THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ask Jeph thread  (Read 1174122 times)

C-Rex

Re: The Ask Jeph thread
« Reply #1000 on: 04 Apr 2008, 10:24 »

It's a common typo, writing "teh" instead of "the".

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1001 on: 04 Apr 2008, 10:33 »

But it has specific overtones in 1337; and I presume that was the intention of the T-shirt.

Paul
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

catgal2005

« Reply #1002 on: 05 Apr 2008, 07:36 »

Sorry if anyone already asked this (I was too lazy to read 21 pages worth of posts)...but, anyway, I go to Mount Holyoke and I noticed that in the comic the library is called Williston, however that is the name of our library, not Smith's. Did you do that on purpose?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1003 on: 06 Apr 2008, 14:09 »

Will Faye's father's suicide ever be explained, or is it like one in real life where there's never any answer?

I had a close relative commit suicide without the usual warning signs and even if there had been a note it wouldn't have been an explanation.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

GenericName

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #1004 on: 06 Apr 2008, 16:58 »

Dude, that'd be a spoiler. Jeph's said he won't give away spoilers.
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #1005 on: 07 Apr 2008, 16:16 »

It's a common typo, writing "teh" instead of "the".

Odd. I've never done that one. I always do this: THe.

Sorry about your sleep schedule, Jeph. I know it's a pain if you actually plan to interact with other humans.

I wonder if you've the same sleep problems I do: namely, I'll get engrossed in something and forget the time till it's four or five in the morning. The problem with that is I'm very easily engrossed. I've found over the years that the only way I actually sleep at  night is if,  within five minutes after I yawn, I am in bed. Downsides: no tooth brushin', bathin', snackin', sex, meds, no nothing, or it's awake time, babee. Also, this usually happens at about ten p.m. The yawning, I mean. :-D

All in all, I do much better at sleeping during the day. Unless, of course, I actually want to. THen I might was well have drunk my weight in caffeine. :-o Yes, I think my eyes actually start bulging like this emoticon's at such times.
« Last Edit: 07 Apr 2008, 16:17 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

GenericName

• Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #1006 on: 07 Apr 2008, 18:15 »

Raoulle, youre blogging.

But in a good way. It's actually pretty interesting! A nice diversion from the book I'm supposed to read for school. Let me tell you all about it.
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #1007 on: 07 Apr 2008, 18:48 »

Ack! So I am. Odd. I've never blogged before. I always just blab inanely.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

UFOs8MyCat

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
    • MuhSpace
« Reply #1008 on: 08 Apr 2008, 23:56 »

Hey Jeph... I noticed you frequently newspost about screwing up your sleeping schedule.  I haven't taken the time to read through this thread as it's very long (I hope this can be forgiven) so I don't know if anyone else has offered suggestions or advice.  I'd always had the same problems... goes waaaay back to middle school at least.  I just don't get tired when I should.  Even if I've been up since 6am.  Turns out I have Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder.  Biological clock works, it's just a number of hours off.  This was a recent discovery and I talked to my friend who is a PhD in neuroscience... as a first attempt at rectifying this, he suggested taking melatonin in the evenings.  It's available OTC as a supplement.  The problem with DSPD is that you don't get the surge of melatonin in the evening like "normal" people get... which is triggered by nighttime and thus, makes you sleepy.  You get it way later.  I've only had to take the melatonin twice and I've been on a fairly normal sleep schedule for the last two weeks or so (Bed no later than 1am... which is a considerable improvement for me).

Of course, you could be like I was and really don't give two shits about what you should do to try to fix the problem.  You've been living with it just fine.  But it was starting to affect my job and I was consistently oversleeping... something had to be done, so I finally started taking my friend's advice.  So I'm just offering this up to you just in case you DO want to try to get back on track.  Melatonin supplements.  They're cheap (less than $5).  Take it in the evening and you'll be out like a light.

Crimison

« Reply #1009 on: 09 Apr 2008, 00:18 »

Well its been pretty entertaining reading 20+ pages of thread, nevertheless hopefully I wont be repeating questions.
I've really being enjoying QC, it has a rare down-to-earth flavor, like the smell of good coffee.

