THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 01:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fav game of all time ?  (Read 22890 times)

SamH

Fav game of all time ?
« on: 03 Aug 2005, 17:35 »

Whats your fav game of all time and why ?

Personaly i cant get enough of the first Unreal ^_^

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #1 on: 03 Aug 2005, 17:50 »

Don't have one. I play too many different games to have developed a real favourite, as such. I have many favourites, and cycle between them at semi-regular intervals.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Karn

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #2 on: 03 Aug 2005, 18:04 »

I love all of BioWare's Forgotten Realms games. It's really a shame that this developer is no more.

The original Baldur's Gate was totally groundbreaking, with its sequel and the IceWind Dale and Neverwinter Nights games adding to the fun. They really did some amazing stuff with the D&D game engine, in my opinion. As far as storyline and gameplay go, these games exceed that of most of the more recent "role-playing games."

Simply excellent work.

Shibboleth

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #3 on: 03 Aug 2005, 18:17 »

Tetris for the Gameboy totally owned my soul for a long, long time.

Ultima 4 and 5 for my Apple //c, Starcraft and Quake 2 for my PC, and Metroid Prime and Wind Waker for the Gamecube all come in close 2nd.

Tedd

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #4 on: 03 Aug 2005, 19:01 »

I've played many, many, nay games over my years but I could never find one that I could call my favorite. There aren't enough games with an equal balance of story, graphics (keep in mind graphics do not make a good game), violence and titties. We need another game like FF.

Acclrator

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #5 on: 03 Aug 2005, 21:40 »

Final Fantasy XI.. I can't put the damn thing down. :(

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #6 on: 03 Aug 2005, 21:53 »

Black & White was an awesome game. I mean, you get to be a deity and stomp on people's shit!
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

Super Dave

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #7 on: 03 Aug 2005, 21:56 »

Definitley SONIC 2 for sega genesis. No matter what mood i'm in, that game is always cool.

19, 65, 09, 17 then hold A+START

aw yeah.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #8 on: 04 Aug 2005, 00:36 »

Quote from: Shibboleth
Ultima 4 and 5 for my Apple

DAMN RIGHT!  Okay, I've never played any of the Ultimas on an Apple, but those of you who've read my posts in this part of the Forum may be all too aware of my all-consuming passion for Ultima V.  Best goddamn game ever made.

5thWheel

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #9 on: 04 Aug 2005, 02:06 »

Deus Ex.  It is 5 years old and still pisses all over anything I've played since (it both pisses *and* poops all over the sequel:/).
Why? The characters were fun & I cared about them, the plot was pretty good fun (great by game standards IMO), the FPS aspects were cool ("realistic" mode gives 1-shot kills etc & I liked the aiming system) & I liked the way it (initially) tried to react to the way you played it (you can go for lethal or non-lethal approach in the 1st 2 missions & people treat you differently depending on how you played) & I also liked the RPG aspects.
I have been gagging for a comparable game ever since (tried Morrowind, sucked).. Hoping Alan Wake or Oblivion might be what I'm looking for..

MoiraFae

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #10 on: 04 Aug 2005, 02:15 »

Final Fantasy. Any of them. All of them. Also, Chrono Trigger.

<----RPG Addict. *bows head in shame*

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #11 on: 04 Aug 2005, 05:29 »

Quote from: Switchblade
Don't have one. I play too many different games to have developed a real favourite, as such. I have many favourites, and cycle between them at semi-regular intervals.

Id say that sums me ud as well tbh.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #12 on: 04 Aug 2005, 07:20 »

la dee da.
link to the past.

twentyfour

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #13 on: 04 Aug 2005, 07:25 »

Quote from: 5thWheel

I have been gagging for a comparable game ever since

gagging???

I gotta say my favourite is a real toss up. Shining Force 2 or Vandal Hearts. Both hold a special place in my left ventrical

5thWheel

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #14 on: 04 Aug 2005, 08:31 »

Quote from: twentyfour
gagging???

