THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 17:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A Song of Fire and Ice Series  (Read 37256 times)

RedLeather

A Song of Fire and Ice Series
« Reply #50 on: 18 Sep 2005, 12:18 »

I posted the link then...Hmm, did you know there aere interesting ways to say the names of the characters? (Taken from the Wiki Link. )

Characters

* Arya: ['ɑːrɪə] /'A:rI@/
    * Baratheon: [bə'rʌθɪən] /b@'rVTI@n/
    * Catelyn: ['katlɪn] /'katlIn/
    * Cersei: ['sə:sɪ] /'s@:sI/
    * Daenerys: [deɪ'nɛ:rɪs] /deI'nE:rIs/
    * Jaime: ['dʒeɪmɪ] /'dZeImI/
    * Jojen: ['dʒəʊdʒən] /'dZ@UdZ@n/
    * Jon: ['dʒɒn] /dZQn/
    * Targaryen: [ta'gɛ:rɪən] /t@'gE:rI@n/
    * Tyrion: ['tɪrɪən] /'tIrI@n/
    * Tywin: ['tʌɪwɪn] /'tVIwIn/
    * Viserys: [vɪ'sɛ:rɪs] /vI'sE:rIs/

Places

* Asshai: [a'ʃʌɪ] /a'SVI/

[edit]

Titles

* Khaleesi: [kə'lɪ:sɪ] /k@'lI:sI/
    * Maester: ['meɪstə] /'meIst@/
    * Ser: [sə:] /s@:/

Eldirial

« Reply #51 on: 18 Sep 2005, 12:23 »

Well, actually- I listened to the audiobook version with a friend, for the first book.  So, I've heard how he says them, and I assume Martin made him say it correctly.

RedLeather

« Reply #52 on: 18 Sep 2005, 13:22 »

I could see that..Martin with a whip behind the Narrater >>; Fun! and look! two pages!

Eldirial

« Reply #53 on: 18 Sep 2005, 22:09 »

Yeah, I heard that it took a long time for him to allow them on audiobook, and he was VERY picky.

He seems like he would be that kinda guy.

But still, we need more people to read these things.

RedLeather

« Reply #54 on: 19 Sep 2005, 07:18 »

Call out the horses! ..and the goalers, we need warm body's for this wall..er..thread.

Eldirial

« Reply #55 on: 19 Sep 2005, 09:11 »

Hmmm... indie kids on the wall.

That would certainly be interesting.

RedLeather

« Reply #56 on: 19 Sep 2005, 13:53 »

I could see death and doom within 24 hours of the indie kid's having to be around each other for more than a few hours.

shrimp

« Reply #57 on: 19 Sep 2005, 13:56 »

I'm not an indie kid.. but I could walk the wall.. I am a warm body.

Please don't worry if i let the entire world die, cause I probably will fall asleep and freeze to the spot.

Eldirial

« Reply #58 on: 19 Sep 2005, 13:58 »

See... the wall would just be worth seeing.  The idea of it is... well, fairly impressive.

But you know what would be worse? Emo kids on the wall.  Can you imagine the whining?  (No offense to emo peoples, I am being purposfully sterotypical)

RedLeather

« Reply #59 on: 19 Sep 2005, 14:04 »

Emo kids on the wall = Death for Westeros in under 25 seconds flat.

But yes, the wall would be fairly impressive...we need...-Cheesy hero music- Bran the builder!

-sam

« Reply #60 on: 19 Sep 2005, 16:52 »

I've read the first three, but I doubt I'll pick up the next in the series.  They're well-writen, but there's just something about them that doesn't quite do it for me.  It might be how he, to me at least, is almost painful in the way he's trying to turn standard fantasy archetypes on their head.  "Oh ho, watch as I make the cripple kid the heir, or the stumpy dwarf king!"  I don't know if that's the direction the books are going to take or not, but it didn't sit well with me.  That and they're just too damn bloodthirsty.  All totally personal preference stuff and the series deserves all the kudos it gets, just not my cup o tea.

-sam

Eldirial

« Reply #61 on: 19 Sep 2005, 19:10 »

Quote from: -sam
I've read the first three, but I doubt I'll pick up the next in the series.  They're well-writen, but there's just something about them that doesn't quite do it for me.  It might be how he, to me at least, is almost painful in the way he's trying to turn standard fantasy archetypes on their head.  "Oh ho, watch as I make the cripple kid the heir, or the stumpy dwarf king!"  I don't know if that's the direction the books are going to take or not, but it didn't sit well with me.  That and they're just too damn bloodthirsty.  All totally personal preference stuff and the series deserves all the kudos it gets, just not my cup o tea.

