THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 11:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Cool Mainstream  (Read 30397 times)

tastick

Cool Mainstream
« on: 03 Sep 2005, 16:04 »

Contrary to popular belief, there's good music in today's mainstream. Why people choose to whine about it is beyond me, because believe it or not music can be good if other people have heard of it.

What are your favorite "mainstream" bands?

La Creme

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #1 on: 03 Sep 2005, 16:21 »

People complain because most mainstream music really is horrible.

Hmmmmm, I guess you can call Radiohead mainstream, and I am ok with them. They also seem to have made Modest Mouse quite popular, as well as The Arcade Fire, both of whom are great. Also, if The Cat Empire are big in Australia (as I've heard, from a fellow American though, so that may be false), then they are one too.

tastick

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #2 on: 03 Sep 2005, 16:30 »

But people tend to hate on great bands for the sole reason that they're well-known.

Sure, a lot of it's horrible, but a lot of it's great too. I'm just saying people have gotta have open minds.

e-z0r

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #3 on: 03 Sep 2005, 16:53 »

I've never had a full album of Eminem, but a few of his songs that I have heard on radio I've really liked.

Highlander

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #4 on: 03 Sep 2005, 16:55 »

System of a Down, Eminem's first album, Muse and (some)Weezer. It's all good stuff.

Merkava

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #5 on: 03 Sep 2005, 17:35 »

Quote from: e-z0r
I've never had a full album of Eminem, but a few of his songs that I have heard on radio I've really liked.

Some of my best memories are of my cousin and I hiding The Eminem Show from my mother. Good times. :D

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #6 on: 03 Sep 2005, 17:40 »

TITULAR OXYMORON ALERT.

TITULAR OXYMORON ALERT.

The Murderdolls
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

SeanBateman

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #7 on: 03 Sep 2005, 18:03 »

The Beatles, The Stones, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix. Blink 182, Avril Lavigne Green Day.

Reno

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #8 on: 03 Sep 2005, 18:07 »

Something Corporate and Metallica

Micolithe

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #9 on: 03 Sep 2005, 18:11 »

The Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Queens of the Stone Age
The Gorillaz

You're not a true rocker unless you can headbang to the 52nd Street album by Billy Joel

I liked Audioslave's first album. Second one, not so much
Modest Mouse is mainstream now, right?

Merkava

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #10 on: 03 Sep 2005, 18:17 »

Thumbs up to Micolithe.

SeanBateman

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #11 on: 03 Sep 2005, 18:20 »

Quote from: Micolithe

I liked them better before they sold out.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #12 on: 03 Sep 2005, 18:21 »

^ We need more of this talk.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Merkava

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #13 on: 03 Sep 2005, 18:23 »

Quote from: SeanBateman
Quote from: Micolithe

I liked them better before they sold out.

SELLOUTZ!

Come ON. Their music is so much better now that it actually has focus.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #14 on: 03 Sep 2005, 18:26 »

Modest Mouse are sleepy-boring. Tbh.

The Sex Pistols are pretty mainstream, and they rocked the socks off the mainstream bands you kids listen to. The same with Iron Maiden. Up the Irons!

Merkava

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #15 on: 03 Sep 2005, 18:34 »

I find the The Sex Pistols and The Clash overrated and boring.

I guess we're moderately even. O_<;

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #16 on: 03 Sep 2005, 18:38 »

I don't like The Clash at all. The Sex Pistols are way better. And I don't frankly give a shit about which was more punx. I don't see how you can say the pistols are boring compared to Modest Mouse though. I'm not saying bad, I'm just saying *yawn*. I can't imagine why anyone would want to see them live, for example.

StarMinion1

• Plantmonster
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #17 on: 03 Sep 2005, 18:39 »

Weezer, Jack Johnson,  and Interpol (They're pretty mainstream, right?) are all pretty good in my opinion.

I think some people are scared to believe that their tastes may be influenced by the masses, which might mean they have mind-sets similar to livestock.... Reminds me of this Current Events Club T-Shirt "Be heard, not herded"

Luke

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #18 on: 03 Sep 2005, 18:50 »

Avril Lavigne, Green Day.

On one end of that, I think Avril Lavigne is just a big punk wannabe, and not very good at it either.

On the other end, Green Day absolutely rocks. They managed to make it into the mainstream without altering their style, which is quite an accomplishment.

ramenXnoodles

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #19 on: 03 Sep 2005, 19:06 »

Shit, so many.