As in "Gagging for it", as in "desparate for", never really occured to me that was uk-only slang...

twentyfour

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #15 on: 04 Aug 2005, 10:27 »

Well, where I'm from to say someone was "gagging" for it implies they were either takin it in the mouth or they were sick.

Karn

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #16 on: 04 Aug 2005, 12:52 »

(it both pisses *and* poops all over the sequel:/).

It's the sad truth. Even when you could get DX:IW to run, it was a real shoddy game. Besides paling in comparison to the first DX in terms of gameplay, the graphics were really disappointing for a game that came out in 2003.

Kid Modernist

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #17 on: 04 Aug 2005, 13:04 »

Final Fantasy 7 fo' life.

Addius

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #18 on: 04 Aug 2005, 13:25 »

I think it would be Chrono Trigger.. based on the fact that never have I completed a game as many times as I did that game. Baldurs Gate one would probably come as a close second, tailed by the first Diablo game.. And then I have to finish the four best ones with a game called Albion. That shit was HOT! I should install that again when I come home, many childhood memories in that game. (Also I think it was the first game I bought with my own money that I actually searched for.. Had to look hard to find it too)

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #19 on: 04 Aug 2005, 17:32 »

Quote from: Tedd
There aren't enough games with an equal balance of story, graphics (keep in mind graphics do not make a good game), violence and titties.

HL2 only really falls down on that last point, actually, so if you haven't played it, I think you should.

Mind you, Alyx has an AMAZING ass... which kind of compensates.

Ever notice how there are no woman headcrab zombies? I have killed many a HCZ, and seen nary a boob.

Wait, shit, I just realised how totally creepy that sounds... *dons sunglasses, raises shiney metal stick* Hey, look at this thing!

*FLASH!*

5thWheel

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #20 on: 05 Aug 2005, 02:47 »

Quote from: Tedd
There aren't enough games with an equal balance of story, graphics (keep in mind graphics do not make a good game), violence and titties.

HL2 only really falls down on that last point, actually, so if you haven't played it, I think you should.

Hmm, I thought the story for HL2 was poor-to-nonexistant:/  I was hugely disappointed in the whole game tbh.  They made this big wet deal out of the physics but if you acutally did anything useful or "out of the box" with them it screwed you (e.g., in "(SPOILER) Entanglement" I pre-built an escape route out of the pit with the turrets & 4 forcefields in it & ended up in the middle of a load of spawnpoints for enemies).  Also I felt it had no atmposphere (except for Ravensholm, that was cool :) ). Also your fellow soldiers are totally disposable. Also Steam both sucks & blows.
OTOH over 1.7million retail sales would tend to place me in the minority I guess.  & I admit the graphics totally blew me away.

Max Payne 2 has story, graphics, violence *and* titties :) .

Sabre

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #21 on: 05 Aug 2005, 03:16 »

I too love the forgotten realms series, but when did they go bust?!?!?!

Quote from: Karn
I love all of BioWare's Forgotten Realms games. It's really a shame that this developer is no more.

MoiraFae

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #22 on: 05 Aug 2005, 03:31 »

Shining Force 2

I loved the Shining Force series!! Now if I could only get my hands on a few of them ...

Oh, I didn't mention, Pirates! Gold. God I loved that game. And the original Theme Park ...

Stranger Dan

• Emoticontraindication
Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #23 on: 05 Aug 2005, 03:44 »

Quote from: Sabre

Obviously, they took all of the money that they made from Knights of the Old Republic 1&2 and Jade Empire and bought themselves race cars and an unmeasureably large amount of vodka. They all died either from car crashes or alcohol poisoning or more commonly both. Oddly enough this hasn't stopped them from working on Jade Empire 2.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #24 on: 05 Aug 2005, 09:52 »

Hmm, I thought the story for HL2 was poor-to-nonexistant:/  

Poor-to-nonexistant plot? Hardly. The genius of HL2's plot doesn't lie in plot twists, emotional angst and all that... it's in the detail. The photograph in Kleiner's lab, showing a bunch of scientist (including Gordon Freeman) with one of the faces obliterated by white-out. The spray-painted orange Lambda symbols wherever the underground resistance has left a supply drop. Barney pausing whilst hacking a console and saying "Did you hear a cat just then?... The damn thing haunts me..." A terrified resistance member being comforted by one of her comrades while a firefight rages outside. Newspaper cutting talking about the "Seven hours war" hung up in  Eli's lab. Eli's missing leg.

