THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 23:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Country: Apologies and Gifts  (Read 35582 times)

Sideways

Your Country: Apologies and Gifts
« on: 10 Nov 2005, 13:40 »

Musical contributions from your Country, to the world, that you feel you should apologize for... and others which you feel you should be proud of.

I am personally very sorry for Avril Levigne, and Celine Dion.

However I think we compensated with The Tragically Hip, Travis, Metric and the Barenaked Ladies.

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2005, 13:49 »

You also gave us The Holy Shroud, The Plan, North of America and Ion Dissonance. God bless Canada.

I hereby officially apologise for: Schnappi. First and foremost. Seriously, I can't express how sorry I am.
Also, Scooter, Rammstein, Nena and basically everything pop to ever come out of Germany. I can't think of anything remotely good in that case.

We did give you Can, Kraftwerk and ...er ... yeah. Metal bands. They might not be good, but they're decent enough. I can live with that.

I also apologize for Jamba/Jamster. While it's not music, it is originally from Germany and extremely annoying.

Sideways

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2005, 13:50 »

You gave us Rage, the greatest metal band ever.  Peavey Wagner, FTW!!

raquel

« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2005, 13:53 »

I apologize for Shania Twain... Her and Celine Dion are pretty much the least Canadian canadians I know of. Oh and also I paologize for Avril Lavigne and Simple Plan.

Feist and Broken Social Scene were definitely gifts.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2005, 13:54 »

I'm sorry for... well, a whole lot of things.

But America did give us Hendrix, the Doors, Iced Earth, and I'm sure there are more but I'm not really cognizant due to the painkillers I'm taking to get over the pain in my mouth right now.

Wisdom teeth suck.

And Rush is the best thing Canada ever did for the world. By far.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Sideways

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2005, 13:55 »

RUSH?!?!

You die now.

(Incidentally... I apologize for my Country having inflicted Rush on the world).

heretic

« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2005, 14:12 »

OK well no, rush is not the best thing to ever come from Canada, but i wouldn't consider them a hemorrhoid on the ass of rock.

RUMBLEMOOSE

« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2005, 14:13 »

Since America has crammed its music into every last corner of the earth since 1930, should the Americans break it down by region/scene/city/state?

I'm from New Hampshire. We haven't given you much big-time stuff apart from Aerosmith and Adam Sandler, and they both claim to be from Massachussetts so I guess I don't have to do much about that. I'll hand them off to the Mass folks.
However, you are very welcome to use our Dresden Dolls any time you like. And am I sorry about the Shaggs, or extremely smug about them?

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2005, 14:31 »

Quote from: Sideways
RUSH?!?!

You die now.

(Incidentally... I apologize for my Country having inflicted Rush on the world).

Yeah, well, you call Rage the best metal band ever. Therefore, you lose.

heretic

« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2005, 14:33 »

ZING!

jariku

« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2005, 14:54 »

I apologise for finnish ass biscuit metal (Impaled Nazarene, (post-Amok) Sentenced, Apocalyptica, Stratovarius, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Children Of Bodom, etc.).

I'm proud of finnish post-rock/prog (Circle, Kuusumun Profeetta/Moon Fog Prophet, Magyar Posse, This Empty Flow, (early) Wigwam, etc), non-bling hip-hop and old school doom metal (Reverend Bizarre, Garden Of Worm, etc).

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2005, 15:11 »

A lot of crap has come outta Canada, but a lot of good stuff come's from here too. I apoligize for Rush (EW!), Shawn Desmond (I don't know why I thought of him), the typical Canadian divas, Sum 41, Simple Plan, etc.

However good people from Canada: The Dears, DFA 1979, Metric, Broken Social Scene, Les George Leningrad, Hawsley Workman, Arts&Crafts records,  Warsaw Pack, Makeshift Heros, Planet Smashers, Leslie Feist, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Controller.Controller, The Organ and a bunch of other cool stuff.
I like the way you work it.

Se7en

« Reply #12 on: 10 Nov 2005, 15:42 »

Sorry about the spice girls. But look on the bright side, you forigners dont have to put up with the tabloid expliots of these increasingly attention starved slappers. I swear that geri haliwell is going to be the next jordan.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2005, 16:54 »

There are too many UK bands to praise, and even more to apologise for. But I feel my city owes you all an apology on behalf of The Kaiser Chiefs. We don't know how it happened, but as soon as we work it out we'll take steps. Serious steps. On the other hand, Gang Of Four were pretty great weren't they? And we gave you Canvas, Bilge Pump, Polaris and Fig 4.0 too, so on balance our cock-ups are outweighed by our successes.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

El Opium

« Reply #14 on: 10 Nov 2005, 17:27 »

hmm, now lets see I live in Iowa so sorry for slipknot and all that. Now who else from Iowa has anyone actually heard? Will Whitmore, Meth,n,Goats, Raccoo-oo-oon, that one generic hardcore band perhaps?...what?...no? Well then I guess the musical reputation of my state sucks.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #15 on: 10 Nov 2005, 17:33 »

Idaho, huh? all I gots is Paul Revere and the Raiders and Built to Spill, so you're welcome.

