THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: All about EVE  (Read 53155 times)

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
Re: All about EVE
« Reply #150 on: 09 Oct 2006, 05:00 »

that's about right, yeah. EVE is very much a two-tiered game in combat - with actual fleets entering the fray, it falls to fleet commanders to come up with not only the overarching strategy, but also the on-the-spot tactics (calling primary and secondary targets, mostly), with individual pilots then deciding which modules to activate in which order to cynch it.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #151 on: 09 Oct 2006, 09:48 »

Man you guys make this sound awesome, I want in. This is exactly what I want right now, especially if there are good battle tactics.
I disdain 'army of one' sort of tactics, lone commando who can kill an army. I want fleet battles with big ships and logistics.

Of course, it's not out for mac... God bless blizzard, all of their software has been hybrid for both operating systems since starcraft, meaning your PC WOW discs would work just fine on my mac.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #152 on: 09 Oct 2006, 10:30 »

This is exactly what I want right now

You do realize that it takes at least 8ish months to become a reasonably good BS pilot? That is, if you dont learn for things like mining, science, logistics, gangleading, social skills etc.

Not wanting to burst your bubble, I say, people always need more tacklers.
Quote from: Dr. Sidney Freeman
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Grawsith

« Reply #153 on: 10 Oct 2006, 01:55 »

Catfish Man, you're totally right. To word my rant differently, it is about fast versus slow strategy. Resources, weapon modification etc. make up the bulk of any good RPG / RTS. An FPS, in contrast, is actually very unmodifiable, because of the speed difference.

In EVE for example, there are miles between you and the enemy. In an FPS (let's say, Half-Life 2) the distance is in feet. EVE gives you the reaction time, the patience and the diligence to carry out your plan. In HL2, you got two seconds before a headcrab starts making sweet sweet love to your eyeballs.

Twitching vs. Cruising. It's as simple as that.
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2006, 01:57 by Grawsith »

nihilist

« Reply #154 on: 10 Oct 2006, 08:28 »

You mean kilometres.  The rest of the world uses a sane measurement system.

Also: you can do some seriously in-your-face fighting; if you like to web/NOS people, fly up their ass, and hammer them from a few hundred metres away.  All about your style, and what works for you.

Me, I sit in a ship 50km away and try to pound you with missiles from a distance.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #155 on: 10 Oct 2006, 09:29 »

Blasters at 500m for me.

Gragh I need to buy a time card.

Grawsith

« Reply #156 on: 13 Oct 2006, 16:32 »

You mean kilometres. The rest of the world uses a sane measurement system.

Actually, i used imperial measurement because I thought the majority of forum members are American.

öde

« Reply #157 on: 14 Oct 2006, 08:52 »

I think most of the forum members have the decency to use metric.

I am back on EVE guys! Woo! Yay!

Catfish_Man

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • Assorted Stuff
« Reply #158 on: 14 Oct 2006, 23:35 »

I describe all units in terms of c. Damn humans and their silly measurement systems.

öde

« Reply #159 on: 15 Oct 2006, 12:35 »

im on ur EVE, flyin ma ship.

I leave for 2 months and everyone in my corp is infinitely better than me and we have a POS.

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #160 on: 17 Oct 2006, 10:37 »

Suhweeet! POS'S ftw!

We have one in empire :D Buildin cool stuffs! WHOO!
Quote from: Dr. Sidney Freeman
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

nihilist

« Reply #161 on: 17 Oct 2006, 11:03 »

I'm still pretty useless.  Skills, what are those?  Another two weeks till I have most of my advanced learning skills done, then I'll get down to my BC skills again.  Hurr.  And then get my damn Hulk.

öde

« Reply #162 on: 18 Oct 2006, 03:53 »

I feel useless too, I've got about 5 days worth of learning before I might be able to rat in our systems.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #163 on: 19 Oct 2006, 17:35 »

Should have mentioned this earlier, but this week my alliance deployed our first outpost (the FLA Motel, in the 0-2RNZ system)

I'd invite you all to come look, but we run an NBSI policy in our home systems, so you'd likely just get podded.

it's a factory, something we were sorely lacking before. this should be fun.

