THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 12:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ask Jeph thread  (Read 1193548 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: The Ask Jeph thread
« Reply #1650 on: 26 Feb 2009, 07:08 »

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Mallli_kite

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Being Different, just like everybody else.
« Reply #1651 on: 26 Feb 2009, 08:15 »

then

Ok, so mine isn't the only broken mind in this place.  I'm not sure I find any comfort in that.
I have nothing to say, but that's never stopped me.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #1652 on: 26 Feb 2009, 08:24 »

As requested, not a question, but an answer.

No, I've not heard of Cute Overload. Since you asked, my rock is, or was, I suppose, located very near the center of Mississippi. Thank you for overturning it* and exposing me, naked, pallid, and squirming, to the harsh glare of the overly cute. Fortunately, I was able to find it only moderately cute, and so survived. Barely. The damned Bunn-O-Meter almost got me, but, luckily, the stupid pommy and ugly-ass sea lion saved my sanity, and my crotchetiness.

*Of course I clicked the link. This is the Internets. God forbid I should be thinking before I'm clicking.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Mallli_kite

« Reply #1653 on: 26 Feb 2009, 08:33 »

Thank you for overturning it* and exposing me, naked, pallid, and squirming, to the harsh glare of the overly cute.

Careful there, crab apple, you'll get folks all excited ;)

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #1654 on: 26 Feb 2009, 09:51 »

When did this become SexyDads.org Official Message Board (I'm taking a screenshot just in case) or did my mind break and I missed it?

Jeph tends to mod the forum names when he's been drinking.  Personally I find it hilarious.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #1655 on: 27 Feb 2009, 00:15 »

yeah it is a thing i do
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Mallli_kite

« Reply #1656 on: 27 Feb 2009, 07:34 »

yeah it is a thing i do

It's your forum, you can do whatever you like...but ow!

Also, in the same vein, I thought this might create an interesting *ahem* conversation :)

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2009/02/26/10-things-to-remember-about-authors/
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2009, 09:30 by Mallli_kite »

Zingoleb

« Reply #1657 on: 01 Mar 2009, 11:48 »

Why, Jeph? Why?

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1658 on: 01 Mar 2009, 15:35 »

Because he has that power.

Also, if somebody's at work and minimizes a window before a boss walks by, what looks worse in their taskbar- "Questionable Content Forums," or "SexyDads.org Official Forum?"
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

slingstone

• Not quite a lurker
    • Seek Arete
« Reply #1659 on: 02 Mar 2009, 08:56 »

As happy as I am to see Steve again (particularly in such triumphant fashion), I can't say I'm not disappointed that you put Meena on a bus; it seems a tad out of character for both her and Perfect Dave.

I was wondering if you had any specific reason for getting rid of her.  Just getting the overall cast back to a more manageable size?  I suppose if we expanded Dr. Corrinne's yarn diagram, she would have only been connected to Steve anyway.

TheViscount

« Reply #1660 on: 02 Mar 2009, 19:58 »

I'm happy that Steve is back as well with some sort of a... story for his dissapearance, that was actually amusing.

Thank you Jeph, Thank you.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1661 on: 03 Mar 2009, 04:24 »

I wasn't asking him why he changes the name. I was just asking, y'know, why, in general.

Though now there is no point. You have ruined my life for me. I'm going to go have myself boiled to death.

Zingoleb

« Reply #1662 on: 03 Mar 2009, 09:38 »

P.S. is double posting ever a good idea, Jeph?

BrilliantEraser

• The German Chancellory building
  • We're kings among runaways
    • Brilliant Eraser Productions
« Reply #1663 on: 03 Mar 2009, 16:40 »

No.
Quote from: Khar
*bloop bloop bloop*

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #1664 on: 03 Mar 2009, 19:10 »

Sometimes.
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #1665 on: 03 Mar 2009, 19:11 »

Be careful not to overdo it though.
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1666 on: 03 Mar 2009, 20:23 »

Occasionally though, accidents will happen.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #1667 on: 03 Mar 2009, 20:24 »

Occasionally though, accidents will happen.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Eddurd

• Plantmonster
  • Over 25 years of drawing like crap!
    • "Everyday Heroes" comic
« Reply #1668 on: 03 Mar 2009, 22:39 »

OK, Jeph, been trying to contact you for a bit.

