THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ask Jeph thread  (Read 1174438 times)

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Re: The Ask Jeph thread
« Reply #600 on: 16 Jul 2007, 19:02 »

It depends on your color settings, what program you're using, the quality of jpeg...lots of things.

My colors are bright 'cause I pick bright colors and use pngs. Since I don't do a lot of gradient shading it makes much more sense than saving as a jpeg.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Rambo.Turtle

« Reply #601 on: 16 Jul 2007, 20:14 »

Right now I'm a noob but I have a question which I really joined up on the forum to ask.
Have you read the U.S.A books by John Dos Pasos and did the character "Daughter" in anyway influence the personality of Faye? In the book Daughter is a texan girl who reacts violently to everyone she loves after her brother was killed in training to be a pilot in WW1. A lot of similarity's pop up but not to imply that you would plagiarize, it's just I was talking to someone if John Dos Pasos style and writing has influenced other people.
Really obscure question but something I wanted to find out. 

nursethalia

« Reply #602 on: 16 Jul 2007, 22:48 »

It depends on your color settings, what program you're using, the quality of jpeg...lots of things.

My colors are bright 'cause I pick bright colors and use pngs. Since I don't do a lot of gradient shading it makes much more sense than saving as a jpeg.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try using PNGs from now on and see if that helps!

HellPuppi

« Reply #603 on: 21 Jul 2007, 00:37 »

Hey Jeph.
I just wanted to say you are an awesome artist and every time me/my friends have run into you at comic-con you have been extraordinarily kind with our jibbering, so thank you for  doing QC and for the aforementioned kindness.
No it's not a question but I just wanted to say it. :-P

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #604 on: 21 Jul 2007, 18:17 »

Hey Jeph,

Now that Harry Potter is over, don't you think it's the duty of everyone who writes fiction to just accept that JK Rowling has them beat and lay down the pen?

It's time for Marten to die. Search your heart. You know it to be true.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

ChaoticEvil

« Reply #605 on: 22 Jul 2007, 08:09 »

Jeph. when are you going to answer us?

indianna_gurl

« Reply #606 on: 22 Jul 2007, 23:29 »

Jeph, sir, what is your favorite type of cake?  Also, do you have any food allergies of which your army of admirers should be aware?

Chrasstor

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • ?Four dollars and x amount of cents
« Reply #607 on: 25 Jul 2007, 19:00 »

How do you decide what to name your web-comic characters?

I'm just wondering, because, Raven's last name is Pritchard... Which is also my mother's maiden name(Prichard actually, but same difference). I guess my Maternal-Grandparents were born in Wales, though I'm Canadian. Kind'a a cool coincidence.

Do you just randomly pick names from a hat? Decide what sounds best? House of Names it?
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2007, 19:03 by Chrasstor »

WhyNot

• Plantmonster
« Reply #608 on: 03 Aug 2007, 04:45 »

With the news that QC is 4 years old and rapidly approaching the 1000 point (though should guest strips be counted?) has there been any discussion about publishing the QC strip in a book form like the folks over at Exploitation Now did?  Granted, they ended their run (and a phenominal web comic if you havene't read it) before they did it, but there's no reason the first 1000 QC couldn't be printed in a paperback form as volume 1 (or the first 500 as Vol. 1 followed by 501-1000 as Vol. 2) while the strip continues on.  Immortalize your work in print Jeph!  The book will sell and sell well.  Between comic book stores, gaming stores and conventions alone you'd recoup the cost.

Tony

PS.  Guest strips could have their own section/chapter at the back of the book so you wouldn't have to explain each time you took a small hiatus due to a convention, illness or real life in general.  Could even throw a few Indie Tits pages in as well.
Cole's Law:  Thinly Sliced Cabbage.

Niggrophage

« Reply #609 on: 04 Aug 2007, 00:49 »

Did Raven die in a fire or something? Where's she been?

Edit: I just realized she's been missing in action since #888. 52 comics. Damn.
« Last Edit: 04 Aug 2007, 00:56 by Niggrophage »

camelpimp

« Reply #610 on: 04 Aug 2007, 08:37 »

Dear Jeph:

Will you buy me a pony? Pleeeeaaaaseee?

adlingtont

« Reply #611 on: 05 Aug 2007, 16:11 »

Jeph,
If you were had three wishes what would they be?

underdog

« Reply #612 on: 09 Aug 2007, 20:15 »

What ever happened to Sara, Marten's original love interest and former COD employee?

teh pwn queen

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Capiam vos in obscurum
    • Just fucking click it
« Reply #613 on: 10 Aug 2007, 22:44 »

How do you find new "indie" music to listen to?  I never seem to be able to be on top of what's new and hip.
I haven't logged in on the forum in literally 10 years and my website URL was still my MySpace profile...