Arcade Fire
Gorillaz
Franz Ferdinand
AFI
The Clash
Modest Mouse
Green Day
Interpol
The Weez
Coheed and Cambria (Listening to A Favor House Atlantic right now)
many others I'm too lazy to write.

Not all mainstream is shit.

La Creme

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #20 on: 03 Sep 2005, 19:22 »

What's with all this hating on the Clash? They're a terrific band! So what if they weren't real punks?! There's no way to be a real punk and be in a succesful band.

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #21 on: 03 Sep 2005, 19:35 »

Nirvana
Smashing Pumpkins/APC/Tool
Rage Against the Machine
I think everything else I coulda thunk up has been mentioned...
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

SeanBateman

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #22 on: 03 Sep 2005, 19:44 »

Quote from: Merkava
Come ON. [Modest Mouse's] music is so much better now that it actually has focus.

No, buddy, their music was better when it was experimental and epic. Anyone can play what they play now, but their older stuff has a really unique sound, one of the best I've ever heard.

Also, The Clash are Awesome. The Sex Pistols not so much.
AND AVRIL IS NOT A WANNABE PUNK LUKE! SHE IS JUST MISUNDERSTOOD

EDIT: See post below and take note.

Clara

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #23 on: 03 Sep 2005, 19:54 »

Missy Elliott and Kanye West.

Also: Things that make me angry
-The current American administration
-Being mauled by sad puppies
-Quote tunnels

Just thought I'd let you know.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #24 on: 03 Sep 2005, 19:57 »

No. The Residents are experimental. Zappa was experimental. Beefheart was experimental. Praxis was experimental. Modest Mouse? Not so much. And yes, including The Moon and Antartica.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Merkava

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #25 on: 03 Sep 2005, 20:10 »

Quote from: La Creme
What's with all this hating on the Clash? They're a terrific band! So what if they weren't real punks?! There's no way to be a real punk and be in a succesful band.

I honestly don't care about the "punk enough" argument. I just don't plain like them. The same with the Sex Pistols. I'm too young for it, I guess. I understand what effect the group had on the young teenagers when they first came out, but I just think they sound boring.

I guess I just don't relate as much to classic rock unless it's something that people don't talk about all of the time. Television and Richard Hell/The Voidoids are very undername-dropped, in my opinion, and sound a lot more dynamic than anything the Sex Pistols or other simmilar bands put out, I feel.

Again, just me.  

As for Modest Mouse, I love them; I think that their earlier stuff is great, but they were just too loose, IMO. I don't recall that much from their earlier period compared to The Moon and Good News.

Besides, if you really want to make the "sold out" argument, at least keep in mind that once they signed to a major label for The Moon, they "sold out". Just because it didn't get them "OMG populere" doesn't mean it's not valid. Look at the Jawbox move.

Hey...what was this topic about again? XP

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #26 on: 03 Sep 2005, 22:59 »

No, no. My comment meant that, to me anyway, the Clash are kind of a boring old rock band really. Outdated and uninteresting, and whenever I say this, someone always falls back on an argument about how influential they were, or how they were more punk than the Sex Pistols, or something.

Luke

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #27 on: 03 Sep 2005, 23:48 »

AVRIL IS NOT A WANNABE PUNK LUKE! SHE IS JUST MISUNDERSTOOD

Actually, you can take pretty much any popular figure and call them "misunderstood." For instance, Britney Spears is misunderstood by the fans that think she's a good singer...

Quote from: Clara
Kanye West.

Yes.

Praeserpium Machinarum

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #28 on: 04 Sep 2005, 02:22 »

I think any band who has sold a cd, merchandise etc. are selloutz ;)

mainstream...hmm...

RHCP
Radiohead
Queen
Kashmir(mainstream in Denmark)
Tina Dickow
Kent
APC
Tool
Björk
Blur

etc.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #29 on: 04 Sep 2005, 03:01 »

I don't listen to it unless it comes from a very limited printing (25-500) from a recording studio atop a Very Very Very Very Very Forsaken Crest Of The Northern Mountain.

The more avant garde, the better. I WANT THE INSTRUMENTS TO BE CONTRUCTED FROM GOAT'S CARCASSES.