The bits that really stand out for me, however, are during "Red Letter Day" - Alyx goes through the teleporter, and she gives her dad a kiss on the cheek when she arrives - and "Dark Energy". When Gordon goes down in the lift to enter the core, Alyx presses her hands against the glass, and watches him descend. Without saying anything, it's an emotional moment.
Also I felt it had no atmposphere (except for Ravensholm, that was cool :) ).

You ever noticed how there are no kids in HL2? During the opening sequence, Doctor Breen's broadcast includes a section where he reads a letter from a citizen asking when the suppression field that prevents breeding will be lifted. Shortly thereafter, you walk past an old play park, with a swing set and see-saw, all rusted and dirty from disuse. and I'd swear that the soundtrack at that point includes kids screaming.

There may not be a plot in the traditional sense but the WORLD is so full of depth and atmosphere that I've only scuffed the surface here. It's run-down, neglected, opressed. Whole sections of a once-grand city have slowly fallen to ruin, inhabited by tired, scared citizens. Very little new is invented that isn't being used by the Combine. The plot depth and atmosphere are there, they just aren't expressed overtly. It's implied story-telling, basically, and a fine example at that.

They made this big wet deal out of the physics but if you acutally did anything useful or "out of the box" with them it screwed you (e.g., in "(SPOILER) Entanglement" I pre-built an escape route out of the pit with the turrets & 4 forcefields in it & ended up in the middle of a load of spawnpoints for enemies).

If you will insist on mucking with the game, then you can expect to be nastied up. HL2 was never designed to be a game about choice. In fact, the whole thing revolves around a lack of choice. Gordon is forced inexorably down a single path, both metaphorically, and literally. Sure, there are different ways to take on different challenges. During "Nova Prospekt", when faced with turrets, the options I tend to use when dealing with turrets are to either chuck a grenade at them, or rip a radiator off the wall with the G-gun, and use that to knock them over instead. But at the same time, there really is only one course open to you. Fight, move on, follow like a rat in a maze where all the alternative routes have been sealed off. But there are times when you can bypass the game and get away with it. During the coast road sequence, for example, you come across a gate. You're supposed to seek out the batteries hidden around the area to power the motor and open it.

The first time I got there, I built a ramp and boost-jumped over the gate instead. I wasn't penalised for that. I took DOG's ball into Ravenholme with me, one time. Not only is it useful ammo for the G-gun, but it's combine-aligned, meaning that the headcrabs and zombies attack it. If I chuck the ball into the middle of a zombie cluster, I'll kill one, and the rest will gather round and smack it, leaving me free to pick up a sawblade or something and take ALL of them out in one go. plus, it can kill headcrabs by rolling over them.

Also your fellow soldiers are totally disposable.

Not so. Medics hand you health packs if you get too badly wounded, for starters, and they ALL  pitch into the fights, making them a lot shorter and easier.

I also love it when they swap out their weapon for a better one on the ground. At the start of "Follow Freeman", one of the soldiers following me grabbed an RPG with a satisfied "one for me..." and then shot a strider, yelling "AND ONE FOR YOU!!!" Another one swapped her SMG for a combine pulse rifle nicked off a dead soldier, and said "thank you!" to its former owner. And even these minor characters make eye contact with you, look and focus properly, and basically behave like human beings. One of mine got killed by a turret one time, and the guy next to her gave this anguished "NO!" and rushed over and knocked the turret down.

Also Steam both sucks & blows

Never had a problem with it, myself. In fact, I think it's quite useful.

5thWheel

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #25 on: 05 Aug 2005, 10:11 »

[A spirited defense of HL2]

k, plot/atmosphere matter of personal preference I guess.  I may have suffered from hearing all the hype.

