THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 22 Apr 2024, 23:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: All about EVE  (Read 54147 times)

almost thursday

All about EVE
« Reply #50 on: 21 Jan 2006, 19:41 »

oh man i wish i had the money to play this, it sounds wonderful.

Aram

All about EVE
« Reply #51 on: 21 Jan 2006, 23:02 »

Oh, it is, man. I need to get this game so bad.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
All about EVE
« Reply #52 on: 22 Jan 2006, 03:51 »

It doesn't look like the download from the site comes with the 14 day trial, but after a bit of digging I see you have to go here: https://secure.eve-online.com/ft/?sk=GHELL to get it. It doesn't seem well advertised, but it's there.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
All about EVE
« Reply #53 on: 22 Jan 2006, 04:20 »

well, eve-radio.com added a new feature to their site less than ten hours ago - a blog feature.

Now, I already have a blog, but I've created one there as well.

Why? Because I'm a shameless slave to RP. I'm RPing the career of my character in the form of a mission log.

Eve-radio's a good site, too. A good way to relieve yourself of the monotony of the in-game music.

http://www.eve-radio.com/forums/journal.php?do=showjournal&j=6#e7

Only problem is you have to register with the site in order to access it. if you play EVE, however, I suggest that you do.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
All about EVE
« Reply #54 on: 23 Jan 2006, 17:04 »

i'm getting into this right now.  Switchblade, how much do your starting skills and attributes matter?  i've gathered that mining and industry (the things i'm interested in) are dependent upon Intelligence and Memory, but the dude that i am playing at the moment is mainly geared for the running of the ship.  

will that matter much if i mean to become a miner/trader?  i mean, how hard will it be for me to buy new skills and train them up?  so far i've earned about 75k and bought a Bantam (i'm Caldarian, started at the State War Academy in The Forge system, currently mining in Jita) should i create a new character that is more Intelligence & Memory oriented, or does it not matter all that much once you get going?

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
All about EVE
« Reply #55 on: 24 Jan 2006, 04:06 »

You can train up your attributes by training skills (ie. instant recall for memory)

If I can get game time cards here in Perth I am so gonna continue, else I'm going to have to seriously consider it.

Also: I swear that the blues is the greatest soundtrack to a space game ever.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
All about EVE
« Reply #56 on: 24 Jan 2006, 09:00 »

Quote from: est
i'm getting into this right now.  Switchblade, how much do your starting skills and attributes matter?  i've gathered that mining and industry (the things i'm interested in) are dependent upon Intelligence and Memory, but the dude that i am playing at the moment is mainly geared for the running of the ship.  

will that matter much if i mean to become a miner/trader?  i mean, how hard will it be for me to buy new skills and train them up?  so far i've earned about 75k and bought a Bantam (i'm Caldarian, started at the State War Academy in The Forge system, currently mining in Jita) should i create a new character that is more Intelligence & Memory oriented, or does it not matter all that much once you get going?

Your basic attributes directly affect how fast your skills train - a high intelligence will affect intelligence-based skills, that much you've figured out.

the lovely thing about EVE skill training is that getting a new skill is as simple as having the money to afford the book, and the patience to wait for it.

Skill books cost somewhere between 18,000 credits and a few million, depending upon the level of the skill to be trained and various other factors. They aren't created by players, but appear in-game.

My advice to you is to find the nearest School of Applied knowledge. If memory serves, there isn't one in Jita, but there's one in Isanamo (four jumps from where you are) one in Todaki, and one in Vuorassi that I can remember. SoAKs sell skill books cheaper than other places.

One fantastic set of skills to look into is the "learning" set. This consists of two skill books per attribute, and one general skill. Each attribute-specific skill raises your attributes by one point per level (to an obvious maximum of ten extra points) and the "learning" skill improves all your attributes by 2% per level, to an extra 10% to each attribute at level 5. combine this with stat-boosting implants, and you can boost any attribute score you care to name by anything up to about 16.4 points - which has a knock-on effect to your learning speed.

your attribute abilities have no actual in-game effect beyond skill training however - your perception doesn't affect your combat skills, nor does your intelligence affect the yield of your mining lasers. all your attributes do is allow you to learn faster.

In short, no, your attributes as a miner won't hold you back as a fighter, or anything else, beyond adding an extra stretch of time (anywhere between a few minutes and a few days, depending on the skill rank and level) to your training times. This isn't really a handicap at lower-level skills, but at higher levels, the time spent boosting your attributes will translate into weeks of saved time.