-sam

I can see that as an easy way to see the books- They are definatly not for everyone, and there are times when Martin does try a little to hard to be different.  My friends are obsessive over the series, so I am sure I will keep reading it- but I agree.... that's the reason I have stopped reading Wheel of Time as of late- it just didn't make me want to keep reading.

shrimp

« Reply #62 on: 19 Sep 2005, 19:19 »

Bloodthirsty isnt good?!

Damn have I been reading fantasy books the WRONG way... oh boy, glad you guys told me that!

RedLeather

« Reply #63 on: 19 Sep 2005, 19:31 »

I read fantasy books for battles and stuff..but for plot to...I wonder, They need to write a book about epic battles -Pout.-

shrimp

« Reply #64 on: 19 Sep 2005, 19:32 »

Plots are good, nay great.. but without the awesomeness of someone cleaving the foulsmelling orc from the groin to the navel, it just wouldnt be as good... :)

Eldirial

« Reply #65 on: 19 Sep 2005, 19:33 »

Hmmm.. the epic battle book.  No characters defined before the battle, just fighting.

I dunno how it would do.

RedLeather

« Reply #66 on: 19 Sep 2005, 19:51 »

Oh sure..there would be defined characters, and the chaos of battle would take place through their eyes, not the eyes of the narrator!

Eldirial

« Reply #67 on: 19 Sep 2005, 20:19 »

Would be a rather interesting book.... different then most anything out there- but would it be a series of battles with the same character- different battles with different people? Or just one immense battle in the entire book.

RedLeather

« Reply #68 on: 20 Sep 2005, 05:34 »

Book A) Different battles culminating into book B) Teh Epic Battle of La Ubernesse

shrimp

« Reply #69 on: 20 Sep 2005, 09:15 »

A series of battles with the same set of goodies with lots of cleaving the foul *insert race here* from groin to navel, and a few slicing through his neck like through butter leaving bloodfilled stump.

The plot is important but fantasy without HUGE epic battles requires an extremely intricate plot and the characters MUST speak to me otherwise I get bored. I like fantasy that can balance a plot with battles and 3D characters. :)

RedLeather

« Reply #70 on: 20 Sep 2005, 13:54 »

-pulls out Random RPG- -Lame salespitch with EA patch on shirt.-

Eldirial

« Reply #71 on: 20 Sep 2005, 18:04 »

You know, there is a Game of Thrones d20 RPG book coming out in a couple months.

RedLeather

« Reply #72 on: 20 Sep 2005, 19:04 »

-Salivate- Oh mi gosherness! >>; i'd totally make a character like the morning star!

Eldirial

« Reply #73 on: 20 Sep 2005, 19:39 »

My friends and I are debating if we are going to play- the question is if we could do it all justice, really...

and everyone gets mad that i want to pattern my character as a mix of the Mountain and Amoury Lorch. ^__^

RedLeather

« Reply #74 on: 21 Sep 2005, 14:04 »

Know what would be better? an Eddard stark/ Mountain cross oo;

Eldirial

« Reply #75 on: 22 Sep 2005, 12:21 »

And Ice in each hand, mayhaps? XD

RedLeather

« Reply #76 on: 22 Sep 2005, 15:55 »

Oh yeah, That would be either A) Scarey ash Helfu, and B) Effective!

Eldirial

« Reply #77 on: 22 Sep 2005, 17:01 »

Well.... I would say lack of defense would be bad... but nobody could get anywhere near him, since Ice is huge...

and with Eddards brain, he wouldn't be such a moron.

RedLeather

« Reply #78 on: 22 Sep 2005, 17:29 »

'Course, Eddard wasn't a moron...i don't think, well, it could be counted moronic for him to go to king's landing at all..

Eldirial

« Reply #79 on: 22 Sep 2005, 20:26 »

Hmmm.. lets see..

I want Bran to be able to posses whoever he feels like... THAT would be pretty Kickass.

RedLeather

« Reply #80 on: 23 Sep 2005, 05:37 »

I could see him possessing..DEAD PEOPLE! >> OMIGARSH!

Eldirial

« Reply #81 on: 23 Sep 2005, 09:20 »

That would be rather creepy...

