THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 11:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Country: Apologies and Gifts  (Read 36342 times)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Your Country: Apologies and Gifts
« Reply #100 on: 24 Nov 2005, 06:53 »

@Loyalpeon: What do you mean Romania has nothing to apologise for? Manele!
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Aphi

« Reply #101 on: 24 Nov 2005, 11:33 »

Well, since I live(d) in Niagara Falls, I'll cover St. Catherines, too, which is a twenty minute drive. Hell, I'll cover Burlington also.

I apologize for Alexisonfire. I really do. I remember when they played basements, and guess what? They sucked /then/, too.

However, I'll say that we gave you the Pettit Project; geeky, fun, dork-heads who sing geekrock. Not to be taken seriously. We also gave you the Trews(or we'll share them with the Maritimes.). Hell, why not cover Ontario? We also gave you Metric.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #102 on: 24 Nov 2005, 23:08 »

Quote from: SpacemanSpiff
You also gave us The Holy Shroud, The Plan, North of America and Ion Dissonance. God bless Canada.

yes.  thank you.

oh, and IL is sorry for Fallout Boy.

Dirk

« Reply #103 on: 28 Nov 2005, 03:23 »

i'm from belgium ... the bad things are soooo bad they don't get out of belgium! ;-)
On the other hand: we got many great bands that don't make it in europe or the world because they don't get pushed by record companies.

but, if you had the bad luck the following bands..., i apologize ...plastic bertrand, soeur sourire, belgian (euro)house music. Apparently we invented new wave (i'm sorry)  

and maybe you had the luck to encounter:
2 many dj's / soulwax, dEUS, Evil Superstars, Jacques Brel, Admiral Freebee, Ozark Henry, Millionaire, ...

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
« Reply #104 on: 28 Nov 2005, 15:07 »

Oh My God I apologize for Simple Plan, I mean I'm really sorry that was bad. But Death From Above 1979, Arcade Fire, Weakerthans, and many more groups of goodness. But really Simple Plan is fucking terrible.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #105 on: 28 Nov 2005, 15:08 »

Quote from: Aphi

I apologize for Alexisonfire. I really do. I remember when they played basements, and guess what? They sucked /then/, too.

You goddamn should be. You know what really sucks? having a friend who adores the shit out of them.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

sjbrot

« Reply #106 on: 28 Nov 2005, 17:59 »

I might be missing something here, but what's the problem with Alexisonfire? I thought that Watch Out! was stellar.

ayePod

« Reply #107 on: 28 Nov 2005, 18:25 »

TALKING HEADS

Nuff said.

rive gauche

« Reply #108 on: 28 Nov 2005, 18:53 »

Are you apologising for the Talking Heads?

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #109 on: 28 Nov 2005, 19:04 »

If you are, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to kill you. I will take them graciously as gifts, however.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

ayePod

« Reply #110 on: 28 Nov 2005, 19:18 »

No,no,no. I am taking credit for David Byrnes genius.

I LOVE TALKING HEADS.

theenginedriver

« Reply #111 on: 28 Nov 2005, 19:25 »

david byrne!!!

the love of my life....

i am so thankful.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #112 on: 28 Nov 2005, 20:30 »

Quote from: a pack of wolves
Ah, cool. I was interested because my friend Will writes for that bit of Stylus, or maybe edits it, I forget. And he does love the dodgy pop, even made me sit through a Girls Aloud record once...

The only one whose last name I can remember is Will Swygart, the editor. But if memory serves they both love the dodgy pop.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #113 on: 29 Nov 2005, 08:01 »

That's him, lovely bloke despite the wonky pop appreciation. He makes up for it with his enjoyment of the Rogers Sisters and Melt-Banana though.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Tinjessla

« Reply #114 on: 29 Nov 2005, 08:26 »

My hometown of Birmingham gave the world ELO (although that may be seen as a bad thing by some), Kelli Ali the lead singer of the Sneaker Pimps, The Moody Blues, The Streets, Nick Drake, a little bit of Pink Floyd in the form of Nick Mason, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin.

However i apologise profusely for UB40, Duran Duran, Jamelia and Ocean Colour Scene.

As for Hull..well i don't know any good bands which have come from here, but i will apologise for the shitty Libertines rip off of a band, The Paddingtons. They are apparently "The Next Big Thing!!!!!" according to NME type press.

icancook

« Reply #115 on: 29 Nov 2005, 15:42 »

I didn't have time to read them all, but somone from the states should really...REALLY apologize for Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera.

On behalf of Norway, I would like to apologize for our country singers, such as Arly Karlsen, which is...scarely enough...very popular in the states.

Tho' I think we can be proud of artists such as Maria Mena, Madrugada and Ane Brun.