Re: steam OTOH, I do see the point in steam but I'd rather not have to wait up to half an hour before being able to play the game.  Happened a couple of times the damn thing took so long to update (no offer of skipping it I could see) that by the time it had started I had to turn it off again:/  I do have broadband btw.

ObOnTopic: Grim Fandango is another of my fave games

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #26 on: 05 Aug 2005, 10:30 »

Funny. On a 56K dial-up, I had to endure only a single 90-minute download time when I first set up the game. Since then, the whole thing's been as smooth as a shaved baby's bum after being sat in WD-40. I've found it to be nothing other than incredibly useful, in fact, though I have heard horror stories.

And it is possible to run Steam in an offline mode, too, you know.

I respect that you don't want to let a game's hype force you into making a  false positive judgement, but at the same time it's possible to go too far in the opposite direction. I find that hype is justified, more often than not.

Anyway, 'nuff said on that topic. I urge you to replay and take things slower, and look around at the game world more closely, however. You should ahve a more fulfilling experience.

deborah

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #27 on: 05 Aug 2005, 10:50 »

call me an old coot, but my favorite game was the sierra version of the black cauldron.
actually, pretty much anything sierra put out back in the 80s was cool shit.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #28 on: 05 Aug 2005, 12:06 »

Shining Force 2

Quote from: MoiraFae
I loved the Shining Force series!!

If you love the Shining Force games, you should definitely check out Nippon Inchi's strategy RPGs on PS2.  I recommend Disgaea, although Phantom Brave is my favorite; Disgaea's battle system is just like Shining Force, whereas Phantom Brave changes up some fundamentals.

Too bad about the latest 'Shining' game, Shining Tears.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #29 on: 05 Aug 2005, 13:45 »

Standout game right now that I can go back to again and again...

Tales of Symphonia.  Doesn't need multiplayer, I <3 rpg's and as conventional as the story is, I don't mind playing through it.

Edit:

Before ToS, there was shining Force II.... SLADE WAS AWESOME.

Karn

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #30 on: 05 Aug 2005, 16:53 »

Quote from: Sabre

Shit, talk about a slip. Replace "BioWare" with "Black Isle." Don't give me that look! They both stat with "B!"

Yes. Black Isle, being a subsidiary of Interplay, disappeared when Interplay was bought out by a company in France called "Titus." For those unfamiliar with the developer, Black Isle produced such quality franchises as Fallout, Bard's Tale and Baldur's Gate, as mentioned in my previous post. BioWare is still alive and well. :-)

Speaking of tragically evaporated developers, has anyone here played the Thief game series by Looking Glass studios? Those were some of my favorite games, as well.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #31 on: 05 Aug 2005, 17:32 »

The Thief series, along wiht Deus Ex and Half Life are easily the best games ever. period.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

GebStar

• Furry furrier
Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #32 on: 06 Aug 2005, 00:50 »

Monkey Island

Non-Star Wars related Lucas Arts adventure games FTW.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

Wulfen

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #33 on: 06 Aug 2005, 04:40 »

Any FF. However! The Civilization games have always managed to suck me in no mater how much I tell them I have a headache.

Tedd

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #34 on: 06 Aug 2005, 06:29 »

Speaking of tragically evaporated developers, has anyone here played the Thief game series by Looking Glass studios? Those were some of my favorite games, as well.

Thief is my best friend's favorite game- I had to give her my 5200FX when I got my Radeon 9800Pro.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #35 on: 06 Aug 2005, 06:31 »

The "Thieve's Highway" mission across the rooftops of the city in Thief 2 is, I think, the greatest level ever created for a F.P.S. game.

trolley

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #36 on: 06 Aug 2005, 06:48 »

ff7 was the best game I ever played.

But Tomb Raider II was my first playstation game I bought. And it was friggin' awesome. So it gets my vote as my favorite.

Except for the level with the Giant spiders, which I had to play through with my eyes closed.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #37 on: 06 Aug 2005, 07:26 »

Elder Scrolls III - Morrowind. Hands down. The one game that I've been able to completely immerse myself in for days on end. A beautifully crafted and intricately detailed world combined with a good story and enough other stuff to do that you never have to touch the story. Best. Game. Ever. (in my opinion).