That said, uh I dunno, I didn't mind that new Gorillaz single.
also israel

TheCourtJester

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • OB/GYN/OMG/WTF/BBQ!
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #30 on: 04 Sep 2005, 04:23 »

-Gorillaz
-System of a Down
-APC/Tool*
-Bad Religion*
-Pennywise*
-Cake has some pretty decent chillin music
-I'm sure I'm gonna catch crap for this...but I've thought Evanescence was alright at times. Catch is, I think Amy has a great voice and the band does some neat stuff...but them together = not so good. Someone say they at least understand what I mean...
-Flogging Molly
-Green Day
-The Shins*
-Jack Johnson (only certain songs though...more chillin music)
-Josh Groban
-Less Than Jake*
-Lit
-Motion City Soundtrack*
-The Police/Sting (FUCKINAWESOMEOK?)
-RHCP (sure maybe they don't get high as much, but they're sound is so much...well...better)
-Seal
-Simon and Garfunkel/Paul Simon
-Social Distortion*
-Sublime
-Sum 41 (only the "chuck" album...give it a try...it's a completely different band from the previous albums...especially "No Reason," "We're All to Blame" and "88")
- Another one I may catch crap for...I firmly believe 98 degrees was a highly talented group. It was still boy band pop...but I had actually head them live...it took ages to drag me to it but I was disturbed and surprised...they were actually singing and doing it extremely well. Listen to their recording of "Ave Maria" ... that shit is HARD to sing but it's one of my favorite versions of that song to date.

* means I'm not really sure if it's mainstream or not...I just listen to what appeals to my ears (hard concept to grasp for some). I'm generally not "in touch" with what's popular or not.
The sad thing about tennis is that no matter how good you get, you'll never be as good as a wall.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #31 on: 04 Sep 2005, 04:38 »

Alright people, I'm not listing the classics because they're listened to by EVERYONE.

Jet
Reel Big Fish (I think they count.)
Weezer
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Merkava

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #32 on: 04 Sep 2005, 06:56 »

TheCourtJester has the best list and avatar so far. XP

So I don't have to feel guilty for liking Motion City Soundtrack? :D

Everest

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #33 on: 04 Sep 2005, 07:18 »

I hate the whole mainstream/not mainstream idea, I must say. There's hardly any telling if there's any line, if there's any line to begin with. Everything's music, there's good and there's bad, and that's all I need. In fact, I'm way more uncomfortable with bands desperately trying not to be mainstream, than bands that don't care either way, and just make music.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #34 on: 04 Sep 2005, 07:48 »

Some people just find a very accessibe sound and message, and some people get listened to in the mainstream because they used to front No Doubt. *shudder*
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

sp2

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #35 on: 04 Sep 2005, 09:09 »

Quote from: Kai
No. The Residents are experimental. Zappa was experimental. Beefheart was experimental. Praxis was experimental. Modest Mouse? Not so much. And yes, including The Moon and Antartica.

This is why I love you.

Jarne

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #36 on: 04 Sep 2005, 09:30 »

Jimmy Buffet.
Modest Mouse. In their defence, I read in an interview with Isaac Brock that they did a lot less drugs while making "Good News" than their other albums. Hence its more mainstream sound.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #37 on: 04 Sep 2005, 10:23 »

I'm not sure what's considered mainstream (like many of you), so I'm just going to say what is popular in Canada, among others that are just internationally popular.

Quote from: Clara
Missy Elliott and Kanye West.

-Weezer
-Metric
-Death Cab For Cutie
-The Beatles
-Broken Socialm Scene (they're played on the radio here I've heard)
-Alexisonfire (first album)
-Incubus
-Interpol (kinda)
-The Cure
-Moby
-Snow Patrol
-The Hives
-The Vines
-Radiohead
-Red Hot Chili Peppers
I like the way you work it.

ASturge

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #38 on: 04 Sep 2005, 10:26 »

Snow Patrol?

eeeeeuw

Praeserpium Machinarum

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #39 on: 04 Sep 2005, 10:44 »

That I just don't understand, Snow Patrol is duller than Coldplay and U2 together, that's a lot of dull!
No wonder they were bajonetted over here(a online mag called Gaffa hates their guts, especially that Lightbody fellow and his Reindeer Section)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #40 on: 04 Sep 2005, 11:02 »

Quote from: Trollstormur
The more avant garde, the better. I WANT THE INSTRUMENTS TO BE CONTRUCTED FROM GOAT'S CARCASSES.

Feh, goats are for wusses. Unless you involve a tiger or a bear or a giant squid somehow, it's totally not underground enough.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

sp2

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #41 on: 04 Sep 2005, 11:43 »

Quote from: Jarne
Modest Mouse. In their defence, I read in an interview with Isaac Brock that they did a lot less drugs while making "Good News" than their other albums. Hence its more mainstream sound.

