THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 21:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Cool Mainstream  (Read 30547 times)

Spirit Stereo

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #100 on: 06 Sep 2005, 13:24 »

Gorillaz, Kanye, Beck, Common, MM, FF.

Luke

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #101 on: 06 Sep 2005, 13:41 »

You know, I actually dug out College Dropout and started listening to it in my car this morning because of this thread.

TheLoweringTide

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #102 on: 08 Sep 2005, 01:23 »

To clarify, I am defining "mainstream" as "I have heard it on the radio ever."  To be fair, I don't actually listen to the radio, so anything that's filtered through to my list is pretty damn mainstream.

See:
Tool
The White Stripes
AFI
Smashing Pumpkins
Outkast
New Order
The Beatles
Placebo
David Bowie
Gorillaz

TrueNeutral

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #103 on: 08 Sep 2005, 06:52 »

Iron Maiden
Manowar
Modest Mouse
Rammstein
Midtown
Tool
Guns and Roses
Oasis
Pantera
Eels
Red Hot Chillipeppers
Led Zeppelin

And assorted nu-metal bands. Nothing that has rap in it, though. Mostly Disturbed's last two offerings, KoRn's non-rap stuff and some Godsmack(which is more like Grunge anyway). And really, that is totally not mainstream where I live. I have met, in total, TWO people who have ever heard OF Disturbed, only one who HEARD them.

EDIT: Missed Gorillaz

Also, to hose railing on bands because they think some dude is a dick or because that singer said something about their image of some other band: Why do you give a flying fuck? It's about the fucking music. If I like a song, I'm gonna listen to it, I don't care who made it.

Luke

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #104 on: 08 Sep 2005, 10:08 »

Disturbed was super-mainstream for a little while when their single "Down with the Sickness" was released. Almost everyone I know was trying to imitate the "euoo-wah-ah-ah-ah" sound that the singer makes. And, granted, I'll admit I was doing it too, but I think I was doing a heck of a better job than other people. Seriously, if you're gonna mock someone, do it right.

Um... yeah.

TrueNeutral

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #105 on: 08 Sep 2005, 12:08 »

Yeah, but you don't live in Holland. They're virtual unknowns here.

Also, I think Disturbed's first album, The Sickness (which Down with the Sickness was on, obviously) was only okay, and had some really bad stuff(Droppin' Plates comes to mind). The rap-like stuff and electronic bullshit going before important things like, say, guitar, is just not right.

Their second album, Believe, is pretty monotonous as a whole, but the individual songs are pretty good in my opinion. It's a lot more music driven, there's little-to-no electronic drivel thrown into it. At this point, they really even weren't Nu-metal anymore. No rap, no electronic. In fact, it seemed like they were trying to get back to old school stuff(some of it reminded me of Pantera, which is one of my favourite metal bands).

Their new album(which 'technically' isn't out yet) Ten Thousand Fists, though, has a very promising first half(Overburdened quickly became one of my favourite songs). The second half, again, is a little monotonous, and people can use the arguement 'they keep making the same song', but I always use the same arguement - I like listening to that song! Also, the guitarist finally decided 'why does Draiman get all the attention? I want to be on the forefront too! Gimme some solo space!'

Of course, no one here probably cares, 'cause I'm just another member here with a seemingly appaling music taste according to many people. No ones gonna change their opinion on Disturbed just 'cause I say so.

Luke

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #106 on: 08 Sep 2005, 13:03 »

At least you recognize that others' opinions aren't going to change based on what you say. Some people just don't seem to understand that.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #107 on: 08 Sep 2005, 14:35 »

I used to be totally into Disturbed like, 3 years back. They were one of my top 20.

BRING THE VIOLENCE!

And I really like this one Godsmack track, 'Vampires'. Still do. None of their other stuff really though. Just that. I never really ever got into nu metal, went down a different road, I was already listening to Dimmu Borgir, Therion and Apocalyptica at that time.

Edit: Although on reviewing. 'Voodoo' is pretty cool.

I remember once basically having the biggest flamewar ever trying to defend why I liked Godsmack more than Tool on this basis.

And fucking winning.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #108 on: 08 Sep 2005, 16:19 »

Quote from: Luke
Almost everyone I know was trying to imitate the "euoo-wah-ah-ah-ah" sound that the singer makes. And, granted, I'll admit I was doing it too, but I think I was doing a heck of a better job than other people. Seriously, if you're gonna mock someone, do it right.

No one can make that sound like Richard Cheese.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

sp2

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #109 on: 08 Sep 2005, 17:25 »

If I remember correctly, Godsmack were that terrible Alice in Chains ripoff.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #110 on: 08 Sep 2005, 19:07 »

The one that wanted to be a terrible Metallica ripoff, yes.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Luke

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #111 on: 08 Sep 2005, 20:45 »

One that I forgot:

Tupac!

TrueNeutral

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #112 on: 09 Sep 2005, 05:58 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
And I really like this one Godsmack track, 'Vampires'.