I'm hoping like hell Morrowind will gracefully hand it's crown over Oblivion when it comes out.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Freezey

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #38 on: 06 Aug 2005, 14:57 »

Chrono Trigger/Cross as far as how many times I've replayed a game...

unless you count like, Super Mario Bros 1-3, Super Mario World ect. I've played those countless times.

Karn

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #39 on: 06 Aug 2005, 18:46 »

Quote from: Inlander
The "Thieve's Highway" mission across the rooftops of the city in Thief 2 is, I think, the greatest level ever created for a F.P.S. game.

Ohhhhhhh, that was a BADASS level. I would have to agree with you via a non-queer "high-five."

One of my other favorites from Thief 2:TMA would have to be "Assassins!" It was just so huge, and so much fun. That, and "First City Bank & Trust." Robbing an entire bank--every thief's dream come true!

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #40 on: 08 Aug 2005, 17:39 »

Doom 2.

I spent a lot of time on that game, and even now it's cool to go back to. Nothing beats it.

Inanimate Object

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • http://www.psptown.com
Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #41 on: 09 Aug 2005, 07:51 »

Quote from: GebStar
Monkey Island

Non-Star Wars related Lucas Arts adventure games FTW.

YES! Monkey Island are easily some of my favorite games.

The top spot is taken by Donkey Kong Country though. The original SNES game was amazing.

thehoopiestfrood

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #42 on: 09 Aug 2005, 18:24 »

I've said it before and I'll say it again - hell, I never stop saying it - Grim Fandango. Perfect.

Markoff_Chaney

everyone knows this one.
« Reply #43 on: 10 Aug 2005, 03:05 »

Chrono trigger, with a nod at more than one castlecania effort.
and of course, custards last stand on atari.

staunch.

Alex

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #44 on: 11 Aug 2005, 02:50 »

Starsiege: Tribes is probably my favorite game of all time. Fast-paced online multi-player action. It was so great. It was the first FPS to introduce full 3D movement with Jetpacks. You couldnt just run around on the ground like in Quake, if you planned to survive and be any good to your team, you had to plan on being in the air a lot. It was a true game of skill. Then came later installments, which made it exactly what us Tribers were trying to stay away from: Quake/Unreal.

LOZ: OOT is high on the list as well.

Goldeneye 64 is an all time fav.

Tekken 5 is pretty awesome as well.

SpacemanSpiff

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #45 on: 11 Aug 2005, 08:51 »

Unreal Tournament Classic was awesome. Then Descent (first network game I used to play a lot) and tons of Lucas Arts adventures. Also, StarCraft (plus Broodwar).

But first and foremost: Homeworld. God, I love this game and it's a goddamn shame I can't get a legal copy since I lost my CD (still have the box though).

Ethan

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #46 on: 11 Aug 2005, 11:05 »

Tales of Symphonia pwns.

Its one of the only RPG's Ive ever beaten >_o

Merkava

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #47 on: 12 Aug 2005, 12:57 »

Metal Gear Solid is, in my opinion, the best game ever made. I mean the original, not the GC remake.

Other than that, FFVII. Even though I've gone on to play more and more RPG's, I just feel guilty not naming this one my favorite. I have more memories, and fond memories at that, with FFVII than any other game. It's the most perfect RPG experience I've had.

Shadow Hearts: Covenant deserves an honerable mention for being pretty much just as good.

ASturge

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #48 on: 13 Aug 2005, 09:57 »

Quote from: Kid Modernist
Final Fantasy 6 fo' life

Edited so it made sense.

Also, Morrowind and Deus Ex

citric_acid

Fav game of all time ?
« Reply #49 on: 13 Aug 2005, 10:48 »

Asking a hardcore gamer their favorite game is like asking them to pick a favorite ... internal organ, perhaps?

I guess I could narrow it down to top three, though. I like FFVII, Mario64, and Super Mario Bros. 3.

I'm an oldschool gamer, I guess.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up