RedLeather

« Reply #82 on: 23 Sep 2005, 10:09 »

Rather creepy...and useful, seeing as people would not want to hack through their grandmother...Well, maybe roose bolton would, but that's beside the point

Eldirial

« Reply #83 on: 23 Sep 2005, 18:12 »

I just hope the book doesn't get delayed again... I was all ready for it in July, then poof... So I really, really want it to hit when it said it would.

RedLeather

« Reply #84 on: 26 Sep 2005, 05:41 »

Bluh i got myself grounded...I guess, that would be the universal term for banned from everything (Including the computer but..Shh) >>; anyway, this is offtopic because i'm hoping my account does not get suspended for not being on here for a looooong time...

Ontopic: Delayed? If they are delayed...wlel...-Holds up a sign that says "To arms!"

Eldirial

« Reply #85 on: 26 Sep 2005, 08:14 »

I just hope they stay on time this time- thats all I ask.

And grounded does rather suck- though I imagine it takes longer than a few days to get banned for being innactive.

Eldirial

« Reply #86 on: 08 Nov 2005, 17:17 »

Figured I would give this a whack- new book just came out here in the states today, and I have just began to read it- figured I would pop this back up there.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #87 on: 08 Nov 2005, 18:14 »

i am about halfway through the new book, and i can say that it feels a little different.  it is focusing on the time just after the war, so of course it's going to feel different to the previous ones where action was always present or threatened.  it is a bit different tone, but still definitely Martin.  (nb: this might be because i am only about halfway through.  i am pretty sure that there will be some action in the second half of the book)

one character from the past books (one of my faves, actually) is seemingly killed off-screen if a rather nonchalant fashion.  i am not yet sure if it is true or if it's just a ruse, but either way it's definitely goddamn awesome.

RedLeather

« Reply #88 on: 09 Nov 2005, 08:47 »

I get the book today, after school and all, i can't wait for the awesomness..i've had to fill the void with sub-par books...(I would never have thought i'd have to say that to *any* book..but dayumn...) But i shall be happy and hyper...Yup.

destructotroninator

« Reply #89 on: 10 Nov 2005, 06:58 »

mm, it definitely feels a bit different, but I thought that was mostly because all the POVs are generally in the same area, so we don't get an actual look at what's going on in various places. We just hear rumours, which is a pretty key thing to consider. and that is all I'm gonna say for now so I don't spoil anything!

heh, I've been waiting so long for it be released in the US. I'm in Massachusetts but got the UK version of the book, so I actually finished it a little while ago. it's a challenge not talking to anyone about it before they've actually read the book.

Eldirial

« Reply #90 on: 11 Nov 2005, 07:28 »

Quote from: est
i am about halfway through the new book, and i can say that it feels a little different.  it is focusing on the time just after the war, so of course it's going to feel different to the previous ones where action was always present or threatened.  it is a bit different tone, but still definitely Martin.  (nb: this might be because i am only about halfway through.  i am pretty sure that there will be some action in the second half of the book)

one character from the past books (one of my faves, actually) is seemingly killed off-screen if a rather nonchalant fashion.  i am not yet sure if it is true or if it's just a ruse, but either way it's definitely goddamn awesome.

I'm about halfway through also, and if it's who I think you mean, I somewhat doubt that they actually killed them like that.  Perhaps, but I don't think that's really Martin's kinda thing to do- there is probably an evil plot behind it all.

Though, I must say even if the action is lessened, it's still a very good book so far, and I am rather enjoying it.  Now I just hope the next book hitting in end of 06/ begining of 07 like I have heard is true- I don't feel like waiting all that long.

NitroNic

« Reply #91 on: 05 Jan 2006, 11:19 »

Man, I totally love this series.  It ranks among the top of the lists for me.

I really like the way GRRM writes here, seems almost real.  That and he's really good at making you love or hate characters (damn Cersie Lannister should die is the deepest pits of hell... the wench.)

But yeah, I've read the first three and I just got the fourth, but unfortunately classes get in the way with reading, so I might not get to reading it in a bit.

But as for what I predict/think.  Jon Snow is not Eddard's son.  But he is a Stark!  I predict him to be the son of Lynna (Ned's sister) who was raped by Rheagar Targaryen.  All through the first book, Ned is haunted by his memories of Lynna saying "Promise Me".  I think the promise was to take care of Jon as well as have her buried in the Winterfell crypts (to cross reference you don't need to go far into the first book... like 45 pages).