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #116 on: 30 Nov 2005, 05:23 »

Don't forget Heidi Hauge ;)
Though to be fair we have our own share of awful country singers, one of them called Wenche. Who knows where she got that from, it's not even a danish name.

loyalpeon

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #117 on: 01 Dec 2005, 01:41 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
@Loyalpeon: What do you mean Romania has nothing to apologise for? Manele!

Yee Gods! How in the name of Ughthor have you heard of Manele?! I thought it was a perfectly isolated phenomenon that we as a culture had managed to stiffle at the limits of our borders.

Well, considering you have heard of them (I take it you have a Romanian friend or are just too curious for your own good), I profusely apologise to you for any loss of sanity you may have suffered as a result.

Having said that, 0.000000001% of them are good :).
So I gave the cookies you made to Fawn and the kids, and they couldn't believe it. They were delicious. But I digress... Tremble, puny Earthlings! One day my race will destroy you all!

zmeiat_joro

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #118 on: 01 Dec 2005, 02:28 »

Ignorance is bliss. You've never been to Bulgaria, Serbia, Greece or Turkey and you have no idea of the myriad of related genres? Reportedly late-90's-style Bulgarian pop-folk (maybe the most annoying of these genres; I even somewhat enjoy the more "traditional" chalga; neither of these has anything much to do with folk music, btw; I think pop-folk was coined after the Serbian turbofolk - which (or the kind of music that gave birth to it; in Serbia itself it seems to refer more to the early 90's turbofolk) was popular in the 80's; how that name came about I don't know) has been somewhat popular in places like Italy and Spain.
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

icancook

« Reply #119 on: 01 Dec 2005, 10:43 »

Quote from: Praeserpium Machinarum
Don't forget Heidi Hauge ;)

Oh, yes, thanks for reminding me. Sorry! So, SO sorry!

Snail of Doom

• Emoticontraindication
    • http://jacksonart.clickopolis.net/
« Reply #120 on: 01 Dec 2005, 12:53 »

On behalf of Texas

I apologize for Bowling for Soup (I like them, most hate them)

I give you Lyle Lovett

"Just remember that's a bear there, having lunch with you..."

Edit: I'm aware Texas isn't a country (anymore), but people have been representing their states as well as countries it seems.
"That day I became a warrior with no enemy
Now I am that funky soldier and I shall be free"

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #121 on: 02 Dec 2005, 20:01 »

Quote from: loyalpeon

Well, considering you have heard of them (I take it you have a Romanian friend or are just too curious for your own good), I profusely apologise to you for any loss of sanity you may have suffered as a result.

I once got into a discussion with a metalhead from transylvania about the worthless human scum that surrounded us in our various countries. We swapped stories of Manele and Blazin' Squad, and were both appropriately cowed.

And, forgive me if I'm totally on the wrong-end of the stick, but isn't a considerable amount of turbofolk nationalist to some extent? I thought it was almost Milosovic's own version of Yugorock.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #122 on: 02 Dec 2005, 20:23 »

Using Kid Modernist's Wikipedia article:

Gifts:
Jefferson Airplane
Janis Joplin
The Doors
Captain Beefheart
Black Flag
Dead Kennedys
Social Distortion
Faith No More
Exodus
Testament
Megadeth

Apologies:
Motley Crue
Poison
Slayer
Green Day (so very, very sorry)
Hole

Metallica I wasn't sure what to do with: they had 4 pretty fucking solid albums and then 3 pieces of absolute shit, with one that was a mix of both. Make up your own mind about that one.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #123 on: 02 Dec 2005, 20:28 »

And why are you apologising for slayer again? Seriously, they've gone to the dogs, but it'll be a long time before they completely fuck over their 80's legacy.

Nosve

« Reply #124 on: 02 Dec 2005, 20:37 »

I'm originally from Minnesota. Things don't tend to get out of the state these days...

Gifts: Halloween Alaska, Atmosphere, Tiki Obmar (from my high school!), the Honeydogs, Mark Mallman, G.B. Leighton
Apologies: That Semisonic's "Closing Time" and the Jayhawks' "Save It For a Rainy Day" got so damn overplayed. Hey, they're like our only hits...

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #125 on: 02 Dec 2005, 20:42 »

And why are you apologising for slayer again? Seriously, they've gone to the dogs, but it'll be a long time before they completely fuck over their 80's legacy.

Because they're so appallingly unoriginal. Seriously, all the songs on Reign In Blood are nearly identical. And Kerry King is terrible.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Not An Addict

« Reply #126 on: 02 Dec 2005, 22:41 »

I apologize for the Barenaked Ladies, now and forever the worst band in the history of music.