öde

« Reply #164 on: 20 Oct 2006, 05:20 »

Anyone is welcome to join my corp btw, we're an industrial corp but we like pvpers (like me) for extra income and protection. We're based in Arzi atm, you can come visit if you like but please add odei ingame so you can tell me you're coming and I can tell Arzi security you're not to be blasted away :P

Reno

« Reply #165 on: 20 Oct 2006, 07:09 »

I started playing about 6 weeks ago, and loving it.  Part of Orion's Forge (New Eden Conglomerate) and everyone has been really helpful to this noob.  Even people outside the corps/alliance.

I am spending WAY too much time in PureBlind right now for my own good I think (just got ended our 3rd consecuative week of having someone declare war on us, had to defend our territory)

I dont know what the part I play in a gang is called, but basically (droneless) I disrupt warp, weapons, sensors and propulsion.

Add me in game or what not if ya want Rook Desparro is the in game name.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #166 on: 20 Oct 2006, 07:53 »

I started playing about 6 weeks ago, and loving it.  Part of Orion's Forge (New Eden Conglomerate) and everyone has been really helpful to this noob.  Even people outside the corps/alliance.

I am spending WAY too much time in PureBlind right now for my own good I think (just got ended our 3rd consecuative week of having someone declare war on us, had to defend our territory)

I dont know what the part I play in a gang is called, but basically (droneless) I disrupt warp, weapons, sensors and propulsion.

Add me in game or what not if ya want Rook Desparro is the in game name.

you'd be a tackler, mate. Good role, I fill it myself on occasion (i.e: whenever I have an interceptor)

nihilist

« Reply #167 on: 20 Oct 2006, 10:27 »

I spent the last month upping my learning skills, so I'm doing lvl 4s in all of the SOCT ones.  Rank 1 skills take about 5d 18h to go from nothing to level five.  I'm pretty happy.  Gonna fire up PE5 after I do some refining skills, then I'll get back to kitting my Ferry for war.

AcrophobicPixie

« Reply #168 on: 24 Oct 2006, 06:10 »

Hallo. Ingame I'm Silver Pixie. I'm a miner in the extreme!
Current stats:
Int: 16
Mem: 19
Char: 8
Perc: 11
Will: 11
And, between me and my roommate's like, 6 chars... I have more lvl 5 skills :P
Currently based out of Saila, but will occaisionally go to Sobaseki, Isenairos, Uotila and Juunigaishi.

öde

« Reply #169 on: 24 Oct 2006, 17:55 »

Add Odei and talk to me ):

nihilist

« Reply #170 on: 24 Oct 2006, 19:16 »

I'm 21/12/16/21/18 (intelligence/charisma/perception/memory/willpower), running a solid set of +1 implants (woot...)

Soon enough I'll have a set of +3s.

Hanging out in Sinq Liason space, cuz that's where Erik tolded me to.  I have to listen to him.  He'd hurt me otherwise.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #171 on: 25 Oct 2006, 05:50 »

d'aww.... FLA took out an enemy POS in EC-P8R tonight and I wasn't involved because I was round a friend's house playing Guitar Hero and eating chinese food.

so I basically swapped one awesome thing for another. guess I win either way!

nihilist

« Reply #172 on: 27 Oct 2006, 23:16 »

Well, I got my +3 implant set.  Nummy.  Takes me just a bit over 5 days to take a rank one skill up to level five.  Covetor in a month!

AcrophobicPixie

« Reply #173 on: 31 Oct 2006, 08:50 »

Y'all should listen to eve-underground. That radio station rocks, to say the least, and no sucky radio edits or uber poppy music that makes you want to gag from the sugary sweetness of it. *cringes*

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #174 on: 31 Oct 2006, 10:13 »

I prefer EVE Radio. The original and best. EVE Underground is just a cheap imitation.

nihilist

« Reply #175 on: 31 Oct 2006, 19:39 »

I just listen to my own music.  No EVE noises whatsoever.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #176 on: 01 Nov 2006, 13:31 »

Actually, recently, the only sound I have going on in EVE is the effects noises (gun, missiles, so on) and TeamSpeak (I know... I'd prefer Ventrillo as well, but the alliance uses TS)

Plenty of empire wars recently. Couple of days ago, I was part of a group that got our asses handed to us while trying to do the same to the enemy. Lost a caracal, a wolf and a Condor, and got podded twice.