SteveAntilles

« Reply #614 on: 14 Aug 2007, 09:47 »

I'm new here, but this question has been plaguing me for a while. Back in one of the early strips there was a Year Book photo of Marten, which in the caption said he played Warhammer 40k. Now 40K is a pretty obscure reference unless someone has seen or played the game. So do/did you play the Warhammers? If so which army?

P.S. Just wanted to say I found your strip right around the VespAvenger plot line, and have been hooked ever since. I even went back and real through all the back comics, twice! You by far have the best web comic around and I would totally buy a copy of you ever put them into print form.

GuyIncognito

« Reply #615 on: 15 Aug 2007, 08:07 »

Hi Jeph, great comic man!!!

I'm a cute librarian (don't take my word for it - just look at my picture). Do you think there would be any chance I could convince Tai and her female "friends", to get it on with me?

scrubadub

• Plantmonster
« Reply #616 on: 15 Aug 2007, 08:17 »

What ever happened to Sara, Marten's original love interest and former COD employee?
I seem to remember reading that he axed her because he thought the character was boring in one of the little side panel comments that he does with each comic.

Phat Phungus

« Reply #617 on: 15 Aug 2007, 17:42 »

I seem to remember reading that he axed her because he thought the character was boring in one of the little side panel comments that he does with each comic.

"Q: What happened to Sara?
A: Eaten by an allosaurus. It was very sad. Actually she still works at the coffee shop, I just don't draw her anymore because she was kind of boring."

From FAQ section.

Divide by Zero

• Emoticontraindication
  • "On top of everything else, it's superficial."
« Reply #618 on: 21 Aug 2007, 10:44 »

I actually joined mostly to ask this question...

How much time has passed from the point of view of the characters since the strip started? I supposed I could go back and count the days the whole way through, but that would be time-consuming and irritating. I remember that the whole "Marten's mom gives him a week off" took over 100 strips or summat.
In another troubling note, U.S. intelligence sources report that Iran is developing "a gigantic rocket-powered shoe.''

-Dave Barry's 2008 Year in Review

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #620 on: 21 Aug 2007, 14:24 »

Were do you find inspiration for your comics?

Is it hard writing serious topics like suicide on a medium that isnt highly respected?
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2007, 15:21 by thatwittygeek »
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

Divide by Zero

• Emoticontraindication
  • "On top of everything else, it's superficial."
« Reply #621 on: 21 Aug 2007, 14:51 »

Thanks, celticgeek.
In another troubling note, U.S. intelligence sources report that Iran is developing "a gigantic rocket-powered shoe.''

-Dave Barry's 2008 Year in Review

Caiphana

• Curry sauce
  • WHOOSH
    • dA
« Reply #622 on: 22 Aug 2007, 13:08 »

Question: I love the mugs that CSOD sells... any chance we might see those as real-life merch? That would excite me beyond belief.
..so long as the word "cookie" is in your country's vocabulary, it's an okay place to be.

Those who forget the past may be doomed to repeat it, but those who refuse to learn from the past and move on are fucking idiots.

daimien

« Reply #623 on: 22 Aug 2007, 18:35 »

I've noticed you use a few psychological terms and was wondering if you have done any study in the field. 

kathe14

« Reply #624 on: 23 Aug 2007, 14:02 »

When is Veronica Reed coming back?

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #625 on: 23 Aug 2007, 16:09 »

Right now I'm a noob but I have a question which I really joined up on the forum to ask.
Have you read the U.S.A books by John Dos Pasos and did the character "Daughter" in anyway influence the personality of Faye? In the book Daughter is a texan girl who reacts violently to everyone she loves after her brother was killed in training to be a pilot in WW1. A lot of similarity's pop up but not to imply that you would plagiarize, it's just I was talking to someone if John Dos Pasos style and writing has influenced other people.
Really obscure question but something I wanted to find out. 

Nope.

Hey Jeph,

Now that Harry Potter is over, don't you think it's the duty of everyone who writes fiction to just accept that JK Rowling has them beat and lay down the pen?

It's time for Marten to die. Search your heart. You know it to be true.

I can't wait for Rowling's next series. I hope it's about FURRIES!

Jeph. when are you going to answer us?

Now, apparently.

Jeph, sir, what is your favorite type of cake?  Also, do you have any food allergies of which your army of admirers should be aware?

Chocolate. And the only food I seem to be allergic to is chain-store pizza (Dominos, Pizza Hut, Papa John's, etc.) I think it's a preservative they use in their dough or something.

How do you decide what to name your web-comic characters?

I'm just wondering, because, Raven's last name is Pritchard... Which is also my mother's maiden name(Prichard actually, but same difference). I guess my Maternal-Grandparents were born in Wales, though I'm Canadian. Kind'a a cool coincidence.