I sometimes do guest strips for Dan Mazur's "Palindramas".  Recently I started drawing a strip for Dan, and it just seemed to fit the personalities of Hannelore and Winslow.  I wanted to ask your permission to use them ... tried emailing you, didn't get an answer.

I finally posted the strip on the fan art forum (page 7, near the bottom).  The question(s) are, would you (A) allow us to use this as a guest strip over at "Palindramas" if we provide a link back to QC :-); (B) want to use this yourself as a QC guest strip; 8-) (C) send a large burly man to my house to punch me in the head for pestering you?  :cry:

Longtime fan,
Ed

Oh yeah dogg I ain't care if you borrow my characters. Just give credit where it is due and that is good enough!

It's finally up ... check it out,y'all.
http://www.webcomicsnation.com/danmazur/palindramas/series.php
I wouldn't want to belong to any organization that would accept someone like me as a member.

Fluxuation

• Plantmonster
    • http://www.myspace.com/andrew87part2
« Reply #1669 on: 04 Mar 2009, 21:46 »

so.. can you start selling real QC puppets?

madeofbees

« Reply #1670 on: 04 Mar 2009, 23:21 »

so.. can you start selling real QC puppets?

Agreed!

Tybalt

• Can't always unscramble eggs
« Reply #1671 on: 04 Mar 2009, 23:29 »

Do you feel that, since most people expect QC to be something, that you are restrained creatively in that way?  Or, had QC not existed, you would still be making essentially the same jokes?

Also

...and that's why I eat bugs.

The Joker

• Curry sauce
  • Why so serious?
« Reply #1672 on: 05 Mar 2009, 12:04 »

Would it be possible to start selling a "Statue LOL" poster like they have in Coffee of Doom?
They say the Joker is a wanted man...

Kaitydid08

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1673 on: 08 Mar 2009, 14:36 »

Agreed. The "Statue LOL" poster is awesome.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #1674 on: 08 Mar 2009, 18:59 »

Do you feel that, since most people expect QC to be something, that you are restrained creatively in that way?  Or, had QC not existed, you would still be making essentially the same jokes?

Also

Not really. Right now the main thing that restrains my creatively is my own poor drawing skills.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

BombTrak

« Reply #1675 on: 09 Mar 2009, 12:04 »

Okay, sorry for the interruption, but I would absolutely buy a shirt like the one Steve is wearing in todays comic...

It is fantastic!!

"...and all I got was this lousy t-shirt..."

:mrgreen:

Somethingfake

• Emoticontraindication
  • I want to inherit your eyebrows...
    • http://somethingfake.deviantart.com/
« Reply #1676 on: 09 Mar 2009, 17:44 »

Do you think it is possible for someone of Hanner's OCD to improve enough to the point of being able to function in this world or would it be to severe to help?
Quote from: Jeph
Snoopy lives in a fantasy world. Gromit is a dog who gets things done. Gromit would destroy Snoopy.

« Reply #1677 on: 09 Mar 2009, 22:46 »

You forget to change your clock?

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1678 on: 10 Mar 2009, 13:22 »

Do you own a time machine? If so, would you like to mount an expedition back to London, 1900, and beat William Willett to death with his own freakin' golf clubs? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #1679 on: 10 Mar 2009, 14:31 »

I was skimmin' through pictures on the Rooster Teeth website today, and one of the staff members has one up from Comic Con 08, and in the background there is a drawing hanging in the booth next to theirs that is very clearly Marten and somebody else.  Did you get a chance to meet the RT guys?  If so what were they like?
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2009, 23:09 by SilentJ »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #1680 on: 16 Mar 2009, 15:36 »

I hate to necropost, even if it's only been a couple of days, but I am really interested in knowing if you still do music outside of your Deathmole stuff. I mean, I really like the Deathmole stuff, but I remember a couple years ago you did this absolutely stunning song called "5 AM" or something like that (it was posted to your LJ), and I was completely blown away.