I appologise for Mad Ro, if you've ever heard them, I appologise doubly.
also israel

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #16 on: 10 Nov 2005, 18:30 »

Sorry about The Vines, Human Nature, anyone who came off neighbours or home and away or those idol shows. Anyone remember that girl who got hoisted up and swung around during the opening ceremony of the 2000 olympics? She released an album, I am so, so sorry.

But we gave you guys Nick Cave, Custard, ACDC, AiH, Bodyjar, The Herd, The Whitlams, early Silverchair. Also, Radio Birdman.

Hell most of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_musicians">these should be at least not bad.

[edit]Also sorry for 30 odd foot of grunt; Russel Crowe's band.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #17 on: 10 Nov 2005, 18:44 »

Quote from: jariku
I apologise for finnish ass biscuit metal (Impaled Nazarene, (post-Amok) Sentenced, Apocalyptica, Stratovarius, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Children Of Bodom, etc.).

I think I hate you.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Schmendrick

« Reply #18 on: 10 Nov 2005, 19:17 »

I'm sorry for Avril Lavigne, Sum 41 and Sugar Jones... oh I'm so sorry.

But I give you the gift of Alexisonfire. Tra la la.

Micolithe

« Reply #19 on: 10 Nov 2005, 20:19 »

New Jersey:
THE BAD
My Chemical Romance
Thursday

THE GOOD
Bruce Springsteen
The Smithereens

Yeah we haven't done anything decent since the 80's, I'll admit it.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #20 on: 10 Nov 2005, 21:41 »

I'll also apologise for Good Charlotte and Alexisonfire from Canada.

But hey, no one from Canada has mentioned the gifts of The New Pronographers, Sloan, Zumpano, The Arcade Fire, The Guess Who, Neil Young, or Wolf Parade yet, so I'll throw them on to Canada's gems.

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #21 on: 10 Nov 2005, 22:24 »

I'll apologize for Garbage, from my hometown of Madison, WI.

Canada has godspeed, which makes up for just about anything crappy they can possibly throw at us. Except Celine Dion. No forgiveness there.

peep101

Re: Your Country: Apologies and Gifts
« Reply #22 on: 10 Nov 2005, 23:55 »

Quote from: Sideways
However I think we compensated with The Tragically Hip, Travis, Metric and the Barenaked Ladies.

That can't be the same Travis from Scotland that preempted Coldplay's sincere crapness.  I guess I'd better apologise for them and Texas, Wet Wet Wet  and any other MOR band that is vaguely linked to Scotland.

As a gift I give you several members (argueably the most important ones) of The Beta Band, Mogwai, Arab Strap, The Cocteau Twins, Ewan Pearson's contribution to remixing and Optimo; both the best nightclub and DJs in the world (or at least the UK).

dessa

« Reply #23 on: 11 Nov 2005, 03:27 »

i apolgize for the veronica's, all the grinspoon albums since 2000, vanessa amorosi, ben lee, anthony callea, any australian rap group, pretty much a whole lot of crap.
but we did create, eskimo joe, something for kate, early powderfinger, early grinspoon, arcitecture in helsinki, as well as heaps of other good stuff.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #24 on: 11 Nov 2005, 03:38 »

Quote from: dessa
any australian rap group

There's a whole lotta people gonna be angry with you 'bout that!

Anyway, screw the rest of the world, Australia created the Go-Betweens.  Also the Saints (while Ed Kuepper was still a member, anyway).  And a whole bunch of other bands that too few people outside Australia have heard of (such as the Underground Lovers, the Cruel Sea, the Sharp - well, their second album at least).  Oh, and the Dirty fucken' Three.

This more than makes up for Kylie Minogue.

Not so sure whether it makes up for Danniiiiininiinnniniiiiii Minogue, though . . .

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #25 on: 11 Nov 2005, 03:40 »

being from California, i would like to apologize for the monster of mediocre rock music that Green Day has become, as well as Goldfinger, Finch, Avenged Sevenfold, Weezer's last three albums, Korn, Linkin Park, etc.  however, i think The Aquabats, Jawbreaker, Mike Park, Jets to Brazil, Agent Orange, The Adolescents, Descendents, Throw Rag, Del tha Funky Homosapien and a bunch of other bands/artists i'm sure i'm forgetting do/did their part in helping to heal the wounds.

and while we're on the subject, i'd like to thank the country of Canada for providing The Weakerthans, The Planet Smashers, and Chris Murray.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #26 on: 11 Nov 2005, 05:27 »

Quote from: Inlander

Like me!