Modest Mouse isn't experimental.  Also, Isaac Brock is a twat.  I was reading (oh shit, shame shame shame) some interview with him in Spin (I was bored and it was on my friend's floor) and he was dissing on VIvisectVI by Skinny Puppy.  Like, hardcore dissing.  Yeah, okay, we get it, you don't like Industrial.  Alright.  Cool.  You're still a talentless asshole who plays stereotypical shit music.

I really don't get the whole Modest Mouse worship thing.

As for modern good mainstream, At the Drive In was mainstream on their last album, and that was a damned classy album.  Hot Hot Heat is mainstream.  Arcade Fire, mainstream.  Etc.  There's plenty of good mainstream, but there's also plenty of talentless twats out there, too, such as Coldplay, Weezer, U2, every nu-metal band out there, etc.  There are also plenty of generally inoffensive bands that just aren't great but also aren't so miserable they make Baby Kali want to cry.  They're not good in any stretch of the word, but are consistently listenable, which I suppose is admirable if you like that sort of thing (I prefer my music to be inspired, but that's just me).

Praeserpium Machinarum

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #42 on: 04 Sep 2005, 11:56 »

the sad thing is that U2 used to be decent, not fantastic but good :|

La Creme

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #43 on: 04 Sep 2005, 12:13 »

SUNNDDAYYY BLOODDDY SUNNNDAAAAYYY.

Love that song.

sp2

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #44 on: 04 Sep 2005, 12:13 »

Yeah.

SELLOUTZ!!!

Hairy Joe Bob

• FIGHT YOU
  • shame machine
    • Pete Strong - Writer & Artist
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #45 on: 04 Sep 2005, 12:35 »

the best rendition of that song is in the Rattle & Hum movie when they perform it at the time of the second Bloody Sunday and Bono gets really emotional. It's great.
What thou lovest well remains,
the rest is dross.

saturnine1979

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #46 on: 04 Sep 2005, 12:55 »

I think it's absolutely hilarious that most of you refer to The Arcade Fire as mainstream. Despite the fact they have been featured in Rolling Stone and various other mainstream medias, if you ask 95% of America if they've heard of the Arcade Fire, you're bound to get a resounding "No".

I think the original poster's intention was focused more on artists that are truly mainstream, like Eminem, Avril Lavigne, John Mayer, etc.

Obviously, among the indie community, The Arcade Fire are notorious. You'd be a fool for not knowing about them, regardless of your like or dislike for the band. It's easy to lose sight of how far steeped you are an indie culture when you constantly surround yourself by it.

Ask a "mainstream" friend if they've heard of half the bands you think are insanely popular in the indie scene and I'll bet they give you a nice, blank stare.

That said, one of my favorite bands of all time is the Smashing Pumpkins.

sp2

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #47 on: 04 Sep 2005, 13:00 »

Arcade Fire is playing arenas and are on MTV.  I'd consider that mainstream, yeah?

MysteriumTremendum

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #48 on: 04 Sep 2005, 13:16 »

Quote from: Everest
I hate the whole mainstream/not mainstream idea, I must say. There's hardly any telling if there's any line, if there's any line to begin with. Everything's music, there's good and there's bad, and that's all I need. In fact, I'm way more uncomfortable with bands desperately trying not to be mainstream, than bands that don't care either way, and just make music.

Words to live by.

And I love Snow Patrol, seen them three times now and enjoyed every single concert...best was when they were supported by Keane, that was great!

saturnine1979

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #49 on: 04 Sep 2005, 13:17 »

I've seen two of their videos on MTVU (MTV University)...

And as far as I'm aware, they're still playing theatres and clubs. I know they're opening a few dates for U2, but that's the only arena I see on their tour list.

My point is, despite all the attention they seem to be getting, that doesn't necessarily ingrain them into the public conciousness the same way that a Britney Spears or even a Michelle Branch is written into mainstream knowledge. Being mainstream isn't simply being covered in a news box in a music magazine or being featured on MTV2; it's having the words to your radio hits known by the general public or having your album prominently displayed at Wal-Mart.

In that sense, I'd consider Modest Mouse marginally mainstream (as far as their popularity goes) because I know tons of people that aren't necessarily into music that are familiar with "Float On".

But that also brings up another point. I don't think that simply being popular makes an artist mainstream; that word should also be defined by a musical style. In my opinion, masintream music is bland and unoriginal, based on tried and true formulae that easily catches a large audience. Modest Mouse happened to strike a lucky (or unlucky, depending on your view) hit with "Float On". I don't think they were necessarily aiming for mainstream success, but they sure found it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up