1. How does your family/people you meet react to your job as a webcomic? Or do you just explain that your an artist?

2. Since you said that you went to college for music, how did you progress to webcomic-ing as a job?
(Boredom, popularity, oh I can make money doing this whoo!)

3. What do like talking about? I don't mean on the internet due to the complexities of communication in person, but like your favorite bands or zombie preparation, or ..?

4. How often do you mentally break the 4th wall, like look at a new album and think "Damn Dora would totally love this." or see a poor awkward indie boy and think "MARTEN".

5. Do you have any pets?

(Oh, and I've heard good things about melatonin supplements but I've also heard that it can give pretty bad nightmares too.)

GenericName

• Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #1010 on: 09 Apr 2008, 03:59 »

Crimison's post reminded me of a question I have had.

If I were to mail you a boy who looks exactly like Marten, would you refund the postage?

MrSteevo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Bros before hoes dawg
« Reply #1011 on: 09 Apr 2008, 06:46 »

Jeph,

If I kill you, do I become you?

~Sincerely
Steevo.
You would not be able to kill me. I would win.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #1012 on: 09 Apr 2008, 15:27 »

Guys, what the fuck? Quit being creepy.

Specifically MrSteevo.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

jcvciii

« Reply #1013 on: 09 Apr 2008, 19:45 »

I don't know if this question has been asked or not before, any chance of a QC RSS feed for updates?

Jeff7

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1014 on: 09 Apr 2008, 19:48 »

No, no chance at all.
(Though I don't know why it is so out of date.)
« Last Edit: 09 Apr 2008, 19:50 by Jeff7 »

jcvciii

« Reply #1015 on: 09 Apr 2008, 19:49 »

I feel like an an idiot because I was just coming back to say I found it right after I posted. I guess that's just how it goes though.

MrSteevo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Bros before hoes dawg
« Reply #1016 on: 09 Apr 2008, 21:32 »

Guys, what the fuck? Quit being creepy.

Specifically MrSteevo.

Well I heard it happened with Micheal Jackson, so maybe it would happen with Jeph, or not, either way we'll know.

New Question though:

When are you going to patch up those holes in the 4th wall? Some Characters seem to be getting out.
« Last Edit: 09 Apr 2008, 21:37 by MrSteevo »

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #1017 on: 10 Apr 2008, 03:58 »

I just did.  The Hannelore, Penelope, Faye, Dora and Marten accounts have all been banned.

I didn't IP-ban them, I just placed a ban on the names.  The people behind the accounts should still be able to log in with their normal accounts.

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #1018 on: 10 Apr 2008, 04:32 »

Shame, I was enjoying the fourth-wall breach. Was it offically sanctioned? I remember Jeph saying he hated comics breaking the fourth wall.

Did you nuke the "questions to characters" thread?
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #1019 on: 10 Apr 2008, 04:53 »

I wasn't, it wasn't, he does and I did.

We had something like that a while back, but it was a one-off thing in reply to some creepy dude writing a love-poem to Dora.  Jeph was involved in that one and it was basically just a creative way to call the dude creepy and lock the thread.

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #1020 on: 10 Apr 2008, 05:06 »

Oh, well. Were they all unrelated, or was it a few people co-ordinating their stories?

And the "things to say after sex" is locked now. Bummer. I admire your playing the forum like that:

"I basically moved it into here so a bunch of you could say how bad an idea it was and I could lock it."
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2008, 05:11 by Doug S. Machina »
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #1021 on: 10 Apr 2008, 05:40 »

One person was posting as a bunch of people, but a couple of others were flying solo.

And that was a half-joke.  That thread didn't belong in the general forum, but I pretty much knew that the "I Like Fish" folks wouldn't like it either.  I was already planning on locking it, but it just didn't feel right to leave it where it didn't belong.

nightwing2024

« Reply #1022 on: 10 Apr 2008, 05:42 »

*sigh* If you must know, we were happenstance encounters that decided to coordinate. I really can't grasp the big deal. All of us were different people, btw.