Do you just randomly pick names from a hat? Decide what sounds best? House of Names it?

I usually just pick first names that sound funny or anachronistic to me. Last names are easier because I can just Google for common last names in a person's given ethnicity. Or just make something up that sounds fancy and references Neuromancer, like Hanners' last name.

With the news that QC is 4 years old and rapidly approaching the 1000 point (though should guest strips be counted?) has there been any discussion about publishing the QC strip in a book form like the folks over at Exploitation Now did?  Granted, they ended their run (and a phenominal web comic if you havene't read it) before they did it, but there's no reason the first 1000 QC couldn't be printed in a paperback form as volume 1 (or the first 500 as Vol. 1 followed by 501-1000 as Vol. 2) while the strip continues on.  Immortalize your work in print Jeph!  The book will sell and sell well.  Between comic book stores, gaming stores and conventions alone you'd recoup the cost.

Tony

PS.  Guest strips could have their own section/chapter at the back of the book so you wouldn't have to explain each time you took a small hiatus due to a convention, illness or real life in general.  Could even throw a few Indie Tits pages in as well.

No way would I ever do 500 comics in one book. Do you have any idea how unweildy and expensive that would be? I'm thinkin' 200-strip collections, hopefully the first one by the end of 2007. I need to get off my ass and make this happen.

Indietits will have its own book(s), probably sooner and cheaper.

Did Raven die in a fire or something? Where's she been?

Edit: I just realized she's been missing in action since #888. 52 comics. Damn.

ohhhh shiiiiiiiiiiit

Dear Jeph:

Will you buy me a pony? Pleeeeaaaaseee?

No.

Jeph,
If you were had three wishes what would they be?

More wishes, fewer Republicans, three hours of real-life God Mode for everyone on the planet simultaneously.

How do you find new "indie" music to listen to?  I never seem to be able to be on top of what's new and hip.

OiNK, blogs, emails.

I'm new here, but this question has been plaguing me for a while. Back in one of the early strips there was a Year Book photo of Marten, which in the caption said he played Warhammer 40k. Now 40K is a pretty obscure reference unless someone has seen or played the game. So do/did you play the Warhammers? If so which army?

P.S. Just wanted to say I found your strip right around the VespAvenger plot line, and have been hooked ever since. I even went back and real through all the back comics, twice! You by far have the best web comic around and I would totally buy a copy of you ever put them into print form.

Never played it, but I always found it interesting to read about.

Hi Jeph, great comic man!!!

I'm a cute librarian (don't take my word for it - just look at my picture). Do you think there would be any chance I could convince Tai and her female "friends", to get it on with me?

Dude you look like Leonardo DiCaprio with downs syndrome in that avatar.

I actually joined mostly to ask this question...

How much time has passed from the point of view of the characters since the strip started? I supposed I could go back and count the days the whole way through, but that would be time-consuming and irritating. I remember that the whole "Marten's mom gives him a week off" took over 100 strips or summat.

ONE MILLION YEARS

Were do you find inspiration for your comics?

Is it hard writing serious topics like suicide on a medium that isnt highly respected?

I sit and think about things.

It's not really "hard." Unwise possibly, but not hard.

Question: I love the mugs that CSOD sells... any chance we might see those as real-life merch? That would excite me beyond belief.

Maybe, if I can find a way of shipping them without 10% of them breaking.

I've noticed you use a few psychological terms and was wondering if you have done any study in the field. 

I've watched CSI, does that count?

When is Veronica Reed coming back?

When I feel like it.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Tobuway22

« Reply #626 on: 23 Aug 2007, 23:46 »

This may have been asked all ready, and I'm not gonna look through all the pages to find out, but will any thing special happen on QC's 1000th strip? like in #500 with "The Talk"

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #627 on: 24 Aug 2007, 00:16 »

Everyone dies.

While fucking.

MC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #628 on: 24 Aug 2007, 01:06 »

hey Jeph, any chance your gonna bring back Ellen?

also.... can you do my laundry? It's piling up and I'm lazy.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #629 on: 25 Aug 2007, 21:22 »

what advice would you have for other webcomic authors?
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

Nanami

Hannelore
« Reply #630 on: 26 Aug 2007, 21:14 »

So I've tried to ask this question a couple of times, but the recent comic with Winslowe putting makeup on Hannelore leads me to ask again:

She was wearing makeup the first time we saw her.  She was also smoking and had multiple ear piercings.  What happened to those?