I think almost everyone liked that, which would explain the Grammy they won for it.

I liked their acoustic thingy a lot too. It was damned relaxing.

Micolithe

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #113 on: 09 Sep 2005, 07:06 »

Yeah. For a band that now does music for "Join the Navy" commericals and took their name from an Alice in Chains song, their stuff is pretty good.

TrueNeutral

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #114 on: 09 Sep 2005, 08:34 »

They didn't, actually. At least, not according to WikiPedia.

"The name "Godsmack" did not come from an Alice in Chains song, though popular rumor deems it so. It came from the lead singer insulting one of his band mates for having a cold sore on his lip. The next time he came in for practice, he had one too. Sully Erna, the lead singer and practicing Wiccan believes in Karma, and his making fun of his band mate was the way in which he was repaid... His band mate told him that that was a "godsmack.""

I'm inclined to believe their version on the grounds of me liking to see the more fun side of life.

At least you recognize that others' opinions aren't going to change based on what you say. Some people just don't seem to understand that.

I can't stand those people. I get a lot from just about every group. Indie kids scold me for listening to nu-metal, emo kids hate me 'cause I like assorted happy sounding artists, nu-metal people can't stand me because I despise Linkin' Park, Limp Bizkit, and other frontrunners of the scene, and those death metal people want to kill me because my personal opinion is that their vocalists grate on the nerves, and preps don't understand how I can like something as old as Led Zeppelin. I guess that's what I get for just listening to whatever I find at some random spot and decide it's okay. I'm not even going to get into how much crap I get from rap-lovers.

sp2

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #115 on: 09 Sep 2005, 10:54 »

Quote from: TrueNeutral
I'm inclined to believe their version on the grounds of me liking to see the more fun side of life.

I'm more inclined to think they're full of shit because every last one of their early songs tried incessantly to rip off Alice In Chains's song, Would.  Every one fo their later songs tried to rip off Man in the Box.  They clearly listened to waaaay too much AiC, and I can't believe it's a coincidence that their name is identical (sans-space) to the title of a song off an album they likely listened to obsessively.

Garcin

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #116 on: 09 Sep 2005, 14:47 »

Oooh -- Social Distortion - Reach for the Sky.  But the rest of their music gives me hives.

Merkava

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #117 on: 09 Sep 2005, 19:26 »

I hate their singer. Sounds like that generic grundge vocalist. Seether is the same way.

Thank you, Valrus, for mentioning Richard Cheese. Anyone who can turn Down With the Sickness into a really good swing jazz song is a genius, IMO. :P

His Stairway to Heaven cover offended my friend, who got into the Zepplin thanks to me (I also got him into Modest Mouse, oddly), but not as much as the reggae version someone did. XP

The Thief

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #118 on: 09 Sep 2005, 22:48 »

When the fuck did the Arcade Fire become mainstream?

Is it just because they were on the Six Feet Under soundtrack, or whats the deal here?

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #119 on: 09 Sep 2005, 22:53 »

Quote from: Skibas_clavicle
I have one word for this thread: NURRRR

MAINSTREAM IS NEVER COOL

NURR

NURR
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Luke

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #120 on: 09 Sep 2005, 23:12 »

Quote from: The Thief
When the fuck did the Arcade Fire become mainstream?

Since http://www.questionablecontent.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7037">this, apparently

The Thief

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #121 on: 09 Sep 2005, 23:17 »

Oh, that is canada mainstream.

Not real mainstream.

SeanBateman

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #122 on: 09 Sep 2005, 23:41 »

They are played on the world famous KROQ, KAY ARE OH CUE.

That means they have blowed up.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #123 on: 10 Sep 2005, 06:47 »

Okay, the Arcade Fire sorted. Now since when has Beck been mainstream?
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #124 on: 10 Sep 2005, 07:13 »

Since he was on Futurama and a sample of one of his songs came free with windows.

Next?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #125 on: 10 Sep 2005, 07:54 »

and the fact that everybody I know has heard of Beck. (And VH1 likes to tote him as underground. yeehaw.)
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #126 on: 10 Sep 2005, 08:12 »

Quote from: Kai
VH1 likes to tote him as underground.

This is probably one of the top criteria of judging when someone has got mainstream.

Aphi

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #127 on: 10 Sep 2005, 09:06 »

Death From Above 1979 and Metric are getting a lot of radioplay around here.

Metric becoming well known----absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to be a bad thing

Merkava

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #128 on: 10 Sep 2005, 09:18 »

None of those two are getting ANY play over here.

Aphi

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #129 on: 10 Sep 2005, 09:20 »

^^ I guess we're just lucky here, then. The people over at 102.1 absolutely love Metric.

Praeserpium Machinarum

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #130 on: 10 Sep 2005, 10:04 »

Kaizer's Orchestra, in Norway anyway, they are a bit more obscure in Denmark. You can't go wrong with their balkan folk/sea shanties about gangsters and the devil. Quite possibly the best mainstream band there is.