If I were you, I'd grab three ranks in each of the learning skills after getting yourself to about level 3 in caldari frigates. That'll see you through until you're ready to move into your first battleship or assault frigate. After you've achieved that, it's then a good idea to finish training all the learning skills.

Please allow me to suggest a career path:

train Learning, Analytical mind and Instant recall to level 3
train Caldari Frigates to level 4.
Train Caldari Cruisers to level 1 and purchase an Osprey (be warned, the Osprey will be expensive. Contact me under the name of "Stitcher" if you need some financial support)
Train Mining to level 4
Buy three Mining laser 2s and fit them to the osprey
Train Caldari Cruisers to level 4.

What you now have is the best mining cruiser in the game, and it's well kitted out. That Osprey hauls in ore with three mining lasers, and your levels in Caldari Cruiser boost the yield of each laser by 40% be warned that it's not a combat vessel, so you'll probably want to keep a combat-focused vessel like a Merlin on standby for dealing with any rats that show up while you're mining.

Train Refining to level 4 (vital for getting your money's worth out of the ore you mine)
Train Gallente frigates to level 3, and then train Gallente industrial to level 5.

This will take a long time, but it'll be well worth it, because when you hit Gallente industrials level 5, you'll be capable of flying the best tech 1 industrial haulers in the game (namely Iteron Mark Vs)

From there, you're basically set up to while away some time mining asteroid belts, dropping the ore thus retrieved into a jettisoned cargo container, and coming back to retrieve it in your Iteron, later on.

From there, I'd advise you to find out the skills needed for you to use cargo expanders, shield boosters, armour repairers, shield hardeners, armour hardeners, and afterburners, in that order, and train them.

Finally, take a look at mining barges on the market, and see what skills you need in order to be able to fly them. Train those. Check to see if you have the skills to be able to use strip mining modules, too, and train those. That done, work towards acquiring a mining barge. Try to go straight for the top, if you can, and buy a Covetor.

Watch as the cash flows in.

If you really want to become a good miner however, mate, the corp I work for are primarily miners, and we have some people who know mining far better than I do. We're called J.I.T. Enterprises. Our bases in that region are in Korama and Oimmo, and you'd find it a lot easier to get the resources together to do what I just suggested as part of a corp.

The only downside is that we're fairly active out in 0.0 space (we're friends of - probably soon to be members of - the Forsaken Empire) so you may want to bear that in mind. If the idea of getting caught up in Alliance politics isn't your idea of fun, then there are plenty of other mining corps out there (such as "Rocks 2  Riches") who do a lot of empire-based mining.

Drop me a line in-game, yeah? if it's possible, I'll try and drop what I'm doing and help out in a mining operation.

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
All about EVE
« Reply #57 on: 24 Jan 2006, 16:15 »

Whee its spreading!

Est, I think that the best advise is to join a corp with a fair few members, and just learn from them. I would invite you to join Production Inc, but as most of my corp is based in europe/US, I think there might be a few time differences.

Also, I have roughly the same makeup for my character, (started with perception 4), and those learning skills do help. However, for such a character you want, i'd say that int and mem are more important. Learning the mining/industrial skills goes way faster with those high.

Ahwell, im off to bed.

*edit* Est, what's your ingame name?
Quote from: Dr. Sidney Freeman
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
All about EVE
« Reply #58 on: 24 Jan 2006, 19:26 »

my current in-game name is "Darnan", but the more i think about it the more i'm starting to believe that remaking my character would be a good idea.  basically i am a Caldarian and i started out at an Academy of War and have some pretty lame stats.  at the moment i've only got about $60k and a Bantam, which i am guessing i could pass on to my new character somehow, right?  i've only really been playing for a couple of days, so i'm not going to lose much in the way of skill research time.

if i do end up creating a new character i'll probably be named "Est (something)".  perhaps "Est Xplosif" or perhaps i'll expand the "Est" to "Estarriol".  my original "est" name was "Estarriol Sunforge", which i like.  however, "Sunforge" is a typically MMORPG name, being a compound "noun-verb" surname, so perhaps it'll be something else.  (an Amarrian named "Cardinal Biggles" ?  hmmm ...)

so yeah, give Darnan an Evemail and i'll add you to friends or whatever the hell Eve has, and i'll update whoever i'm in contact with if/when i change my player name.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
All about EVE
« Reply #59 on: 25 Jan 2006, 04:57 »

Well, if you're going to restart, you've chosen a good time to do it.