To be fair, it was basically just a case of "hey, load up on whatever ships you left in safe space and let's go find these guys" - so, twelve tech 1 cruisers with loot-drop mods versus three HACs with straight tech-2 gear. It was never going to go our way.... though it does feel like we should at least have managed to take ONE of them down....

nihilist

« Reply #177 on: 01 Nov 2006, 20:19 »

I like TS because of the licensing terms.  :)

Most of the folks in the group stick to happy safe space.  Some of us plan on hunting pirates in low sec.

Phoenix

« Reply #178 on: 04 Nov 2006, 19:06 »

I tried the trial version of EVE a while back, and didn't like it.

Movement was: engage autopilot, and go make a sandwich while the computer flies somewhere for you.
Mining was: engage autopilot to somewhere with asteroids (make sandwich), then click on an asteroid and go read a book while the computer mines things for you, then use the autopilot to fly back.
Combat was: target enemy, click attack, and have a nap while the computers shoot at each other.

As you can see, I didn't really get into it.  All I seemed to be doing was watching beautiful graphics as the computer had a good time and I didn't.

If there's more to it than that, please let me know.

Grawsith

« Reply #179 on: 05 Nov 2006, 04:43 »

I've done the trial, and yeah. Travelling from one system to another is definitely tedious. Warp, stop, change direction. Repeat.

nihilist

« Reply #180 on: 05 Nov 2006, 22:24 »

Learn to use auto-pilot?

öde

« Reply #181 on: 06 Nov 2006, 00:02 »

Haha, you do not want to go for a nap when you fight rats in low security systems.

nihilist

« Reply #182 on: 06 Nov 2006, 00:06 »

Yeah, can't say I'd be doing that.  Everything becomes far more dangerous if you move into low-sec space, or do mining with a barge in .5 systems.

öde

« Reply #183 on: 06 Nov 2006, 03:28 »

Woo, got podded in my Exequeror, then bought a Vexor.

nihilist

« Reply #184 on: 06 Nov 2006, 20:37 »

I'm still sporting my Ferox, because I cannot even kit that out properly yet.

Ghobhlin

« Reply #185 on: 25 Nov 2006, 15:30 »

New QC forumer, but been in Eve since December last year. Just adding my name to the roster. :-D

Pound_Coin

« Reply #186 on: 28 Nov 2006, 17:42 »

fofofo?

God I can't wait for the rohk.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #187 on: 29 Nov 2006, 19:04 »

Okay, so, revelations is out. all of you need to go log in, undock, and click on the map button right now. I don't care if you've seen it before, or if undocking is really kinda unwise for you at the moment - do it, now.

Don't worry, I'll wait.

There, didn't that feel good? oh, and look, the star map actually bleeds down onto the system level as an accurate starfield. that's OBSCENE.

Now go blow something up.

god, Revelations is soooo good!

öde

« Reply #188 on: 30 Nov 2006, 04:08 »

;_; Just lost eve.

WelshPete

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #189 on: 01 Dec 2006, 04:29 »

Had never seen or heard of EVE before reading this thread...jus checked out the web site and the game does look really good.

Only bad thing bout it seems to be the monthly charge, seems a hell of alot to be playing jus to carry on playing the game plus you got the inital cost of purchasin the game on top of that :-o

Though again is does look a really good game....if only i wasnt a poor student  :-(

Pound_Coin

« Reply #190 on: 01 Dec 2006, 17:28 »

Had never seen or heard of EVE before reading this thread...jus checked out the web site and the game does look really good.

Only bad thing bout it seems to be the monthly charge, seems a hell of alot to be playing jus to carry on playing the game plus you got the inital cost of purchasin the game on top of that :-o

Though again is does look a really good game....if only i wasnt a poor student  :-(

After about a month in the game you should be making enough isk to buy timecards  8-)

Ephphatha

« Reply #191 on: 02 Dec 2006, 04:02 »

This game is awesome. I played the 14 day trial a few months ago, I have two cruisers in my possesion and was only just able to fly them before the trial ran out (Never mind that I couldn't shoot anything, because I had trained no weapons skills). Now that I've finished TAFE I'm going to see about getting a debit account set up at my bank so I can start playing again.