Coonstar

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #131 on: 10 Sep 2005, 17:23 »

Yeah. Death From Above 1979 and Metric are totally becoming Canadian-rock mainstream. If you like rock, and you live in Canada, you gotta know those two bands. If you don't, that means you must live under a rock or an igloo of a sort. There's a lot of guys with Death from Above 1979 shirts around, they seem to be just that kind of rock band that generally appeals to 70% of the male rock population, and Metric appealing to 70% of the female rock population.

And I will be seeing Metric in octobeeer :O

Luke

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #132 on: 10 Sep 2005, 21:17 »

Quote from: Aphi
The people over at 102.1 absolutely love Metric.

Hey, I'll bet you love listening to 102.5, right? (Kidding...)

Maui

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #133 on: 11 Sep 2005, 12:49 »

They should win some sort of prize for smallest playlist. Its like the same 10 songs OVER AND OVER.

Aphi

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #134 on: 11 Sep 2005, 14:05 »

Quote from: Aphi
The people over at 102.1 absolutely love Metric.

Hey, I'll bet you love listening to 102.5, right? (Kidding...)

=growls menacingly= Yeah, about as much as I like listening to 101.1 or 98.5. =mimes vomiting=

Oh, and you win, 'cause you're actually /familiar/ with 102.1--The Edge.

Luke

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #135 on: 11 Sep 2005, 14:20 »

Heh. We have a more local version of 102.5, 101.5, which is slightly better for having a bigger (and slightly less crappy) playlist, but still. It's pop station, so it's very rarely worth tuning in to. I keep my presets on 88.3 and 98.3, but I'm pretty sure none of them reach you out there, Aph. Sorry... :-(

offcitylimits

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #136 on: 11 Sep 2005, 16:15 »

I quite like the tracks I've heard from Jem's album. Kinda like Beth Orton-lite.

Maui

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #137 on: 12 Sep 2005, 21:58 »

Oh, and you win, 'cause you're actually /familiar/ with 102.1--The Edge.

That is seriously the only good radio station that you can get in buffalo. Everything else majorly sucks. Thank god for CD players, heh.

dinosrawr

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #138 on: 12 Sep 2005, 23:06 »

radiohead
i liked incubus's older albums
uhhh
green day- dookie, haven't really listened to american idiot
bloc party
interpol i guess is pretty mainstream now
death cab
you know

Aphi

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #139 on: 13 Sep 2005, 12:49 »

=grins= I have learned most of what I know of music history from Alan Cross's History Of New Music programme sunday nights at seven and monday nights at eleven. hooray for 102.1. I /bow/ to the only good radio station within a hundred-mile radius.

Kid Modernist

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #140 on: 13 Sep 2005, 13:31 »

I've got to reiterate The Smashing Pumpkins.

-sam

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #141 on: 15 Sep 2005, 19:16 »

Quote from: offcitylimits
I quite like the tracks I've heard from Jem's album. Kinda like Beth Orton-lite.

You are a winner.  And Jem makes a nice seque to my favorite "mainstream" band, well favorite band period, Dave Matthews Band.  And of course David Gray.  

But what do those three acts have in common? :)

-sam

Garcin

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #142 on: 15 Sep 2005, 21:50 »

*shudder*  I really, really loathe Dave Matthews.  Thought he was all that in college, and then . . . he went top 40s pop.  

Ummm. . . Brian Wilson hasn't been mentioned yet.  Smile rocked my socks.  Then I had to go buy new socks -- and it rocked those too!

Merkava

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #143 on: 16 Sep 2005, 13:06 »

Oh come now. Before These Crowded Streets is epic, man. Epic.

-sam

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #144 on: 16 Sep 2005, 17:58 »

Quote from: Moiche
*shudder* I really, really loathe Dave Matthews. Thought he was all that in college, and then . . . he went top 40s pop.

Say what you will about the direction some of the later albums have taken (Everyday and to a lesser extent Stand Up were pretty pedestrian), but those first three albums contain some really great music.  Plus they still can bring it live.  Nothing gives me greater joy in life than seeing DMB doing "Two Step" live, especially as an encore.  It is twenty minutes of pure awesome.  mmmm, just thinking about it made me put on one from this summer(7-6-2005). :D

-sam

Luke

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #145 on: 17 Sep 2005, 00:17 »

Gwen Stefani!

(Kidding...)

sjbrot

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #146 on: 17 Sep 2005, 11:52 »

I realise that Canadian mainstream has been pegged as "different" here, but I heard "Reunion" by Stars on my local crappy station (Z99) that usually only plays eighties hits and music endorsed by Ryan Seacrest.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
Cool Mainstream
« Reply #147 on: 18 Sep 2005, 01:56 »

Ben Lee.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Station

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #148 on: 20 Sep 2005, 18:19 »

littlealex

Cool Mainstream
« Reply #149 on: 20 Sep 2005, 22:39 »

Radiohead, The Arcade Fire, Interpol, Muse, Franz Ferdinand, Placebo, Bowie, Smashing Pumpkins.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up