Also I don't think I've ever seen a complete list of your gear collection. I understand if you don't feel like showing off, but man, I could use a bit of GAS right now.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1681 on: 17 Mar 2009, 16:58 »

Jeph,

What would the artwork look like if you'd achieved all your goals for developing your art skills?

Hmm. That was a dumb question. You're an artist, so you'll always be looking for ways to improve and therefore it's meaningless to talk about meeting "all your goals".

Here's a rephrase. What are some examples out there of artists achieving the kinds of effects that you want to master? What's a panel that made you think "I want to be able to do that"?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #1682 on: 18 Mar 2009, 03:54 »

Do you think it is possible for someone of Hanner's OCD to improve enough to the point of being able to function in this world or would it be to severe to help?

Yes.

I was skimmin' through pictures on the Rooster Teeth website today, and one of the staff members has one up from Comic Con 08, and in the background there is a drawing hanging in the booth next to theirs that is very clearly Marten and somebody else.  Did you get a chance to meet the RT guys?  If so what were they like?

Yeah their booth is usually right next to ours so we've hung out. They are pretty nice.

I hate to necropost, even if it's only been a couple of days, but I am really interested in knowing if you still do music outside of your Deathmole stuff. I mean, I really like the Deathmole stuff, but I remember a couple years ago you did this absolutely stunning song called "5 AM" or something like that (it was posted to your LJ), and I was completely blown away.

Also I don't think I've ever seen a complete list of your gear collection. I understand if you don't feel like showing off, but man, I could use a bit of GAS right now.

Yeah I actually just uploaded a whole bunch of non-Deathmole stuff to last.fm, I will link it someplace eventually. I'm actually trying to get back into doing more indie-rock type music again, metal is fun but it's important to branch out!

Current full gear list (and this is shameful, SHAMEFUL I know, but it's also all I really spend my money on, and they're all investments anyway):

Guitars:

PRS Standard 24
PRS Mira Maple Top
PRS McCarty
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson Firebird
ESP Eclipse (their "Les Paul Copy With EMGs" model)
Ibanez Prestige RG
Old-ass Korean Stuart Spector Design bass

Right now the Les Paul, the Standard 24, and the ESP get the most action, but I rotate fairly regularly.

Amps:

Engl Fireball 60w head
MESA/Boogie Nomad 45w 4x10 combo
Broken MESA/Boogie Dual Rectifier  :cry: :cry: :cry:
MESA 4x12 cabinet
Carvin 4x12 cabinet

Software/Misc

Apple Logic Pro
A couple SM57s
boners
Line6 PODx3
Jeph,

What would the artwork look like if you'd achieved all your goals for developing your art skills?

Hmm. That was a dumb question. You're an artist, so you'll always be looking for ways to improve and therefore it's meaningless to talk about meeting "all your goals".

Here's a rephrase. What are some examples out there of artists achieving the kinds of effects that you want to master? What's a panel that made you think "I want to be able to do that"?

I mainly wish I was effortlessly good at figure drawing. There are no artists I'd really like to emulate, per se, but I'm really jealous of people like Meredith Gran and Bryan Lee O'Malley for the way they handle cartoony figures. Stupid people with honest to god art degrees!  :x

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1683 on: 18 Mar 2009, 05:24 »

question
answer that made me very very happy

Man, I can't wait to hear this stuff. I used to pretty much stalk your LJ looking for new things to listen to.

One more question, then I'll leave you alone. Do you ever plan on doing collaborative work with other people? I'd love to hear what would happen if you took all your stuff and put real drums in, maybe a singer if you're so inclined. Clearly you've got guitar and bass covered, heh.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #1684 on: 18 Mar 2009, 13:24 »

question
answer that made me very very happy

Man, I can't wait to hear this stuff. I used to pretty much stalk your LJ looking for new things to listen to.