And the monthly fee is incredibly cheap compared to what we have to pay for other games here in Aus.

I LOVE WARPING. Best travel system ever. Never mind it still takes you 500 hours to jump across ten systems, just seeing the ship go zipping past a planet is awesome. And I've heard theres a warp to 0 option now? That'd make jumping through asteroid fields even faster. Me and my friends corp used to go rat hunting in .4 space, which wasn't dangerous at all, but it was hella fun.

...Dammit, now I really want to play again.

Grawsith

« Reply #192 on: 02 Dec 2006, 15:33 »

Just signed up for another trial (i haven't played in months, i remember nothing). 2 hours in, i find a mining corp hiring newbies, i fit right in. I LOVE EVE!!!!!!!!

nihilist

« Reply #193 on: 05 Dec 2006, 23:48 »

I haven't actually fired up the game in probably a month.  I just do random skill clicks.  Until my current learning regimen is complete, I'm not gonna bother.  Need to upgrade skills before I go back to owning missions.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES

WelshPete

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #195 on: 07 Dec 2006, 20:52 »

After about a month in the game you should be making enough isk to buy timecards  8-)

What are the time card exactly? you can earn credits in the game to continue play instead of purchasing them?

Grawsith

« Reply #196 on: 08 Dec 2006, 03:16 »

What is it about MMO's? I play the trial, never make up my mind, and  by the time it's over, some other gaming event (HL2:EP 1, Wii, Garry's Mod) takes me over and forces me to ditch the MMO and continue playing the usual stuff.

pagangeek

« Reply #197 on: 09 Dec 2006, 09:40 »

I loved my 5 months in eve... but now... meh..

what made it so great was my corp, we had some killer trade runs going on.. doing deadspaces, building ships and gear... getting imba at our own pace..

till a stupidly huge corp turns up, declares war on us for no reason, destroys everything -then- demands money.. my corpmates didnt tell me we were at war when i undocked from our station in .8 space in my brandnew megathron... only to see it blown to pieces..

So there I am, several million skill points invested... my best ships trashed, cash pretty much drained.. so meh.. I'll stick with raiding in Warcraft for now.

Fabio

« Reply #198 on: 17 Dec 2006, 18:58 »

Downloading the client now, got my free trail code, but i will play it no more than the trail allows.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #199 on: 22 Dec 2006, 15:36 »

I loved my 5 months in eve... but now... meh..

what made it so great was my corp, we had some killer trade runs going on.. doing deadspaces, building ships and gear... getting imba at our own pace..

till a stupidly huge corp turns up, declares war on us for no reason, destroys everything -then- demands money.. my corpmates didnt tell me we were at war when i undocked from our station in .8 space in my brand new megathron... only to see it blown to pieces..

So there I am, several million skill points invested... my best ships trashed, cash pretty much drained.. so meh.. I'll stick with raiding in Warcraft for now.

To be fair mate, that's what corporation mail is there for - the war announcement is displayed for everyone to see.

I'm now a Fleet Commander for the Freelancer Alliance. We have two empire wars going on right now, with OMEN corp and E X I L E, but it's not hard to avoid being caught if you know what you're doing.

a few pointers for survival

1: warp core stabilizers make you FAR less susceptible to warp jamming, at the expense of totally nerfing your sensors. For running errands in empire, I tend to use an interceptor with one of those fitted and a couple of nanofibre mods - you align and warp almost impossible fast anyway, and even if they do lock you, they can't scramble you.

2: they can't get you if you dock. if you undock and see unfriendly war-dec type people around, just wait thirty seconds and dock again. don't move, don't fire a shot, just sit calmly in front of the station and keep trying to dock. you're invulnerable after undocking until you actually do anything. if you deny them kills, they'll just get bored and go find somebody else

3: if you have to go somewhere, do it as a team. moving stuff in a hauler or freighter? escort it with four battleships.

4: Smack talk in local is the weapon of the gods. Use it sparingly but to devastating effect.

5: insurance is your friend. that said, it's only worth it on battlecruisers, battleships, and capital ships. if that 'Thron had had platinum grade insurance, you could have just purchased a new one.
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2006, 15:38 by Switchblade »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up