JorickHorn

• Not quite a lurker
  • I invite you to consider this post.
« Reply #1023 on: 10 Apr 2008, 08:00 »

Ditto. This is Hanners. Shame, really, I was enjoying playing the OCD. est, couldn't you at least have left the posts up?
...What is up with Raven's breasts?
I just divided by zero! ^_^         ...           OH, SHI-

vgaer

• Plantmonster
  • The puppy dog eyes will only get you so far...
« Reply #1024 on: 10 Apr 2008, 13:38 »

Are you going to Lollapalooza?

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #1025 on: 10 Apr 2008, 13:42 »

The truth comes out, you lying dogs! Well, it was fun. JorickHorn, you were doing pretty well, I thought. (And Marten and Penelope. It started to go too far after that, but I still enjoyed it.) But The Artist frowns on these things, and when he frowns, the forums tremble.

I mean, this whole thing only exists on his sufferance. So, how did a bunch of comics roleplayers happen to come together?

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #1026 on: 10 Apr 2008, 17:01 »

Doug, this is the "Ask Jeph" thread, not the "ask a bunch of people who were RPing Jeph's characters" thread.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #1027 on: 11 Apr 2008, 06:34 »

Salutations! (Yeah, I know, but 'hey jeph' was getting old, and it seemed rude to just start with the question... but I digress....)

Was this strip influenced by this?

Maybe! Mitch's stuff is pretty consistently great. I pull inspiration from all over.

sorry if this has been asked before, but when are you and Cristy scheduled to get married?  And congrats dude!!

We're considering going to Vegas in October to get married during the World Bull-Riding Finals.

I am not joking.

And yeah I met Gabe Newell, he is a really nice guy! I fanboyed.

I duno if its been asked before, it probably has, but what chances are there for cameo roles?.... just the apearence of someones name/uesrname/avatar on a random comic at a random moment would be a really unusual addition to an already AMAZING comic...

Almost zero percent.

Well, looks like Jeph didn't drop by Sakura Con this year. Of course, I know it always depends partially on what kind of invitation the convention offers, and that often happens behind the scenes.

Hope to see you at a Northwest anime con in the future, Jeph. (Yeah, I know you're not an anime artist, but we love you nonetheless ;) )

We're doing something out there this May...I can't remember the name ATM but keep your eyes peeled.

Dear Jeff,
How do you draw with boxing gloves on your hands?

Sincerely,
Gdog, MN

baleeted.

QFT.

Dearest Jeph,

Would it be a breach of copyright if you made some Dune shirts? 'Cause we all know that'd be win, really.

Yes, but I might do it someday anyhow. Lord knows it'd be less of a crime than the Brian Herbert novels.

Do you enjoy writing the comic? Does it feel more like work or a hobby?

If I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't do it. It feels like work, but fun work.

Will you be my friend?

Have you ever met John Campbell?

Doubtful. I am shy.

Maybe? I know a lot of Johns.

Sorry if anyone already asked this (I was too lazy to read 21 pages worth of posts)...but, anyway, I go to Mount Holyoke and I noticed that in the comic the library is called Williston, however that is the name of our library, not Smith's. Did you do that on purpose?

Nah, it's just a wealthy-family name from hereabouts so I figured it'd be appropriate. It was either Williston or Skinner.

Will Faye's father's suicide ever be explained, or is it like one in real life where there's never any answer?

I had a close relative commit suicide without the usual warning signs and even if there had been a note it wouldn't have been an explanation.

no spoilers

I wonder if you've the same sleep problems I do

No I just have a horrible schedule.

Well its been pretty entertaining reading 20+ pages of thread, nevertheless hopefully I wont be repeating questions.
I've really being enjoying QC, it has a rare down-to-earth flavor, like the smell of good coffee.

1. How does your family/people you meet react to your job as a webcomic? Or do you just explain that your an artist?

2. Since you said that you went to college for music, how did you progress to webcomic-ing as a job?
(Boredom, popularity, oh I can make money doing this whoo!)

3. What do like talking about? I don't mean on the internet due to the complexities of communication in person, but like your favorite bands or zombie preparation, or ..?