Playing With Matches

« Reply #631 on: 27 Aug 2007, 14:27 »

I was wondering - was the whole recent events about Penelope having a fan club planned, or did you make that comic after all of the OMG PENELOPE IS TEH SEXORZ comments?

pentaen

• Furry furrier
« Reply #632 on: 28 Aug 2007, 01:11 »

Jeph,

Now that you have indietits back are you starting to get bored of QC

Also OINK? Can i has invitez?

koernel

« Reply #633 on: 28 Aug 2007, 10:49 »

do you reply to pms?

bujiatang

« Reply #634 on: 28 Aug 2007, 18:25 »

Mr Jeph sir, while I would never want to change your comic, if you were to ask if I had a question about Questionable Content,-- I would answer: "What ever happened to mieville?"

RefD

• Larger than most fish
  • A heartfelt, moving tribute to ennui.
« Reply #635 on: 30 Aug 2007, 00:31 »

Everyone dies.

While fucking.

*flushes bright red and passes out*

billythehick

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://billythehick.blogspot.com
« Reply #636 on: 30 Aug 2007, 16:17 »

who's better, terry gilliam or tim burton?
(i say gilliam)
"WITH COLLOSAL CAPACITY COMES CONSIDERABLE CULPABILITY!"

Jenter888

« Reply #637 on: 31 Aug 2007, 13:55 »

iam wondering about hanners earrings......wouldnt she be afraid of infection of some sort? or was this question covered in some comic that i forgot about...

endofstart

« Reply #638 on: 31 Aug 2007, 21:11 »

iam wondering about hanners earrings......wouldnt she be afraid of infection of some sort? or was this question covered in some comic that i forgot about...

That also reminded me. When she first appeared in the comics she seems to wear lip stick....but then stopped after a couple strips....then there was the porn star make up strip....why did she wear make up then stop wearing make up all of a sudden? hmmmmmm

Spinal_Tap

« Reply #639 on: 01 Sep 2007, 09:34 »

Is the lady modelling your shirt in the merchandise place the base model for Faye's looks?
She looks like how I picture Faye, but without the aura of a slayer of thousands.

:mrgreen:
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2007, 09:37 by Spinal_Tap »

edible_spread

« Reply #640 on: 01 Sep 2007, 09:54 »

Yeah, I noticed this today when I was flicking through the old comics. We all know Sara was eaten by an allosaurus, but who was "Sarah", and whatever happened to her? :P

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=82

belladonnatook21

The Ask Jeph thread
« Reply #641 on: 01 Sep 2007, 09:57 »

Do you think you'll ever take part in a comic convention in the UK/Europe?

MC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #642 on: 01 Sep 2007, 19:38 »

Yeah, I noticed this today when I was flicking through the old comics. We all know Sara was eaten by an allosaurus, but who was "Sarah", and whatever happened to her? :P

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=82

hehe being picky about grammar is probably the most annoying [and hilarious] way to pick on someone.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #643 on: 02 Sep 2007, 13:33 »

whats up with your avatar? (take that the politest way possible)

and when did you decide to change the drawing style of your comics?

The Prefect

« Reply #644 on: 04 Sep 2007, 18:26 »

Dear Dispenser Of Free Stuff:

What is it with you and the no-llama plague? Srsly.

Also, do you realise that you give us more free entertainment than anything else I am currently thinking about, and if you decided to become a dirty rat bastard and sell out you could enter the ranks of lucrative comic billionaire?

DMZ

« Reply #645 on: 05 Sep 2007, 08:27 »

Jeph-
re: your allergy to chain-brand pizza...can you tolerate any other foods with basil, such as non-pizza industrial italian food? I ask 'cause my wife is allergic to basil, and wanted to throw that out, on the off chance that it helps.

-DMZ

GenericName

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #646 on: 06 Sep 2007, 16:01 »

Will the QC characters ever go on a road trip? That sounds amusing.

Also, I won't ask for an OiNK invite because that seems to sound noobish in my head, but I'd appreciate one anyways.
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

Veritas

« Reply #647 on: 06 Sep 2007, 23:37 »

What became of Steve and Meena?

and i miss Pizza Girl...

muteKi

« Reply #648 on: 09 Sep 2007, 12:30 »

1. Were there any names for the comic you passed over before deciding on this one (i.e., "Indie Jones" or something?)

2. Is the guy in #285 and #650 actually Angus?

3. Does Local Alternative Rag (#651) have a large separate section devoted solely to pornographic ads?

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
« Reply #649 on: 09 Sep 2007, 19:58 »

Would you ever consider putting the normal comic update schedule on hold or on some sort of rotation so you can redraw the older strips for publication?  A QC book is definitely what a lot of people want to see, and you've said before (I am fairly sure) that'd you'd like to redraw the older strips.  why not do it?  I'm sure most loyal fans wouldn't mind you updating newer strips maybe once or twice a week rather than every day.
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 49   Go Up