Take my advice and start at the School of Applied Knowledge this time. Try using your Charisma as a points well to supply your other stats (it's really only important when dealing with NPCs)

My present stats:

Name:                    Stitcher   
Corporation:          J.I.T. Enterprises   
Total Cash:           11,397,075 ISK   
Total skill points:   1,433,697   

Intelligence   10
Perception   13
Charisma   6
Willpower   7
Memory          13

That's after playing for about three months, with about a week in the middle where I couldn't access the game and wasn't training skills. I'm on a low swoop at the moment for money - I had thirty-six million a few months ago.

you really will win more ISK by joining a corp than by trying to go solo - and the thing is that the more ISK you have, the better the resources you have, so the faster you earn money.

Like I say, look me up in-game, and I'll be glad to help you out. You and I operate within four or five systems of each other.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
All about EVE
« Reply #60 on: 25 Jan 2006, 05:08 »

Currently I'm going by 'Toolivus' but I will probably start afresh and with renewed intention as 'McTaggart' or even 'Toolivus McTaggart' when I inevitably decide to subscribe.

For now I'm still poking things and seeing how they work and what sort of character I want. I'm thinking long range lasers and tanked shields.

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
All about EVE
« Reply #61 on: 25 Jan 2006, 06:09 »

/me adds people to QC folder in buddylist

Oh, my current stats;

Vergo Newman   
Production Inc   
29,766,662 ISK   
390,814   SP

Intelligence   12
Perception   8
Charisma   7
Willpower   8
Memory   14

This is my 2nd character, I had a Verergoca, but it took me the trail account to figure out what I want:)
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
All about EVE
« Reply #62 on: 25 Jan 2006, 15:58 »

Wow, four hundred thousand SP and you already have nearly thirty million?

I predict great wealth in your future...

For now I'm still poking things and seeing how they work and what sort of character I want. I'm thinking long range lasers and tanked shields.

Unfortunately, none of the races make any provision for this. for starters, lasers are medium-range guns, and the only race whose ships provide laser bonuses are the Amarrians, who are famed armour tankers.

The longest-ranged guns are railguns, so you'll be best off playing as the Caldari, who are the "long range guns, missiles and shield tanking" crowd in EVE.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
All about EVE
« Reply #63 on: 25 Jan 2006, 23:41 »

I have started Toolivus McTaggart as the character that I will continue with. I'll add all of you tomorrow but for now I'm off to work (yet still training. Tha's awesome).

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
All about EVE
« Reply #64 on: 29 Jan 2006, 20:14 »

i went on my first few Agent missions the other day.  is there any way to tell how difficult the missions are going to be before you take them?  i took a mission that i thought carried on from a certain one i had just completed, and when i warped out into the area they asked me to there were a billion* ships that pounded me & left me podding it back to a base.  on the bright side, it was one hell of a learning experience.

i've since bought a Merlin and kitted it out with two hybrid turrets + two missile turrets and gone back and kicked their asses, but that's not the point.  i still lost a perfectly good Bantam due to not being able to see anything that told me that this was a much more difficult mission than the last one.

in fact, the (storyline) missions that i've picked up then seem to be of the "set course for something, activate autopilot, go make a cup of tea, come back and dock with the target station" variety.  i've since learned to ask for more details, but that still doesnt' really let you know what you're going to be going up against on the mission.  am i too used to EQ/FFXI/WoW-style hand-holding in regards to missions?

so anyway, i'm flying about in a Merlin now.  just bought another Bantam & am training my Frigates skill to 4 as we speak (3D 16H etc etc ...) in preparation for learning how to fly Cruisers.  will be doing a few more missions then going back to mining, or perhaps alternating between the two so that i don't get the Space Madness.

* ok, so like maybe 5 or 6.  whatever.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
All about EVE
« Reply #65 on: 30 Jan 2006, 00:51 »

Bantams are primarily mining vessels, which is probably why you got your tail handed to you.

Agents are pretty simple, really - level 1 missions can be dealt with in frigates, though some will be too hard for the lower-end frigates. a destroyer can handle any level 1 mission the game throws at you.

Level 2 missions are the next rung up the ladder - a cruiser will handle them okay, a battlecruiser will pwn.

Level 3 missions are designed for solo battleships, though a battlecruiser can handle them with the right gear

level 4 missions are designed to be a challenge for experienced battleship players. usually they're played in "extravaganza" format, which is where you take some mates along.

tech 2 assault frigates can handle level 3 missions, and heavy assault cruisers should handle level 4 missions.