4. How often do you mentally break the 4th wall, like look at a new album and think "Damn Dora would totally love this." or see a poor awkward indie boy and think "MARTEN".

5. Do you have any pets?

(Oh, and I've heard good things about melatonin supplements but I've also heard that it can give pretty bad nightmares too.)

1. They didn't take it seriously until they saw my first tax return (my dad is an accountant).

2. Boredom.

3. I mostly talk about webcomics and video games because all my friends are nerds and/or webcomics artists.

4. Never.

5. Three bunnies.

Crimison's post reminded me of a question I have had.

If I were to mail you a boy who looks exactly like Marten, would you refund the postage?

Please do not send me your dead bodies

Jeph,

If I kill you, do I become you?

~Sincerely
Steevo.

Shame, I was enjoying the fourth-wall breach. Was it offically sanctioned? I remember Jeph saying he hated comics breaking the fourth wall.

Did you nuke the "questions to characters" thread?

I haven't been on the forums in like a week or something. Breaking the fourth wall is retarded.

Are you going to Lollapalooza?

No I prefer to enjoy being alive
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

JorickHorn

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1028 on: 11 Apr 2008, 09:34 »

Doug, this is the "Ask Jeph" thread, not the "ask a bunch of people who were RPing Jeph's characters" thread.

Which, incidentally, is a thread I'd rather have locked than deleted, as it was.

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce
  • *Learning to look chastened*
« Reply #1029 on: 11 Apr 2008, 20:35 »

Will you be at Comicon International in San Diego?
"Nobody needs America's help.....

until they NEED IT!"

Rusty

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #1030 on: 11 Apr 2008, 20:37 »

will you be taking a short break after you get married?

Just One More...

« Reply #1031 on: 11 Apr 2008, 22:15 »

That would give me an additional reason to go to ComiCon this year.

Also, Jeph: Supposing a killer squid went rampant in the apartment complex Faye and Marten and Hanners live in, would Pintsize be to blame or would it just be another wacky incident that cannot be explained but easily solved by everybody moving in with Sven and potentially partaking in a giant QC orgy where in stead of sex it'd be coffee and playing uno?

Just... Just wondering...

JorickHorn

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1032 on: 11 Apr 2008, 22:18 »

So was the little Marten doll Hanners made actually a voodoo doll, or what?

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #1033 on: 12 Apr 2008, 23:53 »

Yes. And I'm probably taking next year off so if you wanna buy shit from me this is the year.

will you be taking a short break after you get married?

Possible but unlikely.

Supposing a killer squid went rampant in the apartment complex Faye and Marten and Hanners live in, would Pintsize be to blame or would it just be another wacky incident that cannot be explained but easily solved by everybody moving in with Sven and potentially partaking in a giant QC orgy where in stead of sex it'd be coffee and playing uno?

Just... Just wondering...

This is terrible. Do not be terrible.

whaaaaaaaaaat
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

JorickHorn

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1034 on: 13 Apr 2008, 00:02 »

whaaaaaaaaaat

Well, considering it is an alternate universe, an actual voodoo doll doesn't seem that far-fetched, if you ask me.
Whatever, you're the artist.

Nasgarath

« Reply #1035 on: 13 Apr 2008, 14:40 »

whaaaaaaaaaat

I think he's refering to this strip.
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=546

If it helps.

Just One More...

« Reply #1036 on: 13 Apr 2008, 14:57 »

What happened to the music blog that Marten made?

(whoah a non-terrible question this time. who woulda thunk it?)

catgal2005

« Reply #1037 on: 13 Apr 2008, 17:27 »

Ah, I see. Skinner is the name of an academic building here at MHC, too. And the name of the green.

Evander

• Emoticontraindication
    • http://evander.joethecat.com
« Reply #1038 on: 14 Apr 2008, 08:54 »

I know it's early to be asking, and all, but are you planning on goign to SPX this year?
Make flame love, not flame war.

kkrrissttinnaa

« Reply #1039 on: 14 Apr 2008, 11:48 »

Jeph are you going to NY ComicCon?  You totally should.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #1040 on: 14 Apr 2008, 13:46 »

Well, considering it is an alternate universe, an actual voodoo doll doesn't seem that far-fetched, if you ask me.