More gifts to the world: The Herd, Hilltop Hoods, TZU, Resin Dogs, 1200 Techniques, Hermitude, Downsyde.

We, the people of Australia would also like to apologise for that Joel Turner guy.

Also, big ups to Canada for having awesome music*.

*provided they apologise for Bryan Adams.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #27 on: 11 Nov 2005, 05:42 »

Canada gave us all The Swarm. There's no way you can sin enough to negate that, so feel safe Canadians. And you Australians gave us Halo, so you should feel all warm inside about that.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #28 on: 11 Nov 2005, 06:03 »

Gifts: Under Byen, The Raveonettes(at least Chain Gang of Love), Efterklang, Mew, Kitty Wu, Jomi Massage, Figurines, Malk de Koijn, Powersolo, Tiger Tunes and Wäldchengarten.

Apologies for: Aqua, S.O.A.P, DJ Alligator, Safri Duo, Bent Fabric, Outlandish(for their horrid cover of Aicha) countless shitty pop bands and most of all Cartoons and Michael Learns to Rock.
Though if it's any excuse they are virtually unknown in Denmark, it's the asians who are sucking it up.

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #29 on: 11 Nov 2005, 09:22 »

the notwist are a german band too.
i don't know them enough to decide whether i should apologize or not...

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #30 on: 11 Nov 2005, 09:36 »

I apologise for...well, Coldplay since they offend so many people.

In return I give the gift of The Beatles, Pink Floyd, David Bowie...
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #31 on: 11 Nov 2005, 14:57 »

Sorry, world, for Coldplay, Bloc Party, Kaiser Chiefs, Snow Patrol, Radiohead, and basically every other soul-searingly boring 'rock' band of the 90's. Also, brit-pop, fuck was that stuff shit! (And, to the Gallagher brothers, it still is). Also, sorry for chav rap bands (except Goldie Lookin' Chain, GLC4LYFE!) pretty much every major 'urban' artist this country has ever produced, busted, McFly, and all that endless, endless multiplicity of emo and screamo and whatever the fuck-else-o that seems to be pouring out of the South of England and Wales nowadays. I hate and loathe it all.

To compensate, Skyclad (the greatest band in the world), Hawkwind, The Sisters of Mercy, Iron Maiden, Forefather, Bal-Sagoth, The Anti-Nowhere League, Judas Priest, Vampire Division, Fields of the Nephilim, Pink Floyd, Sol Invictus, Centurions Ghost, Zombina and the Skeletones, Psychic TV, Ewigkeit, Bauhaus, Tan-Hauser Gate, Coil, Inkubus Sukkubus, My Dying Bride, Gorerotted, Deep Purple, Electric Wizard, Jeff Wayne, Killing Miranda, The Meads of Asphodel, Adam & the Ants, Queen Adreena, DragonForce, The Inbreds, UK Subs, Saxon, Genesis, Current 93, Whitehouse, Culture Club, Motorhead, The Beatles, Siouxsie and the Banshees, old Cradle of Filth, Throbbing Gristle, Yes, Orange Goblin, This Mortal Coil, Death in June, Iron Monkey, Black Sabbath, The Clan Destined, Joy Division, Cathedral, Napalm Death, Overlord...Basically, an over-large slice of planet earths allocation of decent shit.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #32 on: 11 Nov 2005, 15:44 »

Khar, you forgot Led Zeppelin.

But yeah, Britain > pretty much every other country as far as music is concerned.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #33 on: 11 Nov 2005, 15:47 »

Pretty crazy: the moment I saw that you had repsonded and clicked on the thread title, but before I posted the post, I thought 'Shit, I forgot Led Zeppelin'.

I forgot Sabbat, The Cure, Pariah, etc. etc. as well.

Listing all good British musics is unpossible!
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

La Creme

« Reply #34 on: 11 Nov 2005, 20:36 »

SoCal

Hate us, we gave you so many pop stars it is not even funny...

Love us, we gave you Oingo Boingo.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #35 on: 11 Nov 2005, 20:46 »

Dude, Los Angeles gave the world X.  That makes up for almost anything.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #36 on: 11 Nov 2005, 20:49 »

I am so, so sorry for Sum 41. Really, there are no words.

But at least we Torontonians smartened up a bit and gave you Broken Social Scene, too.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

lastclearchance

• Furry furrier
« Reply #37 on: 11 Nov 2005, 20:49 »

Connecticut!