Some advice, mate, it's actually more worth your while to work in order of gun size than ship size, after a certain point. Get yourself to about level 4 on all the cruiser-based skills, get yourself an Osprey and perhaps a battlecruiser, and then drop back down to frigate and destroyer scale: work on tech 2 small railguns, tech 2 light missiles, and all the ships that use them (frigates, destroyers, assault frigates, interceptors, interdictors and covert ops vessels) before you move on to mastering cruisers (anbd battlecruisers, heavy assault cruisers and command ships). before finally moving on to battleships. I'd also advise getting together the skills to fly a mining barge between getting those tech 2 frigates and improving your cruiser skills.

Why does this work better? SImply put, though small railguns still won't out-damage a large railgun, they're far more accurate, and with the right skills on board, in the right ship, you can routinely break 100 damage with them, at a nice high rate of fire. Assault frigs have a deserved reputation at the moment based purely on the fact that they're really quite mighty, being quite able to bring down a battleship, in the right conditions.

My corp's been detouring from it's usual path to get itself into assault frigs at the moment. I've still got about 20 days to go, myself, but we tested one of the director's Enyos versus my Ferox the other day, and discovered that heavy missiles were just bouncing off for about 3 points of damage each. (and my ferox setup churns out five such missiles a round). given that the enyo's armour repairer was repairing about that much damage per round, I just wasn't getting past her tank.

On the other hand, I did manage to shield tank her to a standstill - my cap outlasted hers, with my shields holding steady at about 65% and my cap at about 50%.

Still they're tough little bastards are assault frigates...

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
All about EVE
« Reply #66 on: 30 Jan 2006, 01:13 »

i'm actually thinking about going for a halfway option at the moment and going to a Destroyer before Cruisers.  i'm the kind of person who likes to take their time and develop all my skills before moving on to the next jump, so going up that one step to a Destroyer seems more logical to me (plus, the name is cool, c'mon DESTROYER)

but yeah, i'm still debating starting a new character too.  we'll see what happens!

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
All about EVE
« Reply #67 on: 30 Jan 2006, 02:40 »

Destroyers make lvl1 missions very easy, something to do with a buttload of guns:)

I'd get one asap, destroyers have:

-loads of guns, which will help against anything you face in a lvl1 mission
-a sizeable cargohold, which will allow you to do better hauling (though indys are even better...) and mining.
-Destroyers are fun to fly. Sometimes me and a buddy just get our destroyers, and go hunt rats in belts, way fun.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
All about EVE
« Reply #68 on: 30 Jan 2006, 04:14 »

Destroyers are awesome, and I highly advise getting one. the tech 2 versions, interdictors, are like super-fast interceptors with uber guns and assault frigate-grade shields/armour.

be warned, while a destroyer will completely own tech 1 frigates, it will die painfully against a cruiser. interdictors

like I say, it's probably in your best interests now to stick with the character you've got. it's not your stats that count, it's your skills.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
All about EVE
« Reply #69 on: 31 Jan 2006, 03:30 »

I've got this bad habit with all rpgs. I make a character, play, make another character, play etc. So I've restarted as McTaggart (Gallente, because Gallente space looks better and I just like their society better (why you'll never see me playing a Caldari)). By the time this downtime's over I'll be able to fly my Incursus.

Now I just need to sort out how I can pay efficiently using paypal and I'll be set.

One thing that did dissapoint me was the difficulty involved in flying my noob ship into the sun.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
All about EVE
« Reply #70 on: 31 Jan 2006, 07:54 »

You mean the fact that the closest you can warp to a star is a few hundred thousand kilometres?

And the latest big news from EVE?

The Five and The Forsaken Empire and now friendly, PA and NBSI are pissed off at them both, and poor little JIT Enterprises is caught in the crossfire and doesn't really know what to do. - NBSI's even shooting JIT members up, despite our not being members of the Forsaken Empire!

It's a bad time to go into 0.0 for me or any one of my corp because we don't know who's friendly, who isn't, and wether ANYBODY up there is going to shoot us or hug us.

Looks like my EVE character has suffered the ancient chinese curse of living in interesting times.

almost thursday

All about EVE
« Reply #71 on: 31 Jan 2006, 08:40 »

that's IT. when i pay off this stupid holiday the first thing i'm doing is getting invovled with this game. god damn all of you for making it sound so interesting.

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
All about EVE
« Reply #72 on: 31 Jan 2006, 16:42 »

YAY! Let the propaganda machines keep on rolling!

Anyway... To the news... WOW! Looks like BoB is going to have some difficult times...