New peoples, when asking a question, keep these six words in mind:

This man is doing it right.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Alphalpha

« Reply #1041 on: 15 Apr 2008, 01:42 »

He's not just the artist - he's also the writer :D

Jeph, what are your opinions on Feist? I've been hearing split opinions about her for a while and I wanted an opinion from someone who knows his music.

dancewith

« Reply #1042 on: 16 Apr 2008, 16:56 »

So Jeph, It's safe to say I am a fan. I've read all of the comic thus far, I am in love with the characters and if I had any money right now my ass would be all over the merchandising section! I suppose what I want to ask you is something quite personal so ofcourse dont answer if you dont want to (well I cant force you, =|) But I am quite a mature girlie, 19, but I have the head of a 40-year-old, perhaps older, I just cant help being mature and well realistic in life! I wanted to know in your opinion how much logic and maturity really matters when it comes to picking a girlfriend and also where would you place Faye on the maturity scale.. (she's my fav character, sorry I dont care how offended Raven would be, Faye kicks everyone elses ass in greatnessness!) Faye is quite a closed person, but do her emotional and mental maturity come to the same level? *silently jumps up and down at the glee of her first post*

kasuturo

« Reply #1043 on: 16 Apr 2008, 20:43 »

Three questions regarding Faye:

1.- When will she have a new haircut?
2.- When will she be thinner?
3.- When will we have some Faye fanservice!?

Two questions regarding the comic:

1.- Are you accepting guest strips?
2.- What would someone need to have a guest strip featured?
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2008, 20:46 by kasuturo »

Oscar

« Reply #1044 on: 16 Apr 2008, 20:45 »

Greetings to all QC fans, and obviously Jeph.

I just wish to make an observation about the 'cast' section in the QC website,
I think it is somewhat out of date or incomplete, since you have not added Steve's
new girlfriend, the 'morgue girl'. Also, on Dora's info it does not say that she is
Marten's girlfriend. Just small comments.

I would very much like to know what character class you played in highschool?
since I am certain that you were a D&D guy, probably still are. I prefer human
clerics of Pelor, though I've used Wizards and Wizard/Cleric combos as well.

Best regards.
Oscar

reserve

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1045 on: 17 Apr 2008, 19:07 »

I'm sorry, but is there a reason Faye should be thinner? She looks perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned...or do you find her CARTOON BODY offensive? I hate to say it, but I cannot believe that you're trying to enforce traditional female body stereotypes on WEBCOMIC CHARACTERS. Ew, grossed out much?
Shelley's a vampire, Byron knows all about it.

kasuturo

« Reply #1046 on: 17 Apr 2008, 20:01 »

I'm sorry, but is there a reason Faye should be thinner? She looks perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned...or do you find her CARTOON BODY offensive? I hate to say it, but I cannot believe that you're trying to enforce traditional female body stereotypes on WEBCOMIC CHARACTERS. Ew, grossed out much?

It is just that, for me at least, she looked perfect a loooooooong time ago, and I was wondering if we'd see her again like that.

Anyway, you're right about stereotypes... *looks at sketchbooks and says "yeh, he's so right..."*

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #1047 on: 17 Apr 2008, 20:03 »

What does Steve do for a living?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #1048 on: 17 Apr 2008, 22:29 »

3.- When will we have some Faye fanservice!?

I'm gonna take a shot at the answers to the first three questions and see how accurate they are when Jeph replies!

1. When I feel like it!
2. Probably never!
3. Never you creepy bastard

np96

« Reply #1049 on: 18 Apr 2008, 04:09 »

I have a question about the language used, specifically the profanity/slang. I've noticed words like tw@t and knockers being used in your comic, are these words commonly used  in America because in the UK, we use them all the time. It aslo reminded me of Robocop 3 when at the end, the bad guy calls the little girl a "slag". Is this also used commonly in America?

np96
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 49   Go Up