"But what about--" No. The Barenaked Ladies are worse.

sjbrot

« Reply #127 on: 02 Dec 2005, 23:22 »

Quote from: Nosve
I'm originally from Minnesota.

Then I would like to personally thank you for the scene that allowed Prince to go and check out Husker Du.

And why are the Barenaked Ladies the worst band ever? They aren't my favorites, but...

zmeiat_joro

« Reply #128 on: 03 Dec 2005, 05:30 »

And, forgive me if I'm totally on the wrong-end of the stick, but isn't a considerable amount of turbofolk nationalist to some extent? I thought it was almost Milosovic's own version of Yugorock.

I wouldn't know, I would only recognise maybe two or three songs and I don't know Serbian, and I've always just assumed it was the same nonsense, discgustingly kitsch lyrics, about love or whatever, but always annoying as hell, they have in pop-"folk" and that thing we here just call "Greek music", but they call laïka in Greece. Anyway, back to the Serbs, come to think of it, a popular performer, Tsetsa Velichkovich was married (or so they said on the news when he got wasted, apparently it was an important enough event) to this paramilitary war criminal/mafia boss/whatever, I'm sure the Serbs must have a word for it :D

zmeiat_joro

« Reply #129 on: 03 Dec 2005, 06:42 »

By country, as far as I know, and I could very easily be wrong, as I mostly don't really like these, except maybe some chalga:
Romania has only manele, which is semi-traditional* and similar to chalga in Bulgaria, where it is less "traditional" that in it is in Romania. Bulgaria also has pop-"folk"*, which in the early 90's was influeced by the Serbian sound (as far as I know Serbia doesn't have styles similar to chalga or manele), as was laïka in Greece.

As for the sociological significance of these styles and their substyles, one could probably write a book about it... One thing I can say is that the fact that Romania has only one such style could be attributed to the unparaleled polarisation of society there, and anyone who doesn't want to be associated with manele there attempts to emulate a "western"-like sound, thus O-zone and such abominations. The case with Serbia is different as there turbofolk is not associated with the lower class, actually I don't know if you can talk about classes in Serbia at all, it's pretty much a kleptocracy.
The situations in Bulagria and Greece are different and well, more fuzzy.

*And of course, the various genres of actual Bulgarian folk music are completely unrelated to any of the genres we discuss here. Actually there's a lot more variation between Bulgarian folk genres that it is between these here; all these are practically the same genre in comparison. I even feel a bit dirty  mentioning them in the same post, but I needed to make clear that the use of folk in their names is criminal.

Mr. Oysterhead

« Reply #130 on: 03 Dec 2005, 08:41 »

Philadelphia apologizes for Will Smith + DJ Jazzy Jeff (their music, not the show), Young Gunz, Boyz II Men, Eve, Pink and The Bloodhoung Gang. Man so much crappy rap out of Philadelphia.

But we DID give you Joan Jett, Stanley Clarke, G. Love and Special Sauce, the Disco Biscuits, and Schoolly D.

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #131 on: 03 Dec 2005, 09:28 »

Aren't the Roots from Philadelphia, that's gotta count for something :)

Mr. Oysterhead

« Reply #132 on: 03 Dec 2005, 09:45 »

Quote from: Praeserpium Machinarum
Aren't the Roots from Philadelphia, that's gotta count for something :)

Yeah they are, but I wasn't sure which side to put them on. I don't mind them but I'm not sure about the rest of these folks.

RUMBLEMOOSE

« Reply #133 on: 03 Dec 2005, 10:26 »

Quote from: Nosve
Minnesota

I'll also thank you for Low, Lifter Puller and the Dillinger Four if you don't mind.

(I actually can't remember if any other Minnesotans have mentioned those yet)

Der Golem

• http://www.ihavenowebsite.com
« Reply #134 on: 03 Dec 2005, 14:06 »

Icelands gifts; Sigurrós and Mugison would be the only ones I know to be sold anywhere outside Island. But if you have heard of Anubis, nevolution, We Made God or Hera those are pretty decent too.

And I'm sorry for anything pop that ever came out of Iceland. As well as Björk, fuck Björk.

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #135 on: 03 Dec 2005, 15:00 »

While I might be the only one here, I am also thankful for Mínus. Good job, Iceland.

Also, good job on creating more artists of international importance (that's: with 250.000 inhabitants) than Germany (with around 80 million inhabitants). Seriously, that's awesome. It also means that Germany sucks, but we already know that.

Reno

« Reply #136 on: 03 Dec 2005, 16:19 »

While everything I can think of Canadian has been apologized for, I must again beg forgiveness for Bryan Adams.....I do think that he is counteracted by David Bowie though.  