Lets see.... PI = UCC, UCC is allied to IRON. IRON is...

Nevermind, Ill see how stuck ill get in this nice change in political course

RedLeather

All about EVE
« Reply #73 on: 01 Feb 2006, 16:30 »

Is being a Combat person viable in EVE, or is it all about Mining? Er, if it is viable, could someone recommend a Skill-Path? By IM or post...doesn't matter, i guess, and as soon as my normal gaming computer gets fixed i'm all over this game!

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
All about EVE
« Reply #74 on: 01 Feb 2006, 18:06 »

EVE is far more combat-oriented than anything else - in fact, it's probably one of the most, if not the most, PvP-oriented MMORPGs. Unfortunately, PvP combat is rarely profitable.

Being a good fighter is basically a case of getting the right skills together, and being able to afford the ships to go with it.

By far the easiest EVE race for PvP combat is the Caldari - they're the ones who become ready for war first.

To become a Caldari PvPer, simply train yourself into tech 1 cruisers, buy a Caracal, and maximise your heavy missile skills. You are now ready to fight. Then train Engineering skills, railgun and gunnery skills, and then, once that's done, get out there and gank. Subsequently work towards the tech 2 version of the Caracal, the Cerberus, and pwn even harder.

Some good Caldari PvP setups:

Kestrel: equip a kestrel with four light missile launchers, an afterburner, warp scrambler, stasis webifier, and targetting disruptor. Fit as many lowslots as possible with capacitor power relays. This is a "tackler" and it's a vital role in large fleet actions - you stop enemies from escaping, and slow them down so that your larger friends can hit them more easily and do more damage. very cheap to replace.

Caracal - Equip with five heavy missile launchers filled with tech 2 heavy missiles. Also equip with a shield booster, kinetic and thermal shield hardeners, and an afterburner. fill the lowslots with whatever you like. This is something of a glass cannon, but it's also fairly cheap to replace, at about 10 million.

Raven - big guns, lots of cruise missile/torpedo launchers, shield tanking. Very expensive, lots and lots of damage going either way.'nuff said.

Vital skills for a PvPer of any description - Engineering skills, mechanic skills, gunnery skills, missile skills, drone skills, ship command skills, Learning. Of secondary importance: electronic warfare, propulsion jamming, warp core operation, navigation.

Be warned that becoming a good PvPer is a matter of time and money, and you will inevitably have to fall back on mining every now and again in order to fund your life of violence.

One thing - while Caldari get to PvP soonest, they are not necessarily the best at it. The gallente and the Minmatar both require far more time and effort to get to work properly as PvPers, but the result when they're ready for action is best summed up as "ZOMG!"

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
All about EVE
« Reply #75 on: 01 Feb 2006, 18:23 »

Does close range work for pvp or would you just get shredded before you got to your target?

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
All about EVE
« Reply #76 on: 02 Feb 2006, 01:17 »

close-range combat is not only viable, it's incredibly popular. it just takes some skill to pull off.

four Gallente combat setups that are rightly feared throughout the known universe:

The "Blasterax" - a thorax-class cruiser sporting a 10MN microwarpdrive, blasters, armour hardeners, an armour repairer, and heavy combat drones. Use the microwarpdrive to get right up close and personal, hug the enemy ship, and unload an unholy degree of high-powered blaster fire into his hull at close range, while the drones shred him.

The "Blasterthron" - as above, but using a Megathron battleship

The "Suicide Deimos" - as above, but using a Deimos class heavy assault cruiser that's tanking so hard that entire fleets-worth of firepower bounce off. often used as a distraction in large fleet engagements - you'll probably lose the deimos, but while the enemy fleet's distracted firing at it, your guys can fire without being fire upon, and if they ignore it, then they've got a very powerful, very damaging ship punching straight into their ranks where it can do the most damage.

The "Vampire Dominix" - a Dominix class battleship that uses heavy nosferatu energy vampires to fuel it's armour tank while it's drones and blasters mince whatever it's up against.

Blaster-and-drone close range combat is not only viable, it's not only fun, it's also the most damaging - blasters have the highest damage ratio of any of the guns in the game, but also the shortest range, and the Gallente excel at blaster warfare because they armour tank, which isn't affected severely by using a microwarp drive. In fact, Thorax and Deimos cruisers reduce the penalty to their max capacitor for mounting a Microwarpdrive by 5% of the maximum cap per level - which means that a pilot with level 5 in Gallente cruisers can mount an MWD without affecting his cap in the slightest, and of course, the Gallente combat philosophy revolves around armour tanking anyway, which means that the reduction in shield HP for mounting an MWD has little effect on them.