Apologies: John Mayer, Dashboard Confessional

Special Apologies: Brooklyn hipsters. Let's be honest. They don't call 'em "trust fund babies" for nothing. And all the ones that didn't come from Westchester came from good old Fairfield County, CT.
zekterellium: was kant the guy, that if you thought you were doing the right thing, even if you were feeding sailors to werewolves, then it was the right thing?
Moiche: Err. . . .no I think that's Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

dessa

« Reply #38 on: 11 Nov 2005, 23:57 »

Quote from: McTaggart
Quote from: Inlander

Like me!

More gifts to the world: The Herd, Hilltop Hoods, TZU, Resin Dogs, 1200 Techniques, Hermitude, Downsyde.

We, the people of Australia would also like to apologise for that Joel Turner guy.

Also, big ups to Canada for having awesome music*.

*provided they apologise for Bryan Adams.

i'd rather shoot myself in the head then have to live a life of listening to 1200 techniques and hilltop hoods

Bunnyman

« Reply #39 on: 12 Nov 2005, 00:58 »

Well, us Americans have a lot of apologies to make.

But first, we must take credit for most major genres - Jazz, Rock (even if the brits did it better), Funk, and, hell, House, Hip-Hop, etc...

However, living half an hour from Berkeley I do feel an existential pang to know that The Gilman spawned Green Day.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #40 on: 12 Nov 2005, 03:08 »

Quote from: dessa
all the grinspoon albums since 2000

Oh god. SECOND

Not about the rap though. I have a warm place in my heart for the hoods, and I will kill anyone who badmouths the Resin Dogs, even though they're not rap at all, really.

I guess I should apologize for John Farnam as well. Seriously. I'm so sorry. You can punch me in the junk if it will make you feel better.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #41 on: 12 Nov 2005, 06:43 »

reading that dragonforce thread reminded me: blind guardian is a german band, right?

so once more it's up to you to decide...

tragic

« Reply #42 on: 12 Nov 2005, 07:17 »

i apologise for the beatles.
but we gave you carcass.

Hairy Joe Bob

• FIGHT YOU
  • shame machine
    • Pete Strong - Writer & Artist
« Reply #43 on: 12 Nov 2005, 07:27 »

I apologise for Boyzone, for Westlife, for Bewitched, for Ronan Keating. I feel really fucking bad about the Corrs. and you know I'm sick with regret over 90s U2. For all the twee plastic Paddy shit we've unleashed over the years - I'm just so fucking sorry!

then again we did give you 80s U2, Thin Lizzy, Ash, the Frames and Therapy?

So I feel slightly better.
What thou lovest well remains,
the rest is dross.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #44 on: 12 Nov 2005, 07:27 »

Kansas: I apologize for the Get up kids. and we really don't have anything else to repay that. Pity.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #45 on: 12 Nov 2005, 08:09 »

Quote from: ImRonBurgundy?
being from California, i would like to apologize for the monster of mediocre rock music that Green Day has become, as well as Goldfinger, Finch, Avenged Sevenfold, Weezer's last three albums, Korn, Linkin Park, etc.  however, i think The Aquabats, Jawbreaker, Mike Park, Jets to Brazil, Agent Orange, The Adolescents, Descendents, Throw Rag, Del tha Funky Homosapien and a bunch of other bands/artists i'm sure i'm forgetting do/did their part in helping to heal the wounds.

Man, you gave us the whole San Francisco noise scene and the San Diego (post-) hardcore stuff, no need to worry.
I mean, we have The Flying Luttenbachers (though they are originally from Chicago they are no SF based, so they count), Burmese, The Locust, Heroin, Mohinder, Drive Like Jehu, Rocket From The Crypt and the list goes on....

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #46 on: 12 Nov 2005, 08:35 »

Quote from: tragic

WHAT?!

lastclearchance

• Furry furrier
« Reply #47 on: 12 Nov 2005, 08:45 »

Quote from: Kai
Kansas: I apologize for the Get up kids. and we really don't have anything else to repay that. Pity.

Why not give us early Get Up Kids, and apologize for later Get Up Kids?

Or take credit for your neighbors in Nebraska. Saddle Creek= plenty of giving and apologizing.
zekterellium: was kant the guy, that if you thought you were doing the right thing, even if you were feeding sailors to werewolves, then it was the right thing?
Moiche: Err. . . .no I think that's Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #48 on: 12 Nov 2005, 08:56 »

Cursive is pretty awesome. No need to apologize.
Bright Eyes is.. tolerable.
The rest is not so good.

tragic

« Reply #49 on: 12 Nov 2005, 09:11 »

Quote from: ephemere
Quote from: tragic

WHAT?!

¬_¬
you heard me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up