As for what's going on in the south (and what I'll undoubtably find out in the fourth book) I bet Littlefinger has the throne on strings, but he's too clever to take it for himself.  He'd just manipulate the man on there.  That clever bastard.

What really interests me, though, is who will ride the dragons.  Obviously the black is Dany's.  I think Jon Snow/Targaryen/Stark will ride the green.  And perhaps Tyrion the last.  Never never never underestimate that man, he is cunning to the bone.

And poor Arya... I think that girl will eventually meet up with Nymeria... and they'll cause some big killing crazyness to go down.  With both of them mostly mad and all.

Oh my... that was quite a rant, forgive me for being long winded... I'm trying to catch up on all I missed.

I just have one last thing to say "Long Live Sandor Clegane!"

RedLeather

« Reply #92 on: 13 Jan 2006, 08:58 »

Oh my, has been a while, So a Dance with dragons is our new goal eh? Can't wait.  Perhaps it will be on time? I really don't care, i just have to See this damed series to the end, it's like games, All RPG's right now (And some other games) are just looking sickly when compared to Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Same thing with other books.

Long live The Hound!

(Edited for evil typos.)

Justin

« Reply #93 on: 15 Jan 2006, 00:02 »

O. M. G. i am so pleasantly surprised that this topic exists! i haven't finished the the third book yet so i'm afraid to read the thread, but i just want to echo the opinion of this series being awesome. have any of you played the board game "a game of thrones"? it's good fun, i made a t-shirt, black with the stark wolf in white, and a matching sweatshirt for my girlfriend for christmas. i'll try to post a picture sometime...

who're your favorite and most hated character(s)? i hate theon greyjoy, almost as much as i hate joffery, man i HATE joffery! my favorite characters are jon snow and tyrion :)

Justin

« Reply #94 on: 13 Feb 2006, 19:46 »

hmpf, well it looks like i missed the boat for this thread, but i said i'd post a picture of that shirt and a pixler always pays his debts :P

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ
« Reply #95 on: 27 Feb 2006, 13:47 »

Quote from: Justin
O. M. G. i am so pleasantly surprised that this topic exists! i haven't finished the the third book yet so i'm afraid to read the thread, but i just want to echo the opinion of this series being awesome. have any of you played the board game "a game of thrones"? it's good fun, i made a t-shirt, black with the stark wolf in white, and a matching sweatshirt for my girlfriend for christmas. i'll try to post a picture sometime...

who're your favorite and most hated character(s)? i hate theon greyjoy, almost as much as i hate joffery, man i HATE joffery! my favorite characters are jon snow and tyrion :)

My little brother read this series a couple of years ago (or, at least the first 3)
when he was about 9, and reccomended them to me. I realize now that this may have contributed to his being an extremely world-wise, cynical little bastard. I read the first one last year and just started the second one this week. I forgot how good they were. I really appreciate how simply he names his characters. (looking at you, robert jordan)

and yeah, theon greyjoy is an asshole.
Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

RedLeather

« Reply #96 on: 27 Feb 2006, 19:43 »

Heh, i just got into the whole Wheel of time series...And for some reason i can't stop comparing tiny things to A song of fire and ice series...Dear god, i think i've gone insane, Could you put me in a nice asylum?

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ
« Reply #97 on: 28 Feb 2006, 23:08 »

Some needs to sit robert jordan down and calmly but firmly explain that he should stop naming characters nrzaky'phth or grtph'rwk'awb. That guy has a terminal consonant fetish. I got 6 books in and decided he was insane and there was no way I could keep everything straight.

Also, a song of ice and fire is a lot more gritty and realistic, in seems to me. then again, it's been awhile since I read any wheel of time.
Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

RedLeather

« Reply #98 on: 14 Mar 2006, 19:49 »

So, Who here wants to speculate what's going to happen in a Dance With Dragons? Or should we even speculate, and just keep quiet and wait for the book?

Electric Monk

Insanity.
« Reply #99 on: 14 Mar 2006, 22:49 »

I am going seriously frikkin' insane... I don't have the money to buy A Feast For Crows, all the copies at the library are checked out, and none of my friends own the book! GAH.

I love the series so much... I like how Martin doesn't cram magic into his story for MacGuffins and plot work-arounds, but has it be a mysterious thing that few people even believe in. Makes it feel so much more realistic and different than the glut of cookie-cutter fantasy series out there. ::cough::forgottenrealms::cough::
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up