Caldari especially hate blaster gallenteans, because a blaster-equipped ship gets right inside their gun range, making it very difficult for them to do any damage except with missiles.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
All about EVE
« Reply #77 on: 02 Feb 2006, 22:12 »

Awesome, I was thinking that the Thorax looked like a ship I could see myself doing pretty well in.
So much to learn.

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
All about EVE
« Reply #78 on: 03 Feb 2006, 16:12 »

Meh, everyone and his mother fly's a thorax. To me it depends on what you whish to become. A hybrid master, go thorax and then Megathron, if you want to master the arts of droid warfare, get a Vexor. You also might consider the Exequror. You dont see many of them flying, beeing overshadowed by the Thorax and Vexor, but if you are into courier missions, it has a major advantage, a humongous cargohold (for a cruiser), while still able to defend itself. Also, it looks cool.

Anyways. Im switching corp. Some RL buddies have found a more active corp than what Im in now, and im invited. Yay!

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
All about EVE
« Reply #79 on: 04 Feb 2006, 02:39 »

I've had to come home for my best friend's daughter's christening, so no EVE for me until Monday evening at the earliest. :(

Oh well, given that we're being caught in the crossfire between PA/NBSI and FE/.5. that's hardly a bad thing.

one week to go for Caldari frigates level 5!

six days after that for Mechanic 5

probably a month after that for assault frigates 5

Then I start working on gunnery skills so I can actually become teh l33t small railgun pwnz0r.

having achieved that goal, I will then move on to Interceptors and covert ops ships

Only then will I move on to becoming teh l33t medium railgun pwnz0r...

RedLeather

All about EVE
« Reply #80 on: 10 Feb 2006, 19:32 »

Hey guys, once again, i'm back from the dead..(And possibly doing thread necromacy, Hah, Hows that for a double Entente!) Anyway, drop me a line, my character name is SeriNerra!

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
All about EVE
« Reply #81 on: 11 Feb 2006, 14:43 »

Hit Caldari Frigates 5 today.

Also scored me a +2 perception implant, and started working on Mechanic level 5, which should be ready in about 8 days and 4 hours.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
All about EVE
« Reply #82 on: 11 Feb 2006, 18:12 »

Nice, I hit Gallente Firgates 4 two days ago and haven't been able to do anything because paypal isn't talking to my fucking bank. *twitch*

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
All about EVE
« Reply #83 on: 12 Feb 2006, 01:45 »

Well, I'm well on my way to my goal. in about eight days or so, I will be hopping into my first Harpy.

After that, the idea is to get together the skills to use tech 2 small railguns, then max out the assault frigates skill, max out the "Small railgun specialization" skill, and then max out gallente frigates, small blaster specialization, Small projectile specialization, Minmatar frigates, small laser specialization, Amarrian frigates, and then get the skills for interceptors. I don't actually intend to fly amarrian assault frigates, but I definitely want to fly the  amarrian interceptors.

That done, I'll work on maxing out my stats and max out Gallente industrials, then get into mining barges, then max out my missile skills and drone skills.

that lot should keep me going for a long time.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
All about EVE
« Reply #84 on: 12 Feb 2006, 03:10 »

my pc decided to go belly-up the other night (motherboard died) so i'm currently out of the game for a bit.  i've installed it on Heather's oc and set myself to learning the 7-day lvl 5 memory skill (Instant Recall?) so that i'm not wasting all that time.

currently researching new parts for an upgrade instead of just replacing the board (my pc is maybe 3 years old, so it's due for one) then i'll be back in the game.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
All about EVE
« Reply #85 on: 12 Feb 2006, 06:13 »

Those learning skills are incredibly useful... and here's a tip: the primary and secondary attributes involved in all of the "learning" skills are Intelligence and Memory. max those two out (with the advanced skills too) plus "Learning", and you'll learn the rest of the learning skills so much faster.

If you want to save time, though, don't bother with the charisma skills until you've got a moment where you're not sure what to train next. they really aren't all that useful, seeing as they only affect NPC interaction in a PvP game...

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
All about EVE
« Reply #86 on: 12 Feb 2006, 19:07 »

Don't the advanced learning skills have the attribute they increase as their primaries?