One more question, then I'll leave you alone. Do you ever plan on doing collaborative work with other people? I'd love to hear what would happen if you took all your stuff and put real drums in, maybe a singer if you're so inclined. Clearly you've got guitar and bass covered, heh.

I'd love to have a real drummer, but he'd have to have his own recording setup because there is literally NOTHING MORE TEDIOUS than micing and recording live drums.

I have no idea if I could work with a singer. Certainly some of my songs would be better with vocals, but I'm kind of a dictator when it comes to my music so I'm not sure it would be super-fun for the other parties involved.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1685 on: 18 Mar 2009, 16:15 »

I hear you on the drums. My last gig, we spent something like an hour of our sound check (basically 3/4 of the sound check) just setting up the mics and the levels for the mics. And that was only 3 mics (a dedicated mic each for snare and bass, and an overhead for cymbals and toms). Still, you might get lucky. Here's hoping, man.

Totally saw your LJ today, and I was very much pleased. I am also a little pissed because your muse clearly works faster than mine. 30 minutes? Cue jealousy.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #1686 on: 18 Mar 2009, 16:42 »

My muse is highly variable, the song I did before that one took literally two months, off and on.

Thiefree

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • mostly gone
    • Thiefree.net
« Reply #1687 on: 19 Mar 2009, 14:37 »

Jeph,

What are your limits for unrealistic events in the QC universe?
You've said before that people sometimes get thrown by surreal events (such as monks fighting), which is odd since there are talking robots all over the place. I'd just like to know if you have any limits in mind, a sort of "I would never go that far" boundary?

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1688 on: 19 Mar 2009, 19:40 »

Never say 'never,' ever. If you ever say 'never,' you'll never say 'never,' ever, ever again.

Is 'snail' another word for 'vulva'? I only ask because, dammit, I don't get it, and this:http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=vulva

Since you and 'vulva' go back a bit, I wondered.

Random832

« Reply #1689 on: 20 Mar 2009, 10:19 »

Is 'snail' another word for 'vulva'? I only ask because, dammit, I don't get it, and this:http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=vulva

See the explanation on http://anderslovesmaria.reneengstrom.com/2008/07/07/174-chicago/ - which Jeph has said he was referencing.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1690 on: 20 Mar 2009, 11:11 »

Ah...I was so perplexed by the comic and disturbed by what I thought was going on (don't ask) that I missed the fine print.  So it is indeed vulva.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1691 on: 22 Mar 2009, 08:58 »

Jeph, when you started this comic in 2003, how did you expect it would turn out eventually?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #1692 on: 22 Mar 2009, 10:19 »

Jeph, why did you get rid of the raptor emoticon? Do you hate us?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #1693 on: 22 Mar 2009, 12:58 »

T-REX. Not raptor :x.
Ignorance like yours has taken it from all of us.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #1694 on: 22 Mar 2009, 13:19 »

T-REX. Not raptor :x.
Ignorance like yours has taken it from all of us. /pedantic
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Zingoleb

« Reply #1695 on: 23 Mar 2009, 01:23 »

Jeph,

Will you marry me?

(You may have to put up with a few idiosyncrasies, but it's nothing some Prozac would help)

UTAlan

• Plantmonster
  • Hookem Horns!
    • My QC Site
« Reply #1696 on: 23 Mar 2009, 09:02 »

Jeph, what do you enjoy more: making music or web comics?

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART
« Reply #1697 on: 23 Mar 2009, 15:01 »

Jeph, where does one line up for guest strip artist?

*duck and cover, duck and cover, duck and cover ... running running running running ...*
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1698 on: 23 Mar 2009, 21:44 »

Nah, nevermind. That's mean. I like you, Jeph.

Have you considered making an experimental new comic, since QC doesn't actually really seem to be your cup of tea in terms of your sense of humor elsewhere on the internet?
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2009, 21:53 by Ozymandias »
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #1699 on: 24 Mar 2009, 06:28 »

Jeph,

Will you marry me?

(You may have to put up with a few idiosyncrasies, but it's nothing some Prozac would help)

I think Cristi will be able to answer this one for you.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 49   Go Up