Other Canadian gifts, the Organ, Lucy Psychosis (though now disbanded) and La Belle Orchestra.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #137 on: 03 Dec 2005, 16:22 »

Also, good job on creating more artists of international importance (that's: with 250.000 inhabitants) than Germany (with around 80 million inhabitants).

What.

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #138 on: 03 Dec 2005, 16:33 »

Also, good job on creating more artists of international importance (that's: with 250.000 inhabitants) than Germany (with around 80 million inhabitants).

What.

Hmm... okay, maybe, given the sheer numbers, Germany might win (we're talking about stuff that gets aired on MTV in, say, the US). But then have a look at the population/artist ratio. Iceland wins.
It's not as much that Germany as such doesn't spawn artists that are internationally successful, it's just that of the top of my head, I could think 7 artists that got quite a bit of international recognition and hail from Iceland and given Iceland's population is basically a bit more than my hometown's population, I'm starting to ask myself whether my hometown has spawned any internationally respected artists. The answer is "no".
Seriously, I find Iceland's creative output stunning.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #139 on: 03 Dec 2005, 16:36 »

Yeah, it's a nice place. But I think you're over-estimating the exposure of a lot of Icelandic groups. I mean, are we talking about current or all-time?

Because, dude. Kraftwerk.

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #140 on: 03 Dec 2005, 16:51 »

Yeah, I'm aiming more at current times. Or, well, the last 10 to 15 years too.

If you take a bigger timescale, sure, Can, Kraftwerk.

And if take an even bigger timescale, Germany totally kicks ass. I mean, come on now, Bach, Beethoven, Wagner, Brahms, you name it.

Der Golem

• http://www.ihavenowebsite.com
« Reply #141 on: 03 Dec 2005, 18:32 »

Germany wins because of Kompressor. This is a fact.

chrysalidigm

« Reply #142 on: 13 Dec 2005, 08:00 »

i have a theory that the nastier the weather in a place, the better the music should be. this is why iceland, scotland, canada, minnesota and scandanavia all make reasonably nice music. they can't go outside, because it's too cold, so they stay in and work on music. or it gets too hot, so you stay in. why more bands aren't basing themselves in equatorial guinea or swaziland is beyond me.

i have nothing that you guys would have heard of to add. aih, nick cave, dirty three and so forth have all been said.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #143 on: 13 Dec 2005, 17:10 »

Quote from: Mr. Oysterhead
the Disco Biscuits

<3 <3 <3 <3 The Disco Biscuits. Seriously, they are simpyl amazing and more people need to listen to them.

rive gauche

« Reply #144 on: 14 Dec 2005, 15:25 »

Quote from: Der Golem
And I'm sorry for anything pop that ever came out of Iceland. As well as Björk, fuck Björk.

:( I will accept Björk as a gift, and hug her and love her forever.

I have a new Canadian band to add to my Gifts list: Burdocks!! Soooo good.

http://www.myspace.com/theburdocks

Listen to "Turn the Century".

surgerydrugsnrocknroll

« Reply #145 on: 14 Dec 2005, 16:10 »

i bring to you from so-cal,
-cattle decapitation
-the locust
-nile

and i apologize for
-avenged sevenfold
-as i lay dying

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #146 on: 14 Dec 2005, 17:01 »

You know, if my town spawned Avenged Sevenfold, I think I'd have one more thing to put on my list of "reasons to kill myself".

Also, You guys gave the world Mr. Bungle, if I'm correct. And I think Buckethead, but I'm not really sure.

surgerydrugsnrocknroll

« Reply #147 on: 14 Dec 2005, 18:14 »

Quote from: Kai
You know, if my town spawned Avenged Sevenfold, I think I'd have one more thing to put on my list of "reasons to kill myself".

Also, You guys gave the world Mr. Bungle, if I'm correct. And I think Buckethead, but I'm not really sure.

well, luckily, im not from the actual town which spawned avenged sevenfold,
i live in vista, which is somewhat near san diego(1 hour) and about 2 hours from hunnington beach(where a7x come from),but i dont think ANY bands have come out of vista.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #148 on: 15 Dec 2005, 01:03 »

I hereby officially apologise for: Schnappi. First and foremost. Seriously, I can't express how sorry I am.

HAHAHAHAHAHA apology accepted mate.

Personally, (I'm originally from the States but I just LIVE in Luxembourg) I apologize for the ENTIRE FUCKING EMO SCENE.

But coming from Northern California, I give you Cake. Everybody loves Cake. And if they don't they do not have any taste buds. Er... ears?
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

daviesmatt

« Reply #149 on: 15 Dec 2005, 03:53 »

We gave you Charlotte Church, the Stereophonics, lostprophets and Funeral for a Friend.

But then to make up for it we also gave you the Super Furry Animals and Mclusky, which in my eyes make up for almost anything.

Cymru Am Byth!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up