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
All about EVE
« Reply #87 on: 13 Feb 2006, 14:08 »

nope. Intelligence and Memory, all the way.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
All about EVE
« Reply #88 on: 13 Feb 2006, 15:57 »

to be nitpicky: Memory and Intelligence.  i always thought it was Primary = Intelligence, Secondary = Memory.  however, after reading up a bunch about them i found it was the other way around (hence my training Memory to 5 first).

next up: Eidetic Memory to level 4, then Analytical Mind to 5, then Logic to 4, then learning to 5!

wee!

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
All about EVE
« Reply #89 on: 13 Feb 2006, 16:08 »

Which means your stats are already far beyond mine, even if you take my +2 perception implant into account...

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
All about EVE
« Reply #90 on: 15 Feb 2006, 22:18 »

Okay, paypal is cooperating so I should be online on monday (conveniently also the start of uni).

CaptainRansom

All about EVE
« Reply #91 on: 18 Feb 2006, 00:35 »

Hey - long time lurker, first time poster here. =)

Based on this thread, and with some minor assistance from other websites with reviews, I downloaded and purchased EVE two days ago.

I'm completely and utterly HOOKED on this game.  I've never played anything so open-ended (Two and a half years of FFXI and WoW combined - with a smattering of DAoC, RO, GW thrown in for flavor) in my life... and I'm kinda scared.  I finally got through the tutorial, and now I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.

I'm trying to rig up my ship for mining, but unfortunately the in-game info isn't quite as helpful with its descriptions as I'd like.

I'm Minmatar, got my first Frigate, bought a Mining Laser 1, done a couple missions, and for the most part (due to almost-constant girlfriend agro) been just traveling and leveling skills (Gunnery Rank 1 Level 2, Small Turrent Gunnery level 1 rank 2, Mining Rank 1 level 3, Leadership Rank 1 Level 2, Instant Recall and Learning both at level 1 ((Just found out about these today so I'm working on it ^^)), Mechanic Rank 1 level 2, repair systems rank 1 level 1, Navigation Rank 1 level 2, Minmatar FrigateRank 2 level 4, Spaceship Command Rank 1 level 3).

I don't really know what I want to do in particular right now... mostly just make money I guess.  I'm not super-social in games because of how frequently I end up AFK or talking to my g/f IRL it gets hard to hold conversations online for longer periods of time.  I'm just going for an all-around lone-wolf kinda guy - a little of this, a little of that.

I don't know how "good" it is - but what I love about this game is that the entire POINT isn't worrying about being "good" or being decked out in the uber-gear after grinding for a few months to max level - it's about doing what you want and having fun.

I just wish the tutorial had been a little more detailed on some things (I know, crazy thought).  I don't understand a LOT of the finer points of the game.  

If anyone wants to chat or hang out in-game or something, drop me a line - character's name is Captain Ransom.

Sorry for the long post, it's 3:30am, I'm trying to re-adjust my sleep schedule for a new job (working graveyard shift 10pm-6am now) and I'm really tired. =(

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
All about EVE
« Reply #92 on: 23 Jun 2006, 17:17 »

Can someone send me a 'buddy program' invite?  E-mail: [email protected]

Thanks!

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
All about EVE
« Reply #93 on: 23 Jun 2006, 23:14 »

Done.

Time for an update on my progress, I guess.

For starters, my goals and focus have shifted somewhat during the last few weeks. I've now got a definite image in my head of how I want to do things.

See, a while back I won a "Claw" class Minmatar interceptor on an EVE Radio competition, and decided it'd be better to fly that than sell it.

Meanwhile, I got my hands on a couple of Omen BPCs (for the newbies: a BPC is a BluePrint Copy - it's what allows us industrial types to build things). Now, of all the cruisers in the game, the one that I most like is the Omen, and its tech 2 Heavy Assault Cruiser counterpart the Zealot.

Finally, I now have battleship skills for both the Caldari and Amarr ships, though at present the only battleship I own is a Scorpion. I'm a few days off swapping that for a Raven, though.

so, my ship piloting approach is as follows:

Frigates: Minmatar (Claw Interceptor, Wolf assault frigate), Caldari (Hawk assault frigate)

Incidentally, a recent static game update changed the way the Hawk works. It's now effectively an assault kestrel, using four missile launchers. It's a much more effective ship now, being tougher than the Harpy, with a similar damage output.

Cruisers: Amarr (Omen cruiser, and in about 2 months a Zealot HAC) Caldari (Caracal cruiser)

Battleships: Amarr (Armageddon), Caldari (Raven)

Mining: Retriever (tier 2 mining barge)

Hauling: Presently, I use an Amarr "Bestower". in a couple of months, though, I'll train up Gallente industrials and swap over into an Iteron V.

