPOILERS
« Reply #151 on: 10 Aug 2005, 11:51 »

Cut it out with the ">>", it makes your post absolutely unreadable.

I've got another chapter to go, but my reflections on the book so far.  Good, but it moved through the year a lot faster than the others, it didn't seem as well paced, and I just didn't immerse myself in it like the rest.

The Ginny-Harry thing was kind of out of nowhere, like she had decided to put Hermoine-Ron together and then realized she'd no available love interest for Harry.  Still, that was probably the part of the book that (sadly) interested me the most, it by far was more interesting then the overall plot.  Plus, well, I've got to root for the redhead :-).

The Snape thing seemed like a cop out too.  I know they're children's books, but that seems overly simplistic.  Why have him turn after all this time, and why would Dumbledore give him the Dark Arts position, which he knows is hexed so that no one can hold it for more than a year for whatever reason.  I feel like their has to be a feint within a feint within a feint here, and that there is something more going on with Snape.

The book could have benefited from another six months to a year of gestation.  Also, there are typos that slipped past the editor!

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #152 on: 10 Aug 2005, 16:43 »

There are more and more typos in new books these days.  Editing and proof-reading are dying arts.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #153 on: 10 Aug 2005, 18:44 »

Quote from: Mnementh
(LeeZion) Cut it out with the ">>", it makes your post absolutely unreadable.

Seconded. I KNOW you know how to use quote tags dude, because you just used colour tags. Make your posts easier to read, please.

Anyway the purpose of posting on this thread in the first place was to actuall draw your attention to Urban Dictionary's entry for "Ronald Weasley"y

'tis genuinely bizarre. Entertaining, yet bizarre.

I have not recently re-read the book, so I don've have anything more useful to impart, sadly.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #154 on: 10 Aug 2005, 19:27 »

Quote from: Switchblade
Quote from: Mnementh
(LeeZion) Cut it out with the ">>", it makes your post absolutely unreadable.

Seconded. I KNOW you know how to use quote tags dude, because you just used colour tags. Make your posts easier to read, please.

Yes, I do know how to use the quote things, because someone was kind enough to teach me. I resurrected the >> thing for this post, and this post only, reason being that I couldn't figure out how to do multiple quote boxes from multiple sources.

Henceforth, I'll go back to the quote boxes. If I find myself in a similar situation, next time I'll put in psychedelic colors to distinguish quoted text if it makes you happy. But I swear, putting a >> in does not make text unreadable. How can all you young people put up with a : - ( and a <3 but find a >> beyond the pale?

And now, back to our regularly scheduled discussion of Harry Potter. Apropos of scenes from the book that made me laugh out loud, I just came across another one while rereading OoTP. Fred and George mention that the downside of one of their potions is they've broken out in boils. When Ron says he never saw boils on them, they respond that (1) the boils are not necessarily in a place where people see, and (2) it makes sitting on a broom a pain in the ...
"If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me." (Genesis 47:29 KJV)

Mnementh

« Reply #155 on: 10 Aug 2005, 22:08 »

Harry and Ginny had better be together in the end.

Fucker.  That was weak.

trolley

« Reply #156 on: 11 Aug 2005, 03:38 »

One of my fav lines from OotP was

"Give her hell from us, Peeves."

Borondir

• Furry furrier
    • My Last.Fm
« Reply #157 on: 11 Aug 2005, 19:58 »

Personally, I think Dumbledore really is dead. It's just the sort of thing Rowling would do to truly make the war against Voldemort scary and not so sure.  I also think Snape really is still good, and Dumbledore was pleading for Snape to go ahead and fulfill his promise to Dumbledore.

I am curious, how many people reading the book actually hate Snape?  For me, he's always been one of my favorite characters, and I've noticed a lot of people saying they like his bad goodness.

Wulfen

« Reply #158 on: 12 Aug 2005, 05:06 »

Ive always liked Snape. Hes so ambigous(sp?). Hes got so many sides to him personality-wise and I have to say hes the only thing I liked in the movies.

heretic

« Reply #159 on: 12 Aug 2005, 06:44 »

i like snape, but i hate how harry interacts with him. it's sitcom-type bullshit, i mean, after he saw snape's memory, he should have gone to him with new understanding and talked to him, it's that kind of shit sitcoms do where they avoid the one conversation that could fix the whole situation, the trick is to write in a conflict that doesn't have this type of possible conversation, or some reason they can't have said conversation.

trolley

« Reply #160 on: 12 Aug 2005, 08:07 »

I would argue that the big "sort-everything-out conversation" is as much a convention as the "frustrating-lack-of-sort-everything-out conversation". I think JK has given both enough backstory and history that it's rational for them not to kiss and make up. Even if the original reason for dislike is gone, enough has passed that they can't just make up.

heretic

« Reply #161 on: 12 Aug 2005, 08:23 »

that's what i just said, i didn't mean the make-everything-better conversation is bad, i meant when it is obvious what to say and they just don't.
but that wrap up conversaion is pretty annoying too.
like i've said before, she's a good storyteller, shitty writer

Mnementh

« Reply #162 on: 12 Aug 2005, 11:21 »

Image credit Yuko "Aido" Ota

Well, Alan Rickman is perfect as snape.  I think the sitcom-type BS is mostly on Snape's end, he hated Harry's father.

heretic

« Reply #163 on: 12 Aug 2005, 11:33 »

with good cause, remember how harry's father treated him? after harry saw that he could have gone to snape and said "now i understand why you hated my father, he was a bully and treated you terribly, but i'm not my father, i'm not like him." and the healing could begin. personally, i don't like harry. not much at all. i read the book smore for the world JK created, not the characters or the good Vs. Evil conflict.

deborah

« Reply #164 on: 15 Aug 2005, 10:23 »

i think you're oversimplifying the conflict between harry and professor snape.  on snape's end, he hates harry because of the crap harry's father and friends did to him, which is ridiculous, because harry's the kid.  plus snape obviously has some evil in him, to have joined the death eaters in earnest initially.  
then there's harry, who has this adult, this professor, who has been spitefully mean to him without cause for four plus years before harry finds out what his father did to snape, and even if harry was inclined to mend the fences, snape was so busy goading sirius into doing something stupid (like going to the ministry of magic and getting killed) that it wouldn't surprise me a bit if harry blamed him for his godfather's death.
also, book five's version of harry is, i think, a relatively truthful representation of what a teenager going through puberty is like.  there's no rhyme or reason to the emotional and physical changes; harry's acting like a typical irrational snot-nosed teenager.
i found it a little unbelievable that harry would have settled down the way he did in book six - for the most part, he was acting in a much more mature and adult fashion, especially in comparison to book five.
and now that snape has killed dumbledore and fled without any explanation, there doesn't seem to be any reason for harry to think about reconciling with him.  after all, snape has been associated with those responsible for his parents' murders, and has now committed murder himself.
if i were harry, i'd probably unconditionally loathe professor snape too.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up