My skill focus: Right now, I'm putting together the skills to get myself into that Zealot. From there, Iteron Mark V haulers, and from there I want the skills for tech 2 small projectile guns, tech 2 medium lasers, and tech 2 light missiles. After that, I'll be working towards a covetor, and from there, I'll settle down into an industrial role and try to get my hands on some BPOs.

so, I have my course now.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
All about EVE
« Reply #94 on: 26 Jun 2006, 05:38 »

After cruising around in a Vexor with giant armour plates, tiny guns and drones for a while I've take to the odd bit of belt piracy. It's fun, and no-one expects to be beaten by a Catalyst (Gallente destroyer, armour like a wet paper bag, but 8 slots for guns) I don't use the 8 guns though, and the guns I am running are tiny, but I'll drain any frigate's capacitor in about 10 seconds.

if you're interested in the details:
4x 75mm rails (antimatter ammo), 4 small energy vampires
webber,  20km scrambler
2x small repper, 400mm plate.

I'm proud of that setup, too bad it's so slow.

What I'm training for now, is the Omen, then the Zealot, then the Absolution (tech 2 battlecruiser, think pocket battleship although it).

Most of my skills are in ships.

This game is awesome

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
All about EVE
« Reply #95 on: 27 Jun 2006, 07:24 »

Been a while since I posted here.

Not much happened actually, im now a director of the corp, and about a week away from a covvie. Ill actually start making some money :)

Also, hitting naughty ore thiefs in a 0.4 system, within 100ish km from a station results in the sentry guns shooting you... I found out the hard way :)

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
All about EVE
« Reply #96 on: 29 Jun 2006, 06:13 »

Woohoo! Just broke 100 million ISK for the first time ever!

Time to buy a Raven, thinks I.

Currently working on tech 2 light missiles. Should be done in about eight days. After that it's back to my quest for a Zealot, going by way of an Armageddon. and I need to put a month aside for a Covetor, somewhere.

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
All about EVE
« Reply #97 on: 29 Jun 2006, 08:20 »

100m? Oh that... Broke that ages ago :) Yay for lotterys:p

Oh and to make this post be constructive, id say, wait a little longer. You dont want to have a raven and no monies for insurance, equipment and other goodies. I could be in a domi for like, a month now, but well, just not effective enough yet.

Kana

• Plantmonster
All about EVE
« Reply #98 on: 29 Jun 2006, 10:36 »

I haven't bothered to check the site really, but this game sounds a bit like Earth & Beyond... apparently its not bombing out like EA's creation, but I'm wondering how similiar the games are?  I tried E&B demo, then started the real thing and discovered I really didn't care for real-time 1 hour+ transportations and what not.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
All about EVE
« Reply #99 on: 29 Jun 2006, 16:33 »

Already got my Raven. all the modules came out of stuff I already had (four limos and 2 malkuth cruise launchers plus all named shield hardeners, boosters and ECM modules ftw), leaving me with enough left over to insure it.

Admittedly, I now only have 3 million ISK to my name but it feels good to have such a potent engine of death in my personal fleet now. I took it through a level 4 mission and it acquitted itself quite well.

EDIT:

I haven't bothered to check the site really, but this game sounds a bit like Earth & Beyond... apparently its not bombing out like EA's creation, but I'm wondering how similiar the games are? I tried E&B demo, then started the real thing and discovered I really didn't care for real-time 1 hour+ transportations and what not.

Having never played E&B, I can't really compare, but EVE isn't that slow - the ships basically have two speeds, namely impulse and warp. At impulse speeds, you're typically travelling somewhere between 100 and 600 metres per second (and with the right gear and modules, you can rack up several thousand meters per second), and the distances you have to travel are rarely greater than about 100 Km. For larger (interplanetary) distances, the ships warp, usually at three Astronomical Units per second (that's about 1,440 times the speed of light) but some lighter ones move at six AU/s (2,880 times the speed of light) or even 9 AU/s (4,320 times the speed of light). interstellar travel is via artificial stargates.

The game IS true to stellar scale, but the sheer speed of the ships when warping serves to mitigate the huge distances.

typically, in a fast ship, you can be in the next star system within two minutes at most, and a trip of 20 jumps can take anywhere between 10 minutes and an hour (or longer), depending on the ship you're flying for the journey

the only way to truly understand what EVE's like, though, is to try it out. if you're willing to PM me your email adress, I'm quite happy to sign you up for a 14-day free trial under the "buddy" system.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up